Welcome to Close Combat Series
  Login or Register Home  ·  Downloads  ·  Forums  ·  Combat Camera  ·  Help  

Survey
Do incapacitations count as a soldier's kills?

Yes
No

Results
Polls

Votes 1180
Comments: 1

Shout Box!!

Only registered users can shout. Please login or create an account.

Main Menu
Articles & News  
    Help
    Player`s News
    Site News
    Multiplayer
    Terrain Challenge
    Boot Camp
Community  
    Forums
    Downloads
    Combat Camera
    MOOXE @ Youtube
    Statistics
Members  
    Private Messages
    Your Account
    Logout

Donations
Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
12/18/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
11/08/2021

Anonymous - $15.00
04/09/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
04/05/2021

Anonymous - $20.00
02/20/2021

Anonymous - $10.00
12/29/2020

Anonymous - $1.00
11/06/2020

ZAPPI4 - $20.00
10/10/2020

Find our site useful? Make a small donation to show your support.

Search for at
Close Combat Series Advanced Search

Author
lifer

Rep: 3.3
votes: 2

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 2:53 am Post subject: historical mod concepts Reply with quote

I've been considering CCMT as a possible vehicle for historical mods. While this version is criticised for its lack of a strategic campaign or operations, it remains a fantastic tool for generating single battles with relative easy mod-ability and a vast array of units and possible forcepools. I've previously seen the large maps as either too big or full of space that is never used and I think this is especially true with the original maps (the ones from CCM).

The concept I'm considering starts with a standard CCMT-scale large map (see attached) - in this case LZ X-ray (1965 Pleiku operation) -  and then breaks it down into seperate battles. Those who know a bit about the history of this batte will recall it as largely a matter of holding the perimeter and was split between the different companies holding each corner of the zone. Adapting this to the attached map would see a separate quadrant being used for each separate battle, with the other (unplayed) area shaded out and coded as impassable. Each battle could then be broken down into separate timeframes with locked forcepools depicting the various stages of fatigue, casualties, reinforcements, etc. As such, I figure about 8-12 different battles could be created that could be played in turn. A multiplayer version featuring the whole map could also be produced for 5v5 play, assuming there's actually 10 CCMT players in existence (not so sure about that).

But I also think the concept can be taken to other historical engagements and here I'm thinking across the entire spectrum of the modern era (i.e. WWII to now). Off the top of my head I can suggest Inchon, Dien Bien Phu, Hue City, Grozny, Falklands or any of the Arab-Israeli conflicts.

Coding this map remains a bit of a problem. I've never coded a CCMT map before and my first attempt with 5CC ended in the program freezing up and having to be shut down. I have to assume it's a RAM issue. Any tips in this respect are much appreciated.

xray.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  409.62 KB
 Viewed:  11127 Time(s)

xray.jpg

lifer

Rep: 3.3

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 3:02 am Post subject: Re: historical mod concepts Reply with quote

As an example of the usefulness and adaptability of CCMT, here's a screentshot of a new aircraft I added for the mod (namely a UH1 Huey). This took me about two hours from scratch to having it work in the game (and yes, this includes rotating rotor blades). I still haven't cracked changing aircraft graphics for COI despite hours, days and weeks of trying.

huey.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  391.13 KB
 Viewed:  11123 Time(s)

huey.jpg

Tejszd

Rep: 133.6
votes: 19

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 3:04 am Post subject: Re: historical mod concepts Reply with quote

Nice looking map!

For 5CC with large maps there is no substitute for ram. Windows will use a swap file if it gets low on ram which slow performance.... Best is to add more ram....

Having said that here is something more concrete;
- clean up your hard disk deleting things to allow the swap file to grow larger
- defrag hard drive to allow the swap file to grow larger
- stop running everything else when in 5CC and working on large maps

DAK_Legion

Rep: 86.3
votes: 20

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 2:22 pm Post subject: Re: historical mod concepts Reply with quote

Hey Lifer!

I can see Vietcong work in your PC!....For coding CCMT Maps I prefer 3C For CCMT...you can download...

http://closecombat.matrixgames.com/CCMT/ccmt_mapedit.html

good luck !

heia Safari!!

acebars

Rep: -6.7

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:34 am Post subject: Re: historical mod concepts Reply with quote

I would be up for a CCMT multi bout on the condition someone fixes or tells me how to fix the battle ended low morale nonsense I can't seem to fix.

Trouble is I have to find my copy now since I played it last.

papa_whisky

Rep: 42.2
votes: 4

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 12:21 am Post subject: Re: historical mod concepts Reply with quote

Look like an awesome map

Bel8910

Rep: 80.7
votes: 5

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 7:59 pm Post subject: Re: historical mod concepts Reply with quote

that looks like an awesome map!  I like your huey, too. You can use my GTC graphics in CCMT...that's actually where I started all of this.  I would love a copy of your X-ray map and your hueys and anything else you are willing to share.  I really like your CC3 maps for Vietnam!  If I can help, let me know.

DAK_Legion

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 8:04 pm Post subject: Re: historical mod concepts Reply with quote

How new maps do you have finished lifer??

impressive work;)

heia Safari!!

Tejszd

Rep: 133.6
votes: 19

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 10:05 pm Post subject: Re: historical mod concepts Reply with quote

Given the reduction in the number of mod makers and increased effort it takes to make maps for the later CC games (WAR, TLD, LSA, PitF and GtC) due to the number and size of maps your idea for historical single battles just might be the way to go.

It's to bad that CCMT does not support /D switch for having multiple mods installed and quickly switching between them....

Stwa

Rep: 308.9
votes: 16

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 8:51 pm Post subject: Re: historical mod concepts Reply with quote

Arrow

Last edited by Stwa on Thu Aug 06, 2015 12:05 am; edited 1 time in total

Stwa

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 9:19 pm Post subject: Re: historical mod concepts Reply with quote

Arrow

Last edited by Stwa on Thu Aug 06, 2015 12:06 am; edited 1 time in total

Stwa

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 10:50 pm Post subject: Re: historical mod concepts Reply with quote

Arrow

Stwa

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 11:41 pm Post subject: Re: historical mod concepts Reply with quote

Arrow

DAK_Legion

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 9:37 am Post subject: Re: historical mod concepts Reply with quote

Interesting concept stwa!

I.always think in desert storm for a CCMT Mod.

heia Safari!!

Stwa

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 2:19 am Post subject: Re: historical mod concepts Reply with quote

Arrow

Last edited by Stwa on Thu Aug 06, 2015 12:07 am; edited 1 time in total

Stwa

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 3:11 am Post subject: Re: historical mod concepts Reply with quote

Arrow

Last edited by Stwa on Thu Aug 06, 2015 12:07 am; edited 1 time in total

Stwa

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 3:44 am Post subject: Re: historical mod concepts Reply with quote

Arrow

Post new topicReply to topic printer-friendly view Close Combat Series Forum Index -> Close Combat Modern Tactics

Jump to: