Welcome to Close Combat Series
  Login or Register Home  ·  Downloads  ·  Forums  ·  Combat Camera  ·  Help  

Survey
Do incapacitations count as a soldier's kills?

Yes
No

Results
Polls

Votes 1213
Comments: 1

Shout Box!!

Only registered users can shout. Please login or create an account.

Main Menu
Articles & News  
    Help
    Player`s News
    Site News
    Multiplayer
    Terrain Challenge
    Boot Camp
Community  
    Forums
    Downloads
    Combat Camera
    MOOXE @ Youtube
    Statistics
Members  
    Private Messages
    Your Account
    Logout

Donations
Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
12/18/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
11/08/2021

Anonymous - $15.00
04/09/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
04/05/2021

Anonymous - $20.00
02/20/2021

Anonymous - $10.00
12/29/2020

Anonymous - $1.00
11/06/2020

ZAPPI4 - $20.00
10/10/2020

Find our site useful? Make a small donation to show your support.

Search for at
Close Combat Series Advanced Search

Author
vobbnobb

Rep: 73
votes: 6

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 4:54 am Post subject: Just took mortar ammo off surendered soldiers.. Reply with quote

I was completely out. I didn't have any ammo for my 3 inch British mortar, some other guys from my team surrounded an 8cm German mortar team, forcing them to white flag and as I passed by them with my mortar team I received 8 shells, dunno If the tube was switched or not. This happen to anyone else for any other ammo type on surrendered soldiers?

My WW2 CC Series TimeLine
http://tinyurl.com/n2vrec5

Pzt_Kanov

Rep: 14.2
votes: 9

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 7:21 pm Post subject: Re: Just took mortar ammo off surendered soldiers.. Reply with quote

It is not possible to pick up ammo from another different entry in the weapons files afaik. Although I don't know if both sides use the same mortar weapon, if they do then it is entirely possible to pick up ammo from an enemy mortar.

-Did the enemy mortar team have casualties? if no: Did you pick-up the tube while you were passing by them?

Picking up weapons from surrendered soldiers is new for me.

Another couple of silly questions because I have nothing better to do today lol,

When scavenging, does the soldier scavenge x amount of ammo (like if the bullets are there loose for the soldier to take in bulk) or only complete magazines? what happens to expended but not yet empty magazines?

If you gave a soldier a tank cannon would the soldier be able to pick up ammo from a tank?

vobbnobb

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 7:49 pm Post subject: Re: Just took mortar ammo off surendered soldiers.. Reply with quote

no enemy casualties, I was surprised.  surrendered mortar soldiers walked out towards my mortar group moving past them in an an open field. Looks like 8cm could be same ammo as 3inch?

Dunno If i picked up their tube and ammo or just ammo shells and kept my tube
I also want to know if anyone has anything like that happen when passing walking surrendered enemy soldiers.

Now, on that note, do you think that because no casualties I was able to scavenge ammo from the surrendered team instead?

mooxe

Rep: 221.7
votes: 25

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 8:06 pm Post subject: Re: Just took mortar ammo off surendered soldiers.. Reply with quote

Quote:
able to scavenge ammo from the surrendered team instead?

Good question. Try to duplicate it. I have never seen it before, but it would also be an extremely rare occurrence so lets try to prove/disprove it with more tests.

DoktorPaj

Rep: 28.4

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 9:49 pm Post subject: Re: Just took mortar ammo off surendered soldiers.. Reply with quote

I would guess that ammo types as in calibers that can be used for more than one weapon (Mg34 using same bullet as Kar98) are not considered when scavenging but rather every weapon in the game has its own sort of ammo, meaning that the mortar team also picked up the German mortar and not only the ammo. Hard to tell though since mortars often use the same weapon icon and sound file.
There is no way to edit ammo in the weapons.txt file either except for the amount of ammo per magazine and burst, the type of ammo or caliber is not mentioned which could be interpreted as all weapons having a unique ammo type even though the weapon itself is more or less the same (scoped kar98 can't scavenge ammo from regular kar98) and the weapon is switched instead when out of ammo and scavenging.
Another interesting thought is if a soldier with a kar98 with no ammo who scavenges ammo from a dead soldier with a kar98 only takes the ammo for it or if he takes the weapon as well? Since both use the same icon and is the same line in weapons.txt there is no way to tell if he keeps his original weapon and takes ammo when scavenging.

vobbnobb

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 11:51 pm Post subject: Re: Just took mortar ammo off surendered soldiers.. Reply with quote

The ostruppen 5cm mortar and british 2 inch seem to be same caliber as well. I tried to re-create this 6 times but its tough, since the 8cm teams are always ambushing way back behind enemy lines my British  3 inch mortar guys were cowards / weak team and fatigue easily. Couldn't get it to happen again game either ends or team gets killed trying to rush to surrendered team before they leave the map. Probably down right worthless to even try in a battle even if numerous mortar ammo is interchangeable.

Pzt_Kanov

Rep: 14.2
votes: 9

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 3:16 am Post subject: Re: Just took mortar ammo off surendered soldiers.. Reply with quote

DoktorPaj wrote (View Post):
I would guess that ammo types as in calibers that can be used for more than one weapon (Mg34 using same bullet as Kar98) are not considered when scavenging but rather every weapon in the game has its own sort of ammo, meaning that the mortar team also picked up the German mortar and not only the ammo. Hard to tell though since mortars often use the same weapon icon and sound file.
There is no way to edit ammo in the weapons.txt file either except for the amount of ammo per magazine and burst, the type of ammo or caliber is not mentioned which could be interpreted as all weapons having a unique ammo type even though the weapon itself is more or less the same (scoped kar98 can't scavenge ammo from regular kar98) and the weapon is switched instead when out of ammo and scavenging.

Yes, ammo as an entity does not exists in CC, all the attributes of the damage and such are integrated into the weapon itself, thus as you say, for the game code every weapon has its own unique "ammo". I asked Steve McClaire for a separate ammo data file a while ago but I doubt it will get implemented ever.

Quote:
Another interesting thought is if a soldier with a kar98 with no ammo who scavenges ammo from a dead soldier with a kar98 only takes the ammo for it or if he takes the weapon as well? Since both use the same icon and is the same line in weapons.txt there is no way to tell if he keeps his original weapon and takes ammo when scavenging.

In this thread we solved some scavenging mysteries. Among them, we realized that soldiers do in fact add ammo from dead soldiers to their own weapon, provided its the same weapon class. I need to check if they add whole magazines/clips or individual bullets.

vobbnobb

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 3:31 am Post subject: Re: Just took mortar ammo off surendered soldiers.. Reply with quote

Thanks for the info, I see Mooxe already tried this. there sure are a lot of variables and it makes them act like real soldiers. I caught this guy today using two weapons that he carries on him or picked up from somewhere. He's using one for short range and the other for long/medium range.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T0cnukV4-oQ

McDonald the squad leader switches from BAR for Medium range to Thompson for short range. Probably slinging the Thompson. He is not scavenging - He is carrying both! Soldiers in building on ground are enemy.

Maybe it isn't for range and just penetrating power?

Post new topicReply to topic printer-friendly view Close Combat Series Forum Index -> Close Combat 5: Invasion Normandy

Jump to: