Welcome to Close Combat Series
  Login or Register Home  ·  Downloads  ·  Forums  ·  Combat Camera  ·  Help  

Survey
Do incapacitations count as a soldier's kills?

Yes
No

Results
Polls

Votes 1179
Comments: 1

Shout Box!!

Only registered users can shout. Please login or create an account.

Main Menu
Articles & News  
    Help
    Player`s News
    Site News
    Multiplayer
    Terrain Challenge
    Boot Camp
Community  
    Forums
    Downloads
    Combat Camera
    MOOXE @ Youtube
    Statistics
Members  
    Private Messages
    Your Account
    Logout

Donations
Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
12/18/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
11/08/2021

Anonymous - $15.00
04/09/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
04/05/2021

Anonymous - $20.00
02/20/2021

Anonymous - $10.00
12/29/2020

Anonymous - $1.00
11/06/2020

ZAPPI4 - $20.00
10/10/2020

Find our site useful? Make a small donation to show your support.

Search for at
Close Combat Series Advanced Search

Goto page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 9, 10, 11  Next
 Author
dj

Rep: 157.1
votes: 9

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 5:48 am Post subject: Re: What was your first wargame? Reply with quote

Love the old Avalon Hill games.  I remember years later a few were release for PC video game, but nothing is available any more?  Tried the old hex-based games too from Atomic but they are so old now, won't work.

Antony_nz

Rep: 83.9
votes: 6

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 3:24 am Post subject: Re: What was your first wargame? Reply with quote

Age of empires.
Or green toy soldiers outside.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website GameRanger Account

Oliver70

Rep: 0.9

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 6:59 pm Post subject: Re: What was your first wargame? Reply with quote

Battle for Britain on Amstrad CPC near 1987  Razz It was more an arcade game than a strategic game but i enjoyed it a lot. I still have memories of this game while listening to The Cure album 'The Head On The Door"... Damn it was a century ago  Very Happy

Command and Conqueer 1st version was probably my first PC wargame (or was it Red Baron II?)

Close Combat III was my first CC game. I never get used to CC2 after playing CC3.

WilliamTheSilent

Rep: 29.4

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 4:15 am Post subject: Re: What was your first wargame? Reply with quote

Battles of Napoleon SSI on Commodore 64

Zep

Rep: 51.1

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 5:43 am Post subject: Re: What was your first wargame? Reply with quote

Mine was Avalon Hill games. Squad Leader, Panzer Blitz, And the addons Very Happy

KG_Brandenburg

Rep: 24.5
votes: 1

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 4:30 pm Post subject: Re: What was your first wargame? Reply with quote

first boardgame was ether Dawn Patrol by TSR,Anzio 74' by avalon hill and Stratego by hasbro.. back around 82 /84

1st PC game was Close Combat III back in 99'

blinddog14

Rep: 30.4

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 6:21 pm Post subject: Re: What was your first wargame? Reply with quote

Squad leader... but in the early eighties I worked at a John Deere tractor supply that had an IBM system 23 with this kinda funky "star trek" game and my Dad had this "B-17 Bomber" game on his computer that kinda jazzed me up for computer games. But that first close combat game... whew... how many of you all still have your original disc?

blinddog14

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 6:22 pm Post subject: Re: What was your first wargame? Reply with quote

Oh, does "Risk" count?

mooxe

Rep: 221.1
votes: 25

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 6:50 pm Post subject: Re: What was your first wargame? Reply with quote

I had my original CC5 disk until 2004. Wife smashed it. She bought me a new one shortly after and had it since. Still have my original CC3/4 disks.

Introduced to Close Combat on a peace keeping mission in 1998/99. A guy in the CP showed me CC3 and how awesome it was to drop mortars on troops. Bought the game as soon as deployment was over.

blinddog14

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 7:55 pm Post subject: Re: What was your first wargame? Reply with quote

My CC1 disc is a Christmas ornament at this point... as a kid from the sixties growing up on military posts we had good old army men and bb guns... G.I. Joe and Major Matt Mason. Those and a fertile imagination... and well, do dirt clod wars count?

longnez

Rep: 47.1

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 3:24 pm Post subject: Re: What was your first wargame? Reply with quote

The arrival of my 1st PC made me discover CCIII and its wonderful innovations that brought this magnificent STR. I will never forget our wonder, my kid and i when we played this game the first time (exclamations in Russian, English (we're french), German voices and sounds of guns and canons etc ...).
I never got tired of this game that i didn't find in the others séries parts of COI. Unfortunately, since installing W10, i can't play it (i have this error message that applies: application error. The application failed to start correctly (oxc000022) ... If someone could help me, that would be great. Tks all.

mick_xe5

Rep: 19.4
votes: 5

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 6:37 pm Post subject: Re: What was your first wargame? Reply with quote

longnez wrote (View Post):
...Unfortunately, since installing W10, i can't play it (i have this error message that applies: application error. The application failed to start correctly (oxc000022) ... If someone could help me, that would be great. Tks all.
Try right-clicking on Program Files/Microsoft Games/Close Combat III/CC3.exe and select 'Run as administrator'

reconscout

Rep: 60.5

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 8:40 pm Post subject: Re: What was your first wargame? Reply with quote

My 1st PC was a TRS-80 III by Tandy back in 1982, they had several games out by Avalon Hill for it but most games back then consisted of Xs and Os chasing each other firing - at each other but one was like Panzerblitz and had German and Russian tanks game pieces on a board and the computer would decide the battle. I still have those games and computer somewhere in my basement. When I bought my 1st Windows 98 based computer,one of the 1st games I tried was Close Combat.

that which does not kill you makes you stronger

longnez

Rep: 47.1

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 9:17 pm Post subject: Re: What was your first wargame? Reply with quote

mick_xe5 wrote (View Post):
longnez wrote (View Post):
...Unfortunately, since installing W10, i can't play it (i have this error message that applies: application error. The application failed to start correctly (oxc000022) ... If someone could help me, that would be great. Tks all.
Try right-clicking on Program Files/Microsoft Games/Close Combat III/CC3.exe and select 'Run as administrator'

I've already tried this solution but it still does't work.

JFFulcrum

Rep: 77.5

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 8:02 pm Post subject: Re: What was your first wargame? Reply with quote

My first was someone from Battle Isle series in early of 90`s. But the game that leads me to CCs was now forgotten Iron Cross (1994). It had nearly all the features (force purchasing before battle, realtime action, infantry hiding in destructible buildings, off-map air&artillery support, detailed debriefs), but graphics quality was just bad and controls was a headache. It also suffers from too big maps, so you easily can spend an hour to just reach the enemy (some maps in CCGtC are that bad big too). So first CC was a brilliant after it.

Nacho78Arg

Rep: 9.5

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:24 pm Post subject: Re: What was your first wargame? Reply with quote

Believe it or not, my first wargame was the close combat 1 demo back in 1997. Until then I only played DOOM, Transport Tycoon and Carmen Sandiego

ke_mechial

Rep: 89.1
votes: 2

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 8:57 am Post subject: Re: What was your first wargame? Reply with quote

I recently wanted to check Steel Panthers again and found out, there is now a free version Steel Panthers: Main Battle Tank(MBT) from camo workshop with free updates.

http://www.shrapnelgames.com/Camo_Workshop/MBT/MBT_page.html

Besides, Steel Panthers: World at War is available free from Matrix Games with updates.

http://www.matrixgames.com/products/297/downloads/

These  games all together give me a nice flavor of all the battles fought in 20th Century with realistic scenarios based on references (check the bottom of scenario descriptions.) They are even just good to check Encyclopedia of Weapons for different Nations, if you are a arms enthusiastic like me Very Happy

Nembo

Rep: 36.7

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 2:14 pm Post subject: Re: What was your first wargame? Reply with quote

My first war game was Civil War General, think I still have the cardboard keyboard command sheet that came with the game somewhere. My first war game I played online was Close Combat 2.

chessmaster

Rep: 33.1

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:31 am Post subject: Re: What was your first wargame? Reply with quote

Wolfenstein 3D in MSDOS :p

Also played a Civil War Game in DOS, with dices

good times Smile

Part of being a commander is knowing when to smile, make the troops happy
even if it is the last thing in the world you want to do

gravyface

Rep: 0.7

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:45 am Post subject: Re: What was your first wargame? Reply with quote

Ancient Art of War, circa 1984.  Had it on a Compaq IBM XT clone.

Post new topicReply to topic printer-friendly view Close Combat Series Forum Index -> The Mess
Goto page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 9, 10, 11  Next

Jump to: