Welcome to Close Combat Series
  Login or Register Home  ·  Downloads  ·  Forums  ·  Combat Camera  ·  Help  

Survey
Do incapacitations count as a soldier's kills?

Yes
No

Results
Polls

Votes 1214
Comments: 1

Shout Box!!

Only registered users can shout. Please login or create an account.

Main Menu
Articles & News  
    Help
    Player`s News
    Site News
    Multiplayer
    Terrain Challenge
    Boot Camp
Community  
    Forums
    Downloads
    Combat Camera
    MOOXE @ Youtube
    Statistics
Members  
    Private Messages
    Your Account
    Logout

Donations
Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
12/18/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
11/08/2021

Anonymous - $15.00
04/09/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
04/05/2021

Anonymous - $20.00
02/20/2021

Anonymous - $10.00
12/29/2020

Anonymous - $1.00
11/06/2020

ZAPPI4 - $20.00
10/10/2020

Find our site useful? Make a small donation to show your support.

Search for at
Close Combat Series Advanced Search

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Author
Stwa

Rep: 308.9
votes: 16

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 6:04 am Post subject: Re: GTC modding limits, a lot, probably the worse CC for mod Reply with quote

Nomada_Firefox wrote (View Post):

What version did you use? I used a 2010 and 5CC could not open the files without edit before with a hexadecimal editor.

Rolling Eyes

HOOOOOOOOOOOOOONK  Exclamation

Stwa

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 7:29 am Post subject: Re: GTC modding limits, a lot, probably the worse CC for mod Reply with quote

Drizzt wrote (View Post):
Ok, so GtC need an element translation (also towards TLD? Great). I thought something more "unusual" (unusual elements, like the ones used in some mods, that need to be set to work properly with 5CC). -Drizzt

I thought this myself and only 4 posts into the thread I asked Firefox:

Can you share the source of this determination that you have made. Because, if true, it will affect modding in a major way. -Stwa

Firefox's answer was uninspiring. And so, if issues with GTC Element.txt file have been eliminated, Firefox mentions GTC Stratmap.txt. But over at Matrix, Steve McClaire seems to think that it is possible to add maps up to 64 with GTC.

If you want to add a map to the strategic map, you must also make the following changes to stratmap.txt:

1) Add an entry in the 'Map UI strings' section.
2) Add coordinates for it 'Map Center' section.
3) Add coordinates in the 'Map Area' section.
4) Add new connections to/from this new map in the Connection section.
5) Add coordinates for the map arrows that will appear on the strat screen when BGs use these connections for movement.
6) Add coordinates for the 'Front Line Trace' section for each connection.
7) Add coordinates in the SEMAP section for where this map appears in the scenario editor.
8) Add coordinates in the Debrief section for where this map appears on Debrief Screen when you're in campaign view.
9) Add coordinates in the Map View section for where this map appears in when you use 'View Map' to show the strategic map position.

You then have to create (or reuse) images for the ScrnGadg.gdg file for the new map area, arrows, front line trace, scenario editor image, debrief screen images, etc. -Steve

So, it seems maybe Firefox is just Chicken Little (Henny Penny).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henny_Penny

Stwa

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 10:25 am Post subject: Re: GTC modding limits, a lot, probably the worse CC for mod Reply with quote

Just because I have the elements file covered, and assuming that I will not encounter any issue adding maps beyond 30 with a GTC mod, doesn't mean I am out of the woods yet.

If the developers came up with a new map format I could be really screwed. Of course, there are still assumptions concerning the other data txt files, like teams, soldiers, weapons, vehicles, etc.

But to test the map formats, I did come up with an idea for that, even though I do not have GTC. But before I explain what I have done, I would like to caution Firefox:

Firefox: DO NOT try this at home  Exclamation  

OK, what I have done is taken a map from TIKs small map mod for GTC, and I used 5CC to downscale it from 8 pixels per meter to 5 pixels per meter (the scale CCMT uses).

Now most of TIKs maps are VERY small, even smaller than CCMT will allow, so I had to add "out of bounds borders" on this example. But this should tell us if the GTC map file formats are the same as legacy CC maps.

Last edited by Stwa on Fri Feb 13, 2015 2:06 pm; edited 1 time in total

Stwa

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 10:56 am Post subject: Re: GTC modding limits, a lot, probably the worse CC for mod Reply with quote

Here are some important details about this conversion.

5CC was able to downscale the BGM and RFM file with a single mouse click.

GTC BGM background images come with a tree shadow layer merged onto the background image.

5CC was able to show the tree layer I use for CCMT over-layed on the BGM background image.

Element coding seemed to imply that GTC encapsulates CCMT element codes, since even code 323 (Out of Bounds) seems to be working.

The maps in TIK's mod use numbers in their name, instead of place names.

Where I expected a tree to be encoded, I got element code 91 = leaves and brush. Therefore, I had to manually code element 94 = Big Tree.

I was able to export the new background image with tree layer included. This allowed me to scale (using MS Photo Manager) an OVM and MMM picture.

I was able to import the new OVM and MMM picture (image) files into the map OVM and MMM files.

I was able to use 5CC to generate a new LOS file. It took just a few seconds.

I was able to save the map using the map name GTC Map 27 into CCMTs MAP folder.

I was able to create a battle using the map with CCMT. And I was able to view the map as others in CCMT.

I was able to fight this battle, which seemed to run perfectly using CCMT.

All these items lead me to believe that GTC map formats are the same as legacy CC maps, with the caveat that GTC maps use the scale of 8 pixels per meter.

Drizzt

Rep: 121
votes: 9

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 1:45 pm Post subject: Re: GTC modding limits, a lot, probably the worse CC for mod Reply with quote

To Nomada: I always modding CC in an old PC that has office 2007. I’ don’t Know if the different version is the problem, but I want to tell to you this thing: some years ago, the graphic program I used to save and convert 24-bit to 16-bit tga has stopped to work suddenly (about this specific option) without any reason: it was an original program, not expired, no association file problems etc. I had finally opted for a freeware alternative that I used only for this kind of conversion. It’s just an example to say that sometimes “strange software” related issues they can happens.

Speaking in general, in this thread I have discovered the fixed elements positions issue (that I don’t knew) to let the exe to work properly (many thanks to Michael to have reported Steve words).
SDK has almost all the fixed elements in a wrong position and I have found a good quantity (not a “kill-game” quantity, but anyway not few) of “can’t reach target” messages from the tanks into the game: in CC5, with identical SDK  elements and clicking in the same map positions, it doesn’t happens. It will be necessary a deep work for all .txt maps (using a peculiar translation table and a reworked elements txt file). I suspect that the exe uses fixed elements for game situations connected to the path-finding and the IA (movement issues).
More important, for the Stalingrad mod it’s the same thing: here no problem about tanks movement, probably because fortunately in this mod only 3 elements must be reworked about their position (3 it’s like 6: after have moved the 3 involved, it’s necessary to relocate the 3 earlier). I think that a quick “change elements” work map by map in 5CC will be sufficient after have created the new elements file for TLD Stalingrad.
Kharkov mod doesn’t need this kind of work, thanks to a “pre re-translation elements work” done by me at the time on the maps to make them fully compatible with TLD (about the maps position of both CC5 and CC3 elements towards org TLD elements file*).
About GtC, I have checked (very quickly..) GtC elements and, towards TLD, I have found very few different elements. In this moment I don’t remember if part of them are located in “surplus” TLD elements towards CC5 elements or not,  anyway it’s probable  that also between CC5 and GtC elements there are these small differences. Of course, to keep in mind fixed elements issue it’s absolutely necessary also modding GtC.

Drizzt

*Edit: Kharkov maps were cc3 custom maps translated for CC5, but they had been also reworked. A re-translation element work has permitted to take advange of all cc3 elements (they are more than CC5 elements) without to lose my corrections.

Last edited by Drizzt on Fri Feb 13, 2015 2:46 pm; edited 1 time in total

Stwa

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 1:57 pm Post subject: Re: GTC modding limits, a lot, probably the worse CC for mod Reply with quote

Quote:
Speaking in general, in this thread I have discovered the fixed elements positions issue (that I don’t knew) to let the exe to work properly (many thanks to Michael to have reported Steve words).
SDK has almost all the fixed elements in a wrong position and I have found a good quantity (not a “kill-game” quantity, but anyway not few) of “can’t reach target” messages from the tanks into the game: in CC5, with identical SDK  elements and clicking in the same map positions, it doesn’t happens. It will be necessary a deep work for all .txt maps (using a peculiar translation table and a reworked elements txt file). I suspect that the exe uses fixed elements for game situations connected to the path-finding and the IA (movement issues).
More important, for the Stalingrad mod it’s the same thing: here no problem about tanks movement, probably because fortunately in this mod only 3 elements must be reworked about their position (3 it’s like 6: after have moved the 3 involved, it’s necessary to relocate the 3 earlier). I think that a quick “change elements” work map by map in 5CC will be sufficient after have created the new elements file for TLD Stalingrad.
Kharkov mod doesn’t need this kind of work, thanks to a “pre re-translation elements work” done by me at the time on the maps to make them fully compatible with TLD (about the maps position of both CC5 and CC3 elements towards org TLD elements file).
About GtC, I have checked (very quickly..) GtC elements and, towards TLD, I have found very few different elements. In this moment I don’t remember if part of them are located in “surplus” TLD elements towards CC5 elements or not,  anyway it’s probable  that also between CC5 and GtC elements there are these small differences. Of course, to keep in mind fixed elements issue it’s absolutely necessary also modding GtC.

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/honk

Nomada_Firefox

Rep: 32.9

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 3:53 pm Post subject: Re: GTC modding limits, a lot, probably the worse CC for mod Reply with quote

Drizzt wrote (View Post):
To Nomada: I always modding CC in an old PC that has office 2007. I’ don’t Know if the different version is the problem, but I want to tell to you this thing: some years ago, the graphic program I used to save and convert 24-bit to 16-bit tga has stopped to work suddenly (about this specific option) without any reason: it was an original program, not expired, no association file problems etc. I had finally opted for a freeware alternative that I used only for this kind of conversion. It’s just an example to say that sometimes “strange software” related issues they can happens.

Probably it is the problem for me, the 2010 version is different. I do not see other option. All my software is updated.

Stwa

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2015 1:32 am Post subject: Re: GTC modding limits, a lot, probably the worse CC for mod Reply with quote

Rolling Eyes

Drizzt

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 10:58 am Post subject: Re: GTC modding limits, a lot, probably the worse CC for mod Reply with quote

I have finished the work about fixed elements issue putting them in right position (Stalingrad and SDK). 5CC it’s a really powerful and flexible tool: after have created the new 5CC elements files and peculiar translation tables it has been a really quick work.
I want to report here something to keep in mind modding GtC (and all other re-releases): “can’t reach target” issue about tanks (I have mentioned it in my previous post) it wasn’t due to elements that were in the wrong position. The problem was the vehicular size “tolerance” crossing the bridges: the re-releases have minor “tolerance” towards CC5 (and SDK mod has really many bridges). Enlarging a bit the bridges, medium and heavy tanks can reach every point of a map like in CC5 (it’s something already done by me for Kharkov mod, but on my mod bridges are very few so I had forgotten this issue).
In conclusion, creating a new mod for the re-releases or porting a mod on them, it’s important to check the vehicle/tanks bridge crossing (considering also the fact that, in some maps, bridges are the only way to reach another part of the map).

Drizzt

Stwa

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 11:20 am Post subject: Re: GTC modding limits, a lot, probably the worse CC for mod Reply with quote

But if you don't modify GTC elements.txt file, then the elements are in the correct order. Nest pa, oui?

Of the few bridge issues I have encountered, the bridge usually just needed to be made wider.

But in some CC3 cases I have seen bridges coded as "wooden bridge" to perhaps keep some (or all?) tanks from crossing.

Last edited by Stwa on Mon Feb 16, 2015 12:23 pm; edited 1 time in total

DAK_Legion

Rep: 86.3
votes: 20

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 11:30 am Post subject: Re: GTC modding limits, a lot, probably the worse CC for mod Reply with quote

And are you interested in finished CC5 Kursk by Waldganger to port for TLD Drizzt????

As player and modder WALDGANGER NO EXIST...only give.the credits for your hard work

heia Safari!!

Drizzt

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 1:56 pm Post subject: Re: GTC modding limits, a lot, probably the worse CC for mod Reply with quote

Hi Dak Legion,

I have checked the files in past: considering this is not a finished mod, in my opinion “porting it” it means also to take advantage of all re-releases features (64 maps, 64 Bgs etc.).
I don’t’ remember about stratmap work (it has be done? Only in part?). For sure we have Data (hoping it’s a finished work even if for CC5) and tanks/vehicle Graphic (an excellent work).
I had checked all aspects, and CC3 kursk style custom maps at our disposal are probably something like 20-24 (of course they must be translated) considering also the CC3 original ones.
As you see, it’s a really long task even finding a map maker: during Kharkov mod work I have created/reworked all map files except Los file: in theory I can learn, but the point is that new maps should be created with a minimal cartographic-military history research for every map and it means other time to spend.
In another words, I prefer don’t begin something that I’m not sure to finish (and a “basic” porting work it’s useless in my opinion).

To Stwa: wood bridges can be crossed by tanks (or anyway in TLD for sure).
About elements: As I have said, TLD/WAR and GtC elements are not identical, even if they are really very similar (only something like 8 in 358 are different: in theory, a small translation it’s necessary porting a mod, for example, from TLD to GtC, even if it can be that the few different elements were not used in TLD maps and so the maps are already ready for GtC. It’s a really favourable calculation of probability).
Anyway, in this specific case, I spoke about peculiar elements created by modders that needed a partial secondary translate work caused by fixed elements issue (that I don’t knew). The main translation work it has been a classic translation work between different versions (CC3/5 to TLD for kharkov mod; no main traslation work done for Stalingrad and SDK maps); this secondary work it has been done into the same version (TLD was, TLD is) to put fixed elements in the right position: to do it, I have reworked elements file for TLD and created the 5CC version of it, then I have created the new translation table (in a “careful” way: to don’t obtain to rewrite elements before have moved them). Finally, to use data bulk replacement option on every map in 5CC it has been a very quick work.

Drizzt

Stwa

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 3:36 pm Post subject: Re: GTC modding limits, a lot, probably the worse CC for mod Reply with quote

For what it is worth, I am not sure if the heavier tanks, like Tigers can use wooden bridges in CCMT. But the more important point is element rules can change from one CC title to another. So, that is one reason why I stuck with CCMT, and just converted maps to CCMT element codes. And as one can see above, I was able to use GTC maps and elements in CCMT. Over time I have done maps from CC2 - WAR, and a few from BO.

Well, if TLD maps need a translation table for just a few elements, then so be it. But, I do not think the ordering of elements within the translation table matter at all. The Bulk Translator is just converting (translating) index values into the Map.txt file. And I would not modify the GTC Elements.txt file at all, becuase it would not be necessary.

This topic has been good in the sense that I imported a GTC map to CCMT. Me thinks I did it before when TIK first did his small map mod. In so doing, I now realize I will not be purchasing PitF or GTC. And I had decided against TLD and LSA long ago. So that leaves BF. And since no one will be able to dynamically add objects using its 3D engine, me thinks I am at the end of the road with additional CC material. Whats really funny is Destineer has a nice 3D engine that does allow an application to dynamically add models during program execution.

And yes, 5CC makes short work of even resizing maps, and bulk translating element codes. And notice even reading in map files goes very quickly with v 1.22. You just cant thank Mafi enough for this tool.

CloseCombatRob

Rep: 6.3
votes: 1

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 8:29 pm Post subject: Re: GTC modding limits, a lot, probably the worse CC for mod Reply with quote

Would love to see a CC2 mod for Gateway to Caen if it's possible, I had the idea to do that some time back, but i'm new to modding so i really couldn't figure out how to do it, i managed to replace one of the gateway to caen maps with the background of a cc2 map, had to slightly stretch it so it worked properly, but thats the most i could figure out, im a noob though without any modding experience for close combat Razz

Nomada_Firefox

Rep: 32.9

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 5:10 pm Post subject: Re: GTC modding limits, a lot, probably the worse CC for mod Reply with quote

CloseCombatRob wrote (View Post):
Would love to see a CC2 mod for Gateway to Caen if it's possible, I had the idea to do that some time back, but i'm new to modding so i really couldn't figure out how to do it, i managed to replace one of the gateway to caen maps with the background of a cc2 map, had to slightly stretch it so it worked properly, but thats the most i could figure out, im a noob though without any modding experience for close combat Razz

Perhaps you see a CC2 at GTC but I will use the units from my 1946 mod and I will make with two versions, one with the CC2 maps and my CCWAR ABTF strategic map and other with the strategic map from my CC2 2 turns mod. If you do not know it is a mod which it reduces the number of maps from LSA to a similar number from CC2 and it adds a smaller strategic map.

By the moment, I have made the 75% from this, just I need convert the LSA maps and few more.

johnsilver

Rep: 61.3
votes: 4

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 3:49 am Post subject: Re: GTC modding limits, a lot, probably the worse CC for mod Reply with quote

DAK_Legion wrote (View Post):
And are you interested in finished CC5 Kursk by Waldganger to port for TLD Drizzt????

As player and modder WALDGANGER NO EXIST...only give.the credits for your hard work

Hi Legion.

I looked at the files on this also after you reminded me sent them to the CC3 upload at CSO site.

Since many of the internal files are completed.. Would it be possible to use some of the available.. Say CC3 even maps out there to complete this long needed mod? for CC5?

Werf

Stwa

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 9:04 am Post subject: Re: GTC modding limits, a lot, probably the worse CC for mod Reply with quote

johnsilver wrote (View Post):
Would it be possible to use some of the available.. Say CC3 even maps out there to complete this long needed mod? for CC5? -Werf

Yes, surely you can. But I would caution, I did a lot of this myself when adding map content to CCMT's WW2 mod. Eventually, I reached over 250 maps, many from various mods available here, from CCS. And in so doing, the same map could be resident within my collection with a different place name or even categorized name.

Eventually, I removed as much of this duplication as possible, never mind which mod the duplicate map originated from.

DAK_Legion

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 3:38 pm Post subject: Re: GTC modding limits, a lot, probably the worse CC for mod Reply with quote

Hi!!

I think that YES...it's mod would be finished..only is nrccesary select 44 maps CCIII

My mod is a port of CCIII kursk camp by scenarios.single by.sabot and fusion of databaae and graphics of CC5 Kursk
I only need 7 maps for.complete this short mod type CC2CCMT.

Maybe you can help me Stwa with your Stock Maps for CCMT

Please can i help me?
I can give the list of maps if.you want;)

heia Safari!!

Stwa

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 3:46 pm Post subject: Re: GTC modding limits, a lot, probably the worse CC for mod Reply with quote

DAK_Legion wrote (View Post):
Hi!!

I think that YES...it's mod would be finished..only is nrccesary select 44 maps CCIII

My mod is a port of CCIII kursk camp by scenarios.single by.sabot and fusion of databaae and graphics of CC5 Kursk
I only need 7 maps for.complete this short mod type CC2CCMT.

Maybe you can help me Stwa with your Stock Maps for CCMT

Please can i help me?
I can give the list of maps if.you want;)

ok.

Last edited by Stwa on Thu Feb 19, 2015 6:51 am; edited 1 time in total

DAK_Legion

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 4:48 pm Post subject: Re: GTC modding limits, a lot, probably the worse CC for mod Reply with quote

Check PM Stwa;)

heia Safari!!

Post new topicReply to topic printer-friendly view Close Combat Series Forum Index -> Close Combat Gateway to Caen
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Jump to: