Welcome to Close Combat Series
  Login or Register Home  ·  Downloads  ·  Forums  ·  Combat Camera  ·  Help  

Survey
Do incapacitations count as a soldier's kills?

Yes
No

Results
Polls

Votes 1179
Comments: 1

Shout Box!!

Only registered users can shout. Please login or create an account.

Main Menu
Articles & News  
    Help
    Player`s News
    Site News
    Multiplayer
    Terrain Challenge
    Boot Camp
Community  
    Forums
    Downloads
    Combat Camera
    MOOXE @ Youtube
    Statistics
Members  
    Private Messages
    Your Account
    Logout

Donations
Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
12/18/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
11/08/2021

Anonymous - $15.00
04/09/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
04/05/2021

Anonymous - $20.00
02/20/2021

Anonymous - $10.00
12/29/2020

Anonymous - $1.00
11/06/2020

ZAPPI4 - $20.00
10/10/2020

Find our site useful? Make a small donation to show your support.

Search for at
Close Combat Series Advanced Search

Goto page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 Author
ke_mechial

Rep: 89.1
votes: 2

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 7:45 am Post subject: Re: The Tactical Art of Combat Reply with quote

Sulla asked the members on closecombat.org what we want to be improved/changed, I think this is a good start.

Nomada_Firefox

Rep: 32.9
votes: 9

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 10:17 am Post subject: Re: The Tactical Art of Combat Reply with quote

Quote:
I don't mind waiting for Bloody First.  Rather they take their time than rush for some artificial project deadline, so big bosses can reassign programmers to other gaming projects.  I'm in the software business and I know the way that project mgmt crap works.  Always a rush and hardly ever is the scope or planning done properly...vast majority of software projects fail.  Then everyone looks for scapegoats.

It is true, it happens some times. But I do not see relation with these two proyects. The last CC games, WAR, CMT, COI, TLD, LSA, PTIF, GTC. They could be more or less finished but they were enough finished for avoid big problems. At the end, they were working mostly with a 15 years old engine. The unique problem was how the fact from be a very old engine was a problem. Iain McNeil told these words in the unique review from the alpha version from BF.
Quote:
“The engine’s just too old, and we’ve wrung every possible improvement and optimisation out of it over the years,”

It is impossible realize a perfect software, there are thousands of combinations, thousands of different hardware and the best test zone are the players with the release from a game.

But with Bloody First. I do not see this problem. They have delayed the game a year for improve it. The problem had been if they had released it before it had been finished.

Now what is the point from speak about Bloody First at this thread? Discredit it and its creators? Speak bad about Matrixgames because they published the previous games? I do not know if the people can see the difference between be a publisher and be a developer.

At the end, the relation between Bloddy First and The Tactical Art of Combat is pure and non-existent. We do not know too much about The Tactical Art of Combat but we know how Bloody First is made starting from zero with a new engine which we have seen with many new games and it runs.

Rodmorg

Rep: 42.6

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 11:53 am Post subject: Re: The Tactical Art of Combat Reply with quote

Quote:
You are wrong, you do not know nothing about me and if I am not wrong, you are very new in the CC games because you started this thread speaking about the CSO site and all the old players knew the CSO site and clearly how it was activated again (thanks to other thread where you can read more insults from Sulla, I recomend you search it)

Well, that's where you are wrong as well. I started playing CCV in 2006. Fast forward to about 2012, I downloaded the Winter War mod but failed to install it because I just didn't know that mods were out there - so I played the vanilla game. I bought CC3 off of eBay and played that for a while and then had a short hiatus of CC. In 2014, I tried to install the Stalingrad mod for CCV, failed, then asked the CCS forum for help. Finally got it working, played it then bought LSA and TLD. I didn't even know who developed TLD, and I found it the best out of LSA, CC2, CC3, PITF, GTC and even CC5.

So what I'm saying is that I am not a 'new' member of the CC series, and I have just been checking the site since early 2014, when I joined the other CC site Close Combat Fanatics. I guess this is when this site was going to close.

Winner of the Close Combat fanatics 'Panthers League'

Tejszd

Rep: 133.6
votes: 19

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 7:00 pm Post subject: Re: The Tactical Art of Combat Reply with quote

I wish Sulla good luck in his project to make a CC like game.

Competition is a good thing to drive innovation and give us players additional options....

ke_mechial

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 7:29 pm Post subject: Re: The Tactical Art of Combat Reply with quote

Tejszd wrote (View Post):
I wish Sulla good luck in his project to make a CC like game.

Competition is a good thing to drive innovation and give us players additional options....

well said...

Nomada_Firefox

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 8:58 pm Post subject: Re: The Tactical Art of Combat Reply with quote

From my point of view competition is not good but it is good have additional options of game.

At the end, we have not played, probably no one of us to Bloody First and perhaps it is a game with a very bad gameplay as GICombat or Squad Assault. From the same way, it can happen with The Tactical Art of Combat.

With two games, the chances from a good game can be better.

Quote:
Well, that's where you are wrong as well. I started playing CCV in 2006. Fast forward to about 2012, I downloaded the Winter War mod but failed to install it because I just didn't know that mods were out there - so I played the vanilla game. I bought CC3 off of eBay and played that for a while and then had a short hiatus of CC. In 2014, I tried to install the Stalingrad mod for CCV, failed, then asked the CCS forum for help. Finally got it working, played it then bought LSA and TLD. I didn't even know who developed TLD, and I found it the best out of LSA, CC2, CC3, PITF, GTC and even CC5.

Well, I was wrong. You are not fully new at CC games. By this reason I added a "if". However you said how you discovered the CSO site few time ago.

Do you see? I am not a man as other man, I am very unique, I can change of mind and apologize if it is neccesary.Wink

dj

Rep: 157.1

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 5:12 am Post subject: Re: The Tactical Art of Combat Reply with quote

Nomada_Firefox wrote (View Post):
Quote:
I don't mind waiting for Bloody First.  Rather they take their time than rush for some artificial project deadline, so big bosses can reassign programmers to other gaming projects.  I'm in the software business and I know the way that project mgmt crap works.  Always a rush and hardly ever is the scope or planning done properly...vast majority of software projects fail.  Then everyone looks for scapegoats.

It is true, it happens some times. But I do not see relation with these two proyects. The last CC games, WAR, CMT, COI, TLD, LSA, PTIF, GTC. They could be more or less finished but they were enough finished for avoid big problems. At the end, they were working mostly with a 15 years old engine. The unique problem was how the fact from be a very old engine was a problem. Iain McNeil told these words in the unique review from the alpha version from BF.
Quote:
“The engine’s just too old, and we’ve wrung every possible improvement and optimisation out of it over the years,”

Old code is a universal problem in the Software business.  15 years old is not really that old in comparison to what many other much more complex programs run.  It is not like it is 40 year old Assembler code.

Moreover there are numerous software vendors out there that have products that help assess , scan and rewrite the old code.  All Ian would need to do is hire a consulting company probably for cheap to convert or migrate the code to new language.  Then it would be much easier to build new engine with modern code that can be more easily modified.

I do not understand what happened to the original source code from Atomic.  Who has it, Shaun or Ian???

Nomada_Firefox

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 9:27 am Post subject: Re: The Tactical Art of Combat Reply with quote

Quote:
Old code is a universal problem in the Software business.  15 years old is not really that old in comparison to what many other much more complex programs run.  It is not like it is 40 year old Assembler code.

Speaking from the old CC code, it must be a big problem. I copied a small part from the interview made to Ian one year ago but he told more words about it. He said these things.
Quote:
“There’s more problems with the old engine than Close Combat fans realise, probably,”

Quote:
“The UI, for example, is completely impenetrable. Place a first-time player in front of Close Combat 3 today. It will probably be 10 minutes before they get a rifle team to move.”

Quote:
“In the old Close Combat there was two seperate layers at work, a data layer and a graphics layer. They didn’t perfectly sync up, so there was a slight difference between what the game understood to be happening and what the player saw.”

After these words. I always think this. If the old code can be used for some better, why has it not be made before? at ten years, with exception from the addition from the 32bits, we did not see any bigger change, the engine was exactly the same from CC5 with very few changes, mostly graphic changes. It was as if I had been working at my Yamaha TTR-250, adding each 2 years, new graphics. But at the end, it continues being a TTR-250.Wink

Tejszd

Rep: 133.6
votes: 19

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 3:34 pm Post subject: Re: The Tactical Art of Combat Reply with quote

The old code may not be easy to use or use the latest language which most developers use but it is possible to make changes as the re-releases and especially the military versions have proved;

Re-release Additional Features:
- 2 BG's per map on strat layer and attacks from 2 different maps = LSA
- 32bit color instead of 16bit - GTC
- 64 map strat layer - WAR
- bridge demolition and repair - LSA
- camouflaged tanks and anti-tank guns - GTC
- carrying passengers/pull guns - PiTF
- extended ForcePool list to display 25 of 25 available units - TLD
- improved path finding - TLD
- night battles - TLD
- going under bridges - LSA
- mortar targeting process - PiTF
- rolling barrage - GTC
- weather (fog) - PiTF

Military Additional Features:
- carrying passengers/pull guns - CCM before any of the retail releases
- battle creator (with custom deployment zones, no more entry VL's) - CCM
- custom soldier kits - CCMAT
- custom soldier teams - CCMAT
- huge maps - CCM
- multiple support strikes - CCM
- many vs many games (2-10 players) - CCM
- more teams per player - CCM
- placing mines, obstacles, etc.- CCMAT
- triggered events; condition (force, unit),  location, time - CCMAT

dj

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 4:06 pm Post subject: Re: The Tactical Art of Combat Reply with quote

YES...if the code is unable to be modified, then there are still options.  If the data is that bad, then a rewrite should not be a problem.  Spend some $ for IT services company to do a conversion to new code.  They probably just don't want to spend any $, thus still have the same issues.

platoon_michael

Rep: 47.6
votes: 25

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 5:15 pm Post subject: Re: The Tactical Art of Combat Reply with quote

Unless a download or Demo can be provided proving the development of this So Called TAC
I personally consider it to be all Smoke and Mirrors.
A Dreamers Dream

What ever you want to call it.

I have dreams too.

I want to own a 1933 Duesenberg Boattail Speedster
But currently own a 2005 Ford Freestyle.
I am however working on it.And some day you shall see!

YOU"LL SEE,I'm gonna do it!
Because I said so on the Internet.

The very same thing Matrix is good at.
So what is it NOW! Is it Sulla or Matrix,Sulla vs. Matrix?.....who are you putting your money on?

There's an old saying that goes.............SEEING IS BELIEVING!

Regardless of who's doing the talking.

PS.
My hats off to STWA for that whole Spanish to Kilingon translation......I laughed my arse off at that.

ke_mechial

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 5:40 pm Post subject: Re: The Tactical Art of Combat Reply with quote

platoon_michael wrote (View Post):
Unless a download or Demo can be provided proving the development of this So Called TAC
I personally consider it to be all Smoke and Mirrors.
A Dreamers Dream

What ever you want to call it.

I have dreams too.

I want to own a 1933 Duesenberg Boattail Speedster
But currently own a 2005 Ford Freestyle.
I am however working on it.And some day you shall see!

YOU"LL SEE,I'm gonna do it!
Because I said so on the Internet.

The very same thing Matrix is good at.
So what is it NOW! Is it Sulla or Matrix,Sulla vs. Matrix?.....who are you putting your money on?

There's an old saying that goes.............SEEING IS BELIEVING!

Regardless of who's doing the talking.

PS.
My hats off to STWA for that whole Spanish to Kilingon translation......I laughed my arse off at that.

I agree upon waiting and seeing, too. But Sulla is asking CC players to express themselves at closecombat.org, if they had improvement ideas or suggestions about the new engine of TTAC, at early stage, before the actual development starts, while it is easier to implement them into the game. That is actually plausible and free, and worth trying...

dj

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 6:02 pm Post subject: Re: The Tactical Art of Combat Reply with quote

Sulla wrote (View Post):
Quote:
Continue giving thanks to the devil and the CC series will be dead very soon.

This guy and his friends wasted 6 millions of dollars..........

They sold us re-makes from very old games as new games..........

They could not make a new CC game even when they had the resources.........

Yes a great proyect leader........come on...........

Now you can continue kissing his ass.

Hmmm, the evil, hey? Wow going up in the World Nom....

I am NOT getting in a flame war over your idiotic and TBH, pretty nasty posts and insinuations Nom. I have NO iea why you dislike Me or CSO so much, but lets face it, its a fact.Sucking up to whoever you think is in the know, is really NOT a great way of getting info. You KNOW very little of what went on at CSO. You also know almost nothing that went on with Matrix. You are a good modder, but think you know far more than you do.

Here is what went on, no I am not going on an anti Matrix [just a name now] or anti Slitherine bash. What they did is in the past. For me it is now history.

Atomic got 3 Million to develop Red Phoenix - This failed. I think CSO and CCS has what resulted. The RP code was unusable. This was worked on by Keith Z and a team down in Texas. Keith wanted to design a complete new engine rather than use an existing engine, this halfway through the development cycle was found to be untenable. They switched to an existing engine, but it was too late and the end result is RP. Some useless Code. - I HAD ZERO TO DO WITH THIS PROJECT. - This was SUPPOSED to be an anti terrorist Sim that had a game side and a military sim version. NOTE: Doug WALKER and many others who BUILT the original CC were not involved.

Destineer got 3.5 Million to develop a game/simulation that could be used to train the USMC [Much as VBS is used now] It was supposed to tie in to higher level sims, including RP / MAGTV and others already used by the USMC. What they got [USMC] was an anti-drug-abuse trainer. The USMC said we don't have a drugs problem, WTF do we need this for.

At this point, there was around 180K left of the 6.5M paid by the govt to Atomic and Destineer. At THIS POINT, as we had already been using the code [CC Source for CCM] they came to us and asked if we could at least give them something to show for this. This is where JTAC an CC:AT came from. JTAC was to become the deliverable for Destineer and CC:AT was the deliverable for Atomic. BUT built by Simtek. We had already been using the code for CCM to buil CCM4 and the Pentago Kisok Exhibit.

It was at this point that as part of the deal I signed with Destineer, [nothing to do with Matrix or anyone else] that we were given the rights to use the old CC1-CC5 source code for complete rebuilds. We were explicitly banned from developing any new versions of CC from that code. We were allowed to build on and add to the initial original releases. Simtek got 80K for JTAC and 80K for AT + the code and ability to do the rebuilds. We also did CCRAF for the RAF Regt. We were also working on making several games NMCI compliant and building support sites and other bits for CCM. CoI was the first rebuild. This really was our first look at the commercial code. It took as long to clean the code up as it did to rebuild CC3 into CoI.

All this time, money from both the govt and Commercial work was proving hard to get, we had severe cash flow problems but still had deadlines and milestones to meet.

At about the point of getting the source code, I got very ill. [I know Nom, not really ill, was it!] I had to take a step back, I had been rushed into hospital 3 times with suspected Heart Attack [I was 43] I also developed a genetic Iron disorder, Chronic Arthritis and a major E-Coli Kidney infection, while in hospital. Not that any of this is YOUR business Nom, but I am a tad fed up with you spreading crap you know nothing about, spreading shit about me that equally you know nothing about. Do you see who actually got the 6.5 million? From the moment I got ill, I was really screwed. To Matrix the Rebuilds were just the biggest money maker they had, plugging holes in their finances. [I know how much the rebuilds made!] We had always planned on using the rebuilds to fund next gen CC. But Simtek would have need to have got paid for that to happen. I spent several years ill, getting over all that had hit me in one go. CoI and the first rebuilds really were learning what could be fixed, added to or improved. It was not a case as you seem to think of get the code and away you go, you have perfect code, why did you not do this or this, the code was old and buggy and needed massive work to become even usable.

Did I make mistakes, YES, did I trust the wrong people, YES, is hindsight easy? YES. Did I learn? Yes.

Nom, you are so far up Matrix's butt, all I see are your feet. You know little and profess much knowledge. You profess to know more about me and Simtek than I do. What IS YOUR PROBLEM? Get a life mate!

All of the above is history now. TTAC is a new game, it IS NOT based of CC source. If we know what we want the game to do, if we have a new engine, why would we need the old code? CC is a type of game, a tactical level sim, that models morale and small unit conflict.

I am doing this project for myself, I always wanted to build a Tactical sim like CC, but better, with much I thought was missing from previous games. Others are interested in working with me towards this. What is it to you Nom? You don't have to buy it, you don't have to even read about it. If it upsets you so much ignore it. I am still ill, still under periodic treatment.  Its taken me a while to get CSO back to where I wanted it after being ill. Its about there now with every file we can find. Is it finished, nope new or old files will always turn up. But a lot of work has gone into getting CSO back up and the filles and guides etc back online. CSO has no ads and is as it was always supposed to be, a resource for CC gamers and the community.

Now CSO is where I wanted it to be, I and others are starting TTAC. If you don't like it, I can't help that. For everyone else, I hope this clears up some of the misinformation, but you believe what you want. At this stage, I know the truth, I know I am finally doing what I have always dreamed of! Its as simple as that.

Ok, that's it, now say whatever bitterness you spew out next Nom, that's all I am putting down. Even then its mostly to put right the rubbish you spout out.

Sorry if that was boring or a bit OTT guys, but that vitriol never seems to end. To anyone who feels I should have done better, I am sorry. I am human and am now trying to.

Cheers - Shaun

Hi Sulla, why don't you find Venture capital company to finance an alternative to CC and start from scratch?  You have the legit business experience to do this.

DAK_Legion

Rep: 86.3
votes: 20

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 1:17 pm Post subject: Re: The Tactical Art of Combat Reply with quote

Thanks for your words Michael;)

heia Safari!!

johnsilver

Rep: 61.3
votes: 4

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 2:07 pm Post subject: Re: The Tactical Art of Combat Reply with quote

Don't think he's asked for anything, other than ideas and damn sure nothing from you Michael.

Why not take your words straight from the arse and just stick them right back up there when you come back around every other month ok?  Evil or Very Mad

dj

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 4:52 am Post subject: Re: The Tactical Art of Combat Reply with quote

People use to laugh at Steve Jobs and called him a dreamer too.  For years, Apple was mocked and ridiculed as a company nobody took seriously.  Even came close to going bankrupt.  Now the haters can laugh all they want...while Apple produced the biggest Q4 revenues in the history of American business.  If it wasn't for dreams, countless other businesses or projects would never even began.  Something you should think about Michael.

ke_mechial

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 6:16 pm Post subject: Re: The Tactical Art of Combat Reply with quote

Sulla announced on closecombat.org that official forums of game is open:
http://www.tacticalartofcombat.com/ARTCOM/index.php

Rodmorg

Rep: 42.6

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 8:51 pm Post subject: Re: The Tactical Art of Combat Reply with quote

Nice! I like the new layout of the site, compared to the other site.

Winner of the Close Combat fanatics 'Panthers League'

Antony_nz

Rep: 83.9
votes: 6

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 5:08 am Post subject: Re: The Tactical Art of Combat Reply with quote

Wow. This is very good. I wish him luck and hope it develops into a great Close Combat game.
Some time i need to go over 2 the CSO forums and start posting ideas.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website GameRanger Account

ke_mechial

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 9:07 am Post subject: Re: The Tactical Art of Combat Reply with quote

Last News:

Sulla declared at http://www.tacticalartofcombat.com/ that he will be showing some pre-alpha screens next week.

Post new topicReply to topic printer-friendly view Close Combat Series Forum Index -> Modding Workshop -> Art of Combat
Goto page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Jump to: