Welcome to Close Combat Series
  Login or Register Home  ·  Downloads  ·  Forums  ·  Combat Camera  ·  Help  

Survey
Do incapacitations count as a soldier's kills?

Yes
No

Results
Polls

Votes 1180
Comments: 1

Shout Box!!

Only registered users can shout. Please login or create an account.

Main Menu
Articles & News  
    Help
    Player`s News
    Site News
    Multiplayer
    Terrain Challenge
    Boot Camp
Community  
    Forums
    Downloads
    Combat Camera
    MOOXE @ Youtube
    Statistics
Members  
    Private Messages
    Your Account
    Logout

Donations
Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
12/18/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
11/08/2021

Anonymous - $15.00
04/09/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
04/05/2021

Anonymous - $20.00
02/20/2021

Anonymous - $10.00
12/29/2020

Anonymous - $1.00
11/06/2020

ZAPPI4 - $20.00
10/10/2020

Find our site useful? Make a small donation to show your support.

Search for at
Close Combat Series Advanced Search

Author
Manoi

Rep: 89.5
votes: 7

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 10:15 am Post subject: crowdfunding for a mod or a new CC project Reply with quote

Just to know to what extent people should participate to a crowdfunding for a completed mod or a new CC project based on the battle of Stalingrad? It is not the purpose to make money but the number of new completed projects or mods for the last CC games (LSA, Pitf, Gic) is very low. I'm personaly involved in Bloody first but I'm incapable now to say if it will be a success or a disaster (I can only say that the maps are good! Wink...
If the new engine proves to be what we were waiting for long, the idea is to propose to Matrix to make a new Stalingrad project. If not, to work with what we have (Gic?) and to try to improve it. The money that we can get with a crowdfunding should serve to get a programmer and to free time to make maps.

Tejszd

Rep: 133.6
votes: 19

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 6:03 am Post subject: Re: crowdfunding for a mod or a new CC project Reply with quote

The number of mods is low for the latest Matrix releases due to;
- low sales thus a low number of mod makers?
- annual releases making mod makers decide to wait for the next game?
- mod makers working for Matrix so they stop mod making (and leave CC upset)
- other?

Before committing any funds I would need much more detail on what the funds will be used for....
- How much does Matrix get as they own the source code?
- What game would be the foundation?
- What features are you planning to add that require a developer?
- Will things be trickled out (thus lowering risk for investors)?

Pzt_Crackwise

Rep: 64.9
votes: 1

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 10:31 am Post subject: Re: crowdfunding for a mod or a new CC project Reply with quote

I think supporting mods on a donation based approach is a good idea. However, I believe the inherent bugs and problems (GtC multiplayer bugs, e.g. truce and airstrike crashes) should be fixed first of all by the Matrix people, who are responsible for that. After all, I have already paid for a game assuming it to be a complete game, without major bugs. But sadly, this is not the case.

Additionally: Is it even possible to tweak the source code as a modder in this game? How are you planning to add new features then? What makes you think Matrix would release or allow the code (or some parts of it) to be tweaked by modders? Or you mean the usual modding approach: maps + data + map coding ?

platoon_michael

Rep: 47.6
votes: 25

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 1:21 pm Post subject: Re: crowdfunding for a mod or a new CC project Reply with quote

My first thought right or wrong is just a Huge Red Flag on this.
I could see me trickling out dollars only to end up with nothing.
And how/who exactly could you hire for such a task?
Are they reputable?
Qualified?
Expensive?

I don't see any of the re-releases except maybe WAR to be suitable to expand.
Not because I love that game but because it doesn't have any of the UI issues that GWTC has.
It's just unfortunate it doesn't have the great graphic effects GWTC has.
I never realized how much I used that Intel in-game until it was gone and I don't have any faith in Matrix being able to fix it.

TBF I cant say until I either see it or buy it and play it.
But with it not having a Strategic Map initially doesn't appeal to me.

I'd have to go with my gut here and say seeing is believing.
Produce the game with your own money or by a group of peoples money
Display it.
Sell it.
And maybe I would buy it.
As harsh as that may sound its the safest approach for me.

GL in your quest.
I do wish you all the best in your goal and in all honesty hope you succeed.

Tejszd

Rep: 133.6
votes: 19

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 4:18 pm Post subject: Re: crowdfunding for a mod or a new CC project Reply with quote

GtC may already be the model being proposed, except we are now being asked to give money up front, as we do not know if Matrix approached Cathartes and Manoi or if they approached them. GtC is mainly a mod; different data, graphics and maps but unlike a mod because they were working with Matrix it has limited code code changes/new features.

Who is driving this change?

- A mod maker who wants to see their idea or mod on a newer CC (with possible missing/new features) and doesn't know if they can do it without help (paid resources)?

- Matrix who may not want to accept the risk or just doesn't have the $ to put into CC?

Last edited by Tejszd on Fri Nov 28, 2014 2:34 am; edited 1 time in total

johnsilver

Rep: 61.3
votes: 4

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 4:25 pm Post subject: Re: crowdfunding for a mod or a new CC project Reply with quote

It would be nice to see a Stalingrad mod based on any of the post WAR release, though not sure an entirely new release would be the way to go.

Why not just ask for donations toward making the required new maps and possible stratmap for those time consuming chores instead if the mod is for something like GTC Manoi? It would be a safer title and the most popular ATM, along with the most "toys" and improvements of all the titles.

Pete

Rep: 118.1
votes: 12

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 8:16 pm Post subject: Re: crowdfunding for a mod or a new CC project Reply with quote

A brave suggestion Manoi but ultimately not feasible.
In my opinion a crowdfunding project for the Close Combat series should only be considered when the goal is to create a new and better 'next generation Close Combat' . Then, being a community based project, it would have to be a free giveaway after completion and be made open source. That would not be fair to those who donated.
To financially invest in this milked to death cashcow is not an option for the community. Large investments should be made by Matrix, not its customers. I think it would also be wrong to even suggest to Matrix to have a game commercially released after it's development was partly crowdfunded . (Now, this could be an option with a tiny, reliable developer that is looking to move into the market ) .
So, there are several ways forward: 1) to community develop a next gen CC. 2) To sit back and wait for Matrix again (and again). 3) To invest our time in modding the platforms we have. 4) Team up with / create a game developing company and release a next gen CC.
My choice is 3) .
The lack of mods for the new platforms is also related to the already huge number of mods out there. Seems pointless to mod a campaign again. Especially Stalingrad.

Dulce Bellum Inexpertis
(War is delightful to those who have no experience of it.)
Our facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/buckandpete/
Our website: https://themodsection.net/

Manoi

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 8:46 pm Post subject: Re: crowdfunding for a mod or a new CC project Reply with quote

Thanks for your answers. Maybe was my post premature? I just look for a possibility to achieve a wish and I'm not satisfied with the current situation. Simply modding Gtc or even TBF is not an option for me, as you have said they are actually too many flaws or restrictions to spend more than one year of work for something that will be played by 10 players and that will not bring anything new. I guess I'm comdemned (and you too) to wait what TBF will be... Crying or Very sad

platoon_michael

Rep: 47.6
votes: 25

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 11:37 pm Post subject: Re: crowdfunding for a mod or a new CC project Reply with quote

I've seen the graphic work you and Conrad have displayed for your new Stalingrad project on the forums at Matrix.

It's been VERY impressive!
Compound that with the work you guys did for GWTC I see no need to ask for money for a new game.
I know your heart wants something new but if you guys could fix the UI issues I posted I see no reason why GWTC couldn't be the base for your new Mod.

Please back up your work!

Stwa

Rep: 308.9
votes: 16

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 7:11 am Post subject: Re: crowdfunding for a mod or a new CC project Reply with quote

Hey guys, what's shakin?

So, I have been really just waiting for the new 3d game.

Me thinks, I am done for now. Maybe I will get back in someday.

The basic problem I have, is I have accumulated so much material from the CC5-CCMT/WAR era, that I can't get around to everything as it is, never mind purchasing newer titles.

It was a great run, almost 15 years.  Exclamation

Manoi

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 7:39 am Post subject: Re: crowdfunding for a mod or a new CC project Reply with quote

platoon_michael wrote (View Post):
I've seen the graphic work you and Conrad have displayed for your new Stalingrad project on the forums at Matrix.

It's been VERY impressive!

which graphic? Have you a link? I don't remember I've posted on the Matrix forum. Maybe it's Conrad's art.

johnsilver

Rep: 61.3
votes: 4

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 10:49 am Post subject: Re: crowdfunding for a mod or a new CC project Reply with quote

Quote:
which graphic? Have you a link? I don't remember I've posted on the Matrix forum. Maybe it's Conrad's art.

That's what I was thinking he meant when originally posted also.

Have a feeling many long time CC gamers have been hoping for some kind of conversion of your original CC5 to a later release title, or an entirely new Stalingrad based on new maps with one of the last 2 releases, kind of like Conrad had hinted at. The possibilities for both seem to allow much more than earlier titles.

Understand however if the interest is not there Manoi and thank you for all the previous work you have done.

Post new topicReply to topic printer-friendly view Close Combat Series Forum Index -> CC5 Stalingrad

Jump to: