Welcome to Close Combat Series
  Login or Register Home  ·  Downloads  ·  Forums  ·  Combat Camera  ·  Help  

Survey
Do incapacitations count as a soldier's kills?

Yes
No

Results
Polls

Votes 1213
Comments: 1

Shout Box!!

Only registered users can shout. Please login or create an account.

Main Menu
Articles & News  
    Help
    Player`s News
    Site News
    Multiplayer
    Terrain Challenge
    Boot Camp
Community  
    Forums
    Downloads
    Combat Camera
    MOOXE @ Youtube
    Statistics
Members  
    Private Messages
    Your Account
    Logout

Donations
Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
12/18/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
11/08/2021

Anonymous - $15.00
04/09/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
04/05/2021

Anonymous - $20.00
02/20/2021

Anonymous - $10.00
12/29/2020

Anonymous - $1.00
11/06/2020

ZAPPI4 - $20.00
10/10/2020

Find our site useful? Make a small donation to show your support.

Search for at
Close Combat Series Advanced Search

Author
vobbnobb

Rep: 73
votes: 6

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 2:06 am Post subject: St Lo. Campaign Map Reply with quote

I was bored so I listened to the videos, and put together a map of the cc1 campaign using google maps.. Of course the map I used is modern and some places, roads and areas may not exist today. Close Combat is based on the fighting of the U.S. 29th Infantry Division and the German defenders from Omaha Beach to Saint-Lo. A lot of towns were mentioned in them.

St Lo was an important Normandy road junction that connected east to west and north to south and it was coveted by both sides for this importance. Bradley wanted it and the Vire River to its west for another reason as well. If the US 1st Army was going to be successful in Operation Cobra, Bradley had to control the city and the river. The Germans knew the importance and would do everything in their power to prevent the Americans from having the sector. The battle would turn out to be hard fought and one of the most costly in the Normandy campaign. The US had over 12,000 casualties in the immediate area of St Lo alone and 40,000 in the entire campaign.

From Omaha to St. Lo, 43 days just to get there. After Saint Lo was taken the breakout could begin..
There is a sad story to the city as it was obliterated and had to be rebuilt. If you use google maps and look at hedgerow! area on my map and go to street view you can see the crazy bocage they had to fight in.

cc1map.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  396.58 KB
 Viewed:  6933 Time(s)

cc1map.png

My WW2 CC Series TimeLine
http://tinyurl.com/n2vrec5

Post new topicReply to topic printer-friendly view Close Combat Series Forum Index -> Close Combat 1

Jump to: