Welcome to Close Combat Series
  Login or Register Home  ·  Downloads  ·  Forums  ·  Combat Camera  ·  Help  

Survey
Do incapacitations count as a soldier's kills?

Yes
No

Results
Polls

Votes 1221
Comments: 1

Shout Box!!

Only registered users can shout. Please login or create an account.

Main Menu
Articles & News  
    Help
    Player`s News
    Site News
    Multiplayer
    Terrain Challenge
    Boot Camp
Community  
    Forums
    Downloads
    Combat Camera
    MOOXE @ Youtube
    Statistics
Members  
    Private Messages
    Your Account
    Logout

Donations
Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
12/18/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
11/08/2021

Anonymous - $15.00
04/09/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
04/05/2021

Anonymous - $20.00
02/20/2021

Anonymous - $10.00
12/29/2020

Anonymous - $1.00
11/06/2020

ZAPPI4 - $20.00
10/10/2020

Find our site useful? Make a small donation to show your support.

Search for at
Close Combat Series Advanced Search

Goto page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Author
johnsilver

Rep: 61.3
votes: 4

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 5:21 am Post subject: Re: Was 10 years enough? Reply with quote

Quote:
There's a few modders over there now. I just seen that Firefox ported Ebro to TLD

Mooxe,

At Moddb, there is the ability to create sub forums for various games as well. I thought you knew that, then you probably already do anyway.

Quote:
I just seen that Firefox ported Ebro to TLD

Yes, he had this on on his forum locale also. he's into the star/space game conversions still. i asked him a few weeks ago about a CC5 mod and he wasn't really into digging around for it, NP as he's just done with CC ATM.

I offered to upload some of his mods once, all of his are not here, then most of his are for earlier patched WAR and a couple for CC5.

Pzjager has his group at moddb as well. Searched and found some others there whose names were familiar, if you do decide you have had enough, someone may decide to start something there. It seems more workable than places like thewargamer.

TheImperatorKnight

Rep: 30.4
votes: 1

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 11:41 am Post subject: Re: Was 10 years enough? Reply with quote

mooxe wrote (View Post):
I listened to TIK's response as well. To answer a couple of his questions.. the site makes money from donations and Google Ads. That money goes directly to the bill of $59 per month, there's enough saved up for the next three months, and I'm 36 years old haha... I have not paid out of pocket any substantial amount for years now due to donations and ads.

Thanks for answering, Mooxe. Out of curiosity, how much time does it take to run a site like this??

mooxe wrote:
If anyone wants to start another Close Combat site please feel free to use these forums to promote it. A new site can offer a different outlook, my outlook has been pretty bleak since Matrix and I never tried to hide it. You could focus on the new versions rather than all. There's better software out there to integrate social media commenting and videos. There's no shortage of do-dads to make a new site worthwhile and popular. CCS is what-you-see-is-what-you-get from here till the end! Have a look at CSO, he's toying with Joomla (www.closecombat.org/CSO), not sure what his plans are though.

1. Why don't you like Matrix? Ok, they're games aren't perfect, but at least they're trying!
2. If a new site is created, it should be about all the versions, new and old.
3. Integrating social media (as much as I love Facebook and Google+ Mad ) and videos is a must. This, imho, is the only flaw with this site. The shout box just doesn't cut it, I'm afraid.

HeadClot wrote:
I came here because of TheImperatorKnight's Video about the site shutting down.

See Mooxe! Intergrating video gained you one extra user Wink

HeadClot wrote:
I would be willing to take initiative on this. I am one of the regulars over on Moddb/Indiedb.
Personally I want to see closecombatseries.net live on one way or another. Under different leadership or the current leadership.

Awesome! If I can help in anyway, let me know.

I have a Close Combat Youtube Channel

My Small Maps Mod for Close Combat: Gateway to Caen. Install guide and discussion
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website GameRanger Account

Pete

Rep: 118.1
votes: 12

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 12:33 pm Post subject: Re: Was 10 years enough? Reply with quote

Good to see that people are proposing alternatives. I had never heard about this moddb website but browsing it I see games that look just as outdated as Close Combat. To me the outdated graphics don't matter. It is all about the fun I am having playing it. Dwindling numbers of players are equally unimportant to me because all it takes to form a community is a minimum of 2 people. Just saying that the presence of an online Close Combat community should not depend on a revival of the game but on what it means to the community. Moddb.com seems like a good alternative to ccs.net and why not create a group there. Enhanced visibility might actually attract more people to the game.

Dulce Bellum Inexpertis
(War is delightful to those who have no experience of it.)
Our facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/buckandpete/
Our website: https://themodsection.net/

platoon_michael

Rep: 56.2
votes: 25

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 2:35 pm Post subject: Re: Was 10 years enough? Reply with quote

I looked at ModDB too for a few seconds.
First impression to me is it looks/feels like a Cluster F%@*

I'm gonna miss this site.

TheImperatorKnight

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 4:10 pm Post subject: Re: Was 10 years enough? Reply with quote

Ok, one more question Mooxe. How many gigs does this site take up?? All the downloads, the forums, everything.

My Small Maps Mod for Close Combat: Gateway to Caen. Install guide and discussion
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website GameRanger Account

pt11070

Rep: 15.6

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 8:35 pm Post subject: Re: Was 10 years enough? Reply with quote

I like the present site. I do some webmastering on the side but not to the level wanted. I am willing to learn if need be. So if there is a way to keep the site as is I would volunteer.
Pt

mooxe

Rep: 221.7

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:43 pm Post subject: Re: Was 10 years enough? Reply with quote

TheImperatorKnight wrote (View Post):

1. Why don't you like Matrix? Ok, they're games aren't perfect, but at least they're trying!
3. Integrating social media (as much as I love Facebook and Google+ Mad ) and videos is a must. This, imho, is the only flaw with this site. The shout box just doesn't cut it, I'm afraid.

1. Let me rephrase... I don't like what they didn't do with Close Combat. So it makes me not like them all that much.

2. Sure, but your increasing the world load immensely.

3. In 2004 social media was only just emerging, so the integration options didn't exist until a few more years. Facebook is 10 years old now as well. By that time this site was popular with the CC fans and had a substantial amount of posts, users and downloads. My point it, it was too late to switch, and I have no plans to ever upgrade the CCS website in the future now. As well... I don't like social media's powers to track your life. I probably would never of integrated anyways. Yes there's lots of other ways to track but I mitigate where I can...

4. How much time does it take to run the site.. The most time consuming thing for me running CCS is monitoring its health. Is the server and are all the services on? I periodically check the logs and file system for intrusions, I check problems with email and other various thingamabobs. CCS has been exploited a few times over the years and I have had to detect, fix and prevent it from happening again. Monthly bill payments, yearly domain bill payments... creating articles... validating mod integrity, meaning verifying the plugins work and have the right entries in the header. I manage backups as well.... but I am not very good at it as I accidentally deleted Tournamenthouse.com awhile ago... Sometimes when software or hardware is upgraded there could be a setting changed that affects CCS. This happened last year and resulted in the screenshots section not working for maybe 9 or 10 months. I fixed it after many many hours spread over those 9-10 months picking at it.... it was an option turned off when it should of been on in the PHP config file.

5. What your looking at right now, downloads+website+database+screenshots is 100Gb.

Join Discord for technical support and online games.

johnsilver

Rep: 61.3
votes: 4

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:03 pm Post subject: Re: Was 10 years enough? Reply with quote

platoon_michael wrote (View Post):
I looked at ModDB too for a few seconds.
First impression to me is it looks/feels like a Cluster F%@*

I'm gonna miss this site.

In many ways you are absolutely correct. That site supports hundreds of games in a way, not just one and it can be difficult to search for anything before you figure it out. it ain't CCS for sure.

In lieu of an better alternative should mooxe decide to cease here, as well as someone/some group even decide to start up a mini section? I know of only 1 other place and am going to ask the old clan members for permission to use our forums Mooxe. We don't use them that much, have a DL section and could set up a separate CC section am thinking other than what is there for games that the others now play.

I'd be interested in hearing from you on your thoughts if you decide to stop and will run it by the other members..

BTW.. The clan was one of the oldest in CC online gaming.

platoon_michael

Rep: 56.2

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:11 pm Post subject: Re: Was 10 years enough? Reply with quote

I'll keep the Platoon name even if this site drops.

Somebody has to be old school

TheImperatorKnight

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:45 pm Post subject: Re: Was 10 years enough? Reply with quote

mooxe wrote (View Post):
TheImperatorKnight wrote (View Post):

1. Let me rephrase... I don't like what they didn't do with Close Combat. So it makes me not like them all that much.

2. Sure, but your increasing the world load immensely.

3. In 2004 social media was only just emerging, so the integration options didn't exist until a few more years. Facebook is 10 years old now as well. By that time this site was popular with the CC fans and had a substantial amount of posts, users and downloads. My point it, it was too late to switch, and I have no plans to ever upgrade the CCS website in the future now. As well... I don't like social media's powers to track your life. I probably would never of integrated anyways. Yes there's lots of other ways to track but I mitigate where I can...

4. How much time does it take to run the site.. The most time consuming thing for me running CCS is monitoring its health. Is the server and are all the services on? I periodically check the logs and file system for intrusions, I check problems with email and other various thingamabobs. CCS has been exploited a few times over the years and I have had to detect, fix and prevent it from happening again. Monthly bill payments, yearly domain bill payments... creating articles... validating mod integrity, meaning verifying the plugins work and have the right entries in the header. I manage backups as well.... but I am not very good at it as I accidentally deleted Tournamenthouse.com awhile ago... Sometimes when software or hardware is upgraded there could be a setting changed that affects CCS. This happened last year and resulted in the screenshots section not working for maybe 9 or 10 months. I fixed it after many many hours spread over those 9-10 months picking at it.... it was an option turned off when it should of been on in the PHP config file.

5. What your looking at right now, downloads+website+database+screenshots is 100Gb.

Again, thank you very much.

1. Yes, I understand. This is why I'm hopeful for TBF, because they're (finally) doing something new.

2. Hmmm... a necessary sacrifice Wink

3. Ok, that makes sense. Things have changed a lot over the last 10 years. And as I said, I'm not a big fan of Facebook etc either, although I see how it might help.

4. Damn, this is where I haven't got a clue. I'm going to have to do some research here. I once set up my own forum, and that was bad enough! Setting up a site sounds harder, and keeping it up sounds worse Sad  

5. Wow! I would have thought it would have been a lot more than 100GB! In fact, I have 274GB of recorded videos on my computer, so that put things in perspective Shocked

dj

Rep: 157.5
votes: 9

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 5:57 am Post subject: Re: Was 10 years enough? Reply with quote

I wish Matrix and Slitherine well in the next gen.  Because if it gets dumbed-down with fugly 3D graphics and terrible gameplay vs AI, close combat probably will be done for good.  Yet if the next gen development is taken seriously with a real budget, it would keep close combat alive for many more years.    

As far as websites....this is by far the best place to go for CC, especially since CSO website folded a few years ago.

CSO_Sbufkle

Rep: 32.2

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 12:40 am Post subject: Re: Was 10 years enough? Reply with quote

Mooxe, whatever your decision, you will be doing such with a clear conscience. You kep thte REAL community going far longer than most would have even tried. If you close this door no doubt you will find a new game/hobby to put your hard and solid work behind, and those involved would be that much luckier.

Sapa

Rep: 76.3
votes: 8

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 9:19 am Post subject: Re: Was 10 years enough? Reply with quote

For all these years you have made this site avaliable for the CC Comunity

If i talk for myself you have been some kind of "Good" that made Mods, maps aso avaliable for all and i understand if "the attack of the Reichstag" has come.

At least for me the latest "easy modded" versions of CC was the beginning of the end and i cant see that any 3D version will help things.

You have been my hero and will be forever!

[b]Thankyou very much for all your hard work!![/b]

Mats

TheImperatorKnight

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 4:28 pm Post subject: Re: Was 10 years enough? Reply with quote

Sapa wrote (View Post):
At least for me the latest "easy modded" versions of CC was the beginning of the end and i cant see that any 3D version will help things.

I heard (perhaps wrong) that modding in 3D was easier than in 2D? Shadows are easier to create, etc

Dima

Rep: 87.3
votes: 16

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 4:56 pm Post subject: Re: Was 10 years enough? Reply with quote

Quote:
I heard (perhaps wrong) that modding in 3D was easier than in 2D? Shadows are easier to create, etc

CC is not loved for its graphics...
but for 2014 CC modelling system (data) is way outdated in comparison to new wargames but nothing was done in re-releases to improve data and actually tactical combat phase became worse with introducing of girly soldiers, i.e. 1 sniper can ruin the whole attack of say 15 infantry teams in TLD/LSA/PITF.

ke_mechial

Rep: 89.1
votes: 2

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 5:06 pm Post subject: Re: Was 10 years enough? Reply with quote

I think CC decayed because Matrix did not invest on it.

I play WoT online. They release a new update new vehicles, new features and graphics every 1-2 months.  Funny thing is, it is free and you get new vehicles as you gain experience. More interesting is, developer guys go to historical tankyard in russia and record real sounds of engine, tracks for tanks. (Total Realism). They also model to the finest detail of tank.

In CC stock weapon sounds are not exciting. They did not even try to change it and make more realistic.

TheImperatorKnight

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 5:27 pm Post subject: Re: Was 10 years enough? Reply with quote

Dima wrote (View Post):
CC is not loved for its graphics...
but for 2014 CC modelling system (data) is way outdated in comparison to new wargames but nothing was done in re-releases to improve data and actually tactical combat phase became worse with introducing of girly soldiers, i.e. 1 sniper can ruin the whole attack of say 15 infantry teams in TLD/LSA/PITF.

ke_mechial wrote:
I think CC decayed because Matrix did not invest on it.

Perhaps both of these issues will be solved in the next gen? They're investing now, and they're creating a new system.

Just a shame I don't use snipers in PitF. Snipers are a support unit, so why would I take one when I can have a tank instead?

Dima

Rep: 87.3
votes: 16

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 5:47 pm Post subject: Re: Was 10 years enough? Reply with quote

Quote:
Perhaps both of these issues will be solved in the next gen? They're investing now, and they're creating a new system.

do you have some insight?

Quote:
Just a shame I don't use snipers in PitF. Snipers are a support unit, so why would I take one when I can have a tank instead?

when you are in defence try using sniper and shoot 1 shot at each running team - it will go prone and crawl backward = movement aborted.
so sometimes a sniper could be more effective than a tank.

ke_mechial

Rep: 89.1
votes: 2

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 6:19 pm Post subject: Re: Was 10 years enough? Reply with quote

I hope they solve it, too.

But Matrix really wasted time since TLD. I also expect in new game not to be just 3D but also new ways of applying your strategy. For example, teams could take more initiative. In present system you have to give commands to all teams manually. And since it is real time and battlefield is continously changing, you have to scroll through the map and check teams, give new orders. This is tedious for a teenager who was born at the end of 90s.

They miss a big point, If everything stays the same and it is only now 3D. They could implement for example new tools, that you would maybe be able draw the offense directions and teams could automatically coordinate themselves, for example. It could be like two teams would behave like, while one is suppressing other would flank enemy, this could be like  "move" "sneak" options in the menu. "flank", "suppress".

AT_Stalky

Rep: 27.4
votes: 10

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 7:37 pm Post subject: Re: Was 10 years enough? Reply with quote

CC 3D [nexgen] - I don’t know. Hoping is one thing, but… realistically?

Is it really anything wrong with SL´s maps, or are they not enough for the young generation?
I think they are grate. And something makes me doubt the “need” for 3D maps.. Hope Im wrong..
Have anyone seen what the young like today, “minecraft”, yeh its 3D, but….. The appeal of minecraft is something beyond 3D, as its pure ugly…..  It’s the feel of the game that makes it cool, just like CC…

Im not sure 3D is what will fix CC and bring new players. Girly Soldiers [as mention above] has been introduced in CC without anyone asked for it, and the majority hates it. Why has that “GS - enhancement” been added to the matrix games?

I have wished for more teams, as the 15 was way too few as the maps grew in size. I think I would have been satisfied with a CC with 30-50 teams, and SL made maps and a GS free AI. Combined with a CC5 style GC, with fewer maps. Though modeble to 64 maps or whatever. It would be better with fewer maps, that are very good coded. And a GC that is well thought out and tested. That would have been a development of CC, IMHO. Improve what we have, add what is asked for… And don’t add what we have not asked for.

Post new topicThis topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. printer-friendly view Close Combat Series Forum Index -> The Mess -> Site Info
Goto page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Jump to: