Welcome to Close Combat Series
  Login or Register Home  ·  Downloads  ·  Forums  ·  Combat Camera  ·  Help  

Survey
Do incapacitations count as a soldier's kills?

Yes
No

Results
Polls

Votes 1180
Comments: 1

Shout Box!!

Only registered users can shout. Please login or create an account.

Main Menu
Articles & News  
    Help
    Player`s News
    Site News
    Multiplayer
    Terrain Challenge
    Boot Camp
Community  
    Forums
    Downloads
    Combat Camera
    MOOXE @ Youtube
    Statistics
Members  
    Private Messages
    Your Account
    Logout

Donations
Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
12/18/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
11/08/2021

Anonymous - $15.00
04/09/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
04/05/2021

Anonymous - $20.00
02/20/2021

Anonymous - $10.00
12/29/2020

Anonymous - $1.00
11/06/2020

ZAPPI4 - $20.00
10/10/2020

Find our site useful? Make a small donation to show your support.

Search for at
Close Combat Series Advanced Search

Author
Pzt_Crackwise

Rep: 64.9
votes: 1

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 12:33 am Post subject: Crocodile flamer kills tanks so easily. Why?? Reply with quote

Hi everyone! I have expressed my concern about this issue also on the Matrix forums but I would like to ask you for your opinion as well, since many of you are quite experts at such historical things.

In GtC, Crocodile tanks seem to destroy other tanks (e.g. Pz IV, Panthers) with their flamer so easily. It is generally one shot of flamer to the enemy tank, and boom the tank is knocked out! It really drives me nuts when I see such a thing happening.

How realistic is it, when a Croc flame thrower kills a tank? Is such a thing even possible, especially for such advanced tanks in the year of 1944?

(I remember reading somewhere that early tanks not being sealed properly, thus their engines being susceptible to catch fire when they were flamed etc. But we are talking about Pz IV and Panthers here in the year 1944!)

mooxe

Rep: 221.1
votes: 25

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 12:49 am Post subject: Re: Crocodile flamer kills tanks so easily. Why?? Reply with quote

I would say its very possible. The burning liquid would seep into every unsealed opening or view port. It would flow into the engine compartment.... just go everywhere. Fire on the outside of your tank would also severely affect the visibility.

Pzt_Crackwise

Rep: 64.9
votes: 1

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 1:25 am Post subject: Re: Crocodile flamer kills tanks so easily. Why?? Reply with quote

I know that early WW2 tanks could be disabled by molotov coctails etc. However, I thought tanks built at later stages (i.e. after the Battle of Stalingrad)  were built with these things in mind, and were sealed accordingly.

I would really be happy to see if you guys could provide some historical evidence. I am also interested in hearing Cathartes' opinion on this, and would like to know on what grounds he has implemented such data.

johnsilver

Rep: 61.3
votes: 4

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 2:50 am Post subject: Re: Crocodile flamer kills tanks so easily. Why?? Reply with quote

Without wanting to be a smart alek.. Air intakes and cooling for such large engines had to be quite big. Look at them on the rear upper hull of a Panther for example. Flame would seem to have sill been the weakness of most tanks late in the war.

Gasoline bombs probably moreso than napalm based flamers which was gel like.

papa_whisky

Rep: 42.2
votes: 4

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 3:11 am Post subject: Re: Crocodile flamer kills tanks so easily. Why?? Reply with quote

Playing the German side the crocodile is certainly my most feared enemy team. The six pounder on it is not shabby either. I would imagine being on the receiving end of that flamer would be your worst nightmare, panic the crew as they can see nothing but flame out of their viewing portals, feel the air being sucked up by the flames knowing as Mooxe said the flammable liquid is seeping into every opening. The engine compartment is certainly the most part so assuming the Croc gave the tank a good dose the tank is already effectively knocked out even if the engine at that point is still running its about to stop. Even one M1A1 was taken out in Iraq due to an engine compartment fire. I would have thought that although the death of the tank is not instantaneous the effectiveness of the crew and machine drops to near zero nearly instantaneously.

In GTC playing the German side the crocodile is certainly my most feared enemy team. The six pounder on it is not shabby either. The death of a tank hit by the flame seems like a certainty, its also leads to a near instantaneous explosion. Maybe its the instantaneous feed back that seems to make it less believable.

Stwa

Rep: 308.9
votes: 16

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 9:48 am Post subject: Re: Crocodile flamer kills tanks so easily. Why?? Reply with quote

I did a certain amount of research earlier this year concerning the Croc. One of the the findings was that to use its flame, the Croc had to advance into point blank range, where its armor could be pierced by every German AT weapon system.

The Brigade commanders, mentioned this to high command around July 1944, complaining that the death of Croc tanks at point plank range was a certainity, describing the situation as "one shot, one crew".

That being said, there are several videos floating around on you tube, that demonstrated to me that if a Croc was able to flame an enemy tank, the enemy tank would be toast.

vobbnobb

Rep: 73
votes: 6

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 6:51 pm Post subject: Re: Crocodile flamer kills tanks so easily. Why?? Reply with quote

flaming getting in hatches, down barrel setting of shells, explosives etc. Fumes from back of tanks igniting fire follows it to fuel tank .. boom.

My WW2 CC Series TimeLine
http://tinyurl.com/n2vrec5

Post new topicReply to topic printer-friendly view Close Combat Series Forum Index -> Close Combat Gateway to Caen

Jump to: