Welcome to Close Combat Series
  Login or Register Home  ·  Downloads  ·  Forums  ·  Combat Camera  ·  Help  

Survey
Do incapacitations count as a soldier's kills?

Yes
No

Results
Polls

Votes 1213
Comments: 1

Shout Box!!

Only registered users can shout. Please login or create an account.

Main Menu
Articles & News  
    Help
    Player`s News
    Site News
    Multiplayer
    Terrain Challenge
    Boot Camp
Community  
    Forums
    Downloads
    Combat Camera
    MOOXE @ Youtube
    Statistics
Members  
    Private Messages
    Your Account
    Logout

Donations
Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
12/18/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
11/08/2021

Anonymous - $15.00
04/09/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
04/05/2021

Anonymous - $20.00
02/20/2021

Anonymous - $10.00
12/29/2020

Anonymous - $1.00
11/06/2020

ZAPPI4 - $20.00
10/10/2020

Find our site useful? Make a small donation to show your support.

Search for at
Close Combat Series Advanced Search

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Author
Bel8910

Rep: 80.7
votes: 5

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2014 5:19 pm Post subject: A Step Back in Time or The Guns of August Reply with quote

With a lot of time off at Christmas, I decided to play around with GTC again.  This time I making a Western Front (WW I) mod....no direction yet, just working graphics and teams right now.  This is NOT a serious mod, just something I am toying with.  As always, input is welcome.  Again, not taking this as serious as my other mods as evidence by a Mk IV (Male) tank at Verdun (below).

DoktorPaj

Rep: 28.4

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2014 12:30 am Post subject: Re: A Step Back in Time or The Guns of August Reply with quote

Looks amazing! I wonder, will there be many buildings with roofs? If not, it would be very playable with the infantry coded as armored cars to keep them going upright, instead of hitting the deck instantly when going over the top, giving it a more "WW1-ish" feeling, with mass charges and so on.

DAK_Legion

Rep: 86.3
votes: 20

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2014 3:56 pm Post subject: Re: A Step Back in Time or The Guns of August Reply with quote

As ALWAYS.....Impressive work comrade;)

heia Safari!!

Bel8910

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 4:09 pm Post subject: Re: A Step Back in Time or The Guns of August Reply with quote

Some screen shots....

Pzt_Crackwise

Rep: 64.9
votes: 1

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 4:45 pm Post subject: Re: A Step Back in Time or The Guns of August Reply with quote

Looks nice, but could you not make a continuous trench line on that stock GtC map?

I also think it would be cool (gameplay wise) if you could somehow make the protectivity/cover value etc. of the trenches a lot higher than those in the stock game, so that it makes sense for the players to deploy in the trenches.

Because normally in CC series,  the best deployment usually is the one where the enemy least suspects it. I mean I even move out of the automatically created trenches as soon as possible in order to avoid giving away the location of my soldiers. With the increase in protectivity of trenches, there would be an actual incentive to deploy in them.

Of course, in single player the AI doesn't use indirect fire on possible enemy locations. So this is not an issue Smile

Bel8910

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 1:46 am Post subject: Re: A Step Back in Time or The Guns of August Reply with quote

Pzt_Crackwise....that was just a rough try.  My plan is to make some continuous trench works in the future.  And I'm sure I can dive into the elements table and do as you suggest.  

Here is a bit of trivia in my game:  What was special about the 92nd Division?

The 92nd Division was made of predominately black soldiers and very junior/green black officers.  Because of the racial discord of the time, although assigned and deployed with the American Expeditionary Force, no one wanted to serve with them.  Not their fellow Americans, not even the British.  So, their regiments were usually assigned to the French with French officers.  Units of the 92nd, including the "Harlem Hell Fighters", distinguished themselves during the war.  As such, I have incorporated the 366th Infantry Regiment.  Note the blue on the helmets.  The units of the 92nd were not as well provisioned as their white counterparts so while they deployed with the khaki uniform (or some cases UNION uniforms from the Civil War!) they were no issued the standard doughboy helmet and instead wore the same helmet as the French.  Additionally, they had lower quality French weapons.

Bel8910

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 1:47 am Post subject: Re: A Step Back in Time or The Guns of August Reply with quote

here is the screen shot

Bel8910

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 4:58 am Post subject: Re: A Step Back in Time or The Guns of August Reply with quote

Pzt_Crackwise....here is a more continuous trench line including barbed wire and sandbags.  Played around the trench levels too.  The surrounding areas is 100m (hill) and in the trenches it varies from 99m to 96m.

break

does any know how to read/change the UniformColor text?  I want to put blue helmets on the 92nd Infantry Division and I do not recall how to change this.  Thanks!

Pzt_Crackwise

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 11:51 am Post subject: Re: A Step Back in Time or The Guns of August Reply with quote

Looks pretty badass now! Good job : )

Bel8910

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 10:41 pm Post subject: Re: A Step Back in Time or The Guns of August Reply with quote

USMC Rank insignia and German side Trenches.

AAR: Played German side against Allied AI, meeting engagement.  German started out in their trenches; USMC started on far north side of the map.  After waiting one minute, I had my teams move across no man's land.  Just as my first two teams arrived in the Allied trenches, the Marines showed up and pinned them down, center of the map, taking the Eastern Trenches.  We gained the hospital and set up a LMG there.  Meanwhile, the remainder of my teams manned the trenches, including the command post.  I sent one PZGren team to the southern most victory location and set up.  While USMC attacked from the east, they almost flanked me in the west, not once but twice!  Hand to hand combat ensued, but we held the CP.  By this time I had brought arty and mortar fire to bear and their main thrust in the east, but I lost the hospital and 2/3 of a team.  I evacuated them and sent an MG08 to guard the tree line north of the hospital to keep the Marines pinned.  The AI attempted another flanking movement, this time in the south, but my other MG08 team was there to meet it.  At about 1:36 the AI hit me with mortars and I lost two teams.  It was a tough battle and I only won because I held the two command posts.

Bel8910

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 1:23 am Post subject: Re: A Step Back in Time or The Guns of August Reply with quote

US Army Ranks, WWI era

Bel8910

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 1:53 am Post subject: Re: A Step Back in Time or The Guns of August Reply with quote

US Navy WWI

ke_mechial

Rep: 89.1
votes: 2

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 3:18 pm Post subject: Re: A Step Back in Time or The Guns of August Reply with quote

Nice work, Bel. The GUI screen is nothing but art work, with all war posters.

While going back in time beyond wwii to wwi, have you ever thought of making Battle of Rorke's Drift mod portrayed in the movie "Zulu"? I would really love to see  british empire soldiers in red uniforms...Smile

Hexagon

Rep: 1.3

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 1:30 pm Post subject: Re: A Step Back in Time or The Guns of August Reply with quote

Good mod, i allways like WWI for CC3 specially for the big squads hehehe.

I allways find that CC needs more pure infantry mods like Battle of Ebro or the never finished Gallipoli mod  Crying or Very sad

Bel8910

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 9:57 am Post subject: Re: A Step Back in Time or The Guns of August Reply with quote

Gallipoli.....

Map from COI: Great War mod.

No matter what I do, I can not get beyond the beach berm, very much like the actual landing.  If I stay on the CLYDE RIVER, that's where the AI puts it's artillery.  If I get most of the teams on the beach, he drops ordinance there.  And if I go hell bent and rush my men up and over the berm, they get cut down by MG fire!  Even with my artillery and mortar fire, the Ottoman infantry is so well entrenched I do cause much damage.

Pzt_Crackwise

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 11:54 am Post subject: Re: A Step Back in Time or The Guns of August Reply with quote

By the way Bel, if you ever plan to make a Gallipoli mod I can aid you with translations/research/sounds etc. since I am Turkish.

Back in time, we had worked with Andima on his CC5 Gallipoli mod. But then he vanished, and I could not reach him and someone else could not take over his work. He had already completed plenty of maps back then, if I remember correctly. Such a pity that it could not be finished. : (

DoktorPaj

Rep: 28.4

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 11:56 am Post subject: Re: A Step Back in Time or The Guns of August Reply with quote

Looks awesome as always, Bel!

ke_mechial

Rep: 89.1
votes: 2

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 12:39 pm Post subject: Re: A Step Back in Time or The Guns of August Reply with quote

Original names for the Ottoman ranks if you are interested:
private - nefer
corporal - onbasi
sergeant - cavus
second lieutenant - Mulazim-i sani
first lieutenant - Mulazim-i evvel

captain - yuzbasi
major - binbasi
lt. col - kaymakam
col. - miralay

Bel8910

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 7:11 pm Post subject: Re: A Step Back in Time or The Guns of August Reply with quote

Pzt_Crackwise...the interesting things you learn about people!  I appreciate the offer of help.  Question: I did a bit of research on the Ottoman ranks...there seems to be a "black hole" of information, some missing, some contradictory.  Did I get the ranks at least close? I also looked for any legacy material on the Gallipoli mod, but never found anything.  I am still not sure how in depth I am going with this mod or if it's even going to be a specific part of the Great War.  I'm just mostly toying with it in my free time because I enjoy modding!  

ke_mechial, thanks for the rank structure.  This is one of things I don't like about GTC: when Matrix did CCMT, they incorporated all the positions/ranks into the game (ie grenadier, SAW Gunner, Bodyguard, Unit Commander, etc).  I was able to mod those positions so that I could use the proper terms, like the Ottoman ranks. But, alas, they went back to the basic "cmdr, ldr, aldr, gunner," etc.  But good info nonetheless.

Doktor_Paj, Hexagon (and anyone I may have missed) thanks for the compliments!

Bel8910

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 7:30 pm Post subject: Re: A Step Back in Time or The Guns of August Reply with quote

With Steve "The Blood" McClure's help, I figured out the uniform colors.  Here is the 92nd (Colored) Infantry Division led by French Officers.

Post new topicReply to topic printer-friendly view Close Combat Series Forum Index -> Close Combat Gateway to Caen
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Jump to: