Welcome to Close Combat Series
  Login or Register Home  ·  Downloads  ·  Forums  ·  Combat Camera  ·  Help  

Survey
Do incapacitations count as a soldier's kills?

Yes
No

Results
Polls

Votes 1179
Comments: 1

Shout Box!!

Only registered users can shout. Please login or create an account.

Main Menu
Articles & News  
    Help
    Player`s News
    Site News
    Multiplayer
    Terrain Challenge
    Boot Camp
Community  
    Forums
    Downloads
    Combat Camera
    MOOXE @ Youtube
    Statistics
Members  
    Private Messages
    Your Account
    Logout

Donations
Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
12/18/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
11/08/2021

Anonymous - $15.00
04/09/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
04/05/2021

Anonymous - $20.00
02/20/2021

Anonymous - $10.00
12/29/2020

Anonymous - $1.00
11/06/2020

ZAPPI4 - $20.00
10/10/2020

Find our site useful? Make a small donation to show your support.

Search for at
Close Combat Series Advanced Search

Goto page 1, 2  Next
 Author
vobbnobb

Rep: 73
votes: 6

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 3:39 am Post subject: Finished CC2 GC Reply with quote

Well just finished cc2. I installed the official 2.0b patch, by setting the patch to run as admin and win95 mode or it would not detect. I have now officially played all the GC for all the CC games to date. CC2 is the only GC CC game where I did not win. Is this historically set to lose on neutral?

Way different game play than I had played on any CC games and I have played them all. I played this on normal neutral settings..

Enemy had constantly way more tanks, a good 5-1.
There is absolutely no fun factor on neutral, you can't hardly move to any of the flags. Rarely did I see battles that I would capture even three flags.
Enemy tanks would move right past my AT guns. Then destroy them
PShreks team of 2 would take out 7 member AD-hoc guys constantly by assaulting.
I felt like my teams would just sit there and and not do anything
MG teams and scouts took out more of my tanks than anything.

I think the only amazing thing I did was take out a Panther with a Daimler IV
If not historically set to lose on neutral... They had really dropped the ball on this game even worse than CC1....

My WW2 CC Series TimeLine
http://tinyurl.com/n2vrec5

vobbnobb

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 4:19 am Post subject: Re: Finished CC2 GC Reply with quote

EDIT

for some reason when selecting custom mode on GC and playing on it puts the game in HERO difficulty mode. I selected the Veteran tab and its back to close combat again soldiers shoot move etc now. must be suppressed on Hero mode.

The Glitch is probably what turned people off in the 90's. Playing on Veteran and its pretty damn good now. Double thumbs up..

vobbnobb

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 5:16 am Post subject: Re: Finished CC2 GC Reply with quote

Double take that back again recruit is the only level where both teams are fair allies still have AI suppressed in vet mode.. Suppressed meaning not a fair mode one side still doesn't do much. Found historically set would be vet tmode

Ivan_Zaitzev

Rep: 56.1
votes: 3

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 11:54 pm Post subject: Re: Finished CC2 GC Reply with quote

I don't know what you are talking about. CC2 is probably the best game in the series.
You might want to check TIK's LP and compare that to your own, maybe try reinstalling the game. There might be something wrong with your installation. People put off back in the 90's? I think CC2 was quite a success and this is the first time I hear of this glitch.

I won a GC a couple of months ago with no problem. 6pdrs are quite good against tanks. Also, gammon bombs from buildings in 2.0b.

The real Close Combat starts when you are out of ammo.
Have you hugged your AT Gun today?
My Youtube Channel
http://closecombat2.blogspot.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website GameRanger Account

vobbnobb

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 8:51 am Post subject: Re: Finished CC2 GC Reply with quote

patch and game work fine under win95 mode. my AT guns are suppressed constantly and using them on tanks after being pinned in vet mode is just about useless are you playing recruit on GC? 50 cal HT do a great job on mg42 teams far away. maps are terrible to understand.

vet.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  476.48 KB
 Viewed:  914 Time(s)

vet.png

TheImperatorKnight

Rep: 30.4
votes: 1

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 9:57 pm Post subject: Re: Finished CC2 GC Reply with quote

Someone complaining that a CC game is too hard... VS THE AI !!! Shocked

Seriously though, this is good news Very Happy

Ok, you played as the Allies. You have to be quick and win early, otherwise you'll get swamped. This is what happened historically and the Allies campaign is harder than the Germans campaign for that reason. As the Germans, you need to delay as much as possible and wait until reinforcements arrive later. Once you've got a load of heavy tanks, you slaughter the Allies. This is what I really enjoyed about this game, the campaign was fair for both sides. Allies have advantage early, Axis have advantage later.

Most German squads have Panzerfausts. They're super-deadly in CC2, unlike in the later CC games. Avoid using your tanks at close range to enemy infantry, and use them more in support of your infantry. MG's will suppress from outside a building - this happens in every CC game. MG's are deadly. You're also only in a wooden building. Bullets go through wood. Saying that, your losses for Day 2 seem quite high.

CC2 doesn't play like a lot of the games. Forget the flags - win the battle. I actually found it really difficult to move from CC2 to the later games because I used to fight and defeat the enemy, rather than play capture the flag. I've now got used to playing capture the flag, but still prefer a good hard fight, which is part of the reason I created my small map mod for GWTC.

I play on Veteran mostly, only because I like things to be even on the field of battle (I don't mind being outnumbered, but I don't like fighting against troops that are fearless etc when my troops aren't). If you want a challenge, play against Ivan!

I have a Close Combat Youtube Channel

My Small Maps Mod for Close Combat: Gateway to Caen. Install guide and discussion
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website GameRanger Account

Ivan_Zaitzev

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 12:59 am Post subject: Re: Finished CC2 GC Reply with quote

I don't know man. I don't really understand your image. What is wrong with what you point out?
You don't need win95 compatibility, but you might want to try CC Starter.
Maybe this is not the game for you, I have never seen that behavior with AT guns, try reinstalling the game.

My Youtube Channel
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website GameRanger Account

Ivan_Zaitzev

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 1:03 am Post subject: Re: Finished CC2 GC Reply with quote

TheImperatorKnight wrote (View Post):
If you want a challenge, play against Ivan!

I could say the same about you! My PC is currently on the E.R. but we should continue our campaign when I get it back. By the end of the month probably.

My Youtube Channel

vobbnobb

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 8:01 am Post subject: Re: Finished CC2 GC Reply with quote

regardless of mg042 penetrating wooden walls they never seam to get suppressed. A BAR team would certainly be able to accomplish that, but all were wiped out in building as mg team just casually walked toward it.

TheImperatorKnight

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 10:14 pm Post subject: Re: Finished CC2 GC Reply with quote

vobbnobb wrote (View Post):
regardless of mg042 penetrating wooden walls they never seam to get suppressed. A BAR team would certainly be able to accomplish that, but all were wiped out in building as mg team just casually walked toward it.

Tbf, it's like that in most CC games. In GWTC, it's rare in my games for any infantryman to get a kill, unless they have MG42's. And I'm sure I've got video somewhere in PITF where most of my force is firing on an MG42 squad, the MG42 fires back, and instantly all my teams are suppressed - and they were in buildings! The difference is, in the recent games, most units have tanks so they can defeat the MG42's. In CC2, the paras don't get tanks, so you feel it even more.

My advice is to keep your infantry still and don't clump them together. There's no point putting more than one squad in the same building. Position them so they can support each other, then wait for the enemy to move towards you and chew them up. Infantry that move are dead. This tactic works even on the attack because the AI will move towards your side of the screen.

My Small Maps Mod for Close Combat: Gateway to Caen. Install guide and discussion
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website GameRanger Account

vobbnobb

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 4:37 am Post subject: Re: Finished CC2 GC Reply with quote

cc2 sure is a whole different animal. It programs in all the enemy tanks while allies have zero battle after battle with none on most maps. Then you don't know if they have them or not so you don't select any bazooka or AT gun teams

Dima

Rep: 87.3
votes: 16

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 2:04 pm Post subject: Re: Finished CC2 GC Reply with quote

cc2 sure is a whole different animal. It programs in all the enemy tanks while allies have zero battle after battle with none on most maps. Then you don't know if they have them or not so you don't select any bazooka or AT gun teams

Having played like a dozen of CC2 H2H GCs and several vs AI in those days I must say that you are my hero!

TheImperatorKnight

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 9:00 pm Post subject: Re: Finished CC2 GC Reply with quote

Have you read up on Operation Market Garden? Link to wikipedia. It was a historic loss for the Allies.

The paras don't get access to tanks unless 30 Corps gets to them. You should aim to capture every bridge (except maybe Arnhem Rail Bridge because you don't need that one) with the paras early so the tanks can get through most of the way before the Germans appear. My advice is to expect to be facing tanks in every battle from the second day onwards so you're not caught off guard.

vobbnobb

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 12:24 am Post subject: Re: Finished CC2 GC Reply with quote

You're right. Yeah I forgot about that when I played Last Stand Arnhem. Wikipedia does list it as an allied operational failure.

and I found that Wiki lists Arnhem a German victory.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Arnhem

So Microsoft and Atomic did do a pretty good job on the history part and maybe that's why I'm having a hard time as allies on vet mode is just about a forced loss. I felt that In LSA you could win as allies on neutral mode if you played it right though.

TheImperatorKnight

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 11:43 am Post subject: Re: Finished CC2 GC Reply with quote

You're right. Yeah I forgot about that when I played Last Stand Arnhem. Wikipedia does list it as an allied operational failure.

and I found that Wiki lists Arnhem a German victory.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Arnhem

So Microsoft and Atomic did do a pretty good job on the history part and maybe that's why I'm having a hard time as allies on vet mode is just about a forced loss. I felt that In LSA you could win as allies on neutral mode if you played it right though.

I mean, you can win as the Allies in CC2 if you play it right. Speed is everything. I'm working from memory here so it might not be 100% accurate, but - You need to take most of the bridges and hold the LZ's with your paras (you won't take Nijmegen Bridge with paras, and Son and Arnhem Rail will probably blow, but if you capture them - BONUS!) and then race 30 Corps to Nijmegen to take that bridge as soon as possible. Nijmegen Bridge map is crucial and difficult to take in good time. I did manage to take it once as paras, but I lost it again the battle after Confused best to wait for the tanks to arrive before trying to take it.

As the paras, you need to race to your bridges on the first day (except Nijmegen Bridge since the 10th SS Panzer Division will slaughter you when you get there anyway). Don't delay even if you need extra manpower, always take 1 hour truces until you capture the bridges. If Son bridge blows, it's annoying but not the end of the world so long as you can get the tanks to capture it as soon as they arrive so they can construct a bailey bridge. At Arnhem, you'll probably not take the Rail Bridge, but that's not an issue. You should hurry and take the Arnhem Bridge map on the first day.

Day 2 will see the Germans strengthen. Both sides become "even" at this point. If you've not taken some of the bridges by now, you're in trouble. 30 Corps will reach the Son area today (hopefully) and take the bridge (hopefully). You should hold the LZ at Nijmegen and put pressure on the Germans at Nijmegen City or Bridge maps. Chances of you taking Nijmegen Bridge is still low. At Arnhem, you should hold the Bridge map but might be pushed back and unable to resupply it, especially if you lose the LZ. You need to take the LZ fully in order to receive supplies. If you can keep everyone in supply, awesome. Chances are, you'll not be able to.

30 Corps should reach Nijmegen on the 3rd day. Good luck taking the bridge, that's all I can say about that  Laughing  By this point, the Germans have the advantage in most areas. Eventually you'll take Nijmegen and advance to Arnhem, hopefully by the 4th or 5th day.

At Arnhem Bridge, you'll be hanging on, probably cut off from supplies. My advice to you is to hold the South Eastern part of that map around the Prov Govt Office and keep the Truce button active at all times - see this old test video of mine for an example of me defending against a 150pt German battlegroup with only 20pts (full ammo though).

Three things to note -
#1 numbers mean more than quality. When your requisition points are low, take lower quality teams that allow more boots on the ground. E.g. two Ad Hoc Rifle teams are better than one full Rifle team because you get the same amount of men, but they're cheaper to purchase, and since you won't have maxed out squad numbers they're a good choice.
2# Ad Hoc Rifle teams are better than Recon squads. Don't ask me why, they just are, and they're cheaper.
3# You just need to hold part of the map, not the full map. Keep your guys together, defend the south with infantry and avoid the enemy tanks as much as possible. Ambush. Truce truce truce.

On a side note, I haven't bought all the CC games, but I regret buying LSA. It's not a remake of CC2, it's nothing like CC2.

Stwa

Rep: 308.9

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 9:52 pm Post subject: Re: Finished CC2 GC Reply with quote

I always thought CC2 to be fun. So, I upscaled the maps so they were roughly the same visual scale as CC4/CC5.

You can't run or shoot through walls, long firefights. etc..  Arrow

TheImperatorKnight

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 5:45 pm Post subject: Re: Finished CC2 GC Reply with quote

But Stwa, you can't play the original campaign like that!

I've never looked into it but does anyone know the difference between Veteran and Hero difficulty in CC2? Does it make the AI "fearless" or anything like that, or does it just like the number of requisition points for the player?

vobbnobb

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 7:29 pm Post subject: Re: Finished CC2 GC Reply with quote

IT goes from Recruit Veteran and Hero

Veteran is not LINE like in the matrix games it is harder, there is no fair LINE. Vet mode puts the game as historical disadvantage for allies. Hero mode I have noticed in cc2 actually suppresses your units from basically doing anything. 2 pschreks can take out 7 guys rushing a building etc stuff like that. More fun playing vet mode as Axis or recruit mode for either side.

Playing on custom puts me in Hero mode I have noticed. The game needed more patches that never came out to address many issues.

From manual

Recruit Your side is given every advantage in
strength, morale, and supplies. However, you can
still lose the game if you don’t plan carefully.

Veteran The sides are balanced as they were
historically.

Hero Your side is initially at a disadvantage in
strength and, in campaign mode, has far fewer
resources available.

Custom You define the difficulty level more
specifically, as described in the following section.

vobbnobb

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 9:11 pm Post subject: Re: Finished CC2 GC Reply with quote

Another fine example of vet mode.. Group of ss mortar team takes out my rifle squad of 6 while in decent cover, they have parachute cover. RIIIIIIIIIIGHT.

ss.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  572.62 KB
 Viewed:  693 Time(s)

ss.png

Stwa

Rep: 308.9

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 12:20 am Post subject: Re: Finished CC2 GC Reply with quote

TheImperatorKnight wrote (View Post):
But Stwa, you can't play the original campaign like that!

Right, but me thinks the original CC2 game and map scale is too pocito. So .... I use a small soldier mod with CC4/CC5 map scale.

I got started in 1999 with CC5, and missed out on reg CC2. But I eventually devised a CC2 campaign, with other stuff.  Sometimes I think the acronym "CC2" to be synonymous with "Market Garden".

Post new topicReply to topic printer-friendly view Close Combat Series Forum Index -> Close Combat 2: A Bridge Too Far
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Jump to: