Welcome to Close Combat Series
  Login or Register Home  ·  Downloads  ·  Forums  ·  Combat Camera  ·  Help  

Survey
Do incapacitations count as a soldier's kills?

Yes
No

Results
Polls

Votes 1213
Comments: 1

Shout Box!!

Only registered users can shout. Please login or create an account.

Main Menu
Articles & News  
    Help
    Player`s News
    Site News
    Multiplayer
    Terrain Challenge
    Boot Camp
Community  
    Forums
    Downloads
    Combat Camera
    MOOXE @ Youtube
    Statistics
Members  
    Private Messages
    Your Account
    Logout

Donations
Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
12/18/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
11/08/2021

Anonymous - $15.00
04/09/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
04/05/2021

Anonymous - $20.00
02/20/2021

Anonymous - $10.00
12/29/2020

Anonymous - $1.00
11/06/2020

ZAPPI4 - $20.00
10/10/2020

Find our site useful? Make a small donation to show your support.

Search for at
Close Combat Series Advanced Search

Goto page 1, 2  Next
 Author
stapleton_cotton

Rep: 36.1

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 12:14 pm Post subject: Mods not working Reply with quote

Hi, I have recently returned to CC and installed Normandy and the 5.1 patch. I have gone through the GSJ steps and everything seems fine. I go to Config Manager and click install and it says it has installed, no problem.

But when I open the game it's just the same original CC5 - no mod

I have Windows 8.0 - any ideas where I might be going wrong very gratefully received!

ke_mechial

Rep: 89.1
votes: 2

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 1:14 pm Post subject: Re: Mods not working Reply with quote

Did you run config manager with compatibility mod and "run as administrator" settings. It is probable that config maybe not allowed to write into program files/ssi folder. That happened to me once same, it requires to adjust settings of config manager.

stapleton_cotton

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 5:22 pm Post subject: Re: Mods not working Reply with quote

Many thanks for your reply. Sorry, but I'm not sure what the compatability mod is or how to run as administrator. If you could tell me what to do I'd be extremely grateful!

Thanks again

mooxe

Rep: 221.7
votes: 25

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 5:24 pm Post subject: Re: Mods not working Reply with quote

Right click the Config Manager icon and go to PROPERTIES, now select COMPATIBILITY. You will see a box called Compatibility Mode, ensure the box is checked and select compatibility mode for any Windows XP version.

stapleton_cotton

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 6:19 pm Post subject: Re: Mods not working Reply with quote

Many thanks. I followed your instructions and did that but nothing changes - in Config Manager it says GSJ is installed (I've uninstalled it and reinstalled it just to make sure) but it's still the old US infantryman icon and when I click on it it's the original version - not GSJ

ke_mechial

Rep: 89.1
votes: 2

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 6:21 pm Post subject: Re: Mods not working Reply with quote

Did you run as administrator? If it still does not works, would recommend fresh install of CC...

mooxe

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 6:22 pm Post subject: Re: Mods not working Reply with quote

Ok... not over yet... some questions to confirm;

32b or 64b Windows 8?
You did make a full install right?
What is the exact folder its installed to?

I believe next we will be doing is registry editing...

stapleton_cotton

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 10:38 pm Post subject: Re: Mods not working Reply with quote

Hi Mooxe, its 64
Yes, I did a full install. Years ago I had everything set up fine on my previous laptop (but that wasn't horrible Windows Cool
The original install is saved in C: Program Files (x86)/SSI/Close Combat Invasion Normandy

Huge thanks again for your time

mooxe

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 11:14 pm Post subject: Re: Mods not working Reply with quote

Ok so run the application REGEDIT.

Do a search in your registry for Normandy. Any hit on that search you get, ensure the folder is correct. Your basically looking for any entry missing the (86) portion. If you find that its missing, modify the entry with the path you posted above.

stapleton_cotton

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 12:42 am Post subject: Re: Mods not working Reply with quote

I ran regedit and searched for "Normandy" as you said - it brings up a whole heap of stuff - most of which seems to have no connection to Normandy (Windows Media Player?  Skype?) but whatever - the Close Combat download is listed as in the (86) folder.

Any more ideas?

Thanks again

mooxe

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 12:44 am Post subject: Re: Mods not working Reply with quote

I am out of ideas really...

Try and find out where Config Manager is putting the files.

dj

Rep: 157.5
votes: 9

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 3:21 am Post subject: Re: Mods not working Reply with quote

I have issues with all the original releases of Close Combat running on Windows 7.  However the re-releases all work fine.  This may sound dumb, but try googling tutorials for Windows.  I founds some good ones to help me figure out how to use Windows, since I am really more of Mac user.

Run as administrator, compatibility-mode for older Windows games, 32 bit vs 64 bit differences all should be common you tube or google tutorial videos.

Pete

Rep: 118.1
votes: 12

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 6:07 pm Post subject: Re: Mods not working Reply with quote

Install folder should be C:\Program Files\SSI\Close Combat Invasion Normandy . This is where I installed it and configuration manager works with that location. A quick way of finding if config.manager is writing files to the correct location is checking the last modified date of the data files in the 'base' folder.
I am using windows 7 by the way but with regards to the install folder that should not make a difference.

Dulce Bellum Inexpertis
(War is delightful to those who have no experience of it.)
Our facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/buckandpete/
Our website: https://themodsection.net/

stapleton_cotton

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 7:40 pm Post subject: Re: Mods not working Reply with quote

I think it must all boil down to the infuriating two program files folders with Windows 8 (I'm sure there's a good reason for them, they can't just be there to ruin any chances of my playing CC5 mods). The logical explanation is that the original install/config manager etc are looking in one folder but the files have been downloaded in the other.
Is there a "How to use CC5 with Windows 8" guide anywhere? I've looked around the forums but can't find any easy fixes.
Alternatively, Mooxe you said try and find where the Config manager files are being put - do you know the names of any of these files so I can try and search for them?

Many thanks all for your help. Please keep any suggestions coming! I'm having fun playing the original for the first time in years but would love to return to GSJ!

mooxe

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 8:50 pm Post subject: Re: Mods not working Reply with quote

Yes.. look for index.mpi. The search will bring a hit back for your CC5 folder, and should also for where ever the GJS one is.

stapleton_cotton

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 4:27 pm Post subject: Windows 8 incompatible with CC5 mods Reply with quote

So, I could never get this fixed back in February 2014 and since then I've just been playing the original game with no mods.
I now thought I'd try again - the problem must be because my new laptop is Windows 8 and the two folders (Program Files and Program Files (x86)) causes issues.

So, this time I uninstalled everything then followed the instructions for GSJ mod installation. This time, at the first step (the Full install), I changed the destination to "Program Files/SSI/Close Combat Invasion Normandy" (or whatever it is), because the default folder that came up was "Program Files (x86)/SSI/Close Combat Invasion Normandy

But now I get the error message "Can't find the directory: LocalFx\."

So I guess this is not the way to go either.

Can anybody help with using CC5 on Windows 8?  I really miss it and would love to play it but it just seems impossible for someone with zero computing skills (like me) to work it out.

Thanks again in advance - I'm not giving up!

stapleton_cotton

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 10:58 pm Post subject: Re: Mods not working Reply with quote

mooxe wrote (View Post):
Yes.. look for index.mpi. The search will bring a hit back for your CC5 folder, and should also for where ever the GJS one is.

Hi Mooxe thanks for your valiant efforts!
I tried searching for index.mpi in Regedit and, among many others,  it brought up C:\Config Manager\CfgV13.exe
and C:\Program Files (x86)\SSI\Close Combat Invasion Normandy\CC5.exe

Is this right? Should the Config Manager be IN Program Files too? Maybe this is where it's going wrong.

platoon_michael

Rep: 56.2

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 11:42 pm Post subject: Re: Mods not working Reply with quote

Why does stapleton's install path include.......(x86)    ?

Why wouldnt it be..............C:\Program Files\SSI\Close Combat Invasion Normandy
Like mine and how Pete said?

Is the cfg.manager not able to locate the folder because of the (x86) included in his install path?

Also where exactly did you put your cfg.manager?
desktop,my document?my pictures?  I put mine in/on my C drive

I'm just guessing

johnsilver

Rep: 61.3
votes: 4

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 12:06 am Post subject: Re: Mods not working Reply with quote

Right. Once CC5 has been installed into the x86 folder? The config manager I could never get to function at all and uninstalling every single piece, even with Revo wasn't good enough. You have to search for even more registry traces and forget exactly which tool I used on those remnants.

The Config manager on my CC5 is located inside of regular program files folder also. Not within x86 and not within the Close Combat folder that holds CC5.

Everything works fine like this, though using default install will send it (cc5) to x86 folder as most have find out who have the Windows 7 operating system.

stapleton_cotton

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 10:26 am Post subject: Re: Mods not working Reply with quote

Thanks guys - yes I have made some progress. The problem was that the install was automatically going to Program Files (x86) and not just Program Files. I have now reinstalled as you suggested and - JOY! - I now get the GJS icon on my desktop so the mod install seems to have worked fine.

However (!) - I now have the error when I click on the icon of "Unable to read one or more registries. Please reinstall Close Combat"

Is there a simple fix for this?

Googling for a solution I found this thread http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2108221&mpage=1&key=&#2108846 which suggests a fix of creating your own missing registry but the one it gives is for Wacht am Rein. Does anyone know what the equivalent registry entry should be for Normandy?

Many thanks again in advance for any help

Post new topicReply to topic printer-friendly view Close Combat Series Forum Index -> The Mess -> Tech Support
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Jump to: