Welcome to Close Combat Series
  Login or Register Home  ·  Downloads  ·  Forums  ·  Combat Camera  ·  Help  

Survey
Do incapacitations count as a soldier's kills?

Yes
No

Results
Polls

Votes 1180
Comments: 1

Shout Box!!

Only registered users can shout. Please login or create an account.

Main Menu
Articles & News  
    Help
    Player`s News
    Site News
    Multiplayer
    Terrain Challenge
    Boot Camp
Community  
    Forums
    Downloads
    Combat Camera
    MOOXE @ Youtube
    Statistics
Members  
    Private Messages
    Your Account
    Logout

Donations
Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
12/18/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
11/08/2021

Anonymous - $15.00
04/09/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
04/05/2021

Anonymous - $20.00
02/20/2021

Anonymous - $10.00
12/29/2020

Anonymous - $1.00
11/06/2020

ZAPPI4 - $20.00
10/10/2020

Find our site useful? Make a small donation to show your support.

Search for at
Close Combat Series Advanced Search

Author
Uberdave

Rep: 26.9

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 4:49 am Post subject: Bloody Betio/Tarawa for TLD: my review, thoughts, etc... Reply with quote

What a pleasant surprise! I'll admit that I wasn't expecting much from this mod, especially as it is openly noted to be 'unfinished'. Although it could use some modern maps and a sound overhaul, the gameplay is intense and rewarding. Definitely bloody!!! I played the GC as the Americans and had a heck of a time getting the Japs off certain maps. Played on hardest settings, 15 min battles, FM on, etc. Armor was already limited by my chosen settings. I gave the Japs 2x 15cm mortars and 2-4 MG bunkers per battle to beef up their defense. WOW, was it strong for the AI! GC ended on Turn 4 of the 22nd with Total American Victory.

Also, it should be noted that I played the '00' GC (not sure what the major differences were). I used Small Soldiers '95' mod, and it went well with the scale of the maps.

Cohesion: Axis 27%, Allies 42% (fell below 50!!!)
Japanese Losses: 560 KIA, 513 WIA, 26 armor (includes bunkers), 0 vehicles, and 1 gun.
American Losses: 439 KIA, 405 WIA, 0 armor, 0 vehicles, and 0 guns.

(I think this is the closest I've come to losing almost as much men as the AI!)

-Good example of how a new mod concept can include classic elements, including using older maps.
-A 'small' mod that seems to do most things right. Almost has a CC3 Pacmod 'submod' feel to it.
-Jap Bunkers were coded like tanks and could be total game-changers if deployed properly! The AI did a relatively good job of placing them at vital locations. Took a while for me to figure out good strategies (using a bazooka to fire on it despite 'armor is too thick' message - dont let that fool you! USN Observer dropping shells on it). It should be noted that using flamers and demo crews didn't work well, as the infantry would break morale and refuse to attack it.
-(Medals) Best unit award goes to a Jap 92 Bunker crew that earned the second highest medal in the game. It eventually ended up achieving over 50 infantry kills vs my units (screen below).
-Nice UI conversion! Light green is the perfect color and fits this mod well. Very 'Pacific' in its feel.
-Jap 15cm mortars were effective on-board artillery support for the Jap AI. Very devastating and kept my guys from advancing too quickly. I love mods that give artillery the healthy respect it deserves!!!
-Background / ambient sound was fitting and effective.
-BG Markers on Strat Map were simple and effective.
-Some beach maps were tough to capture, put up a good challenge vs AI.
-The opening battle music sounds like the 'victory dance' drums the Japs played in the movie 'City of Life and Death'. NICE TOUCH!!!!  Ever think of doing the whole song as the mod music?  Wink
-VLs were nicely placed on maps in order to make a challenging fight.
-Most unit pics were excellent and gave good visual impressions.

Observations:
-Kirkomitai (suicide infantry) doesnt have smoke grenades. LOL, love it.  Twisted Evil
-Japanese unit names had unnecessarily long spellings (could drop the extra 'u' on most of them).
-Jap infantry never really becomes suicidal or attacks in a suicidal manner. This is a problem with the engine, not the mod.

Bugs/fixes:
-MAJOR- 6+ CTDs when scrolling across the Strat Map. Cursor didnt scan any particular area; game would just shut off if I scrolled around too long looking at my options.
-'Niminon' map sector on the far left has text from other versions of CC. Includes references to 'Germans'.
-A USMC MG team with the M1917 30 cal HMG is mislabeled as an LMG (light machine gun). I may be wrong, but I know the USMC used this older, water-cooled version of the MG extensively in the Pacific. It weighed over 100 pounds with all parts, minus ammo!
-'Red Beach I' is strangely depicted in mini-map version (its rotated at an odd angle).
-SNLF unit pic is wrong (99 Keikikanju should be LMG pictured; instead a Type 92 HMG is pictured).
-Naval barrage button not noticeable or bright when barrage is available. Could be brighter and more attention-grabbing.
-Jap and US morale bar next to clock at the bottom continue to have stock CC blue backgrounds.
-Medals still have blue, crusty background leftovers.
-Jap BGs not replenishing all slots after a battle (12/15 filled by SNLF).
-10.5cm Gun (Jap) will not appear in battle if placed in active FPool roster. I noticed in both the GC and single battles. In single battles, a 'heavy infantry' team appears on the map instead of the selected gun.

Gripes:
-Dashes in most weapon names not historical. M1A1, not M-1A1.
-SNLF flags have 'bleed through' pixelations.
-Overall, weapon sounds were generic CC3 Pacmod holdovers.
-Jap weapon pics look AWFUL. Some of them are older from Okinawa and beyond. Some are simply garbled graphics, smears of colors. Nambu is pointed in the wrong direction, suggesting the user will shoot themselves. Lol.
-Resting a BG still doesn't restore cohesion or fatigue (havent seen a mod that uses this correctly yet!).
-VLs on maps were often oddly placed (ex: an eastern exit would be on the west side of a map, and my BG would be entering on the opposite side that it entered from).
-Bazooka ROF too fast.

Questions:
- I noticed that with MC Observer teams, the commander could only target directly, but other members of the team could use the indirect fire option for arty support. Is this intended??
-Bamboo spear weapon attached to tank?  Is the tank crew poking at infantry through slits or something??

Suggestions:
-30cal HMG (mislabeled as an LMG) should probably be redesignated as an HMG team with more than 3 men, and more than 500 rounds of ammo. Also, the weight should be edited so that the crew moves slowly. OR, change the weapon coding and graphic to that of the M1919A4 or A6 LMG versions of the 30 cal.
-(Sound) Demo charge could be changed to throwing sound instead of explosion.
-New weapon pics!
-(Sound) MC Observer firing noise could be more distant sounding.
-Further customize the Jap BGs (Batallion #, attached units, etc)
-More maps!!!!!  Bigger strat map!
-95 Ha-Go tank....MG needs a new weapon pic, as it is a bow MG.
-Jap unit icons in zoom-out map are German grey...should be changed to red/white.
-Modernize the maps. I'd LOVE to see some lush jungle and beach maps to play on!
-Include the 'rank mod'
-Include medals on the soldier screen in order to see the level of prestige awarded.
-Feel free to use my Japanese data set and any graphics and sounds from my CC5 Khalkin-Gol mod. You may find some of it useful. :)

3/5 Stars. It will likely be a solid 4/5 when truly completed.  Cool

Check it out!

BUnker-HighestJapmedal.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  130.59 KB
 Viewed:  561 Time(s)

BUnker-HighestJapmedal.jpg

Last edited by Uberdave on Wed Nov 19, 2014 6:03 pm; edited 1 time in total

Uberdave

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 4:50 am Post subject: Re: Bloody Betio/Tarawa for TLD: my review, thoughts, etc... Reply with quote

end of GC

Betio-GCAllies-Finale.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  183.45 KB
 Viewed:  534 Time(s)

Betio-GCAllies-Finale.jpg

Antony_nz

Rep: 83.9
votes: 6

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 5:49 am Post subject: Re: Bloody Betio/Tarawa for TLD: my review, thoughts, etc... Reply with quote

Thanks for the reviews.
This mod looks mean. Makes me want to give it a try. I had my eye on this mod for awhile.

http://talesofclosecombat.blogspot.co.nz/
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website GameRanger Account

Tejszd

Rep: 133.6
votes: 19

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 6:01 am Post subject: Re: Bloody Betio/Tarawa for TLD: my review, thoughts, etc... Reply with quote

Have to agree, thanks for the reviews Uberdave!

Must admit I grabbed the mod but haven't played the GC and you made me want to give it a try....

pvt_Grunt

Rep: 98.5
votes: 5

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 8:28 am Post subject: Re: Bloody Betio/Tarawa for TLD: my review, thoughts, etc... Reply with quote

Uberdave - head of the CC marketing division. You should be hired by Matrix or Slitherine!

DAK_Legion

Rep: 86.3
votes: 20

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 3:28 pm Post subject: Re: Bloody Betio/Tarawa for TLD: my review, thoughts, etc... Reply with quote

Thanks for your review uberdave;)

This mod is FINISHED!!!

heia Safari!!

Uberdave

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 6:10 pm Post subject: Re: Bloody Betio/Tarawa for TLD: my review, thoughts, etc... Reply with quote

@ Anthony, Tesjzd - Thanks guys. Give it a spin and add what you think!

@ Grunt - I do need to post my reviews at Matrix website. But I know all the hardcore players and oldtimers like myself hang out here.   Cool

Uberdave

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 6:12 pm Post subject: Re: Bloody Betio/Tarawa for TLD: my review, thoughts, etc... Reply with quote

DAK, are you saying that you are no longer updating the mod???    Question

I only ask because it has so much potential to be greater. Besides the major CTD bug w/ the strat map, there are some other minor fixes that would make this mod outstanding. Let me know if/when you plan on updating, I may be able to help.

DAK_Legion

Rep: 86.3
votes: 20

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 7:05 pm Post subject: Re: Bloody Betio/Tarawa for TLD: my review, thoughts, etc... Reply with quote

All my mods are OPEN of all CC Players/Modders..If you want make and a UPDATE..OK comrade;)...Always the best of this great community;)

heia Safari!!

platoon_michael

Rep: 47.6
votes: 25

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 4:29 am Post subject: Re: Bloody Betio/Tarawa for TLD: my review, thoughts, etc... Reply with quote

Gotta admit I am enjoying reading your reviews.

They've been the best reading material on CCS in a long time.

I do not however understand how you just seem to plow through Mod after Mod or games.
Do you not work for a living?

Uberdave

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 8:49 pm Post subject: Re: Bloody Betio/Tarawa for TLD: my review, thoughts, etc... Reply with quote

Mike, I was diagnosed with cancer back in July. I've been off work since then, having surgeries, complications, and now Interferon treatment, which really sucks.

So yeah, I have loads of time to sit around and play CC. I'm not scheduled to go back to work until January. Working on Okinawa right now. Then Kharkov and Berlin. I may get to your Stock mod earlier than that.

Very Happy

Antony_nz

Rep: 83.9
votes: 6

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 9:30 pm Post subject: Re: Bloody Betio/Tarawa for TLD: my review, thoughts, etc... Reply with quote

I really look forward to your Okinawa write up.  Wink

http://talesofclosecombat.blogspot.co.nz/
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website GameRanger Account

Post new topicReply to topic printer-friendly view Close Combat Series Forum Index -> Close Combat The Longest Day

Jump to: