Welcome to Close Combat Series
  Login or Register Home  ·  Downloads  ·  Forums  ·  Combat Camera  ·  Help  

Survey
Do incapacitations count as a soldier's kills?

Yes
No

Results
Polls

Votes 1214
Comments: 1

Shout Box!!

Only registered users can shout. Please login or create an account.

Main Menu
Articles & News  
    Help
    Player`s News
    Site News
    Multiplayer
    Terrain Challenge
    Boot Camp
Community  
    Forums
    Downloads
    Combat Camera
    MOOXE @ Youtube
    Statistics
Members  
    Private Messages
    Your Account
    Logout

Donations
Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
12/18/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
11/08/2021

Anonymous - $15.00
04/09/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
04/05/2021

Anonymous - $20.00
02/20/2021

Anonymous - $10.00
12/29/2020

Anonymous - $1.00
11/06/2020

ZAPPI4 - $20.00
10/10/2020

Find our site useful? Make a small donation to show your support.

Search for at
Close Combat Series Advanced Search

Goto page 1, 2  Next
 Author
ScnelleMeyer

Rep: 191.3
votes: 18

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 9:50 pm Post subject: Artists that made Close Combat Reply with quote

Found a couple of web pages of the artists that worked on the original CC3-CC5 games.

First one is Gil John Rodriguez that worked on CC4 and CC5 - Hes got a couple of photos showing CC vehicles in full 3D - Very interesting how much work was put into the small sprites :

http://www.pixelrodart.com/ccscreen.php

Next is Charles Jakobi - He worked on CC3 map making - Stating in his posted CC3 screens that "Buildings were modelled and rendered in 3D Studio Max, and the remaining compositing and texture work were completed in Photoshop and Painter.

This is his web page
http://www.chucktropolis.com/

Screenshots of his CC3 maps are here:
http://www.chucktropolis.com/gallery/

mooxe

Rep: 221.7
votes: 25

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 11:44 pm Post subject: Re: Artists that made Close Combat Reply with quote

Nice finds!

There's another artist site out there but I lost the link. I think its buried in the forum somewhere. He did a lot of artwork for CC5 Bloody Omaha I think as well as CC3.

mooxe

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 11:49 pm Post subject: Re: Artists that made Close Combat Reply with quote

Found it but its gone. The waybackmachine doesn't have it either.

http://www.mjtdigital.co.uk/CloseCombat/

His online name was Melchette.

ScnelleMeyer

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 1:22 am Post subject: Re: Artists that made Close Combat Reply with quote

To bad its gone - its fun to have a peek at how the pro's do things.

Found another : Scott Halverson - Worked on CC5 and CCM with maps and vehicle graphics.

Some 3D and 2D images on his site:

http://www.halvorss.cnc.net/

ScnelleMeyer

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 1:39 am Post subject: Re: Artists that made Close Combat Reply with quote

Curtis Ratica painted maps for CC4 and Road to Baghdad.
As art director at Atomic he worked on Red Phoenix (the game that was never finished)

Link with some screens:
http://cratica.brinkster.net/cratica/GameArtCloseCombat.html

ke_mechial

Rep: 89.1
votes: 2

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 1:15 pm Post subject: Re: Artists that made Close Combat Reply with quote

Nice Findings Meyer, good effort.

By the way, I checked Red Pheonix screens and they are surprisingly shiny, although being stopped at the middle of the process. If that could come out...

ScnelleMeyer

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 1:52 am Post subject: Re: Artists that made Close Combat Reply with quote

Its in the DL section on rhis site.

TheImperatorKnight

Rep: 30.4
votes: 1

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 1:48 am Post subject: Re: Artists that made Close Combat Reply with quote

Huh... this got me thinking. I wonder if I could make a map in 3D then render it out as an image and create maps with it

I have a Close Combat Youtube Channel

My Small Maps Mod for Close Combat: Gateway to Caen. Install guide and discussion
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website GameRanger Account

mooxe

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 3:15 am Post subject: Re: Artists that made Close Combat Reply with quote

TheImperatorKnight wrote (View Post):
Huh... this got me thinking. I wonder if I could make a map in 3D then render it out as an image and create maps with it

The reverse has been done.

Its also been done with CC2 maps, but they were high quality 3D, not what you see above.

TheImperatorKnight

Rep: 30.4
votes: 1

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 3:49 pm Post subject: Re: Artists that made Close Combat Reply with quote

mooxe wrote (View Post):

Its also been done with CC2 maps, but they were high quality 3D, not what you see above.

That looks... interesting. What mod is that? And do you have links to the CC2 maps??

I'm learning to use 3D software at the moment, so once I get to grips with it I'll try create a map with it for COI and see how it turns out.

I have a Close Combat Youtube Channel

My Small Maps Mod for Close Combat: Gateway to Caen. Install guide and discussion
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website GameRanger Account

Pete

Rep: 118.1
votes: 12

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 12:31 am Post subject: Re: Artists that made Close Combat Reply with quote

I believe that his how Buck_Compton does part of his mapmaking.

Dulce Bellum Inexpertis
(War is delightful to those who have no experience of it.)
Our facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/buckandpete/
Our website: https://themodsection.net/

Pete

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 12:33 am Post subject: Re: Artists that made Close Combat Reply with quote

mooxe wrote (View Post):

That looks... interesting. What mod is that? And do you have links to the CC2 maps??

I'm learning to use 3D software at the moment, so once I get to grips with it I'll try create a map with it for COI and see how it turns out.

It's not a mod, it's a tool to convert the heights of CC maps into a 3d like model. Used it once or twice a decade ago but never got used to it.

Dulce Bellum Inexpertis

Pete

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 12:39 am Post subject: Re: Artists that made Close Combat Reply with quote

ScnelleMeyer wrote (View Post):
To bad its gone - its fun to have a peek at how the pro's do things.

Found another : Scott Halverson - Worked on CC5 and CCM with maps and vehicle graphics.

Some 3D and 2D images on his site:

http://www.halvorss.cnc.net/

In the early '00's when I was looking around for more info on Close Combat games I found Mr Halvorsson's website. I emailed him and got a reply back that Atomic seemed to be out of business but that there was still an active community out there. That is how I got into the CC community.

Dulce Bellum Inexpertis

ScnelleMeyer

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 12:27 am Post subject: Re: Artists that made Close Combat Reply with quote

These are renders of the original 3D models used in making CC4/CC5.

The French tanks and the Sdkfz are of very good quality regarding details and measurements. I am pretty sure the French was made by Gil John Rodriguez and the Sdkfz was made by  Jose G. Polonio - Now, he is not mentioned in the CC4 or 5 credits so I guess the model was bought by Atomic to be put in the game.

The Panther and Jagdtiger are more sloppily made, but does the job from a 2D top down sprite persepective. I don't know the original artist of these unfortunately.
Anyways all credits belong to the original artists and companies with copyrights.

H-39.png
 Description:
H-39
 Filesize:  462.83 KB
 Viewed:  11465 Time(s)

H-39.png

R-35.png
 Description:
R-35
 Filesize:  641.92 KB

R-35.png

Sdkfz 250-3.png
 Description:
Sdkfz
 Filesize:  810.04 KB

Sdkfz 250-3.png

Tiger I Hull.png
 Description:
Tiger I Hull
 Filesize:  23.43 KB

Tiger I Hull.png

Panther.png
 Description:
Panther Early
 Filesize:  211.75 KB

Panther.png

JagdTiger.png
 Description:
JagdTiger CC4
 Filesize:  219.51 KB

JagdTiger.png

mick_xe5

Rep: 19.4
votes: 5

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 1:17 am Post subject: Re: Artists that made Close Combat Reply with quote

mooxe wrote (View Post):
Thomm did those quasi-3D OVMs for CC4&5 to make it easier to determine terrain types and map elevation without right clicking and dragging ad naseum. The method he used involved several apps and some proprietary middleware. It was also a time suck. So he didnt do the same for other versions or mods and it wasnt a process he could make available. Altogether an innovative solution to the problem of determing terrain/elevation.

GTC finally offered a couple of maps with contour lines on the OVMs, an easily implemented feature we should have seen long ago.

mooxe

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 1:28 am Post subject: Re: Artists that made Close Combat Reply with quote

The SDKFZ metal frame above the crew compartment.... I watched a video somewhere that said this was an antenna, not a frame for camouflage or cover.

ScnelleMeyer

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 1:36 am Post subject: Re: Artists that made Close Combat Reply with quote

Mick > Using the Greyscale image of elevation coding exported from 5CC in the 3D part of PS 6 or even Blender a quick terrain overview image of the terrain elevations could easily be made.

True Mooxe its an antenna used on Command vehicles - Also some of the Armoured command cars also used this set up. Even a full interior is modelled on this one.

mick_xe5

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 5:31 am Post subject: Re: Artists that made Close Combat Reply with quote

Ive experimented with bump mapping CC elevations but have never been satisfied with the results. Easy enough to delineate the major and minor heights on a map but not the 1-2m variations critical to tactical planning.

ScnelleMeyer

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 6:10 am Post subject: Re: Artists that made Close Combat Reply with quote

Thats true, those are harder to get to, but in a way I find it realistic because those would never appear on any CO's map either.
So sometimes youre in luck and find cover other times not..

mick_xe5

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 7:24 pm Post subject: Re: Artists that made Close Combat Reply with quote

The CO can put eyes on the terrain to tell him there are 'wrinkles' that would afford a hull down position behind a hummock or a covered line of approach in a swale. The player has right click'n'drag recce. I prolly shouldnt complain. Being able to see the real map underneath the artwork, as Thomm's Q3Ds better depict it, is one of the AI' few advantages.

Post new topicReply to topic printer-friendly view Close Combat Series Forum Index -> The Mess
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Jump to: