Welcome to Close Combat Series
  Login or Register Home  ·  Downloads  ·  Forums  ·  Combat Camera  ·  Help  

Survey
Do incapacitations count as a soldier's kills?

Yes
No

Results
Polls

Votes 1179
Comments: 1

Shout Box!!

Only registered users can shout. Please login or create an account.

Main Menu
Articles & News  
    Help
    Player`s News
    Site News
    Multiplayer
    Terrain Challenge
    Boot Camp
Community  
    Forums
    Downloads
    Combat Camera
    MOOXE @ Youtube
    Statistics
Members  
    Private Messages
    Your Account
    Logout

Donations
Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
12/18/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
11/08/2021

Anonymous - $15.00
04/09/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
04/05/2021

Anonymous - $20.00
02/20/2021

Anonymous - $10.00
12/29/2020

Anonymous - $1.00
11/06/2020

ZAPPI4 - $20.00
10/10/2020

Find our site useful? Make a small donation to show your support.

Search for at
Close Combat Series Advanced Search

Goto page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Author
mooxe

Rep: 221.1
votes: 25

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 5:02 pm Post subject: Was 10 years enough? Reply with quote

Been contemplating closing the site this summer for the past couple of months.

Not a financial problem. I think a lot of us have moved on and have other sites and forums as our "home" site. Many of us who still lurk here do have an interest in Close Combat still, but not much invested. I have lost all interest in the back end server admin role as well as I have moved very far away from liking to mess with computers and operating systems.

I don't believe Close Combat is heading to any revival with the new versions coming out, or for any other reason in the future. This site is really showing its age, but I do like its familiarity, there was never plans to modernize it.

If it was to close in the summer of 2014.... The last backup would be held by me for a year or two and the domain kept in my name for an equal length of time, for the just in case factor.

Think about what you and this series have at stake if anything if I shutdown the site, and please post your view.

Last edited by mooxe on Mon Feb 17, 2014 5:29 pm; edited 1 time in total

dj

Rep: 157.1
votes: 9

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 5:37 pm Post subject: Re: Was 10 years enough? Reply with quote

We should wait until the next Gen release pending from Matrix/Slitherine.  IF it is a success, keep the site going.  Since the game is literally still evolving and under development, might as well give it a shot.  Just hope they don't dumb it down with the 3D graphics.  If Matrix drops the ball trying to do production on chump change budget again,  I'm done with them.

Pete

Rep: 118.1
votes: 12

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 6:50 pm Post subject: Re: Was 10 years enough? Reply with quote

The community needs a home. This site has been that home for a long time. The success of this site should be measured by what it means to those who contribute and to those who enjoy other people's contributions. Once the site goes, the community will disappear too. No more hosting of mods, no more troubleshooting, no new mods to be announced , discussed or looked forward to. What a dismal life lies ahead of us Shocked
Well, it had to happen one time but it still comes as a surprise.

Dulce Bellum Inexpertis
(War is delightful to those who have no experience of it.)
Our facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/buckandpete/
Our website: https://themodsection.net/

TheImperatorKnight

Rep: 30.4
votes: 1

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 7:47 pm Post subject: Re: Was 10 years enough? Reply with quote

Could you not pass the torch???

Revival or not, the closure of this site will hurt the community. I don't post much, but I lurk, and I use the download section quite a bit. Simply having a place you can go and see ALL the close combat games (including TBF when that comes out - as much as you don't like the idea of a 3D CC game), all the mods, maps, info etc, makes this place more accessible than Matrix/Slitherine forums, and this site can outlast them if they went under.

It's a real shame you're contemplating this move at a time when we have two new games being developed. Especially since one of them could give new life to the series.

I have a Close Combat Youtube Channel

My Small Maps Mod for Close Combat: Gateway to Caen. Install guide and discussion
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website GameRanger Account

platoon_michael

Rep: 47.6

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 7:48 pm Post subject: Re: Was 10 years enough? Reply with quote

I'd be a real bummer to see it go,
I understand why.
CC has been pretty dead for a long time.
We could just use the Matrix foums.

My biggest worry is all the downloads.

Tejszd

Rep: 133.6
votes: 19

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 9:08 pm Post subject: Re: Was 10 years enough? Reply with quote

1st - thanks for the great site and all effort/work over the years Mooxe!

2nd - After more than 10 years I can understand why the enthusiasm for running the site and even CC has diminished. But with the new 3D version supposedly coming out this year it might be a draw for some new people since many today do not believe a game can be good that is not 3D. The other thing that is a concern are the mods as Matrix does not seem to want to offer them for download (schrecken created a site for them but with him leaving nobody from Matrix has stepped up to update the site as I think they are concerned where some of the images in mods come from being a company).

The great thing about CCS is that it is a fan site separate from those making the games/money from the games and was more open to debate/discussion on games direction and or mods...

Stwa

Rep: 308.9
votes: 16

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 9:42 pm Post subject: Re: Was 10 years enough? Reply with quote

platoon_michael wrote (View Post):
I'd be a real bummer to see it go,
I understand why.
CC has been pretty dead for a long time.
We could just use the Matrix foums.

Ya, its time. CC is deader than a doornail. I am impressed that Matrix carries on, but like pm said, we can all post over at Matrix for those of us that want to keep in touch.

I can also understand why someone who plowed 10+ years into the site might not want to pass the torch. Not saying mooxe is against that.

I also don't understand what is so magical about the summer, unless that is just the best time frame for mooxe. I could see stopping it next week, and let the mods fall where they fall.  Idea

Schmal_Turm

Rep: 60.4

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 9:53 pm Post subject: Re: Was 10 years enough? Reply with quote

This is my GO-TO site for any news on CC. This is one of three sites that I have set to automatically come up when I start Firefox so that I can keep in touch with all the latest on CC. I particularly enjoy going over previous forum Q and A on CC5 as there are so many mods that I am just beginning to try out and enjoy. I know that this is the one site that I can depend on to have about all of the previous mods that have been created over the years, as well as info on the latest to come. I would sorely miss it.

"No plan ever survives first contact with the enemy." Moltke

Stwa

Rep: 308.9
votes: 16

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 9:55 pm Post subject: Re: Was 10 years enough? Reply with quote

Tejszd wrote (View Post):
The other thing that is a concern are the mods as Matrix does not seem to want to offer them for download (schrecken created a site for them but with him leaving nobody from Matrix has stepped up to update the site as I think they are concerned where some of the images in mods come from being a company).

Interesting ... I was always of the impression that site was hosted by Matrix and Strategy 3 Tactics.  Confused

Well, I suppose, if they were really that concerned about some images, they would have taken the site down or blocked customer access to it.  Idea

DoktorPaj

Rep: 28.4

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 10:57 pm Post subject: Re: Was 10 years enough? Reply with quote

I can understand why you would choose to shut it down, but I'd like you not to. This is the only Close Combat site I browse, because it is devoted to just Close Combat. All info about it is to be found here, as well as all mods and tools. There might not be much new traffic coming here, but it is the haven for the old fans and the few newcomers like me.
If CC is not growing now, it sure won't grow after the last devoted site is shut off.

johnsilver

Rep: 61.3
votes: 4

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 11:48 pm Post subject: Re: Was 10 years enough? Reply with quote

I'd miss it Mooxe, but understand why you closed it if indeed you did.

Quote:

Ditto that thought. Have backed up myself most of those for several titles of CC, but you just never know.

mooxe

Rep: 221.1

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 12:18 am Post subject: Re: Was 10 years enough? Reply with quote

September would be 10 years of CCS. It would also give eight months to shed more light on the new versions, which would in turn shed light on whether or not the site should carry on. I'd like to see CCS retired rather then die out slowly.

I could consider passing the torch. Someone with knowledge on how to run the site from the server level would have to step up though. The server mostly runs without any action from me, but when it goes down for whatever reason the owner must know how to reboot it. CCS is CentOS, PHP, mySQL, Apache and proFTPd. It would be like a job interview. I put a lot of time into this and don't want to see it squandered off and destroyed. I doubt anyone is up to it, as I have done it solo for the most part (except the beginning years). Very few have stepped up since 2004 for anything more than forum admin roles (which I did appreciate). If anyone wants to mirror the mods its very simple as FTP access is available.

My motivation to close the site has very little to do with Close Combat. I have just moved on. There's two ways I'll keep CCS open past September. One is if the new versions create a higher level of interest than we see now. Second, if I can be convinced in spite of reason one to carry on. Remember though, I would like to see this as a debate, not a thread simply pleading for the site to stay open.

Join Discord for technical support and online games.

platoon_michael

Rep: 47.6

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 4:08 am Post subject: Re: Was 10 years enough? Reply with quote

I'd hate to see it go.

It's just unfortunate the re-releases never really sparked the fire we all hoped it would.

I hate to say this but I have nothing to offer in the way of why to keep it open.
But you gotta follow your heart.

Not mine,not his.
Yours,
If your hearts not in it nothing I can say is gonna change that.

No matter what happens I would like to Thank-You very much.
It's been a great time.

johnsilver

Rep: 61.3
votes: 4

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 4:20 am Post subject: Re: Was 10 years enough? Reply with quote

Quote:
No matter what happens I would like to Thank-You very much.
It's been a great time.

Ditto that thought. Am just sad was not able to be here for several years was away. I missed some really good years when some of the re releases were made.

Bungarra

Rep: 137.3
votes: 5

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 6:14 am Post subject: Re: Was 10 years enough? Reply with quote

Shocked ...  Crying or Very sad

Pete

Rep: 118.1
votes: 12

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 10:11 am Post subject: Re: Was 10 years enough? Reply with quote

I appreciate very much what you have done for the community Mooxe and I'd like to thank you from the bottom of my heart. I can imagine that you want to move on after this many years, as I have been in the same situation last year and "abandoned" my photography friends after 17 years. I have not regretted that move yet.
I do hope that someone else would take over from you because I believe that this community, however small it is, needs a home.

Cheers

Peter

Dulce Bellum Inexpertis
(War is delightful to those who have no experience of it.)
Our facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/buckandpete/
Our website: https://themodsection.net/

Manoi

Rep: 89.5
votes: 7

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 11:16 am Post subject: Re: Was 10 years enough? Reply with quote

I will be very disillusioned and sad, like many other community members, if this site dissapears. But I understand that 10 years is long, especially now that it has been very quiet for some years.
I'm hoping that there is a future for close combat but without you, it will be even more harder!!!  Crying or Very sad

ke_mechial

Rep: 89.1
votes: 2

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 12:02 pm Post subject: Re: Was 10 years enough? Reply with quote

To me close Combat is more than a game, it is a way of living the past military history, discussing engineering of weapons and experiencing adrenaline, I do not like other games far away from realism, historical aspects, all people go crazy messing around with unrealistic weapons...
I like people here discussing about  panther and tiger tanks and then comparing muzzle velocities, projectile weights of 7.5 cm KwK 42 L/70 and 8.8 cm KwK 36 L/56 and calculating kinetic energy of two projectiles and all stuff like this (maybe because I am a mechanical engineer!)

It is true that close combat has not evolved much in last 10 years, but maybe because it is already good enough and classic! I remember the first time I became aware of Close combat... Back in 1997... In that Summer I got my first pc as a teenager, I was just checking license cd of Windows 95 and Close Combat I was being promoted there as a product of Microsoft. "You will hear the real  submachine gun sound crackling!" I actually wasn't able then to buy the game immediately since not sold in my country, but years later I remembered the name of game (because I was so impressed!) search internet, downloaded CC5 demo and my journey started...

But If you really want to close the site, of course you made it and you decide it...

pt11070

Rep: 15.6

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 4:21 pm Post subject: Re: Was 10 years enough? Reply with quote

So sad to hear you are considering closing the site. I was searching for a game to play after being tired out of COD types of games. I just truly don't understand why there is not a larger following. Usually there is a sub group that keeps chugging no matter what. But if it is not possible to play a real person on an ongoing basis, there is not much to hope for. Playing the AI is just not it.
I started the Ortona mod at the hight of things, I wish I had finished it that year but life sometimes takes over. I am glad that other people stepped in and that there is a chance that it will be finished.
The nice thing about this site is that after all these years, when I typed close combat in the search bar this site popped up. It was familiar and user friendly. Dunno, makes me feel really old thinking that the site would not be there anymore. But maybe that is a good thing. Sometimes out of ashes ...
Pt

AT_Stalky

Rep: 27.4
votes: 10

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 4:55 pm Post subject: Re: Was 10 years enough? Reply with quote

This has been a grate place over the 10 years.

Thanx Mooxe.

Handing the place to someone… and if it’s not run up to this standard and integrity, then better to close it.

Let’s see what 3D brings us… who knows…. I mean, what if we actually likes it?

Shocked

Post new topicThis topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. printer-friendly view Close Combat Series Forum Index -> The Mess -> Site Info
Goto page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Jump to: