Welcome to Close Combat Series
  Login or Register Home  ·  Downloads  ·  Forums  ·  Combat Camera  ·  Help  

Survey
Do incapacitations count as a soldier's kills?

Yes
No

Results
Polls

Votes 1213
Comments: 1

Shout Box!!

Only registered users can shout. Please login or create an account.

Main Menu
Articles & News  
    Help
    Player`s News
    Site News
    Multiplayer
    Terrain Challenge
    Boot Camp
Community  
    Forums
    Downloads
    Combat Camera
    MOOXE @ Youtube
    Statistics
Members  
    Private Messages
    Your Account
    Logout

Donations
Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
12/18/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
11/08/2021

Anonymous - $15.00
04/09/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
04/05/2021

Anonymous - $20.00
02/20/2021

Anonymous - $10.00
12/29/2020

Anonymous - $1.00
11/06/2020

ZAPPI4 - $20.00
10/10/2020

Find our site useful? Make a small donation to show your support.

Search for at
Close Combat Series Advanced Search

Author
pier4r

Rep: 0.2

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 11:44 pm Post subject: newbie: tools for editing TLD (classic cc5)? Reply with quote

tl;dr:  apart from the workbook, there are newer tools to quickly edit the data files for the classic CC5 in the "the longest day" release?

Hi everyone! I am new on this forum while i know already this site a bit.

I searched tools for editing the classic CC5 in "the longest days" and i found in the download section the "workbook". With google i also searched this forum and i read a lot of fire against the new developers (threads from 2009/10 if i remember correctly) that changed the data files from a proprietary format to text files.

Well maybe i'm naive but i prefer text files way more, if they are documented properly it is easier for many to build tools (for example an excel file) to edit the values.

Anyway, my point is that while i like a lot the classic CC5 in the remake, i cannot really use the workbook due to my small screen. So i use th workbook only as documentation and then i make my changes through vim or notepad2-mod , for little changes i a bit of time is needed due to not so easy identification of proper columns in the big text files.

But since those are text files, i was wondering if someone, in the meanwhile, create an editing tools different from the excel workbook. Maybe through command line, if not GUI.

Therefore my question is: apart from the workbook, there are newer tools to quickly edit the data files for the classic CC5 in the "the longest day" release?

Thanks for the answers!

Stwa

Rep: 308.9
votes: 16

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 2:32 am Post subject: Re: newbie: tools for editing TLD (classic cc5)? Reply with quote

I always used Excel 2003.

BTW, how small is your monitor?

pier4r

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 2:58 pm Post subject: Re: newbie: tools for editing TLD (classic cc5)? Reply with quote

I think 13.1 inches (it is a laptop that i use for win XP games), a pleasure with CC, less a pleasure with excel/open office. I normally just read the excel file and modify the data files with the text editor.

So may i assume than no one developed other ways to modify the text files? If yes, i may consider a project to do a command line modification tool, very slowly.

PS: with certain text editors, like notepad2-mod, one learns a lot due to the modifications needed. For example "alt+shift" for column or rectangular editing.

mick_xe5

Rep: 19.4
votes: 5

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 6:31 pm Post subject: Re: newbie: tools for editing TLD (classic cc5)? Reply with quote

The classic CC5 Data/Base/ text files are tab delimited and can be opened in Excel. Sounds like the easiest way for you to edit them may be to create a couple of new rows at the top of the text file in Excel, paste in the workbook headers, edit as desired, delete the header rows, save and use.

eg. the *Teams files can be edited using only header rows 1 and 3 from the workbook. Rows 2 and 4 are redundant.

xl.jpg
 Description:
Classic CC5 alsteams in Excel
 Filesize:  176.98 KB
 Viewed:  9738 Time(s)

xl.jpg

mick_xe5

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 2:38 am Post subject: Re: newbie: tools for editing TLD (classic cc5)? Reply with quote

Alternatively - maintain the workbook headers in all the Excel sheets but replace the data sections with the Classic CC5 text files since Im not sure if there are differences between the workbook and text file data. Edit as desired then cut the edited data sections, paste into a new Excel sheet, save as .txt and use. This way would be easiest for an ongoing series of edits.

As always, test your edits frequently in-game for easier troubleshooting. Tougher to figure out where you went wrong when sorting through large numbers of data changes.

mooxe

Rep: 221.7
votes: 25

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 3:46 am Post subject: Re: newbie: tools for editing TLD (classic cc5)? Reply with quote

I never understood how to use the workbooks. Do you highlight+copy+paste the data from excel to a text file?

mick_xe5

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 7:23 am Post subject: Re: newbie: tools for editing TLD (classic cc5)? Reply with quote

Assuming you have edited the AlsTeams sheet in the CC5 workbook:

Select cell A:5
Scroll to cell BF:68 in the lower right corner of the sheet
Hold the SHIFT key and select cell BF:68
This selects all the data between A:5 and BF:68
CTRL + C to copy the selected data to the clipboard
Open a new Excel workbook
Right click on cell A:2 and paste the copied data
Enter the value 64 in cell A:1 (ie. the number of  team classes in the file starting at 0)
Save this workbook as Alsteams.txt (Tab delimited) to the /Data/Base/ directory.

Screenshot (179).jpg
 Description:
Save as Text - tab delimited
 Filesize:  117.6 KB
 Viewed:  9707 Time(s)

Screenshot (179).jpg

Stwa

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 7:59 am Post subject: Re: newbie: tools for editing TLD (classic cc5)? Reply with quote

Arrow

All I Do is Save the File Tab Delimited.jpg
 Description:
I just use the Workbooks as reference, and open the DATA txt file.
 Filesize:  364.93 KB
 Viewed:  9701 Time(s)

All I Do is Save the File Tab Delimited.jpg

pier4r

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 5:57 pm Post subject: Re: newbie: tools for editing TLD (classic cc5)? Reply with quote

mick_xe5 wrote (View Post):

As always, test your edits frequently in-game for easier troubleshooting. Tougher to figure out where you went wrong when sorting through large numbers of data changes.

This always (in whatever case there are changes: proof reading, coding, defining a process, etc..). The more untested changes, the longer the debug.

Anyway maybe it is just me but i feel really lost when i open fpools txt in excel/open office. Too many columns and rows.

Stwa

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 11:00 am Post subject: Re: newbie: tools for editing TLD (classic cc5)? Reply with quote

pier4r wrote (View Post):
Anyway maybe it is just me but i feel really lost when i open fpools txt in excel/open office. Too many columns and rows.

Try using a WW2 mod of CCMT. There are no fpools.

Post new topicReply to topic printer-friendly view Close Combat Series Forum Index -> Close Combat The Longest Day

Jump to: