Welcome to Close Combat Series
  Login or Register Home  ·  Downloads  ·  Forums  ·  Combat Camera  ·  Help  

Survey
Do incapacitations count as a soldier's kills?

Yes
No

Results
Polls

Votes 1179
Comments: 1

Shout Box!!

Only registered users can shout. Please login or create an account.

Main Menu
Articles & News  
    Help
    Player`s News
    Site News
    Multiplayer
    Terrain Challenge
    Boot Camp
Community  
    Forums
    Downloads
    Combat Camera
    MOOXE @ Youtube
    Statistics
Members  
    Private Messages
    Your Account
    Logout

Donations
Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
12/18/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
11/08/2021

Anonymous - $15.00
04/09/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
04/05/2021

Anonymous - $20.00
02/20/2021

Anonymous - $10.00
12/29/2020

Anonymous - $1.00
11/06/2020

ZAPPI4 - $20.00
10/10/2020

Find our site useful? Make a small donation to show your support.

Search for at
Close Combat Series Advanced Search

Author
squatter

Rep: 15.2

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 9:33 pm Post subject: Most stable way to play CC H2H in 2016? Reply with quote

Hello all

I'm a CC veteran - played all versions through CC1 to LSA. But I haven't played for about six years. The main reason being was that I only play H2h with a buddy, and the last few versions of the game released by Matrix were incredibly unstable in multiplayer. Because we play campaigns, the multiple CTDs were a nightmare and just ruined the whole thing.

But the time for me to return to the series is now!

So my question is, which version of CC should I get hold of for stable multiplayer campaigns? The last properly stable version in my memory was really CC5, but SURELY Matrix aren't continuing to release unstable iterations of the same game at premium prices?!

Also, the ability to use mods would be great - I don't know if this affects the Steam versions at all?

Any advice would be hugely appreciated. I'll post this on the Matrix forums also.

Tejszd

Rep: 133.6
votes: 19

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 5:40 am Post subject: Re: Most stable way to play CC H2H in 2016? Reply with quote

Don't know if I would consider CC5 the last stable version, as it never received a fully tested patch before Atomic closed the doors. Out of the Atomic releases probably CC4 would be the latest stable release (but many preferred CC5 because CC4 had locked unit selection and small maps with poor protection by some entry VL's).

The Matrix releases are all based on the CC5 code thus the bugs in CC5 were carried forward. Many were fixed but some critical ones like crashes due to air strikes, morale break and hitting 0:00 at the end battle were not eliminated as supposedly they couldn't repeat them. After LSA Matrix switched to using their forum and servers for H2H play as Microsoft dropped direct play from Direct-X in Win10 (but you can install it manually for backwards compatibility).

TLD/WAR - are the closest to CC5 but with enhancements; BG can't move without fuel, BG's can be forced to retreat, random entry VL for paratroopers, night battles, etc. with many CC5 mods converted to it (or them as the last WAR patch added TLD features making them compatible for mods with the following limitations; you can not play the same mod on TLD against someone with WAR and the commander pics in WAR are different size than TLD).

LSA - has the most features; blowing bridges, stacked BG, etc. but because of clean up to data/graphic files along with changes in some calculations old mods need data and file changes to convert them which is a lot of work.

PitF - added some features; 32-bit graphics, fog (white layer over maps), forum/lobby for H2H and mount troops or guns on vehicles but removed using units from both BG's when stacked

GtC - added some features;  increased the map scale (larger graphics with more detail), increased # of units in battle to 21, rolling barrages and dug-in/camouflaged tanks and anti-tank guns but skimped on the # of maps with only 30

I have all the games but I'm not a fan of PitF and GtC because of the dependency on Matrix forum/servers. If Atomic did that with CC5 and earlier versions CC would have died when the company went out of business years ago.

Last edited by Tejszd on Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:21 am; edited 2 times in total

vobbnobb

Rep: 73
votes: 6

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 6:09 am Post subject: Re: Most stable way to play CC H2H in 2016? Reply with quote

if you're going to play multiplayer it's key you both have the same game version hopefully the latest and no mods (stock/vanilla) or if you do have mods they are installed on both sides or it will crash.

My WW2 CC Series TimeLine
http://tinyurl.com/n2vrec5

squatter

Rep: 15.2

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 11:00 pm Post subject: Re: Most stable way to play CC H2H in 2016? Reply with quote

Tejszd wrote (View Post):
Don't know if I would consider CC5 the last stable version, as it never received a fully tested patch before Atomic closed the doors. Out of the Atomic releases probably CC4 would be the latest stale release (but many preferred CC5 because CC4 had locked unit selection and small maps with poor protection by some entry VL's).

The Matrix releases are all based on the CC5 code thus the bugs in CC5 were carried forward. Many were fixed but some critical ones like crashes due to air strikes, morale break and hitting 0:00 at the end battle were not eliminated as supposedly they couldn't repeat them. After LSA Matrix switched to using their forum and servers for H2H play as Microsoft dropped direct play from Direct-X (Win10 doesn't install it but you can manually for backwards compatibility).

TLD/WAR - are the closest to CC5 but with enhancements; BG can't move without fuel, BG's can be forced to retreat, random entry VL for paratroopers, night battles, etc. with many CC5 mods converted to it (or them as the last WAR patch added TLD features making them compatible for mods with the following limitations; you can not play the same mod on TLD against someone with WAR and the commander pics in WAR are different size than TLD).

LSA - has the most features; blowing bridges, stacked BG, etc. but because of clean up to data/graphic files along with changes in some calculations old mods need data and file changes to convert them which is a lot of work.

PitF - added some features; 32-bit graphics, fog (white layer over maps), forum/lobby for H2H and mount troops or guns on vehicles but removed using units from both BG's when stacked

GtC - added some features;  increased the map scale (larger graphics with more detail), increased # of units in battle to 21, rolling barrages and dug-in/camouflaged tanks and anti-tank guns but skimped on the # of maps with only 30

I have all the games but I'm not a fan of PitF and GtC because of the dependency on Matrix forum/servers. If Atomic did that with CC5 and earlier versions CC would have died when the company went out of business years ago.

Thanks for the reply - really appreciate it. Plus, played your Meuse mod several times a few years ago H2H and we both thought it was superb. Would love to play that again.

So I got TLD running on my PC last night - in order to play it H2H on Windows 8/9 I'll have to manually install direct play?

Plus, is there any way to improve the size/resolution of the screen? No matter what I did to the resolution settings last night, the CC screen stayed the same size (even when I went windowed and increased the window size, the game area stayed the same).

mooxe

Rep: 221.1
votes: 25

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 11:44 pm Post subject: Re: Most stable way to play CC H2H in 2016? Reply with quote

Quote:
CC4 had locked unit selection and small maps with poor protection by some entry VL's

That's a good point of why some people didn't like it when it came out. Playing the CC4 GC with Michael last year though I learned to love it.. Your troops are selected for you and you have a small map to deploy on. Games happened so much quicker and we were able to play 4-6 games a night before burnout. That I would say is important now as the majority of online GCs never see through o the end of a campaign for a variety of reasons.

You should not have to install direct play to play any version of CC. Using the compatibility options should be enough.

TLD/LSA is probably your best bet for stable online play via GameRanger. CC5 may be your best option to find a partner though. I am logged into GR pretty constantly and still see more games for CC5 than others.

If the screen res will not budge with TLD try using the compatibility settings and setting it for Windows 7.

Steam mods are only applicable to GTC and PITF. Few exist though, and even fewer play them online. I would attempt to enjoy them in a single player setting. They are frustrating to teach someone to install.

Post new topicReply to topic printer-friendly view Close Combat Series Forum Index -> The Mess -> H2H Multiplayer

Jump to: