Welcome to Close Combat Series
  Login or Register Home  ·  Downloads  ·  Forums  ·  Combat Camera  ·  Help  

Survey
Do incapacitations count as a soldier's kills?

Yes
No

Results
Polls

Votes 1179
Comments: 1

Shout Box!!

Only registered users can shout. Please login or create an account.

Main Menu
Articles & News  
    Help
    Player`s News
    Site News
    Multiplayer
    Terrain Challenge
    Boot Camp
Community  
    Forums
    Downloads
    Combat Camera
    MOOXE @ Youtube
    Statistics
Members  
    Private Messages
    Your Account
    Logout

Donations
Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
12/18/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
11/08/2021

Anonymous - $15.00
04/09/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
04/05/2021

Anonymous - $20.00
02/20/2021

Anonymous - $10.00
12/29/2020

Anonymous - $1.00
11/06/2020

ZAPPI4 - $20.00
10/10/2020

Find our site useful? Make a small donation to show your support.

Search for at
Close Combat Series Advanced Search

Goto page 1, 2  Next
 Author
ScnelleMeyer

Rep: 190.3
votes: 18

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 9:46 pm Post subject: 3D modelling for Close Combat Reply with quote

Atomic games used 3D vehicle models and made houses and other structures in 3D and then converted them to 2D images.
I know some modders have been doing som 3D work and implemented it into various CC versions. Also future CC versions will be 3D so I think modders should start learning the tools of the trade.

Still there are few threads on techniques and tips for using 3D work in Close Combat.
Using a 3D program to model and animate can be very daunting as there are so many options and things to consider.
To make the transition easier I thought this thread could be a tips and tricks place for using 3D in CC.

Personally I have tried my hand at Blender - A free program that has a ton of functions, but have kind of a steep learning curve to it.
Good thing is there are tons of tutorials on YT and other websites providing a helping hand.

I finally got an animation going were the model rotates 360degrees in 64 steps - Rendering out 64 single images in the process. This makes it possible to make a new shadow quite easy, without having to go through the pain of editing 64 shadow images in VehicleShEdit by hand.
For now I use other free models from the net or models from other games, but to make a basic vehicle shadow for CC wouldnt take much modelling skills.

Do you have any 3D experience with Close Combat - Please go ahead and share the what and how !

60mm mortar and shadows - rendered.PNG
 Description:
60mm mortar with shadow
 Filesize:  221.38 KB
 Viewed:  15285 Time(s)

60mm mortar and shadows - rendered.PNG

Pzt_Kanov

Rep: 14.2
votes: 9

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 9:29 pm Post subject: Re: 3D modelling for Close Combat Reply with quote

Definitely we must get into this.

I tried sketchup but it is very crude, the models have thick black lines on the borders and the program doesn't have a way to align the model with the ground, so if sketchup loads it it might or might not put the tank or whatever on ground completely messing with the shadows.

I noticed that the tank model used from say, vanilla CC5 aren't that detailed, they are just like a mock up or the basic shapes of the tank and if you compare them with say the 2D tanks from Stalingrad mod you can see more detail is possible, but having just the basic of a tank works and is not necessary to make a 100% faithful model because at CC viewing distances is not that important.

ScnelleMeyer

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 10:31 pm Post subject: Re: 3D modelling for Close Combat Reply with quote

I did try Sketchup too, but I cant remember the problem with aligning objects to the ground. - I am sure there must be a way to do it.
Its some time since I opened it, but the last time I used it to import a pice of terrain from Google Earth to make the start of a map for CC.
I exported a greyscale heightmap image from sketchup to Photoshop, where all texturing was done.

You can get rid of the black lines in Sketchup models as well - I just dont remember how to do it right now...
There is an add on called VRay that can render quite realistic images from Sketchup.

ScnelleMeyer

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 10:41 pm Post subject: Re: 3D modelling for Close Combat Reply with quote

This is a mosque from Afghanistan imported to Sketchup from the Sketchup warehouse. Saved with shadow to a .png file.
The textures are not good enough for a CC map, but the shapes are there and best of all is there are thousands of available models frm all over the world.

BlueMosque10.jpg
 Description:
Mosque
 Filesize:  269.9 KB
 Viewed:  15183 Time(s)

BlueMosque10.jpg

ScnelleMeyer

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 8:05 pm Post subject: Re: 3D modelling for Close Combat Reply with quote

Seeing Buck and Petes 3D models on Closecombat Series mods FB page made me check out a Blender plugin that makes it possible to import Sketchup models directly into Blender. There are thousands of Building models available for Sketchup and being able to import them to Blender for rendering different angles and shadows makes them available as a great map making resource!
I made a quick test of rendering a building with Blenders Cycles renderer. Spent about 10 min mostly adjusting the lighting.

Town house.png
 Description:
Town Hall
 Filesize:  217.63 KB
 Viewed:  14937 Time(s)

Town house.png

ke_mechial

Rep: 89.1
votes: 2

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 11:03 pm Post subject: Re: 3D modelling for Close Combat Reply with quote

That is excellent R&D work  Very Happy

ScnelleMeyer

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 11:50 pm Post subject: Re: 3D modelling for Close Combat Reply with quote

Replicate and Duplicate or Research and Development? Very Happy
Thanks anyway buddy

ScnelleMeyer

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 12:00 am Post subject: Re: 3D modelling for Close Combat Reply with quote

Renders from different angles and
testing on a map

Renders.PNG
 Description:
Renders
 Filesize:  179.61 KB
 Viewed:  14912 Time(s)

Renders.PNG

Screenshot from map test.PNG
 Description:
Map test
 Filesize:  850.78 KB
 Viewed:  14912 Time(s)

Screenshot from map test.PNG

ke_mechial

Rep: 89.1
votes: 2

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 11:44 pm Post subject: Re: 3D modelling for Close Combat Reply with quote

ScnelleMeyer wrote (View Post):
Replicate and Duplicate or Research and Development? Very Happy
Thanks anyway buddy

R&D for new ways of modding.

ScnelleMeyer

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 12:48 am Post subject: Re: 3D modelling for Close Combat Reply with quote

Vehicle modelling with Blender

AC.png
 Description:
Anyone recognice the model?
 Filesize:  13.75 KB
 Viewed:  14694 Time(s)

AC.png

ScnelleMeyer

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 1:16 am Post subject: Re: 3D modelling for Close Combat Reply with quote

Been experimenting with making new vehicle graphics from 3D models using blender and Photoshop/Gimp.
I am absolutely a beginner in 3D so there may be lots of better ways of doing this. The process varies if the model is textured or not.

A rough outline of the steps I use:

1. Import 3D model into blender
2. Render Hull and turret graphics on a transparent background with camera set to "Ortographic" (Top down)
- No lights in scene, I just set shadows to emit if the object has textures. If no textures are present I tweak the specular and diffuse values.
I set the render resolution to twice the final scale of the vehicle in Close combat.
3. I Import the Images to PS or Blender.
4. The greyscale images are first scaled to the game they are made for.
Then the High-Pass filter at around 0,5 is applied on a duplicate image, set to overlay. This is merged to the original, scaled render image.
A brightness/Contrast and/or a levels adjustment layer are used to define the shapes of the Hull and turret.
5. One or several colour layers is added with different layer modes to get the desired camouflage pattern.

Leo2A4 hullgreyscale.png
 Description:
The raw render from Blender
 Filesize:  28.48 KB
 Viewed:  14532 Time(s)

Leo2A4 hullgreyscale.png

Leo2A44.png
 Description:
Some adjustment needed still, but largely game ready.
 Filesize:  6.1 KB
 Viewed:  14532 Time(s)

Leo2A44.png

Pete

Rep: 118.1
votes: 12

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 12:22 am Post subject: Re: 3D modelling for Close Combat Reply with quote

Good looking vehicles SchnelleMeyer! Are you working on something particular?

Dulce Bellum Inexpertis
(War is delightful to those who have no experience of it.)
Our facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/buckandpete/
Our website: https://themodsection.net/

ScnelleMeyer

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 1:26 am Post subject: Re: 3D modelling for Close Combat Reply with quote

Thanks Pete! The Leopard image are mostly for working out and testing the process. But ofc there is always a posibility for implementing this one into CCMT.

ScnelleMeyer

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 4:56 pm Post subject: Re: 3D modelling for Close Combat Reply with quote

Making 3D buldings for maps. Various tests based on information from Koen and Buck Compton.
Top row of buildings does not have interior and the textures were applied in photoshop after rendering in Blender.
The bottom building was made with a simple interior, door and windows. - Textures were applied in Blender before rendering.

None of these are scaled properly for going into a map yet.

Collection of tests.jpg
 Description:
Progression from left to right. up to down
 Filesize:  596.63 KB
 Viewed:  14188 Time(s)

Collection of tests.jpg

ScnelleMeyer

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 1:28 am Post subject: Re: 3D modelling for Close Combat Reply with quote

Sketchup houses imported to Blender, scaled and rendered. Basic texturing done in PS.

Perspective view No texture.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  722.54 KB
 Viewed:  14127 Time(s)

Perspective view No texture.png

Perspective view basic texture.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.56 MB

Perspective view basic texture.png

Ortographic view roofing no-color.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  813.48 KB

Ortographic view roofing no-color.png

Ortographic view textured.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.15 MB
 Viewed:  14128 Time(s)

Ortographic view textured.png

mooxe

Rep: 221.1
votes: 25

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 1:38 am Post subject: Re: 3D modelling for Close Combat Reply with quote

Cool. The isometric view has always been best, especially when it comes to vehicles being tilted. Also comes into play when walls are impassable and you need to find entrances.

ScnelleMeyer

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 1:47 am Post subject: Re: 3D modelling for Close Combat Reply with quote

Yeah the Isometric or perspective view houses as seen on the classic maps made by Atomic are beautiful. Using 3D structures and Blender making buldings with this view or the purely top down can be done at will with just the push of a button in the camera inteface. Creating this in 2D with PS would be a major pain...

ScnelleMeyer

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 1:33 am Post subject: Re: 3D modelling for Close Combat Reply with quote

Hotel Olympic has been moved from the Mog to Stalingrad.

Hotell Olympic in Stalingrad.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.62 MB
 Viewed:  14082 Time(s)

Hotell Olympic in Stalingrad.png

southern_land

Rep: 155.2
votes: 14

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 2:29 am Post subject: Re: 3D modelling for Close Combat Reply with quote

ScnelleMeyer wrote (View Post):
Yeah the Isometric or perspective view houses as seen on the classic maps made by Atomic are beautiful. Using 3D structures and Blender making buldings with this view or the purely top down can be done at will with just the push of a button in the camera inteface. Creating this in 2D with PS would be a major pain...

They're a pita to try to match the floors to though

ScnelleMeyer

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 3:43 am Post subject: Re: 3D modelling for Close Combat Reply with quote

YES, I found that out too>)  
I took at a look at the originals and they have kind of square interiors originating on the base and the "back part" is ground texture.
My solution was simple, I did 2 renders  - 1 for iso and one Orto - or top down.  Then using the top down for the interior obviously.
More fiddling is necessary with ISO buildings in PS to line up the images and some scaling.

However ISO view should be used just for the larger or signature buldings on a map, That will cut down on worktime.  Looks like thats the way they did it at Atomic too.

Interior of town hall.png
 Description:
Very basic interior..
 Filesize:  309.3 KB
 Viewed:  14068 Time(s)

Interior of town hall.png

Post new topicReply to topic printer-friendly view Close Combat Series Forum Index -> Modding Workshop
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Jump to: