Welcome to Close Combat Series
  Login or Register Home  ·  Downloads  ·  Forums  ·  Combat Camera  ·  Help  

Survey
Do incapacitations count as a soldier's kills?

Yes
No

Results
Polls

Votes 1179
Comments: 1

Shout Box!!

Only registered users can shout. Please login or create an account.

Main Menu
Articles & News  
    Help
    Player`s News
    Site News
    Multiplayer
    Terrain Challenge
    Boot Camp
Community  
    Forums
    Downloads
    Combat Camera
    MOOXE @ Youtube
    Statistics
Members  
    Private Messages
    Your Account
    Logout

Donations
Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
12/18/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
11/08/2021

Anonymous - $15.00
04/09/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
04/05/2021

Anonymous - $20.00
02/20/2021

Anonymous - $10.00
12/29/2020

Anonymous - $1.00
11/06/2020

ZAPPI4 - $20.00
10/10/2020

Find our site useful? Make a small donation to show your support.

Search for at
Close Combat Series Advanced Search

Author
Digs

Rep: 56.7
votes: 5

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:55 pm Post subject: Opening txt documents with Apache OpenOffice Calc Reply with quote

When opening a txt document from the Data\BASE folder with OpenOffice Calc, it opens up the Text Import box. What settings besides Separated by Tab should I be using?.

I'm using Apache OpenOffice is v4.0.1

DoktorPaj

Rep: 28.4

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 8:24 am Post subject: Re: Opening txt documents with Apache OpenOffice Calc Reply with quote

I use Microsoft Excel for editing data, and I just open the .txt file in notepad and copypaste everything into a excel workbook of whatever CC data I want to edit. Not sure if that works with OpenOffice though since I've never used it.

Digs

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 8:44 pm Post subject: Re: Opening txt documents with Apache OpenOffice Calc Reply with quote

Well the copy of Microsoft Excel I have is 2007, I never even bothered to activate Microsoft Office. Apache OpenOffice Calc is basically the same thing, only it's free.

DoktorPaj

Rep: 28.4

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 10:49 pm Post subject: Re: Opening txt documents with Apache OpenOffice Calc Reply with quote

I have excel 2010 and have no problem copypasting from the data files into the excel document, I think there should be no problem. By the way, isn't the data workbook already in excel format? You can edit the data from there and then copying from the workbook into the .txt document.

Digs

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 11:50 pm Post subject: Re: Opening txt documents with Apache OpenOffice Calc Reply with quote

I never said it didn't work DoktorPaj. I just asked for recommended settings for Text Import from those that use Apache OpenOffice. And yes the workbooks are in xls format.

johnsilver

Rep: 61.3
votes: 4

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 9:57 pm Post subject: Re: Opening txt documents with Apache OpenOffice Calc Reply with quote

Heya Digs,

Yeah.. Open Office is a tremendous program and the price is right  Smile . Unfortunately, the Calc program won't allow you to do anything I ever tried with the CC Data and other files. I had to go with Excel from  son's old School edition of Office. Think it was 2007 to edit/read the files.

PeG-WW2 Campaigns Page

Digs

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 4:31 pm Post subject: Re: Opening txt documents with Apache OpenOffice Calc Reply with quote

I always liked QClone for editing, I'll probably just stick with that, or I'll finally start using my copy of Microsoft Office.

When you import the text into Apache OpenOffice Calc, it does work, but the data's not in the correct columns. Plus the header names for each column doesn't exist. So it's pretty much useless.

QClone 01.jpg
 Description:
Weapons.txt file opened in QClone.
 Filesize:  458.06 KB
 Viewed:  481 Time(s)

QClone 01.jpg

Imported Weapons.txt.jpg
 Description:
Weapons.txt file imported into Apache OpenOffice Calc.
 Filesize:  909.96 KB
 Viewed:  578 Time(s)

Imported Weapons.txt.jpg

OpenOffice Calc - Text Import.jpg
 Description:
Apace OpenOffice Calc - Text Import Options
 Filesize:  130.3 KB
 Viewed:  493 Time(s)

OpenOffice Calc - Text Import.jpg

Pete

Rep: 118.1
votes: 12

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 5:58 pm Post subject: Re: Opening txt documents with Apache OpenOffice Calc Reply with quote

After I read the first post I tried importing a text file from within Calc. File-open etc. It opened the txt file in Writer. After that i copied the txt file into Calc assuming that by using text to column it would split the text into columns properly. But it didnot.
But... I finally found the solution: from within windows explorer, right mouse click on the file , then choose open with OpenOffice Calc. It will open in Calc starting with the text to column dialog. Use 'tab' in order to separate the columns (I am not using an English language version so I don't know what it is called on your system). Starting from row 1. Fields are text.

Good luck.

Dulce Bellum Inexpertis
(War is delightful to those who have no experience of it.)
Our facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/buckandpete/
Our website: https://themodsection.net/

Digs

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 6:08 pm Post subject: Re: Opening txt documents with Apache OpenOffice Calc Reply with quote

Yeah, that's what I did Pete. Read the first message in the thread. After that, take a look at the Text Import picture I uploaded. Then look at the Imported Weapons.txt.jpg picture. Compare the Imported Weapons.txt picture from Apache OpenOffice Calc with the one from QClone to see the difference.

Pete

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 7:08 pm Post subject: Re: Opening txt documents with Apache OpenOffice Calc Reply with quote

In your image you have tab, semicolon and space checked while it only should be tab. All other settings are the same as I used, apart from language of course.

Dulce Bellum Inexpertis

Digs

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 8:32 pm Post subject: Re: Opening txt documents with Apache OpenOffice Calc Reply with quote

Alright thanks Pete, I'll try that out.

Digs

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 8:39 pm Post subject: Re: Opening txt documents with Apache OpenOffice Calc Reply with quote

I tried that out Pete and it works well, but there's still no column header names. You got any idea on how to fix that?.

Edit: With no headers it's a pain going back and forth between the CoI workbook and the Imported text file. Is there an updated CoI workbook available?, because I have Rev.1.

Edit 2: Nevermind about the question about the column headers. I just have to make the changes in the workbook and copy over the data.

Pete

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 10:31 pm Post subject: Re: Opening txt documents with Apache OpenOffice Calc Reply with quote

Good to hear that Digs. Strange about not getting the column headers though. I don't have that problem after importing. If you got the workbook then all you'd have to do is either use a copy of the workbook for your data editing or copy the column headers to your imported file.

Dulce Bellum Inexpertis

Tactician

Rep: 0.6

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 5:01 am Post subject: Re: Opening txt documents with Apache OpenOffice Calc Reply with quote

Where can one get the  CoI workbook?

Digs wrote (View Post):
I tried that out Pete and it works well, but there's still no column header names. You got any idea on how to fix that?.

Edit: With no headers it's a pain going back and forth between the CoI workbook and the Imported text file. Is there an updated CoI workbook available?, because I have Rev.1.

Edit 2: Nevermind about the question about the column headers. I just have to make the changes in the workbook and copy over the data.

Digs

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 5:44 am Post subject: Re: Opening txt documents with Apache OpenOffice Calc Reply with quote

It's in the downloads section of the site. I just did a search for workbook and found it right away, here's the link

Edit: To be more specific it's in the Downloads\Main\Toolbox directory.

Post new topicReply to topic printer-friendly view Close Combat Series Forum Index -> Close Combat Cross of Iron

Jump to: