Welcome to Close Combat Series
  Login or Register Home  ·  Downloads  ·  Forums  ·  Combat Camera  ·  Help  

Survey
Do incapacitations count as a soldier's kills?

Yes
No

Results
Polls

Votes 1179
Comments: 1

Shout Box!!

Only registered users can shout. Please login or create an account.

Main Menu
Articles & News  
    Help
    Player`s News
    Site News
    Multiplayer
    Terrain Challenge
    Boot Camp
Community  
    Forums
    Downloads
    Combat Camera
    MOOXE @ Youtube
    Statistics
Members  
    Private Messages
    Your Account
    Logout

Donations
Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
12/18/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
11/08/2021

Anonymous - $15.00
04/09/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
04/05/2021

Anonymous - $20.00
02/20/2021

Anonymous - $10.00
12/29/2020

Anonymous - $1.00
11/06/2020

ZAPPI4 - $20.00
10/10/2020

Find our site useful? Make a small donation to show your support.

Search for at
Close Combat Series Advanced Search

Goto page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19
 Author
sod98

Rep: 11.6
votes: 5

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 10:59 pm Post subject: Re: What are you reading? Reply with quote

The film that was made based on the book (that turned out to be quite successful financially) further distorts the story from reality. These days I mostly try to read books that are as proven to be as factually accurate as possible and American Sniper book and/or film do not fall into that category.[/quote]

So very true. American sniper just doesn't fall into that category.

mooxe

Rep: 221.1
votes: 25

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 8:38 pm Post subject: Re: What are you reading? Reply with quote

Currently reading Bare Feet, Iron Will by  James Zumwalt.

This book gives the Vietnamese perspective on the war, its quite interesting. A large section of the book deals with how commanders and soldiers operated the Ho Chi Min Trail. The US Air force continually bombed, mined, defoliated and patrolled the trail. They described the B-52 raids, AC-130 attacks and the general hardship of using the trail. All the while developing counter tactics to stay alive, fight back against the US Air Force and keep the trail operating. Very interesting... The NVA were absolutely outclassed in technology but their ingenuity and determination was amazing.

The book also related to you stories from anti-aircraft personal, civilians, hospital staff and front line soldiers. The reoccurring aspects in all their stories is the hardship from air attack, harshness of the jungle, the will to reunify their country and having to improvise everything.

Definitely an excellent book for any war history readers.

MajorFrank

Rep: 41.8
votes: 6

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 12:41 pm Post subject: Re: What are you reading? Reply with quote

House to House by David Bellavia. Just started reading it so still early but it's a pretty gritty and brutal description of the war in Iraq and the Falluja battle. Difficult to say if it's factually accurate, at least the author doesn't paint himself as some super human.

pvt_Grunt

Rep: 98.5

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 10:23 am Post subject: Re: What are you reading? Reply with quote

Countdown to Zero Day by Kim Zetter. It's the story of the Stuxnet virus that was used against Iranian nuclear plants.

I also just finished A Brief History of Time. I've been meaning to read it for years and finally got it on my Kindle. It nearly killed me with space / time but the general physics info was really interesting.

Countdown to Zero Day.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  5.75 KB
 Viewed:  13583 Time(s)

Countdown to Zero Day.jpg

Schmal_Turm

Rep: 60.4
votes: 1

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 8:30 pm Post subject: Re: What are you reading? Reply with quote

I've read a number of good books but the research done for the book On Killing by Lt. Col. Dave Grossman was totally beyond anything I would have imagined. For example, according to the research done after WWII the number of U.S. Army personal who actually fired their weapons in combat was only around 15-20%, while the number of fighter pilots who fired in battle was only about 5%, which could account for the small number of aces.

There is an extensive study of the different forms of combat used throughout the ages and reason that certain weapons and tactics were superior in combat. Very interesting.

"No plan ever survives first contact with the enemy." Moltke

MajorFrank

Rep: 41.8

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2015 6:54 pm Post subject: Re: What are you reading? Reply with quote

About the guy James Zumwalt who's book Mooxe writes about, he has a pretty interesting and sad history.

Quote:
James G. Zumwalt is the younger son of Admiral Elmo R. Zumwalt, Jr., who became commander Naval Forces, Vietnam in 1968. James and brother Elmo III served in Vietnam during their father’s command. Admiral Zumwalt approved the use of Agent Orange during the war and, after his eldest son succumbed to cancer caused by dioxin in 1988, he became a leading advocate on behalf of veterans afflicted with diseases stemming from exposure to the defoliant. Deeply affected by the loss of his brother, James Zumwalt overcame his internal conflicts and anger about the war by developing extensive relationships with his former enemies during 50 visits to Vietnam from 1994 to 2004. His just-released book, Bare Feet, Iron Will: Stories from the Other Side of Vietnam’s Battlefields, stems from the hundreds of interviews he conducted and presents fascinating perspectives of the war from the other side of the battlefield. Zumwalt retired from the Marines as a lieutenant colonel and now is a consultant and frequent writer on national security issues for a variety of major newspapers.

Interview – James Zumwalt, author of Bare Feet, Iron Will

vobbnobb

Rep: 73

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2015 3:57 am Post subject: Re: What are you reading? Reply with quote

Just to let everyone know osprey is releasing some ww2 books in the coming couple of months you can check out on the left hand side of the site
https://ospreypublishing.com/ Some you can download as digital / ebooks as well.
This one looks good
https://ospreypublishing.com/us-infantryman-vs-german-infantryman
If you are interested in a certain battle or vehicle or any war stuff osprey has good stuff.

My WW2 CC Series TimeLine
http://tinyurl.com/n2vrec5

pvt_Grunt

Rep: 98.5

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 11:32 am Post subject: Re: What are you reading? Reply with quote

Now listening to Season 2 of "Serial" podcast. It's about the return of Bowe Bergdahl, the U.S. soldier who walked off his post in Afghanistan in 2009 and was captured and held by the Taliban for nearly five years. It's only Episode 3 but already there's so much info that the media barely touched on. It's produced by public broadcaster in Chicago.

mooxe

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 4:45 pm Post subject: Re: What are you reading? Reply with quote

Reading Heaven Next Stop by Gunther Bloemertz.

Nice book. Its a bit light on details of dogfights but still a good read. Gunther shares a lot of anecdotes from his time with the Abbeville Boys and details life on the front line or the air war. Some are very interesting and easily confirmed in other books of the Luftwaffe. One thing that is surpising, but in restrospec not surprising is how they took shotdown Allied airmen into thier mess prior to sending them to POW camps. Ofcourse this only happened if they were shot down relatively close to thier airfields. About half way done.

mooxe

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 11:58 pm Post subject: Re: What are you reading? Reply with quote

Just finished To The Limit. The author, Tom Johnson recounts his experiences in the 1st Cav in Vietnam.

Good book. I may be able to fly a Huey now just by reading his experiences. I seen the A Shau Valley mod thread and it reminded me to post my book here. Johnson goes into great detail of one of the first Cav missions in the A Shau. After the landing zones were created by bombs in the valley he and a few other huey crews had to go in and drop engineers into the clearings. The engineers would destroys the stumps and logs left over that would block a landing for a huey. As his flight of 6 hueys was coming into the valley, the 5 in front of him were all shot down by 37mm AA fire in a matter of seconds, Johnson witnessing each one. Johnson makes it to his LZ only to find another Huey dropping off men... He had to go around now and wait for that huey to leave. Doing that, he gets shot down by 37mm fire also. He goes on to describe how he and his crew and the engineers made it out of the jungle. They were alone, the Cav had not assaulted yet so there was no other friendlies in the jungle with them. That chapter alone made the entire book for me. Lots of other good parts in the book, that one stands out the most.

mooxe

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 8:18 am Post subject: Re: What are you reading? Reply with quote

The U-Boat Hunters by Marc Milner.

Wrote this on Amazon.ca..

"This book combines government politics and military tactics to explain how the RCN fought (not won) the war in the Atlantic. Fitting out RCN ships with new technology is where the politics came in. It seems Canada was not making any types of radar, weapons or asdic (pingers) equipment so we had to work at the government level to siphon this equipment from the British and American factories. The tactical portion of the book details how our corvettes and destroyers used the technology available to hunt down the subs. Its a pretty interesting book that will open your eyes to what was really happening behind the scenes in the RCN and how effective the RCN actually was."

I'd recommend this book to anyone who is interested in all the background activity in the Navy during this time period. The RCN was having a hell of a time fighting the u-boats and our lack of modern technology was a major factor in our allies letting us in on the hunt.

One weapon I never heard of used was the Squid. It was a forward firing anti-sub mortar. The on board equipment fed the Squid firing data such as depth, speed, direction... Some u-boats were sunk with just one Squid mortar.

Also detailed are how the Germans used the different temperature layers in the ocean to hide. Soundh from the asdic equipment would get reflected and bent around the different layers making it difficult to get a fix on the sub. In some cases the subs could hear the pings going overhead but the ship could not detect the sub at all.

For D-Day the allies expected a massive u-boat attack in the channel. There was constant air and surveillance to combat the subs but there never was a major attack. The channel also has so many wrecks on the bottom it made it difficult to differentiate subs and wrecks. They resorted to marking every wreck with buoys.

The book really shows how the technology war played out between Germany and the Allies. Squids, acoustic torpedoes, rubber coated subs, schnorkels...

mooxe

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2020 11:41 pm Post subject: Re: What are you reading? Reply with quote

Back into reading again now that my attention is off the news.

Just ordered "Island of Fire: The Battle for the Barrikady Gun Factory in Stalingrad"

&

"The Gulag Archipelago"

They both look pretty interesting.

Post new topicReply to topic printer-friendly view Close Combat Series Forum Index -> The Mess
Goto page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19

Jump to: