Welcome to Close Combat Series
  Login or Register Home  ·  Downloads  ·  Forums  ·  Combat Camera  ·  Help  

Survey
Do incapacitations count as a soldier's kills?

Yes
No

Results
Polls

Votes 1179
Comments: 1

Shout Box!!

Only registered users can shout. Please login or create an account.

Main Menu
Articles & News  
    Help
    Player`s News
    Site News
    Multiplayer
    Terrain Challenge
    Boot Camp
Community  
    Forums
    Downloads
    Combat Camera
    MOOXE @ Youtube
    Statistics
Members  
    Private Messages
    Your Account
    Logout

Donations
Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
12/18/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
11/08/2021

Anonymous - $15.00
04/09/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
04/05/2021

Anonymous - $20.00
02/20/2021

Anonymous - $10.00
12/29/2020

Anonymous - $1.00
11/06/2020

ZAPPI4 - $20.00
10/10/2020

Find our site useful? Make a small donation to show your support.

Search for at
Close Combat Series Advanced Search

Goto page Previous  1, 2
 Author
Ivan_Zaitzev

Rep: 56.1
votes: 3

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 1:04 am Post subject: Re: Firefight - real time WW2 simulation for iPads Reply with quote

Are these historical maps or just gameplay friendly maps?

The real Close Combat starts when you are out of ammo.
Have you hugged your AT Gun today?
My Youtube Channel
http://closecombat2.blogspot.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website GameRanger Account

sod98

Rep: 11.6
votes: 5

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 5:33 am Post subject: Re: Firefight - real time WW2 simulation for iPads Reply with quote

Cheers Sean- job well done. Plays really well.

SeanOConnor

Rep: 31.6

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 9:50 am Post subject: Re: Firefight - real time WW2 simulation for iPads Reply with quote

Ivan_Zaitzev wrote (View Post):
Are these historical maps or just gameplay friendly maps?

I'm using Google Maps to find interesting/game play friendly maps and basing them on that. The scale of the game is 8 pixels = 1 metre so even my big 4096x4096 map images are only 512m x 512m. This probably does make all the tank v tank combat quite close in compared to historical actions, so I need to make the maps quite "cluttered" or tanks would see each other right from the start.

SeanOConnor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 9:52 am Post subject: Re: Firefight - real time WW2 simulation for iPads Reply with quote

I've also just released 2 new maps (Bléneau railway station and Remilly town). They're both in-app purchases but you can give them a test for free using the built-in tutorials using:

Firefight on the AppStore

Dima

Rep: 87.3
votes: 16

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 3:52 pm Post subject: Re: Firefight - real time WW2 simulation for iPads Reply with quote

SeanOConnor wrote (View Post):
I've also just released 2 new maps (Bléneau railway station and Remilly town). They're both in-app purchases but you can give them a test for free using the built-in tutorials using:
Firefight on the AppStore

Hi Sean,

thanks for new maps and pathfinding is good now.
still there are alot of problems with TOEs:

Germany:

May-June 1940
1) 10men squad instead of 11men, 8 K98k, 1 leMG (Mg34 or Mg26(t)), 1 Pistol. MP40 was quite rare that time.
2) SdKfz 251/1 crew was 2men.
June 1944
1) 9men squad instead of 11men, 1 MP40, 1 leMG, 7 K98k (1 K98k with Grenade Launcher - 12 rounds should be ok).
2) Or if you simulate static units in Normandy then 10men, 1 MP (french or old german), 2 leMG, 2 Pistols, 6 K98k (1 K98k with Grenade Launcher - 12 rounds should be ok). MGs - french or czech.
August 1944
1) There was no SS-Grenadiers there were SS-PzGrenadiere, if carried by SdKfz 251 then 10men with 1 MP40, 1 G41, 2 leMG42, 2 Pistols, 2 K98k (1 K98k with Grenade Launcher - 12 rounds should be ok). If carried by truck - 12men, 1 MP40, 1 G41, 2 leMG42, 2 pistols, 6 K98k (1 K98k with Grenade Launcher - 12 rounds should be ok, maybe 1 sniper K98k).
2) StuG IIIG, crew - 4men, no MG34, gun - 7,5cm StuK40 L/48.
3) Panzer IVJ was quite rare in Normandy, would be better using PzIVH, add 4 90cm smoke dischargers.
4) SdKfz 251/1 crew was 2men.
5) Infantry - 1 MP40, 1 leMG, 7 K98k (1 K98k with Grenade Launcher - 12 rounds should be ok).

UK:
May 1940
1)8men with 7 LE MkIII and 1 Vickers-Berthier or BREN. No SMG!
July 1944
1) Sherman VC (Firefly - post war nickname) - 4men crew.
2) 10men Section with 1 Sten MkII, 1 BREN and 8 SMLE No4. No Thompson for the brits (besides commandos) in ETO.
3) 2" mortar crew was 2 with Sten for loader.

US:
July-September 1944:
1) M4A4 Sherman was not used by the US. Should be M4 (most common) or M4A3 in July.
2) M3A2 HT was not used by the US. Should be M3A1.
3) If that's armored infantry then 12men with 1 M3 SMG and 11 M1 rifles (2 grenade launchers), 1 Bazooka M1 with 6 rounds, if normal infantry then 12men with 1 M1 carbine, 1 BAR and 10 M1 rifles (1-2 grenade launchers).
February 1945:
1) M4A4 Sherman was not used by the US. Should be M4A3 and M4A3(76) in February.
2) Infantry 12men with 1 M1A1 SMG, 2 BARs and 2 M1 carbines (BAR assistants), 7 M1 rifles (1-2 grenade launchers).

Please add smoke grenades to infantry sections, 1-2 per section is enough.
Please add smoke mortars for US shermans and VC (2", 147m range) and smoke dischargers 4" for Sherman V.
Please add smoke bombs to mortars.
Would be good to have paired 3"/81mm/8cm mortars as that's how they usually worked.

Guess that's enough work for you for now Smile.

SeanOConnor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 1:21 pm Post subject: Re: Firefight - real time WW2 simulation for iPads Reply with quote

Wow, thanks Dima! I'll get all of your fixes in the game asap!

If you'd like to check over all of my data files please send me an email at sean [at] windowsgames.co [dot] uk and I can email them to you. Each squad is a text file and is laid out in a sort of XML type way. I'm planning on writing a Windows app to help me create the tank ones as they're getting quite complicated now and it's easy to make a mistake when typing in the text rather than seeing it all visually.

I could credit you in the About box, and send you free copies of my Windows and iOS games in return?

papa_whisky

Rep: 42.2
votes: 4

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 5:40 am Post subject: Re: Firefight - real time WW2 simulation for iPads Reply with quote

Looks really good well done and thanks for sharing. If I had an iPad I certainly would buy it.

SeanOConnor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 4:47 pm Post subject: Re: Firefight - real time WW2 simulation for iPads Reply with quote

Version 2.0 is out now on the AppStore and it can run on iPhones and iPod Touches as well as iPads now. I've also added some new features like showing hill contours when you zoom out, and there are now 6 maps available with number 7 in the pipeline.

FF_iPhone.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  417.17 KB
 Viewed:  406 Time(s)

FF_iPhone.png

Pzt_Crackwise

Rep: 64.9
votes: 1

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 10:29 pm Post subject: Re: Firefight - real time WW2 simulation for iPhones and iPa Reply with quote

Hi Sean, I have had the chance to play your game a bit and it feels pretty good! I must say that it definitely has stuff that future CC games can take as an example - vehicle inertia and engine noise is some of those features which come to my mind, which really improve the vehicles in my opinion.

There are a few issues which make the game a bit chaotic for me though, such as:

1) I have a hard time trying to understand where the enemy is, who is shooting who etc.
2) No Line of Sight (LoS) indicator. No idea who has LoS on what.
3) Shots bouncing off like crazy from edges of buildings. Which is somehow over done.
4) Shots (or tracers) are too thick. Would prefer them a bit thinner with nicer graphics. Also explosion graphics could be better.

Finally, I don't know if you have the time and the means for that, but if you also implemented a psychological engine (a la Close Combat, supression, fatigue etc.) and made the game for PC, with solid AI and a stable and fun multiplayer (improving the weak parts of CC), I would definitely buy it! It would be great to have a new game with CC features + the stuff community asked for years from the developers (which mostly fell on deaf ears).

I hope you can advance the game and make a new generation CC game! I am not very optimistic about Matrix games in that regard, so people like you are probably our only hope.

Ivan_Zaitzev

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 7:18 pm Post subject: Re: Firefight - real time WW2 simulation for iPhones and iPa Reply with quote

I will definitely buy this when it is on Adnroid!

My Youtube Channel
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website GameRanger Account

Bel8910

Rep: 80.7
votes: 5

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 8:37 pm Post subject: Re: Firefight - real time WW2 simulation for iPhones and iPa Reply with quote

Wow! can't wait to see this in Android!

Schmal_Turm

Rep: 60.4
votes: 1

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 6:02 pm Post subject: Re: Firefight - real time WW2 simulation for iPhones and iPa Reply with quote

When I first got this for my iPad it was working great. Then the sound on the battles quit even though they are still going.

Has anyone else have any trouble like this?

"No plan ever survives first contact with the enemy." Moltke

SeanOConnor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 9:28 pm Post subject: Re: Firefight - real time WW2 simulation for iPhones and iPa Reply with quote

I've just released version 3.0 which now has local network play. One player can be the attacker while the other defends. If this is popular I'll look into having teams of network players attack and defend. If you give it a go please let me know what you think!

mooxe

Rep: 221.1
votes: 25

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 10:35 pm Post subject: Re: Firefight - real time WW2 simulation for iPhones and iPa Reply with quote

Thanks for update Sean, always welcome!

Ivan_Zaitzev

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 11:01 pm Post subject: Re: Firefight - real time WW2 simulation for iPhones and iPa Reply with quote

Still waiting for the Android version Sean!

My Youtube Channel

mooxe

Rep: 221.1
votes: 25

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 12:26 am Post subject: Re: Firefight - real time WW2 simulation for iPhones and iPa Reply with quote

If it comes to Android then I can play it via Bluestacks on my computer.

Ivan_Zaitzev

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 7:50 pm Post subject: Re: Firefight - real time WW2 simulation for iPhones and iPa Reply with quote

This game was released a couple of months ago on Steam, went under my radar at the time.
http://store.steampowered.com/app/500190/

My Youtube Channel

Ivan_Zaitzev

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 7:57 pm Post subject: Re: Firefight - real time WW2 simulation for iPhones and iPa Reply with quote

From the author:
"The new Steam Windows version is a direct port of the iOS version from Objective C to C++ and uses SDL for the graphics and sound. The only thing it doesn't have is the networking in the iOS version but all the code is there and I just need to wire it up so that should be available in an update soon. I'll also add a feature to choose your own units/nationality/date. The only reason that's missing from the iOS version is that I thought iPad screens would be too small to have all the user interface lists and buttons etc.., that would be needed to select things. I'll add a mission debrief at the end of the game too. I'd also like to add more options for controlling your squads. On a small iPad screen there just wasn't much space for that and there's no such thing as a right click.

I'll also be looking into getting more hand drawn maps created and the Eastern front added too. After drawing the map background image the trees, buildings, objects, sheep etc... and the scenarios are created on a Windows app I wrote which I'll tidy up and release for free so people can create their own maps. The tank editor for modifying and creating tank info is also a Windows app which I'll release."

My Youtube Channel

Post new topicReply to topic printer-friendly view Close Combat Series Forum Index -> The Mess
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Jump to: