Welcome to Close Combat Series
  Login or Register Home  ·  Downloads  ·  Forums  ·  Combat Camera  ·  Help  

Survey
Do incapacitations count as a soldier's kills?

Yes
No

Results
Polls

Votes 1179
Comments: 1

Shout Box!!

Only registered users can shout. Please login or create an account.

Main Menu
Articles & News  
    Help
    Player`s News
    Site News
    Multiplayer
    Terrain Challenge
    Boot Camp
Community  
    Forums
    Downloads
    Combat Camera
    MOOXE @ Youtube
    Statistics
Members  
    Private Messages
    Your Account
    Logout

Donations
Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
12/18/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
11/08/2021

Anonymous - $15.00
04/09/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
04/05/2021

Anonymous - $20.00
02/20/2021

Anonymous - $10.00
12/29/2020

Anonymous - $1.00
11/06/2020

ZAPPI4 - $20.00
10/10/2020

Find our site useful? Make a small donation to show your support.

Search for at
Close Combat Series Advanced Search

Goto page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
 Author
mooxe

Rep: 221.1
votes: 25

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 5:16 am Post subject: Re: War Movies Reply with quote

Just finished Lone Survivor. Nice movie, suspenseful in the fighting. Follows the book as far as I can remember to but Hollywood did insert some things. Mark Wahlberg does a good job in this, you almost forget its Mark Wahlberg. The writer of the book does a cameo in the movie as well at the beginning. Worth watching!

Join Discord for technical support and online games.

southern_land

Rep: 155.2
votes: 14

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 7:41 am Post subject: Re: War Movies Reply with quote

mooxe wrote (View Post):
Just finished Lone Survivor. Nice movie, suspenseful in the fighting. Follows the book as far as I can remember to but Hollywood did insert some things. Mark Wahlberg does a good job in this, you almost forget its Mark Wahlberg. The writer of the book does a cameo in the movie as well at the beginning. Worth watching!

those tumbles they took down the cliffs were sickening

Sapa

Rep: 76.3
votes: 8

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 10:00 am Post subject: Re: War Movies Reply with quote

I didnt know there was so common with barren trees in Afghanistan?

Sapa

Rep: 76.3
votes: 8

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 10:07 am Post subject: Re: War Movies Reply with quote

Wings of honour

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2jfG19Rg0o

And i thougt RAF didnt use B-24 in the bombing of Germany other than for radar jamming..hmmm

mooxe

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 5:22 pm Post subject: Re: War Movies Reply with quote

Now that computer generated graphics are so good there's tons of these little movies popping up.

johnsilver

Rep: 61.3
votes: 4

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 6:41 pm Post subject: Re: War Movies Reply with quote

Sapa wrote (View Post):
Wings of honour

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2jfG19Rg0o

And i thougt RAF didnt use B-24 in the bombing of Germany other than for radar jamming..hmmm

No offense to UK bomber crews intended here, but my dad said they pitied Lancaster crews. He said they looked like they weren't moving when they were flying and they only had .303's as main armament. Every time they went in the air during the daylight, they were far more likely to be attacked as the US bombers and by night? If one was hit? They turn around and could be rammed by another flying in further behind, so they had to fly on towards the target.

It was a terrible thing to fly in one of those slow, lumbering and under gunned things and my dad said they were proud of the UK crews for what they put up with.

Dima

Rep: 87.3
votes: 16

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 9:40 pm Post subject: Re: War Movies Reply with quote

Quote:
Have seen 'unsere mutter, unsere vater' a few days ago...... pfffff..... that's what I call good television
a good story, good actors,... I rank this one easily on the same level as 'all quiet on the WF', 'Band of brothers' or 'Platoon'
It shows war as it is!

have just watched it - second every word!
Awesome!

Point of notes for me:
no one is bad and no one is good - everyone is just a human beeing under the stress of War which gets the worst out of everyone.
what was really interesting to see was how the Poles and Ukranians were shown (probably the first time in movies) - no wonder the series was forbidden on TV there. Looks like their actions are remembered not only in Russia. Although it was forbidden on TV in Russia as well...
of course the German scares of what will be done will them when the RA soldiers come after their actions in the USSR.
the RA leutenant who stops soldiers that were going to rape women in a hospital - something really different in comparison to "2mlns raped in Berlin"(c) Beevor.

mooxe

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 5:06 am Post subject: Re: War Movies Reply with quote

Just watched episode 1, pretty good.

(Seems like Hollywood is planting mines again!)

tedy28

Rep: 59.9

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 1:32 pm Post subject: Re: War Movies Reply with quote

yea as Poles and Ukrainians attacked the poor Jews, a fact!!!

caruso

Rep: 23.1
votes: 1

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 2:15 pm Post subject: Re: War Movies Reply with quote

Dima wrote (View Post):
[quote]
what was really interesting to see was how the Poles and Ukranians were shown (probably the first time in movies)

They showed that side of the truth, about the poles (btw they were not just them or the ukrainians but some russians like Bronislav Kaminski's troops as well, or Lithuanians, excetera...) , even in Schindler's list ( where Spielberg didn't show a proper perscution by the locals but underlined that they didn't like the Jews)...but certainly some of them helped also...

Dima wrote (View Post):
[quote]
the RA leutenant who stops soldiers that were going to rape women in a hospital - something really different in comparison to "2mlns raped in Berlin"(c) Beevor.

Both things are true in the end. In Berlin, it mostly happened that the first disciplined soviet lines were acting like that leutenant. But the second lines....

As sayed above, there's no good or bad....

caruso

Rep: 23.1
votes: 1

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 8:04 am Post subject: Re: War Movies Reply with quote

"unsere mutter, unsere vater" Just finished to whatch all the three parts.

Well i would say that i could see something differrent than many other war movies, and was interesting enough to see it untill the end but i don't think is this great as for example, platoon  Surprised ...maybe more like Band of brothers  Smile  (sure, each of us has his own taste  Smile )

It  shows you a good drama, good stories, real sides of the war on the front line and not, but some times a bit unrealistic and some others with some stereotypes.

Compared to another german war movie that i've seen, i would say that Vilsmaier's "Stalingrad", still some times a bit unrealistic (ehehe in the end is true that some movies are a lot unrealistic, others less, but is even difficoult to find a 100% reality following movie) but from another planet :D

Still talking about german war movies, i would add Petersen's "Das Boot", one of my favs.

mooxe

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 5:21 am Post subject: Re: War Movies Reply with quote

Just watched Judgement at Nuremberg.

Three hour movie, 1961, black and white set in Nuremberg, 1948. Four judges are on trial for basically working under Nazi law. Are they guilty for carrying out the laws that were legal at the time? Should they, or could they of objected?

Pretty good move. 8.3 on IMDB. I didn't even notice it was three hours. William Shatner was in it to. I found out about this movie by reading an article about the actor who died 1 Feb 2014, Maximilian Schell. He played the defense. You will recognize him from many WW2 films of the 1960-1970s and maybe 1980s by always playing a German officer. A Bridge Too Far and Cross of Iron just to name two.

The judge Spencer Tracy looked oddly like the old man from the animated movie Up. Couldn't get that out of my mind. I Google'd this afterwards and the character was actually modelled after Spencer Tracy, Walter Mathau and Jame Whitmore. Funny thing about watching old movies is you see where actors got their start, and  how present movies give homage to the past.

johnsilver

Rep: 61.3
votes: 4

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 6:01 am Post subject: Re: War Movies Reply with quote

Agree Mooxe. Actors in that movie, many early in their career playing parts that were so out of character to how we mainly remember them. The one who always stuck in my mind was Werner Klemperer from that movie. His arrogant character in that movie he portrayed was so different than the buffoon camp Kommadant from Hogan's heroes he became famous for, as well as most other parts he played later on.

dgfred

Rep: 63.1

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 3:42 pm Post subject: Re: War Movies Reply with quote

Just got the Pacific series.

I'll let you know when I get around to watching.  Wink

Sports Freak/ CC Commander/ Panzerblitz Commander

pvt_Grunt

Rep: 98.5
votes: 5

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 2:47 am Post subject: Re: War Movies Reply with quote

I finally finished "Unsere matter Unsere Vatter" last night, known here as Generation War which is a silly name considering it translates easily from German to English?

I've decided it should be called "Seven people who inexplicablly continue to bump into each other during a 4 year War with millions of other people available to bump into!"- see end of post for why there is seven....

SPOILER WARNING
It was a stretch to believe these same people would continously meet up over and over, but -hey- thats movies for you.
Having said that, the series is VERY good to watch, I enjoyed it a lot how they portrayed the descisions that the 5 main characters needed make and how they affected them later.
Like Viktor joining up with anti - Semetic partisans, he agreed with their cause but was ultimately rejected by them.
And Friedhelm's conversion from objector to model soldier who carries out the most objectionable orders without protest, you could see early on he understood he would not survive.

It continues the change in how popular media portrays the war, going from 1950's proaganda (John Wayne] to 1960'saction/ comedy (Kelly's Heroes] and finally 1970's and later serious which began with Apocalypse Now.
These war movies now are less about the battles and more a setting for a character drama, which is OK with me.

btw - the number six is Liliya the medical aid who turns into a RA officer and delivers the worst line of the series when she stops the rape of Charly - her attitude streched my belief.
Number seven is Dorn the Gestapo officer who magically re-appears as a admin clerk after the surrender. It closed the loop on the Viktor story but again, what are the odds?

mooxe

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 3:47 am Post subject: Re: War Movies Reply with quote

It reminded me of a Seinfeld episode actually. It was good but all those chance meetups... come on! Maybe one or two but over and over and over was over the top.

US_Brake

Rep: 24.2
votes: 22

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 6:46 pm Post subject: Re: War Movies Reply with quote

The Imitation Game

Trailer

imitation_game.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  172.17 KB
 Viewed:  309 Time(s)

imitation_game.jpg

Close Combat's most infamous SOB
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website GameRanger Account

Antony_nz

Rep: 83.9
votes: 6

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 1:08 am Post subject: Re: War Movies Reply with quote

Some of the historical inaccuracy's noted in that film seem pretty unforgivable.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website GameRanger Account

MajorFrank

Rep: 41.8
votes: 6

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 5:24 pm Post subject: Re: War Movies Reply with quote

Theirs Is the Glory (1946)

A film about the Market Garden - operation made in 1946 in the real locations using many of the veterans of the actual battle. Very interesting, I think it's in the public domain meaning it's ok to watch it. It's on Youtube but I won't put the link here if that's against the rules or something. I liked it, some scenes were maybe a bit embellished such as casually going outside the headquarters and blowing away a German tank with a PIAT and then casually walking back in. But then again, these were the actual guys who were there, or at least some of them were.

US_Brake

Rep: 24.2
votes: 22

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 5:42 pm Post subject: Re: War Movies Reply with quote

Codebreaking and WWII military communications is a fascinating subject.

Close Combat's most infamous SOB
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website GameRanger Account

Post new topicReply to topic printer-friendly view Close Combat Series Forum Index -> The Mess
Goto page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Jump to: