Welcome to Close Combat Series
  Login or Register Home  ·  Downloads  ·  Forums  ·  Combat Camera  ·  Help  

Survey
Do incapacitations count as a soldier's kills?

Yes
No

Results
Polls

Votes 1222
Comments: 1

Shout Box!!

Only registered users can shout. Please login or create an account.

Main Menu
Articles & News  
    Help
    Player`s News
    Site News
    Multiplayer
    Terrain Challenge
    Boot Camp
Community  
    Forums
    Downloads
    Combat Camera
    MOOXE @ Youtube
    Statistics
Members  
    Private Messages
    Your Account
    Logout

Donations
Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
12/18/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
11/08/2021

Anonymous - $15.00
04/09/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
04/05/2021

Anonymous - $20.00
02/20/2021

Anonymous - $10.00
12/29/2020

Anonymous - $1.00
11/06/2020

ZAPPI4 - $20.00
10/10/2020

Find our site useful? Make a small donation to show your support.

Search for at
Close Combat Series Advanced Search

Author
mooxe

Rep: 221.7
votes: 25

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 1:16 am Post subject: CC2 ABTF 2.0b Patch Issue Reply with quote

I starting looking into the version issue people were getting in H2H games. The problem was first brought to light here. Basically people with version 2.0 installed could not play people with 2.0b installed, ofcourse they can't though right? Those who had 2.0 may have been led to believe they actually have 2.0b installed. When the error message came up about conflicting version, it was believed the error message was incorrectly reporting. The error message would also force a disconnect. As the patch was released in 1998 and people have been playing H2H ever since I figured something was up. So I put the patches to the test and here is the result...

Test platforms
Host: Windows 7 64bit Home
Joiner: Windows 7 32bit Pro

CC2 installed and un-patched on both platforms. An H2H connection was established easily over GameRanger.

CC2 2.0b Official Patch would not install on either platform. The installer opens and tells you its extracting the files, then asks you to confirm you want to install the 2.0b patch and prompts you to press OK. After you press OK the dialogue box disappears. One could assume it installed correctly and closed. In my case on both platforms it failed to install. The game interface does not tell you what version it is, so you have to go to the properties of the cc2.exe file. Unpatched CC2 will show this...

How do you install the patch then if you run across this error? You have to run the patch with Windows95/XP compatibility mode. Ensure its 95/XP as most of the other modes will not work. Now when you install the patch you will be prompted just like I detailed above, except once the patch is done you get a dialogue boxing confirming its been patched...

When you right click and check the details of the cc2.exe file you should see this now...

After both computers were patched to 2.0b I tested them on GameRanger. I was able to establish a connection without any errors. So this leads me to believe the theory is correct, some players are not properly installing the 2.0b patch.

The TH CC2 3.4 Patch is not involved here. This patch is more of a mod which was so widely accepted in its time that it became a patch. It will not give you a version error if either the host or the joiner doesn't have it installed.

I'll be doing some more testing for more confirmation. As it stands now though, if the patch doesn't confirm with you that it installed, it didn't!

Ivan_Zaitzev

Rep: 56.1
votes: 3

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 2:25 am Post subject: Re: CC2 ABTF 2.0b Patch Issue Reply with quote

You should test one opponent with 2.0b and the other one with 2.0 and see if the game shows the "retail version 2.2" error.

The real Close Combat starts when you are out of ammo.
Have you hugged your AT Gun today?
My Youtube Channel
http://closecombat2.blogspot.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website GameRanger Account

mooxe

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 2:41 am Post subject: Re: CC2 ABTF 2.0b Patch Issue Reply with quote

I did test that between both computers. The version error does come up.

TheImperatorKnight

Rep: 30.4
votes: 1

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 11:05 am Post subject: Re: CC2 ABTF 2.0b Patch Issue Reply with quote

Nice work identifying the problem and finding the solution, Mooxe.

I'm guessing the exe that Ikrananka made didn't resolve the issue, it just bypassed it?

I have a Close Combat Youtube Channel

My Small Maps Mod for Close Combat: Gateway to Caen. Install guide and discussion
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website GameRanger Account

Ivan_Zaitzev

Rep: 56.1
votes: 3

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 11:14 am Post subject: Re: CC2 ABTF 2.0b Patch Issue Reply with quote

Hey TIK, did you check if you have the 2.0 instead of 2.0b? Because I have the 2.0b and that was the installation I was using when we tried to play the first time and got the 2.2 error.

The real Close Combat starts when you are out of ammo.
Have you hugged your AT Gun today?
My Youtube Channel
http://closecombat2.blogspot.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website GameRanger Account

TheImperatorKnight

Rep: 30.4

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 11:17 am Post subject: Re: CC2 ABTF 2.0b Patch Issue Reply with quote

I've got version 98.0.1.1901 now, so I'm guessing that's 2.0b, right? But that's with the exe that Ikranaka gave us.

I have a Close Combat Youtube Channel

My Small Maps Mod for Close Combat: Gateway to Caen. Install guide and discussion
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website GameRanger Account

mooxe

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 12:49 pm Post subject: Re: CC2 ABTF 2.0b Patch Issue Reply with quote

TheImperatorKnight wrote (View Post):
Nice work identifying the problem and finding the solution, Mooxe.

I'm guessing the exe that Ikrananka made didn't resolve the issue, it just bypassed it?

What I think Ikrananka solved was actually a patch install bypass. The CC2.0b patch ONLY updates the cc2.exe file. But I think the same result would of been accomplished if anyone just gave you the patched cc2.exe file without any hex editing. Since Ik's cc2.exe was already patched and modified, you still got the full 2.0b patch installed.

I am pretty confident this is the case. I wouldn't mind some people verifying the 2.0b patch is really failing to install on their systems, vice my two. If Windows 7/8 has an issue with the 2.0b patch, I don't think it will be too hard to make a new patch that is compatible, since it only updates one file.

ikrananka

Rep: 29.5

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 8:26 pm Post subject: Re: CC2 ABTF 2.0b Patch Issue Reply with quote

Have just finished testing with Mooxe and can confirm that he is indeed absolutely correct with what the problem was.  My hack did indeed just bypass the problem and did not address the root cause.  All praise Mooxe :)

So, please delete any copies of the hacked cc2.exe that I sent to you - it is most definitely not needed.  Best thing to do is to completely uninstall CC2 and then reinstall.  Then patch to 2.0b patch in compatibility mode.  I believe Mooxe plans on updating his CC2 install instructions accordingly.

Post new topicReply to topic printer-friendly view Close Combat Series Forum Index -> Close Combat 2: A Bridge Too Far

Jump to: