Welcome to Close Combat Series
  Login or Register Home  ·  Downloads  ·  Forums  ·  Combat Camera  ·  Help  

Survey
Do incapacitations count as a soldier's kills?

Yes
No

Results
Polls

Votes 1179
Comments: 1

Shout Box!!

Only registered users can shout. Please login or create an account.

Main Menu
Articles & News  
    Help
    Player`s News
    Site News
    Multiplayer
    Terrain Challenge
    Boot Camp
Community  
    Forums
    Downloads
    Combat Camera
    MOOXE @ Youtube
    Statistics
Members  
    Private Messages
    Your Account
    Logout

Donations
Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
12/18/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
11/08/2021

Anonymous - $15.00
04/09/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
04/05/2021

Anonymous - $20.00
02/20/2021

Anonymous - $10.00
12/29/2020

Anonymous - $1.00
11/06/2020

ZAPPI4 - $20.00
10/10/2020

Find our site useful? Make a small donation to show your support.

Search for at
Close Combat Series Advanced Search

Goto page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Author
johnsilver

Rep: 61.3
votes: 4

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 9:17 pm Post subject: Re: TLD Kharkov Mod bugs report and suggestions Reply with quote

Quote:
I noted that you have 122mm field gun with HT rounds pretty sure they did not have them!

and that its HE was a bit low not effective for it size!

Think Drizzt kind of made up for this with only making the field guns worthwhile vs armor when they automatically pick up armor/target them on their own and *not* when you target them yourselves if you tested them yourselves. They will have the "spread" effect on fire, even when they have a clear/light tan LOS line and don't seem to do much towards armor and of course are generally targeted themselves then.

As for the amount of hits required for tanks, I don't think it's that bad. The 10.5's for instance have counted over 10 on a KV before a kill on one occasion and that is hits.

The power of artillery explosions (lost tanks) Katysusha blasts (lost tanks) and especially? Those werfrahman blasts that have fairly "tight" areas of fire and more effective than the Katyusha's are (to me) far worse than the artillery and **not** complaining at all about those, as just refuse to deploy the werfrahman as Germans and would like to see the Russians use more Katyusha's when playing against the AI.

Dima

Rep: 87.3
votes: 16

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 11:03 pm Post subject: Re: TLD Kharkov Mod bugs report and suggestions Reply with quote

Quote:
I noted that you have 122mm field gun with HT rounds pretty sure they did not have them!

of course they didn't.

Quote:
and that its HE was a bit low not effective for it size!

yes, same problem as with UK 95mm - cast iron shells Smile.

Drizzt

Rep: 121
votes: 9

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 12:13 am Post subject: Re: TLD Kharkov Mod bugs report and suggestions Reply with quote

To John Silver: I take your post in the right way don’t worry. Suggestions are totally welcomed and about this argument, simply, I have already explained that I prefer don’t change the balance that I have created.

To Tigercub: about number of heavy guns and rocket launchers please see my reply to John Silver above (in this post).

To Tigercub and Dima: about heat shells of 122mm guns yes, I know that they don’t were available: as I have said in another post I have done an “experiment” to obtain both direct and indirect fire used by heavy guns including them (and to see if the game engine changed from one to another or not): unfortunately, it was impossible to set both kind of fire in one kind of ammo (in this case both in HE). I'm not sure if to eliminate heat shells for them or not (for the fact that they simulate direct fire): I will decide... (and another thing: I’m not 100% sure but also the 10.5cm german heavy gun probably need a correction: in this case the correction should be to use AP shells instead heat shells for the direct fire).

Drizzt

Tejszd

Rep: 133.6
votes: 19

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 7:31 pm Post subject: Re: TLD Kharkov Mod bugs report and suggestions Reply with quote

Drizzt wrote (View Post):
To John Silver: I take your post in the right way don’t worry. Suggestions are totally welcomed and about this argument, simply, I have already explained that I prefer don’t change the balance that I have created.

By using the difficulty slider to later the forces you are not taking away the historically accurate Line Vs Line you have created but are making one side or the other easier or harder, using quantity, type of units, morale, etc. that you choose, to balance the game better between unequal opponents (human or AI).

Drizzt

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 8:10 pm Post subject: Re: TLD Kharkov Mod bugs report and suggestions Reply with quote

To Tejszd: of course I know it, it’s my choice don't do this kind of work. I consider it like "to cheat", it's only my point of view: I really don't like the different difficulty levels (I have never used them and I have never used vetmods).

Drizzt

johnsilver

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 4:56 am Post subject: Re: TLD Kharkov Mod bugs report and suggestions Reply with quote

Drizzt wrote (View Post):
To Tejszd: of course I know it, it’s my choice don't do this kind of work. I consider it like "to cheat", it's only my point of view: I really don't like the different difficulty levels (I have never used them and I have never used vetmods).

Drizzt

We continue going over this Drizzt and it is indeed your mod. Not complaining.. It's a lot of fune, but you posted above: "I consider it like "to cheat" and playing, well like in my case and am sure 99% of the others who vary the opponents strength against the AI is not a cheat as we make it as hard as we can, hence the various vetmods available.

Some of the mods which DO allow setting the player as vet, AI to green will severely cripple the actual player. There are some BOB mods like this as examples.

Running through games with no opposition is no fun, making them difficult is.

Drizzt

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 9:37 am Post subject: Re: TLD Kharkov Mod bugs report and suggestions Reply with quote

to John Silver: yes, to play with no opposition is not good, it's a matter concerning the IA: many many games have an IA ridiculous (for example big productions like total war games have a really, really bad IA towards their badget: no real diplomacy, money cheat, and "strange" moves on the battlefield if I remember well). IA it's a serious question than need many, many time for a real fine development (almost always, software houses don't do this kind of work, it's more easy "to cheat"), but this thing has nothing to do with CC forcepools. Forcepools must have a (plausible) historical balance in my opinion and they will remain in this way. Anyway some org game options that make TLD more hard to play are already present moving the difficulty strength bar.

Drizzt

MG422

Rep: 6.8

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 5:21 pm Post subject: Re: TLD Kharkov Mod bugs report and suggestions Reply with quote

Drizzt,

Much thanks again for creating such a great mod.  Also for fixing and responding to some of the issues that members have made.

Also thanks to John Silver for all of his feedback on it as well.

I noticed when I downloaded the 2.2 file yesterday it showed up as file type of .man and not as a .rar (eventhough it shows up as this on the link).  I just got two windows 8.1 lap tops and dont believe it is a win 8.1 thing.  Last night, I was able to change the extension to .rar and the file looks correct I haven't installed it yet). I do not know if you want to let people know or change the extension on the file to .rar.  

Plan to begin playing it next week.  If I see anything else, I will let you know.

FMJ

Rep: 29
votes: 2

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 5:36 pm Post subject: Re: TLD Kharkov Mod bugs report and suggestions Reply with quote

Hi mg422,

you just need "7zip" to use the man file, its a pretty good program, free as well. Simple to install 7zip, then just right click on the 'man' file to extract.
http://www.7-zip.org/

Hi Drizzt, thanks for all your efforts on this, getting ready to start a new campaign and looking forward to playing.

I wonder if its best to play as grmns or ruskies first? Cheers

johnsilver

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 7:46 pm Post subject: Re: TLD Kharkov Mod bugs report and suggestions Reply with quote

Quote:
I noticed when I downloaded the 2.2 file yesterday it showed up as file type of .man and not as a .rar (eventhough it shows up as this on the link).

Hi MG422 and welcome to the discussion.

Drizzt made a fine mod with his Kharkov one here.

You will need the 2.0 full version, then install the 2.2 patch onto it as well.

Kharkov download

It's not hard to do and his read me included, as well in that discussion page tells how. it fixes some bugs. Main 2.0 file was around 350mb as recall.

Have fun, I have gone thru this thing 3 times (or on 3rd) and having a blast.

JS

Drizzt

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 8:45 pm Post subject: Re: TLD Kharkov Mod bugs report and suggestions Reply with quote

to mg422: I have used winrar to compress the files (I'm sure: I have checked it now): are you sure to have winrar properly installed? I don't have win8, anyway I have fixed it one time to one of my friends and seems to me enough similar to win7 (I have seen it only 15 minutes). Try to unistall and reinstall winrar if you have it already installed.

to FMJ: I don't have preferences but probably to play with russians it's a bit more difficult.

Drizzt

Schmal_Turm

Rep: 60.4
votes: 1

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 8:22 pm Post subject: Re: TLD Kharkov Mod bugs report and suggestions Reply with quote

Drizzt,

Decided to try something different and play the operation "Battle of Kharkov" and when I got to the Borovaia map as I was nearing the end of the time it crashed two times in succession. I was able to replay it with no damage and then the third time it played through even though I did nothing different.

"No plan ever survives first contact with the enemy." Moltke

johnsilver

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 4:15 am Post subject: Re: TLD Kharkov Mod bugs report and suggestions Reply with quote

The more I play this, the more it is enjoyable and have to get around the weaknesses of each side, or use the strengths. The German mechanized infantry units that don't have the Stug F, the units that have at best the captured 76AT gun. German armored units missing the F2.

The Infantry (German) are still weak vs armor with the latest patch. I have managed to damage armor now, but that is all with the tellermine equipped AT teams.

The KV1(E) is the "King" of the battlefield. Hope that a 75mm will pick it up, have an artillery piece on the map, a 88mm equipped unit, or multiple F2's, because that thing is nearly impervious.

Drizzt

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 4:41 pm Post subject: Re: TLD Kharkov Mod bugs report and suggestions Reply with quote

to John Silver: about AT infantry soldiers I can only say that this time all it has set in the right way. At short distance they are strong/medium (about power against tanks), at medium and long distance they are weak/very weak (and seems to me right: no panzershreck or panzerfaust in 1942). Only soldiers with mines are very strange for me: it seems to me that they never (or rarely? I hope rarely) use mines.

Drizzt

Aetius

Rep: 89.2

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 3:38 pm Post subject: Re: TLD Kharkov Mod bugs report and suggestions Reply with quote

I'm Playing the Kharkov 2.2 mod as the soviets Vs AI on WAR.

Everything works but i've had frequent crashes just before or after battles kicking me out of WAR, i could allways resume if i started WAR again and resume the campaign.
I was really getting into the mod and amazed on the agressive German AI, i' ve played several days into the grand campaign now and right after a battle the game crashed, everytime i want to open the saved grand campaign WAR freezes.

I've tried "changing sides" using the save game editor but the problem remains.

Does anyone know a program that opens saved games for editing?

Thanks in advance

johnsilver

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 6:13 pm Post subject: Re: TLD Kharkov Mod bugs report and suggestions Reply with quote

Apologies for playing "Too Late the hero" here (good Michael Caine war flick BTW), but I learned long ago to make dbl backups, like "B1, B2 etc.. Then always redo something like "stop" as a save point when ending a battle for that terrible issue occurs you just described, because it's an ultimate game crasher unless you go back to another game point and retry.

You are using the 4.50.15b patch? Just making sure. I had a handful of minor CTD issues with this mod, but nothing major where couldn't get back to it and finish the same battle again with WAR and that patch.

Drizzt

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 8:24 pm Post subject: Re: TLD Kharkov Mod bugs report and suggestions Reply with quote

to Aetius: what John Silver explains is right. I also suggest to you, as I say in the readme file, to uninstall WAR and my mod (conserving savegame files) and to reinstall all (be sure to delete all related folders even if empty before to reinstall all): maybe it's an installation corrupted problem and in this way you can resolve the problem.

Drizzt

Aetius

Rep: 89.2

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 7:17 am Post subject: Re: TLD Kharkov Mod bugs report and suggestions Reply with quote

You 're right i've should have backupped my game, but i didn't (sadly enough).
Been playing CC for more than 10 years now, i should know better by now  Embarassed

@Drizzt,

I don't think a full reinstall will solve the problem, i can play the Kharkov mod but it just freezes when opening the saved game of the grand campaign i was playing, so i guess it's only the saved game file that's corrupted.

Thanks for making such a challeging mod Vs AI, i really enjoy playing the mod.

I'll have no other option than to start a new GC.

Drizzt

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 9:22 am Post subject: Re: TLD Kharkov Mod bugs report and suggestions Reply with quote

to Aetius: remember only that the kind of corrupted installation I have in mind involve only (or in major part) the savegame files and to try to reinstall, deleting before all empty folders, it's a matter of five minutes. Anyway as you prefer.

Another thing: I have said that what John Silver has explained is right, but to be honest with you I must also say that I have never had this kind of problems (corrupted savegame and/or installation). When I say never, I really mean never (never with CC5 and its mods, never with TLD/WAR and its mods), and I think it's because I never use modswap and similar things.

I only remember a similar problem many, many years ago after have used modswap (or a similar thing) just to try to see how it worked, than I have used it no more. I know that you haven't used modswap to install my mod, I speak about a continuative usage of modswap (and similar things) that can create problems also after the installation (also manual) of a mod, and also if you haven't used it after the installation of a mod (but before yes).

Drizzt

johnsilver

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 3:05 pm Post subject: Re: TLD Kharkov Mod bugs report and suggestions Reply with quote

Hey Drizzt,

Think when had those crash issues bad that it was on the 2.0 version and had to wipe out everything folder wise. I went back and linked pages, just on page2 of this topic here:

crash link

Campaign went smooth after that I thought, other than normal CTD issues all have sometimes. It wasn't the "hard" error that sometimes get from using the wrong patch for a campaign or anything.

Post new topicReply to topic printer-friendly view Close Combat Series Forum Index -> Close Combat The Longest Day -> Kharkov
Goto page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Jump to: