Welcome to Close Combat Series
  Login or Register Home  ·  Downloads  ·  Forums  ·  Combat Camera  ·  Help  

Survey
Do incapacitations count as a soldier's kills?

Yes
No

Results
Polls

Votes 1180
Comments: 1

Shout Box!!

Only registered users can shout. Please login or create an account.

Main Menu
Articles & News  
    Help
    Player`s News
    Site News
    Multiplayer
    Terrain Challenge
    Boot Camp
Community  
    Forums
    Downloads
    Combat Camera
    MOOXE @ Youtube
    Statistics
Members  
    Private Messages
    Your Account
    Logout

Donations
Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
12/18/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
11/08/2021

Anonymous - $15.00
04/09/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
04/05/2021

Anonymous - $20.00
02/20/2021

Anonymous - $10.00
12/29/2020

Anonymous - $1.00
11/06/2020

ZAPPI4 - $20.00
10/10/2020

Find our site useful? Make a small donation to show your support.

Search for at
Close Combat Series Advanced Search

Goto page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Author
Schmal_Turm

Rep: 60.4
votes: 1

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 1:56 pm Post subject: Re: Was 10 years enough? Reply with quote

I was wondering if there is any more evidence that can entered for the defense of the site, and what are the charges the prosecution brings for the taking it down after the last year.

In addition, how has the traffic been to this site and how is it figured into the final equation?

"No plan ever survives first contact with the enemy." Moltke

Pete

Rep: 118.1
votes: 12

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 6:32 pm Post subject: Re: Was 10 years enough? Reply with quote

At least you should make it possible for someone to take over the site.

Dulce Bellum Inexpertis
(War is delightful to those who have no experience of it.)
Our facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/buckandpete/
Our website: https://themodsection.net/

Rep: 60.6

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 8:38 pm Post subject: Re: Was 10 years enough? Reply with quote

Hi
I also was absent from CC for a while... I do not prefer a close down of this site but if this happens i will understand.

Also, some time ago TIK started a new site (http://www.closecombatfanatics.com/), so I was thinking 'Why creating a seperated site'? Wouldn't it be better to combine forces so the community would not totally dissapear?

We are the pilgrims, master. We shall go
 always a little further, it may be
beyond that last blue mountain barred with snow,
 across that angry or that glimmering sea.

mooxe

Rep: 221.1
votes: 25

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 9:56 pm Post subject: Re: Was 10 years enough? Reply with quote

Activity on the site has been in a slow decline for years. CCS gets about 240-290 unique visits per day. Going below 300 was the indicator to assess the sites value again. I do not measure bandwidth anymore but it has most likely dropped steadily as well.

I doubt any of our regulars have the interest or knowledge in becoming the administrator for this site. Its a dedicated server running CentOS, Apache, PostFix, proFTPD, mySQL as well as the actual website and a number of other underlying services that a computer runs. They do not require constant maintenance but they do require know how in what to do in case of software or hardware failure..... and $29 a month.

I was waiting for some information on The Bloody First but nothing has come out. If information comes out soon it will be put in consideration.

Stwa

Rep: 308.9
votes: 16

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 10:32 pm Post subject: Re: Was 10 years enough? Reply with quote

I have noticed that double posting before on this site. Also, I have seen it at other sites as well, especially those sites that have been around for a while.

You do realize it will just get worse if it is not treated ASAP. It begins with double posts, but later triple posts, and even quadruple posts!

OK ... so you were able to fix it. Good boy!  Cool

ke_mechial

Rep: 89.1
votes: 2

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 7:45 am Post subject: Re: Was 10 years enough? Reply with quote

First of all,I hope the site does not close down.
If it should, it would be great if somebody could take it over.
It is also the issue that this site is not solely the communication channel of the community, it is an invaluable reference repository with all the previous forum conversations, tools and tutorials, when you have problems playing or want to try modding. It would be an unfortunate loss. In the case, nobody takes over, at least, would it not be possible to parse everything and upload to GitHub?

Pzt_Kanov

Rep: 14.2
votes: 9

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 5:08 pm Post subject: Re: Was 10 years enough? Reply with quote

ke_mechial wrote (View Post):
First of all,I hope the site does not close down.
If it should, it would be great if somebody could take it over.
It is also the issue that this site is not solely the communication channel of the community, it is an invaluable reference repository with all the previous forum conversations, tools and tutorials, when you have problems playing or want to try modding. It would be an unfortunate loss. In the case, nobody takes over, at least, would it not be possible to parse everything and upload to GitHub?

This place is a library, I agree with ke_mechial

ScnelleMeyer

Rep: 190.3
votes: 18

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 5:37 pm Post subject: Re: Was 10 years enough? Reply with quote

What Kanov said.

mooxe

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 8:20 pm Post subject: Re: Was 10 years enough? Reply with quote

I would definetly keep the site up if someone could keep the front page updated with Player's News and also keeping the downloads section up to date. There has been many new mods out since the last Player's News I put up.

Stwa

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 2:45 am Post subject: Re: Was 10 years enough? Reply with quote

mooxe wrote (View Post):
I would definetly keep the site up if someone could keep the front page updated with Player's News and also keeping the downloads section up to date. There has been many new mods out since the last Player's News I put up.

Well, that sounds like a really fine offer. So, one would think someone will jump on that ASAP, and this topic can be put to rest.

johnsilver

Rep: 61.3
votes: 4

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 2:08 pm Post subject: Re: Was 10 years enough? Reply with quote

mooxe wrote (View Post):

Hey Mooxe,

Are you going to add all the obscure mods, addons, data files etc.. We are putting up at CSO? Is that what you are going to do? Not volunteering for the job. Still not finished going over a TON of files myself we have collected and seeing what is new, or old/missing/lost before adding.

What am thinking, is there has to be more files out there lost (LSA War mod for example) that people have and we ALL need to work together to SAVE these files.

Werf

Edit:

What should add that having these precious files spread across multiple sites is an excellent way to save them also if you decide to add as many as can find.

mooxe

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 3:01 pm Post subject: Re: Was 10 years enough? Reply with quote

johnsilver wrote (View Post):
mooxe wrote (View Post):

Hey Mooxe,

Are you going to add all the obscure mods, addons, data files etc.. We are putting up at CSO? Is that what you are going to do? Not volunteering for the job. Still not finished going over a TON of files myself we have collected and seeing what is new, or old/missing/lost before adding.

What am thinking, is there has to be more files out there lost (LSA War mod for example) that people have and we ALL need to work together to SAVE these files.

Werf

Edit:

What should add that having these precious files spread across multiple sites is an excellent way to save them also if you decide to add as many as can find.

Old unfinished mods that are not in plugin form and have no readme file are just a pain and not in demand by anyone. There also a lot of campaign plugins out there for CC3 that use maps from other campaigns, also not worth adding. There is a ton of stuff submitted out there that is not useful and will not be added here "by me." I have always tried to keep the downloads section very streamlined and easy to use. What I want here are proper plugins/autoinstall mods with readme files.

First priority here would be helping the guys make auto installers for the rerelease mods and announcing/adding them to CCS. Secondary priority is to continue converting manual install mods of the old versions into plugin form.

The more I talk about it the more I want to pick up the torch again. But all I have to do is read  the Steam or Matrix forums on why Steve insists we're not allowed to fill up empty slots due to historical accuracy to want to give up on CC again.

johnsilver

Rep: 61.3
votes: 4

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 3:19 pm Post subject: Re: Was 10 years enough? Reply with quote

Think there are many maps that need adding here since the last update Mooxe. No offense.

Sometimes it's best to ignore what some elements have to say about things, especially when they are invested in other ideas and might be pushing another agenda.

Werf

Edit:

Quote:
That is something we will need to evaluate next time there is work scheduled on the older games. There is no schedule for such work at this time.

Could that be the statement which is so offensive Mooxe? I thought we all knew that Matrix had abandoned our beloved game as soon as that 3D version came out, if not sooner from the past when they were slow to release patches.

The 3D kids game was just the nail in the classic series.

Last edited by johnsilver on Sat Jul 18, 2015 3:38 pm; edited 1 time in total

Stwa

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 3:34 pm Post subject: Re: Was 10 years enough? Reply with quote

mooxe wrote (View Post):
[The more I talk about it the more I want to pick up the torch again. But all I have to do is read  the Steam or Matrix forums on why Steve insists we're not allowed to fill up empty slots due to historical accuracy to want to give up on CC again.

Gosh mooxe, do you even play the game anymore? All this dedication to Close Combat is starting to become humorous, myself included.

Pzt_Kanov

Rep: 14.2
votes: 9

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 5:47 pm Post subject: Re: Was 10 years enough? Reply with quote

mooxe wrote (View Post):
But all I have to do is read  the Steam or Matrix forums on why Steve insists we're not allowed to fill up empty slots due to historical accuracy to want to give up on CC again.

yeah wtf is up with that? I mean having all the elements of a company/battalion/regiment/whatever for the player to see and marvel at the correct organization of the forcepool but then not being able to choose a couple of them to fill some gay ass "unused slots" is realistic, I mean I'm all for capping the size of BG's depending the size of the unit they are representing but if the unit is already a certain size and is allowed 21 slots then let me fucking fill those 21 slots man, wtf?. Is not my problem tank platoons are 5 units only, like if a company commander would be like "uh wait you guys can't go fight! we're allowed only 5 tanks in this platoon! you can't go support them! that's unrealistic!"

But they want us to understand that the rest of the BG is standing there not doing anything and only 2 platoons are busting their ass in the line while the other guys just sip tea or whatever while the fighting guys are being blown up to pieces. The forcepool don't even incur in loses when you mess up in battle.

Very frustrating. Cathartes did a good job with what he had though and I enjoyed the game regardless of the stubbornness of some design decisions.

mooxe, if the deal to keep this place up is to update the front news and mods section, I'll volunteer, would need a quick bootcamp though, but I've worked with php and mysql in the past.

tripwire

Rep: 37.5
votes: 2

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 6:39 pm Post subject: Re: Was 10 years enough? Reply with quote

Pzt_Kanov, THANK YOU for offering to keep this site up and running.  Mooxe, I hope that you see this through.  As someone said before.... this site is like a library for all things CC related.  THANK YOU for all of your years of dedication!

mooxe

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 9:08 pm Post subject: Re: Was 10 years enough? Reply with quote

Hi Kanov, I did get your pm. I am in the middle of moving and on mobile devices for the week or so. I'll be in touch when settled.

Stwa

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 1:28 am Post subject: Re: Was 10 years enough? Reply with quote

mooxe wrote (View Post):
Hi Kanov, I did get your pm. I am in the middle of moving and on mobile devices for the week or so. I'll be in touch when settled.

OK, so all is well that ends well. 17 months of deliberation and 7 pages of posts, and we just needed a volunteer.

Thanks much Kanov.

Pete

Rep: 118.1
votes: 12

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 12:57 pm Post subject: Re: Was 10 years enough? Reply with quote

Thanks Mooxe for offering a solution and thank you Kanov for volunteering.

Dulce Bellum Inexpertis
(War is delightful to those who have no experience of it.)
Our facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/buckandpete/
Our website: https://themodsection.net/

TheImperatorKnight

Rep: 30.4
votes: 1

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 4:48 pm Post subject: Re: Was 10 years enough? Reply with quote

It's a real shame you're considering closing the site, Mooxe. I still think you should wait and see what happens with The Bloody First. I'll pm you shortly.

0202243 wrote (View Post):
Hi
I also was absent from CC for a while... I do not prefer a close down of this site but if this happens i will understand.

Also, some time ago TIK started a new site (http://www.closecombatfanatics.com/), so I was thinking 'Why creating a seperated site'? Wouldn't it be better to combine forces so the community would not totally dissapear?

My site isn't an alternative atm (apart from the forums I guess) since I've had zero time to work on it. I will keep it open though, and will work on it when I can. But I've even had to put my YouTube channel on hold for the last few weeks whilst I work on my documentary Sad However, I do think you have a point. CCF was a knee-jerk reaction to Mooxe creating this thread. There may not be many CC fans left, but I wouldn't like to see the community splinter after CCS goes down.

I have a Close Combat Youtube Channel

My Small Maps Mod for Close Combat: Gateway to Caen. Install guide and discussion
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website GameRanger Account

Post new topicThis topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. printer-friendly view Close Combat Series Forum Index -> The Mess -> Site Info
Goto page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Jump to: