Welcome to Close Combat Series
  Login or Register Home  ·  Downloads  ·  Forums  ·  Combat Camera  ·  Help  

Survey
Do incapacitations count as a soldier's kills?

Yes
No

Results
Polls

Votes 1179
Comments: 1

Shout Box!!

Only registered users can shout. Please login or create an account.

Main Menu
Articles & News  
    Help
    Player`s News
    Site News
    Multiplayer
    Terrain Challenge
    Boot Camp
Community  
    Forums
    Downloads
    Combat Camera
    MOOXE @ Youtube
    Statistics
Members  
    Private Messages
    Your Account
    Logout

Donations
Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
12/18/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
11/08/2021

Anonymous - $15.00
04/09/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
04/05/2021

Anonymous - $20.00
02/20/2021

Anonymous - $10.00
12/29/2020

Anonymous - $1.00
11/06/2020

ZAPPI4 - $20.00
10/10/2020

Find our site useful? Make a small donation to show your support.

Search for at
Close Combat Series Advanced Search

Author
JochenHeiden

Rep: 0.7

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 7:15 pm Post subject: Working on a mod...anyone interested? Reply with quote

Hey guys,

Just got PITF the other day.  The last time I played CC was early 2000s and it was CC5.  I was in love with this series since CC2 and was heavily involved in the MOD scene back then.  I'm back and I want to help make some good mods!  As it stands now I am not entirely satisfied with the size of the teams in and how they divided everything up into fire teams and such.  I am not striving for historical realism here, but game play.  So far, I have basically doubled the size of the fireteams on both sides and I have found the game play much more rewarding.  I was using the soldier survivability mod as a base, and I retained the elements and soldiers file, but I have reverted to the stock weapons file and started editing that.  I did dumb down the MG42 to make it less devastating, and increase some effectiveness for rifles and SMGs.  The result is, I feel, a great mix between soldier survivability and kill ability.  I am also increasing the speed slightly that AT guns can be moved to improve their mobility and usefulness without the need of mounting them to trucks.  

Overall, this mod is a work in progress but I am into day 2 of the campaign and loving the changes.  As I find imbalances or problems I am correcting them.  My question is, once I finish my work would anyone be interested?  There would be a whole list of changes provided.  My last challenge is understanding how the forcepools and unit structure files actually work, so I can adjust slots on battlegroups.  If anyone could help me with that, it would be a great assistance!

Pzt_Crackwise

Rep: 64.9
votes: 1

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 8:33 pm Post subject: Re: Working on a mod...anyone interested? Reply with quote

I have both PitF and Gateway to Cean (GtC). However, I like GtC more and would also be interested seeing such a mod for GtC. Would you be able to mod it as well? Or are PitF and Gtc compatible by chance?

JochenHeiden

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 8:40 pm Post subject: Re: Working on a mod...anyone interested? Reply with quote

I'm just now getting into CC after a long hiatus (10+ years).  I started with PITF and once I get satisfaction from it, I'll move on to the GTC.  I doubt the mods are going to be completely compatible, but once I do move to GTC I can attempt a similar modification!

JochenHeiden

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 10:11 am Post subject: Re: Working on a mod...anyone interested? Reply with quote

So here are some screenshots from my mod changes thusfar.  Please note, this isn't necessarily based on reality but playability.  I have figured out how to get all 21 slots working on any battlegroup, so it'll be academic at this point creating companies and platoons.  (Click on all photos for larger!)

Here is a picture of what I think is a great combined-arms platoon for a Panzergrenadier platoon.  It has a Zugtruppe (officer), 4 panzergrenadier teams, a heavy MG42 team and a panzerschreck team.  I have removed the MG42 from the panzergrenadier teams because I felt there was simply too much power available to each team.  In exchange, I have added two G43s, a grenade launcher K98, and a couple panzerfausts.  I have slightly increased the rate of fire and base accuracy of the K98s to help improve the void left by taking out the MG.  Now, each panzergrenadier team has one SMG and nothing but an assortment of rifles, but improved AT capability for close-range.  The schweres MG42 will be the platoon's heavy hitter and I have made sure to increase its burst size and base accuracy very slightly.  The platoon will support the MG42.  I have also added a larger panzerschreck team to give the platoon a very nice AT capability.  The panzerschreck's base accuracy has been slightly increased to give it better standoff capability against large armor forces.  Because the only way I have found to increase the BG's slot alotment was to add "companies" my intention is to vary the type of companies and leaving only one platoon in each company so a player can rotate different platoons in and out of combat to simulate combat rotation of depleted units.  

Here's a picture of the panzergrenadier platoon laying out in a field.  Quite an impressive force!  The total compliment of troops for this platoon is now nearly 50 troops.

Here's another platoon garrisoned in a building.  Again, you don't want to walk into that field.

Here's the entire platoon on the move, ready to head out and cause some serious destruction.

I am still looking for suggestions/opinions on how I am doing with this.  Also, if you have some suggestions as to what sort of support units I should be including, please help!  My intention is to work off of what the basic BGs have, and adjusting the quantities accordingly.  I do, of course, want maximum infantry slots used.  I will adjust and make different companies for the different types of units as well, again looking for input.

Pzt_Crackwise

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 11:42 am Post subject: Re: Working on a mod...anyone interested? Reply with quote

Looks nice! I wonder is it possible to change PitF's explosion effects with those of GtC? Because GtC explosion effects rock!

Schmal_Turm

Rep: 60.4

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 4:04 pm Post subject: Re: Working on a mod...anyone interested? Reply with quote

I like it. That way you can have an MG42 and a Panzerschreck without having to do without a unit such as a half-track, tank, etc, which I never would have done without.

"No plan ever survives first contact with the enemy." Moltke

JochenHeiden

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 4:52 pm Post subject: Re: Working on a mod...anyone interested? Reply with quote

So far I have completed two german Battlegroups.  I am doing my best to leave the vehicle selection as-is regarding the support options, but I am reorganizing the platoons.  Right now, I have made changes so that the first platoon will have a company commander, and the second platoon will have just a platoon commander.  We'll get more officers on the map and higher ranked.. gives you something to "protect."

Another change I have made thusfar is dramatically increasing the mobility of AT guns, so they can be quickly and effectively repositioned.  Obviously they will not move at the same speed of a tank, but when a gun is on wheels and has a crew of 5 there's no reason why it can't be pushed at a walking pace.  Initial experiments with this change have had outstanding results.  I had a 2cm flak gun on the map and it was poorly positioned, and I was able to bring its gun to bear on an enemy in a couple minutes without much hastle!  It might entice people to use AT guns as an option again.

JochenHeiden

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 5:11 pm Post subject: Re: Working on a mod...anyone interested? Reply with quote

Here is KG Schmidt on Day 1 of the grand campaign.  The platoons are set, and the support options are available.  Seems reasonable, yeah?  To make up for the increased size of the units, I have also adjusted the morale and experience level of the units accordingly so you can't completely steamroll the AI.  Of course, I will be making edits to the US side as well, but I am simply starting with the German size and I'll balance the US size accordingly.  I'm thinking about making the US teams significantly larger as well.

JochenHeiden

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 8:40 pm Post subject: Re: Working on a mod...anyone interested? Reply with quote

Hey guys, more progress!

As I am going through the battlegroups/KGs, I am trying to take some of the indigenous units and improving them.  I found KG Knittel today, and while going through its available units and support units, I noticed what appeared to be platoons of pioniers and aufklärers that were only available as support units, so I basically reassigned them as pionier and recon platoon/companies.  Now, instead of rocking two entire PzGrenadier platoons for your first 14 units, you can select in PzGrenadier platoons, Aufklärer, or Pionier platoons.  Each platoon/company type has its own indigenous support.  

For example, the pionier platoon now has one Zugtrupp (platoon commander), 4 full-strength pionier fire teams equipped with an assortment of rifles, SMGs, demo charges and panzerfausts, a LIGHT MG-42 team, and a plussed-up flammenwerfer team.  The Aufklärer platoon has the ZugTrupp, 4 full-strength recon teams with rifles, SMGs and panzerfausts, a LIGHT MG-42 and a small-but-powerful Panzerjäger team armed to the teeth with panzerfausts, demo charges and SMGs.  You can mix-match these platoons however you see fit if the BG/KG supports those companies.

How does all this sound so far?

Pzt_Crackwise

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 9:38 pm Post subject: Re: Working on a mod...anyone interested? Reply with quote

Sounds, great! The gameplay will likely feel more like GJS with this mod now, which is a pretty good thing for competitive multiplayer games.

One thing though: Increasing the size of PzSchreck teams to 4-5 may result in them getting spotted easier. (I am not sure if it has an impact though) But the 3-men teams for schrecks are usually good enough.

DoktorPaj

Rep: 28.4

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 11:58 pm Post subject: Re: Working on a mod...anyone interested? Reply with quote

This is kind of OT, but is it possible to edit the CC5 version of the Soldier screen to show individual stats for up to ten soldiers as in PITF instead of the current seven? I've tried making teams bigger for the releases before PITF, but if I can't track the soldiers stats it's not really fun to play with larger squads.

JochenHeiden

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 8:31 am Post subject: Re: Working on a mod...anyone interested? Reply with quote

Pzt_Crackwise wrote (View Post):
Sounds, great! The gameplay will likely feel more like GJS with this mod now, which is a pretty good thing for competitive multiplayer games.

One thing though: Increasing the size of PzSchreck teams to 4-5 may result in them getting spotted easier. (I am not sure if it has an impact though) But the 3-men teams for schrecks are usually good enough.

Thanks for the suggestion!  I will reduce the team size.

JochenHeiden

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 8:32 am Post subject: Re: Working on a mod...anyone interested? Reply with quote

DoktorPaj wrote (View Post):
This is kind of OT, but is it possible to edit the CC5 version of the Soldier screen to show individual stats for up to ten soldiers as in PITF instead of the current seven? I've tried making teams bigger for the releases before PITF, but if I can't track the soldiers stats it's not really fun to play with larger squads.

Maybe ask this in the CC5 forum?

dj

Rep: 157.1
votes: 9

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 4:54 pm Post subject: Re: Working on a mod...anyone interested? Reply with quote

JochenHeiden, I like the big teams.  In my opinion if it is Single Player vs AI, the big teams is good idea.  Dreaded88 did that in his Grossdeutchland mod with great affect.  Especially when the AI went on the attack with several teams or the majority of platoon on assault.

JochenHeiden

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 8:57 am Post subject: Re: Working on a mod...anyone interested? Reply with quote

I'm making good progress.  As I redefine a few of the core companies and platoons, working on the battlegroups gets easier as many use similar types of companies.  I have strong aufklärer, pionier, and panzergrenadier companies and platoons defined.  I am adjusting support levels accordingly so the player isn't overwhelmed with options in that department.  I haven't quite figured out how to work armored companies that can fill the first 14 slots... still trying to figure out if I want those selectable as platoons in lieu of infantry or if I want each tank selectable on its own as a support unit, leaving the first 14 slots strictly as infantry.

JochenHeiden

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 5:58 am Post subject: Re: Working on a mod...anyone interested? Reply with quote

I have all the first day German KGs edited and ready for combat.  I have not edited any KGs past the first day's turns but many of them will have some of the changes incorporated from other KGs that share similar units.  I have done very basic changes to the American side... their changes are forthcoming.  Basically, I'm looking for a couple beta testers to fire up my changes and see how they're playing.  Is anyone interested?

Schmal_Turm

Rep: 60.4

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 8:07 pm Post subject: Re: Working on a mod...anyone interested? Reply with quote

Count me in. I am ready to playtest any time.

"No plan ever survives first contact with the enemy." Moltke

Hesus

Rep: 43.1

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 9:28 am Post subject: Re: Working on a mod...anyone interested? Reply with quote

Mod looks nice, i am waiting and looking forward to mods for PITF and GTC because i always loved the 7 men squads, the 21 units per battle group is interesting as well for MP i think.

If you need someone to beta test the mod don't hesitate to contact me.

JochenHeiden

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 5:13 pm Post subject: Re: Working on a mod...anyone interested? Reply with quote

Sorry about the absence!  Real life has been hard lately.  Also play-tested a little mysef and found some issues, so let me work those out first before I make this public for testing.  Give me a few more days!

Post new topicReply to topic printer-friendly view Close Combat Series Forum Index -> Close Combat Panthers in the Fog

Jump to: