Welcome to Close Combat Series
  Login or Register Home  ·  Downloads  ·  Forums  ·  Combat Camera  ·  Help  

Survey
Do incapacitations count as a soldier's kills?

Yes
No

Results
Polls

Votes 1179
Comments: 1

Shout Box!!

Only registered users can shout. Please login or create an account.

Main Menu
Articles & News  
    Help
    Player`s News
    Site News
    Multiplayer
    Terrain Challenge
    Boot Camp
Community  
    Forums
    Downloads
    Combat Camera
    MOOXE @ Youtube
    Statistics
Members  
    Private Messages
    Your Account
    Logout

Donations
Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
12/18/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
11/08/2021

Anonymous - $15.00
04/09/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
04/05/2021

Anonymous - $20.00
02/20/2021

Anonymous - $10.00
12/29/2020

Anonymous - $1.00
11/06/2020

ZAPPI4 - $20.00
10/10/2020

Find our site useful? Make a small donation to show your support.

Search for at
Close Combat Series Advanced Search

Author
Digs

Rep: 56.7
votes: 5

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 10:21 pm Post subject: Issue playing videos and one other thing. Reply with quote

Okay, I've got an image file of the CC2: ABTF disk and I'm using DAEMON Tools. I installed CC2 on Windows Vista 32-bit using Win98/Win ME compatibility mode and admin rights enabled. I then restarted Windows and copied over the videos folder from the virtual disk image and put it in the "C:\Games\Close Combat A Bridge Too Far" directory. Then I installed patch v2.0b successfully and ran the game afterwards. The game loads and I can hear the music playing but all I get is a black screen and the mouse cursor which I can moved around the screen. The game doesn't continue after the sound of the video is done. So I have no choice but to Alt Tab and close CC2: ABTF from the taskbar because the game isn't responding to input.
So then I thought to myself that maybe the videos folder needs to be in the data folder just like with CC4: Battle of the Bulge.  So I moved the folder from the root directory and into the data folder instead, then proceeded to run the game. But the very same thing happens, I close the game again using the same method. This time I hold down left ctrl and double click on the ABTF shortcut, in order to change the game options prior to loading the game.
I then disabled videos and changed the resolution from 800x600 to 1024x768 and hit okay. The game loaded and everything was okay, the only mention was the slow screen transition but I think that's due to running in compatibility mode.

I have ffdshow tryouts installed for video and audio codecs and MPG (MPEG) files play just fine in both Windows Media Player and QuickTime. Are the videos just not playing because I copied the videos folder to the HD, when they can just play from the mounted image instead?. I haven't yet tried to see if the game would play without using Win98/WinME compatibility mode enabled. I know that I had no choice but to install the game using compatibility mode, because if I didn't it would tell me that I didn't have enough free HD space even though I did.

Another thing, after the installation of the game itself, it then went on to install direct show or something like that. My Anti-Virus program gave me a pop-up in the bottom right corner. It was telling me it had quarantined one suspicious file which is DXMB5C8.tmp. I'm sure this is just a false positive due to it being an old program, but it's only a tmp file so it's not needed anyway and safe to delete. I uploaded the image of the file in the virus chest, I'm using Avast Free Anti-Virus 2014.

VirusVault.jpg
 Description:
DXMB5C8.tmp in the Virus Chest
 Filesize:  99.04 KB
 Viewed:  573 Time(s)

VirusVault.jpg

Digs

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 1:06 am Post subject: Re: Issue playing videos and one other thing. Reply with quote

I deleted the videos folder that I had copied to the CC2: ABTF directory on the C: drive and let it load videos from the virtual disk image instead. It still does the same thing, I can hear the video but can't see it, then I need to close the program through the task bar after using Alt+Tab. Like I said before, it works with videos disabled.

I ran the game without compatibility mode to see if it would still run under Windows Vista 32-bit. It ran without it, but it didn't improve the slow menu screen transitions like I was hoping it would.

Ivan_Zaitzev

Rep: 56.1
votes: 3

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 3:33 am Post subject: Re: Issue playing videos and one other thing. Reply with quote

First go to Ebay or Amazon and buy a copy of the game, then download Close Combat Starter from the misc section in the downloads section.

The real Close Combat starts when you are out of ammo.
Have you hugged your AT Gun today?
My Youtube Channel
http://closecombat2.blogspot.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website GameRanger Account

Digs

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 5:37 am Post subject: Re: Issue playing videos and one other thing. Reply with quote

First of all, it's a duplicate copy of an original disk as an image file Ivan. CC Starter doesn't work like it did with older version of Windows. I'm using Windows Vista 32-bit using DirectX11 and not 7, 8 or 9. DirectDraw isn't enabled with DirectX 11 therefor it's useless.

mooxe

Rep: 221.1
votes: 25

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 3:03 pm Post subject: Re: Issue playing videos and one other thing. Reply with quote

Yeah CCStarter may only with XP I think. I had significant troubles running CC5 on my laptop due to DirectX issues and CCStarter was no help.

Ivan_Zaitzev

Rep: 56.1
votes: 3

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 1:01 am Post subject: Re: Issue playing videos and one other thing. Reply with quote

Sorry for that Digs. I have Win7 64bits and CCStarter fixed the slow menu screen transitions thing for me. I also run it with videos disabled.

The real Close Combat starts when you are out of ammo.
Have you hugged your AT Gun today?
My Youtube Channel
http://closecombat2.blogspot.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website GameRanger Account

Digs

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 12:32 pm Post subject: Re: Issue playing videos and one other thing. Reply with quote

No problem Ivan. I disabled all enabled codecs associated with ffdshow tryouts; within their respective video and audio configurations and now the videos are working again.  Very Happy
The videos were working for me under Windows XP on my other computer, the only difference was that I didn't have ffdshow tryouts installed on it.

tripwire

Rep: 37.5
votes: 2

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 2:49 pm Post subject: Re: Issue playing videos and one other thing. Reply with quote

I use Win7 64-bit.  To run CC2 and all it's mods, I use CCStarter with the original CC2 disc in my laptop.  Works really well.  I get all the videos. For the mods, I've prepared a separate disc with only the video folder (C:\data\video\) and with "blank" video files.... that way I don't get Market Garden vids while playing Kreta; Op. Just Cause; etc.

Post new topicReply to topic printer-friendly view Close Combat Series Forum Index -> Close Combat 2: A Bridge Too Far

Jump to: