Welcome to Close Combat Series
  Login or Register Home  ·  Downloads  ·  Forums  ·  Combat Camera  ·  Help  

Survey
Do incapacitations count as a soldier's kills?

Yes
No

Results
Polls

Votes 1179
Comments: 1

Shout Box!!

Only registered users can shout. Please login or create an account.

Main Menu
Articles & News  
    Help
    Player`s News
    Site News
    Multiplayer
    Terrain Challenge
    Boot Camp
Community  
    Forums
    Downloads
    Combat Camera
    MOOXE @ Youtube
    Statistics
Members  
    Private Messages
    Your Account
    Logout

Donations
Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
12/18/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
11/08/2021

Anonymous - $15.00
04/09/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
04/05/2021

Anonymous - $20.00
02/20/2021

Anonymous - $10.00
12/29/2020

Anonymous - $1.00
11/06/2020

ZAPPI4 - $20.00
10/10/2020

Find our site useful? Make a small donation to show your support.

Search for at
Close Combat Series Advanced Search

Author
mick_xe5

Rep: 19.4
votes: 5

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 12:22 am Post subject: One map operations Reply with quote

After playing with TIK's Small Maps mod it occured that single maps could be sliced into smaller sections and linked into an op suitable for platoon-company sized manuevers. So I cut PITF's Pontaubalt into 3 overlapping pieces at the tile dimensions shown.

After fine tuning the exit VLs and extending the map overlap on map 3, the resulting op with a reinforced Brit btn BG attacking south fromthe NW corner of map 1 against several plt sized German BGs works remarkably well with a true sense the op covers contiguous map areas.

ScnelleMeyer

Rep: 190.3
votes: 18

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 12:31 am Post subject: Re: One map operations Reply with quote

Outstanding idea! I really want to try it out.
AI flaws will not be as prominent on these ultra small maps.

So is there any chance of you uploading this OP with the cut down map?

mick_xe5

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 1:10 am Post subject: Re: One map operations Reply with quote

By spoofing UnitStructure.txt its possible to make all 21 slots available to as few as 21 one soldier teams.

Those one man Replacement soldaten in the forcepool are full companies as far as UnitStructure.txt is concerned. Note the forcepool roster accomodates up to 10 teams per platoon rather than 7. Higher difficulty levels trim a 10 team platoon down to fewer teams but at Line diff. youll get 9 or 10. Only the first 7 are added to the active roster but the remaining teams automatically fill in the gaps and are used after that platoon takes losses.

Opening seconds of an intense battle on the middle map:

I .zipped the 3 Pontaubalt maps set up to replace la Gaule Orchards (map06), Point 100 (map09) and Mouen (map13) maps in GTC. They dont connect to all original adjacent GTC maps so use them together when creating an op in the editor. My plan is to do a mod without a grand campaign, just ~30 maps designed for single battles or linked as small ops where the VL placements and values work to make hot battles and stock victory conditions that are actually applicable to the results. I prefer the PITF & LSA maps for their visual style and denser terrain features. eg. Mortain carves up nicely into a 4 map op.

GameRat

Rep: 44.8
votes: 2

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 1:38 am Post subject: Re: One map operations Reply with quote

good idea ... and nice work. Something I'm interested to try when I get some free time

mick_xe5

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 1:42 am Post subject: Re: One map operations Reply with quote

Mortain (20x20) as four 11x11 maps with a 1 tile overlap on each map:

mick_xe5

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 1:45 am Post subject: Re: One map operations Reply with quote

GameRat wrote (View Post):
good idea ... and nice work. Something I'm interested to try when I get some free time
Samo with GJSv.8 Smile

ScnelleMeyer

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 4:23 am Post subject: Re: One map operations Reply with quote

I like your idea a lot mick! - I have playtestet the maps you attached here and it was really a fun game.

It seams map 6 is the original size - cool if you could add the small one - Else I could just wait for your full mod:)

mick_xe5

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 9:03 am Post subject: Re: One map operations Reply with quote

Zipped the wrong map06 files. Correct files here. Map06 provides an interesting tactical challenge. Do you contest the main VL at the top, fight a defense in depth from prepared positions along the road & RR down the middle, hunker down and hope for the best in the valley between the road&RR at the bottom, or withdraw south to map09.

Interested to discover that LSA's dual exit VLs (eg. to Son North/to Son South) still work to provide two connections between the same maps. ie. maps 2 & 3 above could connect at each bridge. If a map1.btd has two VLs pointing at map2 the game links the first of those two VLs with the first exit VL pointing at map1 in map2.btd. Deployment via a dual exit VLs is handled normally. In a test both the AI and my BGs simultaneously used a dual exit VL to move from map2 to 3. A new wrinkle to employ in map and scenario design.

ScnelleMeyer

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 9:03 pm Post subject: Re: One map operations Reply with quote

Played through an OP from the German side now, using company size Ersatz units and I lost the OP quite easily to the AI.

On the last map - the town part - The Brit AI did not want to attack all the way to my exit VL in the West. It was very content at owning the center VLs - On those he counterattacked viciously with infantry supported by tanks
Do you think more German VLs along the West edge of the map would cause the Brit AI to attack further just as strong?

mick_xe5

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 10:30 pm Post subject: Re: One map operations Reply with quote

Yeah, the CC AI suffers from Dunkirk syndrome when it comes to VLs. It doesnt go for the jugular by seizing all exit VLs. That VL in question points to a map not included in the op so the AI possibly sees no strategic benefit in going after it even though doing so might be the difference between a total vs major victory in the op.

What can be done  to alter the AIs behavior is to stack a 3pt VL on top of a 1pt exit VL. If the stacked 3pt VL is named- . -then it will still look like a std exit VL on-map but actually be worth 4pts (3+1).

in your case the edited map13.btd would look like-
[existing exit VL] To Coleville 50 0 1 12
[added major VL] . 200 0 1 -1
-with the new 3pt VL sharing the 0,1 tile.

You can stack multiple VLs so the main objective on a map is worth 10pts (3+3+2+2) instead of the usual 3. This is also a way to make a map more valuable without making more locations into VLs. VL locations and values have a large affect on the map control algorithm that assigns deploy areas to BGs both entering and controlling the map.

ScnelleMeyer

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 4:48 am Post subject: Re: One map operations Reply with quote

I knew about the stacking of VL values from working on converting the CC4 Kreta mod to LSA where up to 3 major Vls were stacked. - I just had a brain fart here and forgot about it.

I will try stacking on that exit VL and see how that goes. Thanks

michazech

Rep: 9.7

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 10:47 pm Post subject: Re: One map operations Reply with quote

Is there any chance to get a VL-Changing-tool for -Gateway to Caen-
How i explained already in Forum -Gateway to Caen Maps- is there a little confusion in the different Exits of the Colleville Map and I am interessed  to fix it on my own and make some other changes about VLs

Thanks!

Post new topicReply to topic printer-friendly view Close Combat Series Forum Index -> Close Combat Gateway to Caen

Jump to: