Welcome to Close Combat Series
  Login or Register Home  ·  Downloads  ·  Forums  ·  Combat Camera  ·  Help  

Survey
Do incapacitations count as a soldier's kills?

Yes
No

Results
Polls

Votes 1179
Comments: 1

Shout Box!!

Only registered users can shout. Please login or create an account.

Main Menu
Articles & News  
    Help
    Player`s News
    Site News
    Multiplayer
    Terrain Challenge
    Boot Camp
Community  
    Forums
    Downloads
    Combat Camera
    MOOXE @ Youtube
    Statistics
Members  
    Private Messages
    Your Account
    Logout

Donations
Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
12/18/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
11/08/2021

Anonymous - $15.00
04/09/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
04/05/2021

Anonymous - $20.00
02/20/2021

Anonymous - $10.00
12/29/2020

Anonymous - $1.00
11/06/2020

ZAPPI4 - $20.00
10/10/2020

Find our site useful? Make a small donation to show your support.

Search for at
Close Combat Series Advanced Search

Author
Aetius

Rep: 89.2
votes: 4

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:23 am Post subject: campaign crash Reply with quote

I have a campaign crash.
When i press the execute button of this turn the game stops working and closes, even without making moves.

Can someone check if this campaign crashes on their install of the rhineland mod?

Thanks

Grand Campaign H2Hb.zip.zip
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  Grand Campaign H2Hb.zip.zip
 Filesize:  176.36 KB
 Downloaded:  535 Time(s)

Pete

Rep: 118.1
votes: 12

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 5:20 pm Post subject: Re: campaign crash Reply with quote

I have the same crash. Not sure what I could do about this.

Dulce Bellum Inexpertis
(War is delightful to those who have no experience of it.)
Our facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/buckandpete/
Our website: https://themodsection.net/

ScnelleMeyer

Rep: 190.3
votes: 18

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 5:29 pm Post subject: Re: campaign crash Reply with quote

Crashes in my installation too. - Dont think I've ever had a crash in the Stratmap screen in LSA before..

Pete

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 7:56 pm Post subject: Re: campaign crash Reply with quote

ScnelleMeyer wrote (View Post):
Crashes in my installation too. - Dont think I've ever had a crash in the Stratmap screen in LSA before..

Neither have I  and I haven't in this mod either. I am not sure how I would be able to reciprocate this error. I could try copying your progress on the stratmap in a new campaign file but still that does not take into account unit losses and battle group compositions.

Dulce Bellum Inexpertis

Aetius

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 4:34 am Post subject: Re: campaign crash Reply with quote

Thanks for checking,
Was what i've feared camaign is corrupted for some reason.
Unfortunately i made zero backup of my campaign  Crying or Very sad

Nothing i can do but start campaign from scratch i guess (and backup regularly this time).

ScnelleMeyer

Rep: 190.3
votes: 18

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 2:05 pm Post subject: Re: campaign crash Reply with quote

Aetius - you could try asking Steve on the Matrix forums if he has any idea what could cause a campign file crash like this - even if its from a mod.

Aetius

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 5:09 am Post subject: Re: campaign crash Reply with quote

Thanks for the tip ScnelleMeyer,

I'll ask him to take a look.

Pete

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 3:58 pm Post subject: Re: campaign crash Reply with quote

I have no idea what could be causing campaign crashes like this one but looking at the contested maps I wouldn't be surprised if the lack of deployment space on Weeze is a problem. Another issue I noticed is that each time when opening the file I get variances with German battle group deployment. I just opened the file twice and the first time there was no 20. FJR bg on the map Kleve-Gennep Road and no 24 FJR on the St. Toenisberg map. Also, 959 GR on the Julich Crossing map seems to have less supply the second time opening. Funnily enough, this bg is linked to an allied supply depot and I would expect them to have a fuel supply.
3rd time I open the file and the 2 aforementioned FJR bg's are gone. Now I have again different German bg's entering on different maps...

Dulce Bellum Inexpertis

Aetius

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 6:11 am Post subject: Re: campaign crash Reply with quote

Indeed Weeze german deployment zone is tiny, i "switched sides" using the save game editor so i could move the german bg.
But I can execute the turn from the german side even without moving the german bg at Weeze.
After executing turn i  "switched sides" again so i'm playing as the allies again to resume my campaign.

Uberdave

Rep: 26.9

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 7:37 am Post subject: Re: campaign crash Reply with quote

Wish I checked here first. Posted this issue in another forum. I have the same exact crash, late in the GC...near victory...hit execute and it's all gone.

Aetius

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 8:33 am Post subject: Re: campaign crash Reply with quote

I think i figured out what happened in the crash.
Several german BG's are coded as formation 8, but 8 doesn't exist in the formations table.
For some reason the game couldn't give heavy arty support to german BG's belonging to formation 8 not connected to a german supply depot.
Normally a popup shows up explaining arty support cannot be done on this map...etc, but in this case the game just crashes.

Aetius

Jatke

Rep: 69.7
votes: 7

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:10 am Post subject: Re: campaign crash Reply with quote

The duration and level of file forensics involved here deserves an award of Bug Hunter Gold Cross.

Pete

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 1:07 pm Post subject: Re: campaign crash Reply with quote

Aetius wrote (View Post):
I think i figured out what happened in the crash.
Several german BG's are coded as formation 8, but 8 doesn't exist in the formations table.
For some reason the game couldn't give heavy arty support to german BG's belonging to formation 8 not connected to a german supply depot.
Normally a popup shows up explaining arty support cannot be done on this map...etc, but in this case the game just crashes.

Aetius

Great find Aetius. Amazing that you narrowed it down to that level of detail. Thank you!

Dulce Bellum Inexpertis

Aetius

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 3:15 pm Post subject: Re: campaign crash Reply with quote

Actually it wasn't that difficult to find.
The campaign crashed when i was playing the allies, i "switched sides" with the "save game editor" tool to see if it crashed as germans, it didn't.
I continued the campaign as germans to see if it crashed again, while dragging the arty support icon to certain BG's that where out of supply for some i got the "bg out of supply error message" for others the game crashed.
I then checked what these "crashed BG's" had in common in the BGroups.txt, all had the 8 as formation number so i opened up formation.txt and discovered the error.

I would have never been able to investigate this without the "save game editor", great tool.

Aetius

Pete

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 7:56 pm Post subject: Re: campaign crash Reply with quote

So, if I understand you well you were able to adjust the error and continue with the campaign? Which file did you adjust?

Dulce Bellum Inexpertis

Tejszd

Rep: 133.6
votes: 19

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 5:18 am Post subject: Re: campaign crash Reply with quote

Great job troubleshooting!

Aetius

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:54 am Post subject: Re: campaign crash Reply with quote

I've adjusted the BGroups.txt file, every german BG with 8 in "parent formation" (column4) is changed to 6

Unfortunately changing the BGroups.txt file and resuming the campaign doesn't stop the crash.
I suspect all data is recorded from the data txt files at the start of the saved campaign and cannot be changed after creation of the saved game (unless you know the offset in the hex file).

I created a campaign with the scenario editor to test the new "parent formation" BG's when out of supply and no more crashes when assigning arty support.

Aetius

Post new topicReply to topic printer-friendly view Close Combat Series Forum Index -> Mods by Buck and Pete -> Rhineland '45

Jump to: