Welcome to Close Combat Series
  Login or Register Home  ·  Downloads  ·  Forums  ·  Combat Camera  ·  Help  

Survey
Do incapacitations count as a soldier's kills?

Yes
No

Results
Polls

Votes 1224
Comments: 1

Shout Box!!

Only registered users can shout. Please login or create an account.

Main Menu
Articles & News  
    Help
    Player`s News
    Site News
    Multiplayer
    Terrain Challenge
    Boot Camp
Community  
    Forums
    Downloads
    Combat Camera
    MOOXE @ Youtube
    Statistics
Members  
    Private Messages
    Your Account
    Logout

Donations
Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
12/18/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
11/08/2021

Anonymous - $15.00
04/09/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
04/05/2021

Anonymous - $20.00
02/20/2021

Anonymous - $10.00
12/29/2020

Anonymous - $1.00
11/06/2020

ZAPPI4 - $20.00
10/10/2020

Find our site useful? Make a small donation to show your support.

Search for at
Close Combat Series Advanced Search

Goto page Previous  1, 2
 Author
Ramcke

Rep: 10.4

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 4:14 pm Post subject: Re: What is the best WW2 film made (in your opinion): Reply with quote

russian filmmakers made a huge Stalingrad movie, not bad but not great

Downfall has some nice scenes, i remember the SS unit all in correct camo(lol,holliwood never has germans in correct uniforms)

Brad Pitt is doing a tank movie, coming out in Oct in UK

Tippi-Simo

Rep: 53.1
votes: 5

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 4:11 pm Post subject: Re: What is the best WW2 film made (in your opinion): Reply with quote

Last one I saw worth mention is "Unsere Mütter, unsere Väter" / "Generation War"
It is actually a 3 part miniseries.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1883092/

"Du talar dalig svenska, men du är bra i sängen"

agidol

Rep: 0.1

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 7:46 pm Post subject: Re: What is the best WW2 film made (in your opinion): Reply with quote

Surprised no one mentioned Saving Private Ryan or Letters from Iwo Jima.

they are not exactly movies but the band of brothers and the Pacific are also worthy of watching!

Rodmorg

Rep: 42.6

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 9:43 pm Post subject: Re: What is the best WW2 film made (in your opinion): Reply with quote

Agidol, I've heard of SPR and seen it, but not my favorite. I prefer the films from the 60's-late 80's films.

I'm hoping that Fury would be a nice film when it comes out in mid October.

Winner of the Close Combat fanatics 'Panthers League'

Antony_nz

Rep: 85.9
votes: 6

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 2:29 am Post subject: Re: What is the best WW2 film made (in your opinion): Reply with quote

Letters of Iwo Jima was good. But theirs one thing that completely screwed the movie up. Filter! !!!!!!
God Dam it. The whole entire movie was filmed in a blue filter. Cant watch it. Everything looks gray or green or orange or blue.
So many movies do it these days. Just show us what was actually filmed in real life. I saw a behind the scenes photo of Eastwood and a Japanese soldier. And it looked awesome with out the filter!

Saving private Ryan was obviously a great war movie. Got me into ww2 in a major way.  I loved it. But i was just a kid.
SPR was more of a emotional roller coaster than a representation of a military operation.(for my taste)  I could post some more criticisms of SPR. But ill leave it at that. There are also general criticisms of Spielberg that could be discussed. Despite the fact he is a great director.

http://talesofclosecombat.blogspot.co.nz/
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website GameRanger Account

johnsilver

Rep: 61.3
votes: 4

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 12:06 pm Post subject: Re: What is the best WW2 film made (in your opinion): Reply with quote

Before there was Das Boot.. There was this odd little movie about sea faring German sailors before and after the war. Starts off with career in peacetime, ends with fall of Germany.

One of the 1st Naval books read from WW2. Movie cut out many areas and can be hard to find now on the net, though is still a hard-hitter for it's time.. "Sharks and Little Fish"

Sharks and Little Fish

Edit:

My favorite part in the book is where Teichman reports to the old Minesweeper for the 1st time, an old grizzled cook greets him as he's trying to report, says nothing except: Moses, you idle bastard.. Get busy and peel those spuds"

Teichman knew he was in for a world of hurt.. Had to knock jack boots upside down to get the cockroaches out of them before putting them on after waking up before each shift. The author put so many truths into wooden hulled old relics and old grilled sailors into this story (book) tho the movie left some out. The story is an incredible set of tales and lives, mostly true it seems.

HogansHeros

Rep: 28.5

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 5:09 pm Post subject: Re: What is the best WW2 film made (in your opinion): Reply with quote

The Battle of the River Plate/Pursuit of the Graf Spee (I hate when movies change names for an American release) deserves a mention.  It made a commendable effort for realism with the ships used: HMS Cumberland and HMNZS Achilles [having been sold and recommissioned INS Delhi] both appear as themselves in the film. HMS Jamaica filled in for HMS Exeter and HMS Sheffield for HMS Ajax. The real big, but understandable, variance was USS Salem pretending to be Admiral Graf Spee--which added the complication of US Navy prohibitions on using Nazi insignia aboard.

While the battle itself is entertaining enough (though the timeline obviously gets fudged a little) the diplomatic wrangling after the battle was just as interesting to me in part because that is a side of things not often shown in war films. I could have done without the bits about the prisoners aboard Graf Spee but the idea for the movie was based on a book by one of them so I guess they had to be included--plus they add a self sacrificing human interest hook, but I still could have done without it.

vobbnobb

Rep: 73
votes: 6

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 7:08 am Post subject: Re: What is the best WW2 film made (in your opinion): Reply with quote

just found this
http://www.filmy-wojenne.info/index.php?film=infantry_movies&f=13

My WW2 CC Series TimeLine
http://tinyurl.com/n2vrec5

johnsilver

Rep: 61.3
votes: 4

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 9:00 am Post subject: Re: What is the best WW2 film made (in your opinion): Reply with quote

vobbnobb wrote (View Post):
just found this
http://www.filmy-wojenne.info/index.php?film=infantry_movies&f=13  

Original Zulu on that list is one of the best movies ever made IMO. Young Michael Caine.. Loaded with great actors. Remake in the late 70's ain't bad either. Highly recommend watching both versions back to back. TONS of supporting actors. They had to spend a fortune making both.

HogansHeros

Rep: 28.5

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 6:07 pm Post subject: Re: What is the best WW2 film made (in your opinion): Reply with quote

Paths of Glory is a good--maybe great--film but again I'm not sure it is exactly a "war film". Maybe it is a war film but not a battle film if you grasp the distinction.

platoon_michael

Rep: 56.2
votes: 25

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 3:17 pm Post subject: Re: What is the best WW2 film made (in your opinion): Reply with quote

Cant say its a best but the Monuments Men was fairly good.

Uberdave

Rep: 26.9

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 8:18 pm Post subject: Re: What is the best WW2 film made (in your opinion): Reply with quote

Ugh, I thought Monuments Men felt more like a documentary than a movie.  Confused

As for anything American-made out in the last five years, I'd say 'Fury'.

platoon_michael

Rep: 56.2
votes: 25

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 11:37 pm Post subject: Re: What is the best WW2 film made (in your opinion): Reply with quote

If you look at the task they had at hand how could you expect anything more than a documentary type of film?
For some reason what they did isn't considered Glorious.
And yet how can you consider it to be any but Glorious?

The importance of the film is not the film itself, but what those men accomplished and the circumstances in which they had to do their job.

Lets not forget the fact that not only did somebody had the foresight to not only think of such historical importance and strive to save it, but put their lives on the line for it.

This isn't a movie made to entertain you.

Its a movie made to enlighten you.
No different than those depicting the Concentration Camps. Such as how they did with Band of Brothers.

It just doesn't receive that amount of attention.

Look at how the Allies focused on the amount of Gold that was captured rather than the amount of Art that was saved.  That was a True National broadcast from back then.
The amount of Gold captured was national Headlines.

Not the Amount of Art that was obtained.

There was so much more to WWII,other than killing.

Look at the statement at the end of the film for an example.

"Will anybody remember the men who died to save art 30 years from now"?

sod98

Rep: 11.6

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 11:20 am Post subject: Re: What is the best WW2 film made (in your opinion): Reply with quote

Another good Pacific War movie - Oba. You need to get a copy that has subs for the Japanese audio which is about half the movie. Closest other movie to it would be Letters from Iwo Jima.

A mini series ( 3 episodes ) - Generation War. From the German perspective also.

Also await releases that look good - Unbroken and the Mighty Eighth. Off the topic a little - 71.

sod98

Rep: 11.6

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2015 1:05 am Post subject: Re: What is the best WW2 film made (in your opinion): Reply with quote

A new WW2 movie - April 9th. Based on the German invasion of Denmark in 1940. Uses pretty authentic Dane and German weapons, armoured cars and tanks of the era. Overall a very good watch as long as you don't mind subs as it is Danish.

Post new topicReply to topic printer-friendly view Close Combat Series Forum Index -> The Mess
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Jump to: