Welcome to Close Combat Series
  Login or Register Home  ·  Downloads  ·  Forums  ·  Combat Camera  ·  Help  

Survey
Do incapacitations count as a soldier's kills?

Yes
No

Results
Polls

Votes 1179
Comments: 1

Shout Box!!

Only registered users can shout. Please login or create an account.

Main Menu
Articles & News  
    Help
    Player`s News
    Site News
    Multiplayer
    Terrain Challenge
    Boot Camp
Community  
    Forums
    Downloads
    Combat Camera
    MOOXE @ Youtube
    Statistics
Members  
    Private Messages
    Your Account
    Logout

Donations
Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
12/18/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
11/08/2021

Anonymous - $15.00
04/09/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
04/05/2021

Anonymous - $20.00
02/20/2021

Anonymous - $10.00
12/29/2020

Anonymous - $1.00
11/06/2020

ZAPPI4 - $20.00
10/10/2020

Find our site useful? Make a small donation to show your support.

Search for at
Close Combat Series Advanced Search

Goto page Previous  1, 2
 Author
ScnelleMeyer

Rep: 190.3
votes: 18

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 6:41 pm Post subject: Re: Battle of the Rhineland mod beta self installer file rea Reply with quote

Ok, I can take a look at the explosion file you were using when this occured.

If I got it right you are using the LSA v.1.1?

Pete

Rep: 118.1
votes: 12

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 11:11 pm Post subject: Re: Battle of the Rhineland mod beta self installer file rea Reply with quote

I would also like to know what it is that blew up or caught fire but I am still on vacation and cannot look at the map in detail. Will have a look later this weekend.

Dulce Bellum Inexpertis
(War is delightful to those who have no experience of it.)
Our facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/buckandpete/
Our website: https://themodsection.net/

salhexe

Rep: 70.1
votes: 6

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 4:50 pm Post subject: Re: Battle of the Rhineland mod beta self installer file rea Reply with quote

Yes use lsa gtc 1.1 and to Pete, I did not notice at the time of the incident but the soldiers were under tough shot of mortars.

RD_Cobalth-77

Rep: 15.3

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 9:50 pm Post subject: Re: Battle of the Rhineland mod beta self installer file rea Reply with quote

Hello, I just finished a GC against the AI, playing Allies.

°We all know how bad the AI is, so finishing the whole GC in a few days is no accomplishment.
The sad thing is that I almost only played on the first (=entering) maps, because when you take a map, your opponent loses the whole BG.
This is the fault of LSA, because it is the same there. Can't understand that it is possible to loose a whole BG like that when it was in full supply.
I should say the BG moves 1 map backwards. But, again, nothing new here.

°I put my screen resolution on 1900x1020, but it doesn't seem to work on all maps?

°I noticed some wrong pictures of weapons when picking my troops:
 *German side: - Grenadiere (MG) has a MGun  picture for the "Geballte ladung"
                     - 12 cm granatwerfer has no picture

*Allied side:    - US M36 TD has a machinegun picture instead of a gun
                     - The M1917A1MMG has a mortar picture instead of a MG

°You can find a lot of "Weapon pits" (often with a victory location and a "name" + bunker) on the maps. But I was unable to go "on" or "in" them.
 I don't understand what is the use for them.

°I played on one of the most east maps ("Fort Blucher"), there is a big bunker in the ground. The western part of it is strange.
 I deployed some infantry in it, but I could not move them for the complete game. And other units of infantry can't get in.
 But it is possible to move troops in the eastern part (on the other side of the road)  of the bunker.

That's it. Thank you very much for this mod.

Pete

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:15 am Post subject: Re: Battle of the Rhineland mod beta self installer file rea Reply with quote

Thanks Cobalth for your comments.
The incorrect weapons pictures will be changed in the final version.
The weapon pits errors is something I was not aware of and will have to have a look at .
I can not repeat your resolution error because my monitor does not support that resolution. Perhaps Buck can. Which maps did you experience problems with?
Movement in the Fort Blucher bunkers is difficult because the passageways in the bunkers are only 1 element wide. Widening to 2 elements should improve that and I will put it on the list of to do things.
I don't understand your comment regarding playing only on the first maps of the GC though. I believe there are static bg's on those maps and they can be overcome in 1 or 2 turns. I timed the arrival of follow up battle groups taking this into account, meaning that an aggressive fighting style will result in moving on to the next maps where other battle groups arrive. Also there are more battle groups arriving at a later stage. If you only played the American campaign I can somewhat understand your comment as historically, the 'start' maps were the most heavily contested areas. After that it was a race to the north.
I will see what I can do about the disbanding of battle groups.

Did you only play a GC and which one was it?

Dulce Bellum Inexpertis

RD_Cobalth-77

Rep: 15.3

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 2:41 pm Post subject: Re: Battle of the Rhineland mod beta self installer file rea Reply with quote

°About the resolution (I used 1900x1200, not 1900x1020) I believe it has to do with how big the maps are.
On "Reichswald north" I have only 800x600, but that is a small (not high) map. There are more maps (like "Sonsbeck) I have about 1280x960.
Only on the real big maps I get 1900x1200.

°It was the Grand Campaign H2H. I know it is not ment to play against the AI. But I tried it anyway.
First I played the first day on the German side. But because on some maps (I remember on "Linnich Crossing north") the AI didn't do anything at all, I started the GC on the Allied side.

°And writing this (playing on the German side) I remember I forgot something to tell everyone I didn't notice before.
I hope I'm not the last one to notice this, I never read about it anywhere.
The AI in this mod (and probably in other mods or CC games too?) knows your deploy before the game starts.
When I played the "Huckelhoven Crossing" map as the Germans, I had an airplane crash. So played the map again. And used almost the same deploy.
The AI had put a US M36TD at the same spot too (just out of reach of my 7,5 Pak). I had again a crash. The third deploy I placed my gun closer (not really fair, is it?) to the Allied tank, and started up the game.
The AI had placed the tank further away of my gun, and out of reach again. I had to stop the game because had to leave for work.
The next day I played this map for the fourth time, and used the first deploy (of my gun) again. The Allied tank was also back on the first spot.
And then I tried the two different deploys again and again. And all the deploys of my gun and the Allied tank were always the same, the tank always out of my reach.
Anyone noticed this before?

°Back to the GC again. Well Pete, I played with morale on, 20 mins. There were a few maps, "Schophoven Crossing", I could get the Germans of the map the first day.
 But on "Reichwald north"and "Huckelhoven crossing" it took my days to get them off. "Reichwald north" is a long, narrow map with 15 VL's. The first day I could take a few extra VL's, but the next days it was very heavy fighting.
Only took 3 tanks, to have 2 heavy mortars. But my tanks could hardly move on the very muddy ground, and the Germans had some nasty Stugs and 88's at the back of the map where I couldn't see them.
It is very hard to get LOS on anything. And it seemed that the German guns had LOS all the time. And when I made some results the morale kicked in, giving me one or two VL's more.
On other maps I could advance to the next map, where a lighter German BG was waiting. When I got those off, a German Panzer Bg with Panthers attacked me on the same map.
And then it was no laugh anymore. Those Panthers bite you know!! You have to fight them with 7,5 cm and 17P guns.
So I played a lot on the first and second maps. But after a couple of days It was just a walk to the north-east, where I got a few more fights with upcoming German BG's (like on "Fort Blucher").
But if you don't loose your BG when you loose a map, then it would be something else I believe.

°Am I right that the AI on the German side gets more tanks and stuff, than when I played the German side? Or do I mixe up some German BG's?

°Later on I played the "Panzer vs Sherman" Operation as German. But that was a kind of duck shooting. A few big maps with plenty of LOS on the deploy zone of the Allies.
All those Allied men dying in there tanks and armoured cars, while only a few German tankcrews loading and firing shell after shell out off the big cats.

I hope I could give you a bit more to understand what I mean.
Again thank you for this great mod. And what I don't understand, when and how did you guys make these awsome maps?

Pete

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 6:27 pm Post subject: Re: Battle of the Rhineland mod beta self installer file rea Reply with quote

Thanks for your extensive reply RD_Cobalth-77. I find other player's view of our mods interesting and helpful.
One of the biggest challenges of data modding is in my opinion designing campaigns that strike a balance between historical facts , the limits of the game and the way the game is being played. Personally, I find the AI not always easy to overcome in 1 battle, certainly not on big maps with the timer on 15 or 20 minutes, but most of the time it is doable and I know that many other players manage as well. So bearing that in mind I time the arrival of follow-up battle groups. For 'Grenade' this means using static battle groups on the start maps, follow up bg's to arrive 1 or 2 turns later on the map behind it, or just place slower bg's there. The next turn you move onto the next map and assault a new map . Historically, the Americans only met considerable resistance the first few days after they crossed the river Rur. After that it was effectively over and they met only piecemeal and disorganized resistance that had the nature of delaying actions. It seems your GC roughly followed the same pattern.
Anyway, we all know that against the AI it is best to play offensively, in terms of gaming experience. Against the AI I play with  morale off, which has tactical and strategical implications.

Your observation of the AI deployment is new to me, but I don't play maps 4 times in a row.
I am surprised to hear about your crashes. I don't recall the last crash I had, but I certainly had very few.
AI does not get more tanks . This is not something that I can influence in the forcepools. It is handled by the difficulty settings. In this beta however I believe I have set everything to '1', so no modifier.

Buck has done a great job on these maps !  A few years back there were a few months when he was churning out 1 map per week.

Dulce Bellum Inexpertis

reconscout

Rep: 60.5

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 1:47 am Post subject: Re: Battle of the Rhineland mod beta self installer file rea Reply with quote

Thank you Pete!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

that which does not kill you makes you stronger

TWJunky

Rep: 24.3

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:43 pm Post subject: Re: Battle of the Rhineland mod beta self installer file rea Reply with quote

Hi guys! whgen are you planing oin releaseing the next update?

Pete

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:10 pm Post subject: Re: Battle of the Rhineland mod beta self installer file rea Reply with quote

TWJunky wrote (View Post):
Hi guys! whgen are you planing oin releaseing the next update?

Why do you think you need an update? Did you play the mod and finish a campaign? If so, what should be updated in order for you to replay that campaign?

Dulce Bellum Inexpertis

TWJunky

Rep: 24.3

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:54 am Post subject: Re: Battle of the Rhineland mod beta self installer file rea Reply with quote

Starting with the fact that the mod was labeld as v. 0.99 makes me belive that there is more to come. Second there are still some placeholder graphics like an mg 42 as shaped charges. this is very apparent right form the start of the mod. also sounds seem to be off with some weapons as well. it would be shame if this fantastic mod wouldnt be continued.

Pete

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:54 pm Post subject: Re: Battle of the Rhineland mod beta self installer file rea Reply with quote

The thing is that in the past 4 months the beta was only downloaded 130 or so times. The response to the release has also been low in terms of different people commenting on the mod. That being said, the time mods are made for large audiences is over and it is now about the personal satisfaction that we modmakers get out of it.  The improvements that can be made are cosmetic which is because we don't release half-finished mods. The reason for releasing this 98% finished mod as a 'beta' was mostly because I didnot feel like going over the forcepools again and we had already commenced work on the next project.
So, for the time being we will not be updating the mod.
I appreciate you taking an interest though.

Dulce Bellum Inexpertis

mooxe

Rep: 221.1
votes: 25

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:09 pm Post subject: Re: Battle of the Rhineland mod beta self installer file rea Reply with quote

Pete wrote (View Post):
The thing is that in the past 4 months the beta was only downloaded 130 or so times. The response to the release has also been low in terms of different people commenting on the mod. That being said, the time mods are made for large audiences is over and it is now about the personal satisfaction that we modmakers get out of it.  The improvements that can be made are cosmetic which is because we don't release half-finished mods. The reason for releasing this 98% finished mod as a 'beta' was mostly because I didnot feel like going over the forcepools again and we had already commenced work on the next project.

Its true Pete. The community is mostly dead now. Only the die hards left!

Hicks

Rep: 31.6
votes: 2

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:22 pm Post subject: Re: Battle of the Rhineland mod beta self installer file rea Reply with quote

Pete wrote (View Post):

For what it is worth there are so many mods for CC titles and as much as I'm slowly playing them I'm tinkering with sound and visuals for them. I've started Rhineland '45 but with so many ongoing campaigns across different mods I can only go at such a speed  Wink Please do know that your efforts are appreciated though and I'm looking forward to Dieppe Very Happy

tycoon1969

Rep: 0.1

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 4:00 am Post subject: Re: Battle of the Rhineland mod beta self installer file rea Reply with quote

Thanks for all the hard work, I really enjoy the mod! Is there a full campaign to play human vs. AI?

Pete

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 6:51 pm Post subject: Re: Battle of the Rhineland mod beta self installer file rea Reply with quote

mooxe wrote (View Post):
Pete wrote (View Post):

Its true Pete. The community is mostly dead now. Only the die hards left!

So true. But, as I have said before, it takes just 2 people to form a community and as long as Buck and myself are happy at modding we will continue to do so.

Dulce Bellum Inexpertis

Pete

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 6:54 pm Post subject: Re: Battle of the Rhineland mod beta self installer file rea Reply with quote

Hicks wrote (View Post):
Pete wrote (View Post):

For what it is worth there are so many mods for CC titles and as much as I'm slowly playing them I'm tinkering with sound and visuals for them. I've started Rhineland '45 but with so many ongoing campaigns across different mods I can only go at such a speed  Wink Please do know that your efforts are appreciated though and I'm looking forward to Dieppe Very Happy

Sure, I realize that there are hundreds of mods out there and I am not claiming people should be playing our mods but what I meant is that for a handful of people I will not be prioritizing updating a mostly bugfree and well playable mod.

Dulce Bellum Inexpertis

Pete

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 6:55 pm Post subject: Re: Battle of the Rhineland mod beta self installer file rea Reply with quote

tycoon1969 wrote (View Post):
Thanks for all the hard work, I really enjoy the mod! Is there a full campaign to play human vs. AI?

To be honest I can't tell you right now because since I bought a windows 10 pc 2 months ago I have not been able to get LSA working.

Dulce Bellum Inexpertis

mooxe

Rep: 221.1
votes: 25

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 7:22 pm Post subject: Re: Battle of the Rhineland mod beta self installer file rea Reply with quote

I have been seeing a bunch of CC5 games hosted on GR lately though. Lazypike and I have just started an Ortona GC, hope to make it thru and give an AAR.

Pete

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 8:16 pm Post subject: Re: Battle of the Rhineland mod beta self installer file rea Reply with quote

That would be great Mooxe!

Dulce Bellum Inexpertis

Post new topicThis topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. printer-friendly view Close Combat Series Forum Index -> Mods by Buck and Pete -> Rhineland '45
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Jump to: