Welcome to Close Combat Series
  Login or Register Home  ·  Downloads  ·  Forums  ·  Combat Camera  ·  Help  

Survey
Do incapacitations count as a soldier's kills?

Yes
No

Results
Polls

Votes 1180
Comments: 1

Shout Box!!

Only registered users can shout. Please login or create an account.

Main Menu
Articles & News  
    Help
    Player`s News
    Site News
    Multiplayer
    Terrain Challenge
    Boot Camp
Community  
    Forums
    Downloads
    Combat Camera
    MOOXE @ Youtube
    Statistics
Members  
    Private Messages
    Your Account
    Logout

Donations
Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
12/18/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
11/08/2021

Anonymous - $15.00
04/09/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
04/05/2021

Anonymous - $20.00
02/20/2021

Anonymous - $10.00
12/29/2020

Anonymous - $1.00
11/06/2020

ZAPPI4 - $20.00
10/10/2020

Find our site useful? Make a small donation to show your support.

Search for at
Close Combat Series Advanced Search

Goto page 1, 2  Next
 Author
Dima

Rep: 87.3
votes: 16

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 7:08 am Post subject: Stalingrad RA units Reply with quote

62nd Army, that defended the city, had following units on 11th of September 1942 just prior to the first German assault on city (13/09/42):

33rd GRD - 864men.
35th GRD - 454men.
87th RD - 1819men.
98th RD - 465men.
112th RD - 2297men.
131st RD - 2540men.
196th RD - 1004men.
229th RD - 192men.
244th RD - 3685men.
315th RD - 2873men.
399th RD - 565men.
10th NKVD RD - 8615men.
10th RBr - 1912men.
115th RBr - 4868men.
149th RBr - 4125men.
124th RBr - 3607men.
42nd RBr - 5032men.
9th MRBr - 1073men.
38th MRBr - 2370men.
133rd TBr - 1107men.
27th TBr - 1181men.

They were same low on equipment, f.e. 131st RD had only 14 ATR and 11 mortars, 196th RD had 6 ATR and 3 mortars, while 98th RD had 1 ATR and 0 mortars  Smile.

Manoi

Rep: 89.5
votes: 7

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 8:05 am Post subject: Re: Stalingrad RA units Reply with quote

Great Dima.
Have you still the list of the BG's of the Stalingrad mod Vers 1.2 : just to compare...

Dima

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 4:38 pm Post subject: Re: Stalingrad RA units Reply with quote

Hey Manoi,

That list is not exactly Stal 2 BG list, but the list of units 62A had to defend the city in early September.
No wonder that the Germans could push that fast through the city initially.

Btw, some of the strongest units in the list: 115th RBr, 124th RBr, 149th RBr and 315th RD - were defending the northern part of the city, including the Market, and were not used in the city thus are not represented in Stal mod.

tigercub

Rep: 23.5
votes: 2

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 11:52 pm Post subject: Re: Stalingrad RA units Reply with quote

Are you planning to add the Molotov cocktail launcher Dima?  i dont know how often they used them or what units had them but they were there.
or perhaps release the Soviet mine dogs.

the isea was simple a trained dog carrieng 7 kg of heavy explosives launched to the underbelly of german tank and other armoured vehicles. pretty bad for the suicide animal. Rolling Eyes

Soviets tested the AT dogs during the military conflict with Japan in 1939 quite successfully, destroying several Japanese light tanks.
In August 1941 Soviets had 10 army units of AT dogs (consisted of 4 companies till July 1942, later - of 2 companies. Each company had 126 dogs). Such At dog units also had AT rifles platoons and snipers for killing the missed dogs with explosives. The first action AT dogs saw during the battle of Moscow in autumn 1941, 28th unit of AT dogs destroyed 42 German tanks and 2 armoured cars during the battle of Stalingrad. In one battle 15 from 17 dogs could reached the German tanks.

till October 1943 (when AT dog units were disbanded) Soviet Army had 2 regiments of AT dogs and 168 separate units, battalions and companies of AT dogs. Taking into consideration such big amount of AT dog units 300 destroyed German tanks seems reasonable, even not enough for 2 regiments and 168 units (that means that every unit with hundreds dogs could destroy only 2 tanks in average, a very ineffective, I would say......If the info about 28th unit is correct - 44 destroyed German AFVs during one battle, that means that the majority of AT dog units was completely unsuccessful!)

In principle, this idea is very strange as Soviet Army had quite sufficient amount of infantry AT rifles during the battle of Moscow and Stalingrad and using good AT rifles against tanks seems for me much more effective, safety and cheaper than unpredictable dog with two AT mines.

Tigercub

The best Target is the one you just Hit!

Started with CC1 Demo

Dima

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 5:30 am Post subject: Re: Stalingrad RA units Reply with quote

Quote:
Are you planning to add the Molotov cocktail launcher Dima?  i dont know how often they used them or what units had them but they were there.

yes, Ampulomet will be in new version Smile.

Quote:
In principle, this idea is very strange as Soviet Army had quite sufficient amount of infantry AT rifles during the battle of Moscow and Stalingrad and using good AT rifles against tanks seems for me much more effective, safety and cheaper than unpredictable dog with two AT mines.

during tests PTRD couldn't disable SdKfz 251 although penetrated its engine 7 times.

Digs

Rep: 56.7
votes: 5

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:13 am Post subject: Re: Stalingrad RA units Reply with quote

Looking forward to the new version, do you have a list of what will be improved?.

tripwire

Rep: 37.5

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:14 pm Post subject: Re: Stalingrad RA units Reply with quote

Yes, I am also looking forward to this, Dima.  Thanks for all your efforts!

CSO_Talorgan

Rep: 72.5
votes: 1

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 5:36 pm Post subject: Re: Stalingrad RA units Reply with quote

tigercub wrote (View Post):
the Molotov cocktail launcher

What was it like?

tigercub

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 4:37 am Post subject: Re: Stalingrad RA units Reply with quote

Dima how is it going?

Started with CC1 Demo

Dima

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 9:48 am Post subject: Re: Stalingrad RA units Reply with quote

tigercub wrote (View Post):
Dima how is it going?

digging, gathering information bit by bit, changing data files slowly.

By now have all the TOEs down to SMG for the RA units defending the city in September. So the RA BGs will be totally different with all new units.
Found alot of new info for the German units assaulting the city, so will not be generic heavy weapon and small arms like in v1.2 but new German BGs will have precise and detailed composition with all new units.
Added forward observes as they were really important during this battle.

Will post some pics of new BGs soon.

Drizzt

Rep: 121
votes: 9

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 11:05 am Post subject: Re: Stalingrad RA units Reply with quote

Hi Dima, just for curiosity, which is the difference between a rifle division and a rifle brigade?
In my “uninformed way of think” I thought that a rifle brigade was a small “offhanded” rifle division, but in the first post I have discovered that, for example, 115RBr had more than 4000 men and, a depleted (depleted right? I’m not sure) rifle division like the 229th instead continues to exist without become part of and offhanded rifle brigade (I repeat that this is what I thought, as personal supposition, about rifle brigades: I’m totally uniformed).

Drizzt

Dima

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 1:35 pm Post subject: Re: Stalingrad RA units Reply with quote

hi Drizzt,

Rifle Brigade was a stop gap measure in 1941-42 when there was a shortage of artillery and not enough officer capable of commanding Rifle Division.
Rifle Brigade had a bayonet strength like half of RD but didn't have same artillery component, AT battalion, Engineer Battalion, supply units, etc so basicaly it was unable to act independable and needed support from higher formations.
In late 1942-1943 most of RBs were converted to RDs.  

As far as I understand it was not a total manpower of 229RD but a bayonet strength so most of the rear units were intact. Anyway it was withdrawn for refitting same time.

dj

Rep: 157.1

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 5:50 pm Post subject: Re: Stalingrad RA units Reply with quote

The Germans and their collaborator allies had the initial advantage.  But curious to know the RA troop strengths late in the campaign as they amassed huge reserves across the river to assemble the counter-attack.  The RA was said to have well over 1 million in reserves...and the RA sustained 1 mil wounded/KIA casualties throughout the whole campaign.

Drizzt

Rep: 121

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 5:54 pm Post subject: Re: Stalingrad RA units Reply with quote

Thanks for the info Dima, now it's clear. And about your work on stalingrad mod of course I'm also looking forward to it.

Drizzt

Dima

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 6:13 pm Post subject: Re: Stalingrad RA units Reply with quote

dj wrote (View Post):
The Germans and their collaborator allies had the initial advantage.  But curious to know the RA troop strengths late in the campaign as they amassed huge reserves across the river to assemble the counter-attack.  The RA was said to have well over 1 million in reserves...and the RA sustained 1 mil wounded/KIA casualties throughout the whole campaign.

By the end of Stalingrad battle the losses were roughly the same for both sides - over 1mln as KIA/WIA/MIA each side.

Tejszd

Rep: 133.6
votes: 19

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 6:25 pm Post subject: Re: Stalingrad RA units Reply with quote

An updated Stalingrad is eagerly awaited....

tigercub

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 4:23 am Post subject: Re: Stalingrad RA units Reply with quote

very much so! +2

Started with CC1 Demo

tripwire

Rep: 37.5

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 4:48 pm Post subject: Re: Stalingrad RA units Reply with quote

An update to Stalingrad would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks for your continued work, Dima.

Dima

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 9:16 pm Post subject: Re: Stalingrad RA units Reply with quote

Just to keep it going...

244 StuG Abteilung that was supporting 71.ID on 13.09.42 had only 6 StuG operational while 112RD+196RD which were against 71.ID had 6 ATR, 1 76mm and a couple of 45mm together.
Was it a coincidence that the Germans attacked the weakest units? Wink

Tejszd

Rep: 133.6
votes: 19

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 10:50 pm Post subject: Re: Stalingrad RA units Reply with quote

I would think it was good scouting not a fluke that the Germans main effort usually hit weak units and or the dividing line between units....

Post new topicReply to topic printer-friendly view Close Combat Series Forum Index -> CC5 Stalingrad
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Jump to: