Welcome to Close Combat Series
  Login or Register Home  ·  Downloads  ·  Forums  ·  Combat Camera  ·  Help  

Survey
Do incapacitations count as a soldier's kills?

Yes
No

Results
Polls

Votes 1213
Comments: 1

Shout Box!!

Only registered users can shout. Please login or create an account.

Main Menu
Articles & News  
    Help
    Player`s News
    Site News
    Multiplayer
    Terrain Challenge
    Boot Camp
Community  
    Forums
    Downloads
    Combat Camera
    MOOXE @ Youtube
    Statistics
Members  
    Private Messages
    Your Account
    Logout

Donations
Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
12/18/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
11/08/2021

Anonymous - $15.00
04/09/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
04/05/2021

Anonymous - $20.00
02/20/2021

Anonymous - $10.00
12/29/2020

Anonymous - $1.00
11/06/2020

ZAPPI4 - $20.00
10/10/2020

Find our site useful? Make a small donation to show your support.

Search for at
Close Combat Series Advanced Search

Goto page Previous  1, 2
 Author
vobbnobb

Rep: 73
votes: 6

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 5:28 am Post subject: Re: Let's Play Close Combat A Bridge Too Far - Allied Camp V Reply with quote

How are you making out TIK>

My WW2 CC Series TimeLine
http://tinyurl.com/n2vrec5

Ivan_Zaitzev

Rep: 56.1
votes: 3

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 11:44 pm Post subject: Re: Let's Play Close Combat A Bridge Too Far - Allied Camp V Reply with quote

You can check his youtube to know how he is doing.
I'm doing my own lets play of a CC2 Mod, link in my signature, but it's on hold ATM because my computer is on repair.

The real Close Combat starts when you are out of ammo.
Have you hugged your AT Gun today?
My Youtube Channel
http://closecombat2.blogspot.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website GameRanger Account

Range10

Rep: 1.4

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 5:20 pm Post subject: Re: Let's Play Close Combat A Bridge Too Far - Allied Camp V Reply with quote

Thank you, TIK, for reminding us about how good an offering CC2 is. Really worth revisiting, with an AI that is not quite as formulaic as the most recent CC products.

Do you, or does anyone know of a mod where the basic CC2 game is not changed, but the graphics have been updated and some of the later features (orienting units, wrecked vehicles remain in place, etc.) incorporated?

vobbnobb

Rep: 73
votes: 6

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 6:20 pm Post subject: Re: Let's Play Close Combat A Bridge Too Far - Allied Camp V Reply with quote

I missed the picking up of enemy weapons but loved zoom ability and no time limit.

My WW2 CC Series TimeLine
http://tinyurl.com/n2vrec5

Ivan_Zaitzev

Rep: 56.1
votes: 3

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 7:22 pm Post subject: Re: Let's Play Close Combat A Bridge Too Far - Allied Camp V Reply with quote

Range10 wrote (View Post):

Do you, or does anyone know of a mod where the basic CC2 game is not changed, but the graphics have been updated and some of the later features (orienting units, wrecked vehicles remain in place, etc.) incorporated?

Sadly no. "orienting units, wrecked vehicles remain in place, etc." all those things are hardcoded and can't be changed.

The real Close Combat starts when you are out of ammo.
Have you hugged your AT Gun today?
My Youtube Channel
http://closecombat2.blogspot.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website GameRanger Account

HogansHeros

Rep: 28.5

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 12:16 am Post subject: Re: Let's Play Close Combat A Bridge Too Far - Allied Camp V Reply with quote

I've watched some of the videos but probably less then 1/4th. I've noticed that you don't take mortars. If you explained why I missed that video. Would you mind explaining it here or pointing me to the video with the explanation.

Walt

Rep: 1.4

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 1:42 am Post subject: Re: Let's Play Close Combat A Bridge Too Far - Allied Camp V Reply with quote

I have enjoyed the videos. Reminds me of all the fun I used to have playing grand campaigns vs Peiper or Socks back in the day. If I can
remember  where I put the cd, Im going to install cc2 and start playing it again.

TheImperatorKnight

Rep: 30.4
votes: 1

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 3:23 pm Post subject: Re: Let's Play Close Combat A Bridge Too Far - Allied Camp V Reply with quote

Hey everyone! Haven't checked back here in a little while. No spoilers but very close to the end of the campaign now

HogansHeros wrote (View Post):
I've watched some of the videos but probably less then 1/4th. I've noticed that you don't take mortars. If you explained why I missed that video. Would you mind explaining it here or pointing me to the video with the explanation.

Great question!!! This is completely a personal choice, and I used to take them when I first started playing because they'd kill a lot of guys (most of my casualties throughout this campaign have been due to the AI mortars) but as I've become more experienced with the Series and I've started forming new tactics and strategies, I no longer see them as as useful as they once where.

In the early game, when every requisition point is crucial, I can't justify buying a mortar. Sure they kill a few guys, but a British Para Mortar squad costs 11 points. I'd rather take another machine gun (9pts) and save or put the remaining 2 points towards something else. Plus, mortars usually sit at the back of the map playing a passive role in a battle, meaning they don't actually get involved in the battle and are unable to shape it's outcome. A machine gun team sits at the front and shapes the course of a battle, plus those extra points go towards another squad (e.g. a rifle squad) that can be used to attack the enemy.

Mortars are actually at their "best" in CC2 - they're over-accurate and overpowered, and fire instantly (which they don't do in the later games). But they just don't fit comfortably with the tactics and strategies I employ, especially early game.

I've come to realise that CC is not about killing. Casualties aren't important. What's important is suppression and morale. If you suppress the enemy, you're going to make them ineffective. Their morale is subsequently crushed when you assault. Mortars can help suppress, and help kill a few guys during the assault, but I'd rather take a machine gun and put those extra points into a rifle squad so I can suppress with the machine gun and assault with the rifle squad. To put it another way, a battlegroup made up of a machine gun and 6 rifle squads trumps a battlegroup made up of a mortar, a sniper and 5 rifle squads, in my humble opinion. This is especially true in the early game, and especially true when you're on the attack.

Later on, when you've got points and slots and plenty of machine guns, I'll take a mortar for extra flavour. But I can't justify it in the early game.

I have a Close Combat Youtube Channel

My Small Maps Mod for Close Combat: Gateway to Caen. Install guide and discussion

Last edited by TheImperatorKnight on Sun Nov 30, 2014 6:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website GameRanger Account

HogansHeros

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 5:10 pm Post subject: Re: Let's Play Close Combat A Bridge Too Far - Allied Camp V Reply with quote

That's a well thought out reason

TheImperatorKnight

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 5:58 pm Post subject: Re: Let's Play Close Combat A Bridge Too Far - Allied Camp V Reply with quote

That's a well thought out reason

I'm guessing you take a lot of mortars??

Just to clear up some other things, you may be wondering why I'm not a fan of Recon squads and prefer Ad Hoc rifle squads. You may also wonder why I'd rather take a couple of Ad Hoc rifle squads than take a normal full Rifle Squad.

I mentioned this in another topic, but just so everyone knows, I did some tests a while back (the videos were on my channel but they were poor quality so I made them private so only people with the link can see them) to see how well I could defend the Arnhem Bridge Map against a German 150pt BG which included tanks.

I started with 75 points and progressively reduced the number of points I had until I had a pitiful 20pts. What I learnt was that Ad Hoc Rifle squads (3pts) are better than Recon squads (5pts) and that quantity means more than quality, especially on the defensive. A full Rifle squad costs 8pts and is 5 rifle men. Two Ad Hoc squads is 6pts in total and has 6 men. Sure, they're not as good quality as the men in full Rifle squads, but the extra manpower more than makes up for it. That's an extra rifleman who can lob grenades and fire his rifle, an extra guy who can engage in hand-to-hand combat, and because there's two squads for less than the price of one, there's more maneuverability on the battlefield. I can fire with one, flank and assault with another - something you can't do with one rifle squad.

Recon squads are more expensive, and their sub-machine guns don't seem to be that effective for some reason. Their stats are better and you'd think that because they have sub-machine guns they'd be better suited to house-to-house fighting, but experience has proven that they're not as capable as the riflemen. Whether it's due to range, or suppression or bad luck, I can't say. But there's little difference between Recon and Ad Hoc Rifle, so don't waste the extra 2 points and just go with the Ad Hoc Rifle squads instead.

Here's the link to that video if you want to see it http://youtu.be/LU-N4P3yQqk (length 5:20)

My Small Maps Mod for Close Combat: Gateway to Caen. Install guide and discussion
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website GameRanger Account

HogansHeros

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 7:23 pm Post subject: Re: Let's Play Close Combat A Bridge Too Far - Allied Camp V Reply with quote

TheImperatorKnight wrote (View Post):

It's been too long since I've played CC2, but I did usually take an early mortar, sometimes two. However, I think your arguments against it may change my decision on that.

In CC5/LSA I tend to take two or three, especially when defending and/or if I lack tanks. Partly because saving points to buy more units isn't really a factor; even in LSA I've only ever had to worry about running out of points when I got into heavy tank vs tank combat. Partly because, with 15 minute timer, there really is only enough time to kill enemies and then plunge straight ahead until I find more enemy to kill--LSA's too big maps exacerbate that problem--and mortars don't have that much time to sit around pointlessly after using their ammo/smoke. Lately I've been using longer timers (played around with 1 hour, but think it is too long so am trying 30 min now) and actually have time to maneuver around so have been cutting back on the number of mortars I take and focusing more on capturing ground with infantry instead of killing with mortars.

TheImperatorKnight

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 8:22 pm Post subject: Re: Let's Play Close Combat A Bridge Too Far - Allied Camp V Reply with quote

TheImperatorKnight wrote (View Post):

It's been too long since I've played CC2, but I did usually take an early mortar, sometimes two. However, I think your arguments against it may change my decision on that.

In CC5/LSA I tend to take two or three, especially when defending and/or if I lack tanks. Partly because saving points to buy more units isn't really a factor; even in LSA I've only ever had to worry about running out of points when I got into heavy tank vs tank combat. Partly because, with 15 minute timer, there really is only enough time to kill enemies and then plunge straight ahead until I find more enemy to kill--LSA's too big maps exacerbate that problem--and mortars don't have that much time to sit around pointlessly after using their ammo/smoke. Lately I've been using longer timers (played around with 1 hour, but think it is too long so am trying 30 min now) and actually have time to maneuver around so have been cutting back on the number of mortars I take and focusing more on capturing ground with infantry instead of killing with mortars.

Try it without mortars and see how you get on. They're not "bad", but they're just not my cup of tea. And the last sentence is exactly my point, with more 'active' squads you can capture ground, flank or attack etc which you can't do with mortars.

I know that 20 or 30 minutes is what most people play on in the later games. Mainly this is for multiplayer, but it's good to prevent player fatigue in single player too.

Post new topicReply to topic printer-friendly view Close Combat Series Forum Index -> Close Combat 2: A Bridge Too Far
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Jump to: