Welcome to Close Combat Series
  Login or Register Home  ·  Downloads  ·  Forums  ·  Combat Camera  ·  Help  

Survey
Do incapacitations count as a soldier's kills?

Yes
No

Results
Polls

Votes 1179
Comments: 1

Shout Box!!

Only registered users can shout. Please login or create an account.

Main Menu
Articles & News  
    Help
    Player`s News
    Site News
    Multiplayer
    Terrain Challenge
    Boot Camp
Community  
    Forums
    Downloads
    Combat Camera
    MOOXE @ Youtube
    Statistics
Members  
    Private Messages
    Your Account
    Logout

Donations
Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
12/18/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
11/08/2021

Anonymous - $15.00
04/09/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
04/05/2021

Anonymous - $20.00
02/20/2021

Anonymous - $10.00
12/29/2020

Anonymous - $1.00
11/06/2020

ZAPPI4 - $20.00
10/10/2020

Find our site useful? Make a small donation to show your support.

Search for at
Close Combat Series Advanced Search

Goto page 1, 2  Next
 Author
SeanOConnor

Rep: 31.6

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 1:39 pm Post subject: Firefight - real time WW2 simulation for iPhones and iPads Reply with quote

Thought some of you guys here might be interested in my new iOS WW2 simulation game "Firefight" that's just gone live in the AppStore at:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/firefight-ww2/id883314282?mt=8

It's a free download which gets you the fully playable tutorial, and then it's $5 for the full scenarios.

It's a bit like Close Combat but I've really tried to up the realism by giving the tanks a physics engine so they steer themselves like real tracked vehicles, and bullets and shells are all modelled in 3D so they ricochet realistically off buildings and vehicles, etc...

If you take a look please let me know what you think!

Tanks zoomed in (shrunk).png
 Description:
 Filesize:  414.37 KB
 Viewed:  505 Time(s)

Tanks zoomed in (shrunk).png

Last edited by SeanOConnor on Tue Jan 20, 2015 4:52 pm; edited 1 time in total

Pzt_Kanov

Rep: 14.2
votes: 9

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 4:59 pm Post subject: Re: Firefight - real time WW2 simulation for iPads Reply with quote

Looks really interesting, I tried your other firefight game for PC ages ago.

Is this only for ipad? I don't have one but would like to try it out.

mooxe

Rep: 221.1
votes: 25

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 5:34 pm Post subject: Re: Firefight - real time WW2 simulation for iPads Reply with quote

Hey Sean thanks for keeping us updated on it.

Pzt_Crackwise

Rep: 64.9
votes: 1

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 6:27 pm Post subject: Re: Firefight - real time WW2 simulation for iPads Reply with quote

@Sean: I don't have an IPad, but would really like to see a gameplay footage of this game, at least I could recommend it to a friend perhaps.

I couldn't find a video on Youtube so far though. Could you upload a couple of gameplay videos if possible?

Pzt_Kanov

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 6:47 pm Post subject: Re: Firefight - real time WW2 simulation for iPads Reply with quote

Sean please post more videos

here's one for you guys.

Infantry: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/96522875/FF%20infantry%20sneaking.mp4
Tanks: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/96522875/FF_tanks.mp4

Looks incredible.

Seems someone is going to steal CC userbase... lol

Ivan_Zaitzev

Rep: 56.1
votes: 3

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 9:00 pm Post subject: Re: Firefight - real time WW2 simulation for iPads Reply with quote

Looks nice. Hope it gets out for Android too, I don't have an iPad.
I was about to ask if you are the same guy from the Close Combat Like game Firefight, but looked at your site and you are! It's great to see how you managed to make a mobile version.

The real Close Combat starts when you are out of ammo.
Have you hugged your AT Gun today?
My Youtube Channel
http://closecombat2.blogspot.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website GameRanger Account

pt11070

Rep: 15.6
votes: 1

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 1:35 pm Post subject: Re: Firefight - real time WW2 simulation for iPads Reply with quote

I remember this as a possible alternative to CC at the time. Very nice to see it still around. I am downloading it. Wow. Never give up your dreams, Sean.

Pt

Dima

Rep: 87.3
votes: 16

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 5:01 pm Post subject: Re: Firefight - real time WW2 simulation for iPads Reply with quote

Just tried - seems to be very good!

SeanOConnor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 9:46 am Post subject: Re: Firefight - real time WW2 simulation for iPads Reply with quote

Sorry the videos are a bit shaky. The only way I could figure out how to record them was to hold a camera over my iPad while playing a game! The game runs at 60 fps on an actual iPad but horribly slowly on a Mac's iPad simulator (because it does the OpenGL in software rather than hardware) so I can't record a video from that.

If the game sells well there will definitely be Android and Windows ports.

Dima

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 11:22 am Post subject: Re: Firefight - real time WW2 simulation for iPads Reply with quote

SeanOConnor wrote (View Post):
Sorry the videos are a bit shaky. The only way I could figure out how to record them was to hold a camera over my iPad while playing a game! The game runs at 60 fps on an actual iPad but horribly slowly on a Mac's iPad simulator (because it does the OpenGL in software rather than hardware) so I can't record a video from that.
If the game sells well there will definitely be Android and Windows ports.

i've bought it Smile

diggin.robat

Rep: 39.7
votes: 2

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 2:04 pm Post subject: Re: Firefight - real time WW2 simulation for iPads Reply with quote

Wow! Always tried to evade mac products, but this is the first argument to make me think over! Keep up the good work!

GW modding team
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website GameRanger Account

Pzt_Kanov

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 4:52 pm Post subject: Re: Firefight - real time WW2 simulation for iPads Reply with quote

Sean, shouldn't you have released the game first for PC? isn't your whole previous fan base in that market? why you decided ipad first?

diggin.robat

Rep: 39.7
votes: 2

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 4:56 pm Post subject: Re: Firefight - real time WW2 simulation for iPads Reply with quote

Hehehe, I would turn on the touch screen on my notebook. Directing units with finger tips might be cool. Maybe hammering with the finger onto the screen would work against lousy Panzer pathing...

GW modding team
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website GameRanger Account

SeanOConnor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 1:58 pm Post subject: Re: Firefight - real time WW2 simulation for iPads Reply with quote

Pzt_Kanov wrote (View Post):
Sean, shouldn't you have released the game first for PC? isn't your whole previous fan base in that market? why you decided ipad first?

That's a good question! Originally I was doing a straight port of the Windows game over to iPad but I quickly realised there was so much more I could do as that old code was written in 1996. I started again from scratch and just got a bit carried away adding more and more things as I realised how much extra processing power there was available now. I thought I'd spend about 6 months on this but ended up spending nearly 2 years.

One advantage of iOS programming over Windows though is you can guarantee that every iPad has OpenGL. Windows has DirectX but you don't know which version of the vital helper D3DX9_nn.DLL the user has installed, if any. The top-end games solution to this is to just ship the DirectX installer with every download. The lack of a Windows AppStore for anyone except Windows 8 users is ridiculous too. It feels as if MS really doesn't care about us small developers, but Apple has embraced us!

My plan is to look into the newish Direct2D that MS has made (available on Vista, 7 and 8 - but not XP) and maybe try and use Steam too.

US_Brake

Rep: 24.2
votes: 22

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 4:51 pm Post subject: Re: Firefight - real time WW2 simulation for iPads Reply with quote

Looks kinda like the game Zonbie was workin on

Close Combat's most infamous SOB
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website GameRanger Account

Dima

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 2:25 am Post subject: Re: Firefight - real time WW2 simulation for iPads Reply with quote

Hi Sean,

Been playing FF on my Ipad mini Retina during the flight recently, there are some problems I've noticed:

1) Tank pathfinding is on CC2 level Sad. They move backward instead of forward. No way to turn them in right direction with commands.
2) Tanks don't fire a main gun when ordered "fire" command.
3) Infantry squads should have at least 1 LMG not just rifles and SMG.
4) Tanks don't fire main guns on spotted infantry/gun targets marked by "?" and only use MGs.
5) Please add new maps, as it is kind of boring to play different scenarios of a single map.

SeanOConnor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 11:56 am Post subject: Re: Firefight - real time WW2 simulation for iPads Reply with quote

Dima wrote (View Post):
Hi Sean,

Been playing FF on my Ipad mini Retina during the flight recently, there are some problems I've noticed:

1) Tank pathfinding is on CC2 level Sad. They move backward instead of forward. No way to turn them in right direction with commands.
4) Tanks don't fire main guns on spotted infantry/gun targets marked by "?" and only use MGs.
5) Please add new maps, as it is kind of boring to play different scenarios of a single map.

1) I don't think it's the path finding itself that's the problem, it's getting the tanks to drive along that path that is the tricky bit. CC cheats because it allows tanks to turn on the spot (which very few WW2 tanks could do - and they'd probably lose a track if they did try it). I wanted FF tanks to drive more realistically, so they have to use their brake levers to steer. They'll reverse if the destination is just a little way behind them, rather than turn around. I'll need to add some more code though to prevent them doing that reverse if they are pointing their rear at the enemy. I'll also make it so they put more effort into facing the danger front on once they have reached their destinations.

2) Tanks will tend to not waste their main gun ammo if you order them to fire, but they will on occasion. They wont shoot their main gun if they only have armour-piercing shells like with 2 pounders. There's just not much point shooting AP speculatively!

3) I'm pretty sure every infantry squad does have an LMG

4) see answer for (2)

5) I'm working on the next map right now! It would have been great to have had a whole set of maps ready for the initial release, but I'd spent nearly 2 years working on this game and I needed to start making some money!

Pzt_Kanov

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 4:24 pm Post subject: Re: Firefight - real time WW2 simulation for iPads Reply with quote

Sean, in the original Firefight you had the option to make random maps based on some parameters. Correct?

Why this changed in this version? why are you following the artisanal manual creation of maps like in close combat? doesn't this seems like a step backwards?

SeanOConnor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 4:17 pm Post subject: Re: Firefight - real time WW2 simulation for iPads Reply with quote

Pzt_Kanov wrote (View Post):
Sean, in the original Firefight you had the option to make random maps based on some parameters. Correct?

Why this changed in this version? why are you following the artisanal manual creation of maps like in close combat? doesn't this seems like a step backwards?

Yes, that's right, the Windows version does generate random maps. The trouble with that I thought was they were always a bit samey and it would be virtually impossible to get them to look as nice as the hand-drawn ones I'll be adding to the new iPad version.

When I come to do a Windows port I might include the Windows map data generator I've written so it would be possible for people to create their own maps. You'd need to create a 4096x4096 background image, and then use my map generator to add the buildings, trees, fences, hill contours, units etc...

SeanOConnor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 5:40 pm Post subject: Re: Firefight - real time WW2 simulation for iPads Reply with quote

Dima wrote (View Post):
Hi Sean,

1) A new update has just gone live and there are some improvements to tank movement, and they'll now always try and keep their fronts facing danger.
2) Tanks do fire their main gun sometimes but mostly will use their MGs. They won't fire their main gun though if it doesn't have any HE rounds - I didn't think they'd be much point in firing AP rounds speculatively.
3) I think all the squads do have an LMG?
4) Same as 2) I guess
5) I'm working on new maps right now! There are two more in the works at the moment and they should be ready in a couple of weeks time.

Post new topicReply to topic printer-friendly view Close Combat Series Forum Index -> The Mess
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Jump to: