Welcome to Close Combat Series
  Login or Register Home  ·  Downloads  ·  Forums  ·  Combat Camera  ·  Help  

Survey
Do incapacitations count as a soldier's kills?

Yes
No

Results
Polls

Votes 1179
Comments: 1

Shout Box!!

Only registered users can shout. Please login or create an account.

Main Menu
Articles & News  
    Help
    Player`s News
    Site News
    Multiplayer
    Terrain Challenge
    Boot Camp
Community  
    Forums
    Downloads
    Combat Camera
    MOOXE @ Youtube
    Statistics
Members  
    Private Messages
    Your Account
    Logout

Donations
Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
12/18/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
11/08/2021

Anonymous - $15.00
04/09/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
04/05/2021

Anonymous - $20.00
02/20/2021

Anonymous - $10.00
12/29/2020

Anonymous - $1.00
11/06/2020

ZAPPI4 - $20.00
10/10/2020

Find our site useful? Make a small donation to show your support.

Search for at
Close Combat Series Advanced Search

Author

Awesome!
Good
76%
 76%  [ 13 ]
Undecided
17%
 17%  [ 3 ]
Bad
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Terrible!
5%
 5%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 17

alienzombie101

Rep: 17.2
votes: 2

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 3:43 am Post subject: Combat Operations Mod (COM) PiTF Edition, V1.5 RELEASED! Reply with quote

I've been playing this series since I was a kid. From the first one on up. I was playing around with the PiTF text files and figured I might as well do something with this newfound knowledge and familiar nostalgia. I designed the mod to be more like historical infantry squads. The American squads are more developed (obviously) because there's more existing knowledge for them. I based the German squads on whatever knowledge I could find, as limited as it may be.

Real quick, too, guys - this is the most realistic version to date. It was designed to be as close a simulation as possible to the reality of combat in WW2, down to the millimeter in armor thickness.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

TAKEN DIRECTLY FROM THE "CHANGES" TEXT FILE IN THE ZIP:

This mod was not designed to be something I thought was cool, though I really do think its badass. It was designed to be historically accurate. I haven't added bigger teams or anything because that is outside the tactical scope of the game itself. The game was designed to operate under a by platoon command strucutre. I haven't added embedded weapons teams because realistically those weapons were alwasy drawn from a given company's weapons platoon. The weapon chosen was on a situational basis. If you think about it, commanding individual fireteams and weapons is an excellent tactical depth. It gives you the ability to not only be the company commander in the battle, but also the platoon leader and, for the most part, the NCO(s) commanding the fireteams. You have more tactical freedom to conduct tactical decisions, one of them being a much better simulation of fire and maneuver. In this case fire and maneuver, at the squad level, was the two fireteams leapfrogging under fire. One lays down suppression while the other advances.

Again, this mod was not designed with bigger teams in mind. It was designed for historical accurracy, while staying within the design concepts of the developers. Besides, I've come to like the way they did it.

BELOW IS MY LIST OF CHANGES, AND WHY I MADE THEM. ENJOY!

//////////
//Misc.//
/////////

--I got rid of my changes to the terrain elements, in favor of the stock values. The most recent patch works well with the mod in terms of cover values.
--Originally, I had added smoke to every soldier in the teams, but the game throws smoke via every man in the squad with one smoke command during the battle. So, leaders of the teams are the onyl ones with smoke, but enough smoke as if every man was carrying one. So, if a rifle team has 6 men, the team leader carries 6 smoke grenades. This way, you can use smoke 6 times during the battle.
--Basic clean up and minor changes where I forgot a realistic change or missed it from the last version of the mod.

//////////////
//Weapons//
/////////////

--I maintained the game's current ranges, with the exception of close range weapons. I brought those ranges into more historically accurate frame. They are assault weapons, not rifles.
--I did extensive research on the blast radiuses of explosives of the period, including the HE rounds fire by vehicles and tanks.
--I changed every single tank, anti-tank weapons, and assault gun's armor penetration, again with extensive research.
-Be wary around assault tanks, even. Those bad boys fired HEAT rounds when necessary, some of them penetrating 5 inches of armor.
-The armor penetration of thde 88mm rounds from german weapons is quite a bit less than before. Due to German tungsten shortages in WW2, APCR shells (had a tungsten core) eventually became very scarce.
 -On that note, I've used the values for the less effective, but still deadly, APCBC shells
-Also, I researched different ammunition types for said weapons to make sure the penetration values matched the most common or standard issue rounds of the period the games takes place in.
--Again with research, I made sure to include the proper nomenclature for weapons.
--I removed the Panzerfaust 60 from the game. Even though it was the most common Panzerfaust of the war, it didn't start production until September 1944. The game takes place in July.

//////////////
//AlsTeams//
/////////////

--Rifle Team and BAR Team are now broken down into two even teams: Able Team (Commanded by the Leader) and Baker Team (Commanded by the Assistant Leader).
-On paper, the rifle squad was assigned only one BAR, and was split into three elements: the Recon Element, the Base of Fire, and the Maneuvering Element.
-In practice, squad leaders found it more advantageous to split the team into two halves, one commanded by himself and the other the assistant squad leader. Squads were also partial to carrying two BAR's into the field, one for each team. These modifications made tactical maneuvers, like Fire and Maneuver, more effective and easier to conduct.
-The same modifications have been made to the Armored Infantry. They are renamed from Armored Infantry to Mech. (for Mechanized) Infantry.

///////////////
//AxsTeams//
//////////////

--German Grenadier Rifle Squads are now broken into two teams: the LMG Team and the Rifle Team
-These squads, contrary to what the game will portray, did not carry two MG42s. The squad was very reliant on the LMG's rate of fire for suppression, and almost every man would carry an extra barrel with him at all times to keep the gun going. They were outfitted with a single LMG, and the gun was crewed by 3 men. The other 6 men were a maneuvering element that moved while the LMG kept heads down.
--PzGrenadiere (gp) squads are now a single team with two LMGs.
-They were mechanized teams that rode in halftracks with the armor.
--PzGrenadiere squads are now broken into two even teams, each with a LMG.
-These men were outfitted for powerhouse suppression to aide in maneuver and the taking of positions during a hard push by the armor (Blitzkrieg).

/////////////
//Vehicles//
/////////////

--Every armored vehicle, with the exception of thin-skinned vehicles, has had its armor thickness brought to historically accuracy. These thickness are also based on the revision of the vehicle itself.
-For instance, the Panther G had 100mm front armor, whereas the Panther A had 110mm front armor.
--All vehicle names have been changed to include the proper nomenclature based on what each faction designated them as.
-For example, the original name Panther A has been changed to PzKpfw Panther Ausf. A.

///////////////////
//UnitStructure//
///////////////////

--The Armored Infantry Platoon has been changed to include 2 rifle squads (Aplha, Bravo Teams), a 60mm mortar, and a MMG.
-This reflects a typical Armore Infantry Platoon's field deployment. Apparently, they didn't draw the mortar or MG from a weapons platoon.
-I modified the Armored Inf HQ Squad to have the MG and Mortar.
--PzGrenadiere (gp) platoons, both SS and regulars, have three teams and three halftracks.
-As stated above, they were mechanized infantry. These are the halftracks they belong to..

////////////////////////////////////////
//FPools (IF ALL SLOTS VERSION)//
////////////////////////////////////////

--I made all slots available for battles, rather than the limited number the stock game had.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If I got research or something incorrectly, feel free to say so, so I can fix it. Suggest a few things too! Constructive criticism welcome.

PiTF_COM_v15_AllSlots.zip
 Description:
The next version of the mod, WITH all slots available.

Download
 Filename:  PiTF_COM_v15_AllSlots.zip
 Filesize:  31.19 KB
 Downloaded:  993 Time(s)

PiTF_COM_v15.zip
 Description:
The next version of the mod, WITHOUT all slots available.

Download
 Filename:  PiTF_COM_v15.zip
 Filesize:  26.98 KB
 Downloaded:  644 Time(s)

Last edited by alienzombie101 on Sun Aug 27, 2017 7:27 pm; edited 12 times in total

Pzt_Kanov

Rep: 14.2
votes: 9

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 4:59 pm Post subject: Re: Taggart Organization Mod (TOM) PiTF Edition Reply with quote

Nice to see more mods for the latests games. Just two observations that hopefully lead to interesting discussion.

According to this K.st.N database site http://www.wwiidaybyday.com/

The official organization of a Panzergrenadierkompanie c (gepanzert) or armored as in riding armored halftracks, from November 1st 1943 did include 2 MG42's.

http://www.wwiidaybyday.com/kstn/kstn1114cgp1nov43.htm

This is the latest that I could see on a quick glimpse before june 1944.

Heres another one from 1941, even then it states 2 lmg for the squad.

http://www.wwiidaybyday.com/kstn/kstn11141nov41.htm

Most German units from the timeframe of the game are pzgrenadieres, only 2 or so BG's are normal foot infantry which would adhere to the series 131 of K.st.N found here:

http://www.wwiidaybyday.com/kstn/kstninfmain.htm

Most of the foot schutzen companies carry one lmg per squad.

Other very minor point is that I think the phonetic alphabet in the american army was a little different then than today. They used Able instead of Alpha, Baker instead of Bravo etc.

Cheers and good work! Glad you used the increased inf. survivability sub-mod as base.

Last edited by Pzt_Kanov on Thu Jun 12, 2014 10:44 pm; edited 1 time in total

Dima

Rep: 87.3
votes: 16

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 5:10 pm Post subject: Re: Taggart Organization Mod (TOM) PiTF Edition Reply with quote

to add my 2 cents - 2 BARs for US rifle squads were used well after Normandy.

alienzombie101

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 6:29 pm Post subject: Re: Taggart Organization Mod (TOM) PiTF Edition Reply with quote

On paper, sure, Dima. Being in the Marines myself, you do what you have to do to survive. There's been more than a couple times where we've grabbed whatever gear we needed to be effective in the field, a lot of times something that wasn't officially part of our standard deployment. The MG42 is a buzz saw. The amount of fire coming out of that thing is vicious. GI's needed an edge to counter that firepower with what they could get: 2 BARs. Fire and maneuver doesn't work with an enemy that can easily outdo your fire rates. You gotta be able to have constant automatic fire, and that's only possible with both teams wielding a BAR. Otherwise, the german MG will render your advance inert.

And now with more info on german teams, I'll be making the changes soon. Thanks, guys!

Pzt_Kanov

Rep: 14.2
votes: 9

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 7:05 pm Post subject: Re: Taggart Organization Mod (TOM) PiTF Edition Reply with quote

Yes, accounting for field adjustments made by soldiers in the ground is something that is missing from Pitf.

As I said over at Matrix, some equipment/gear randomizer variables would be a good addition to the game. They already tried something similar with the tanks, now we need it for the infantry so instead of doing several slightly different rifle squads for example, we could just have one type and then let the game assign the weapon/uniform color based on a percentage variable like with tanks.

Dima

Rep: 87.3
votes: 16

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 7:43 pm Post subject: Re: Taggart Organization Mod (TOM) PiTF Edition Reply with quote

Quote:
On paper, sure, Dima. Being in the Marines myself, you do what you have to do to survive. There's been more than a couple times where we've grabbed whatever gear we needed to be effective in the field, a lot of times something that wasn't officially part of our standard deployment.

well actually there were 6 BARs in a company weapon reserve but I've not met accounts using fire teams for the US rifle squads in Normandy. Though read about such a practice later on.
I believe you should train to work as a fire team to be effective.

Quote:
The MG42 is a buzz saw. The amount of fire coming out of that thing is vicious. GI's needed an edge to counter that firepower with what they could get: 2 BARs. Fire and maneuver doesn't work with an enemy that can easily outdo your fire rates. You gotta be able to have constant automatic fire, and that's only possible with both teams wielding a BAR. Otherwise, the german MG will render your advance inert.

don't forget that in France, MG.42 wasnt the main german MG they met Smile

alienzombie101

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 2:00 am Post subject: Re: Taggart Organization Mod (TOM) PiTF Edition, V1.2 RELEAS Reply with quote

Okay, guys. I've got the next version in. I noticed a few squads not being able to deploy smoke. Now, every soldier in the Soldiers.txt has a smoke grenade, with the exception of the gun and vehicle crews. Also, after going through the files for the increased survivability mod, I noticed the values to be generalized, and not tailored to what type of cover it is. So, I removed the changes to cover. I also got rid of the mods to the ranges and such of the weapons, as I find it ridiculous. Men are trained to use their rifles very well. Granted, some and definitely better than others. But that's something that's rectified after spending time in combat. Mastery in marksmanship becomes important when youre lifes relies on you being able to shoot well. I balanced out the armor of troops, however, so they'll have a better chance in a given type of cover, as well as a certain type of cover having its own values per what kind of cover it is. I'll be playing the game more to test, at which point I'll balance the cover of objects to realistic values. After all, that's my ultimate goal - realism and historical accuracy.

Enjoy the new version!

vobbnobb

Rep: 73
votes: 6

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 4:23 am Post subject: Re: Taggart Organization Mod (TOM) PiTF Edition, V1.2 RELEAS Reply with quote

Things I have found to defeat the MG-42.

Tank
.50 cal on Half-Track (Far away or rounds with penetrate the HT, (mg42 rounds loose A LOT of power over distance) Then hide crew into ambush mode if they become suppressed or too close.
Sniper (In STONE building)
Mortar (I may move the team up front close using a truck or jeep if I can't take it out with anything else)
Another MG (The water cooled version of the 30 cal has longer range than the mg42)
Bazooka
Flanking and entrance from opposite side of house or building with recon team
Smoke
Garand grenade (works good if you can sneak a rifle team that has one, close to it.)

My WW2 CC Series TimeLine
http://tinyurl.com/n2vrec5

alienzombie101

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 6:04 pm Post subject: Re: Combat Operations Mod (COM) PiTF Edition, V1.3.1 RELEASE Reply with quote

I released a hotfix. The Weapons.txt was causing frequent CTDs and crashes. I'm still in the process of fixing the issue. To go along with that, I have a question. Would a range that extends beyond the bound of the map cause a crash when the bullet attempts to leave the bounds of the map? That's the only thing I can think of, or the game has a maximum range I don't know about.

stoneyjagd_jar

Rep: 9.5

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:41 pm Post subject: Re: Combat Operations Mod (COM) PiTF Edition, V1.3.1 RELEASE Reply with quote

I can't answer your question but I have been having a good time playing the first post Full slot version of your mod.
Can I get the hotfix link please or email to me? its my screen name at hot mail dot com
Thanks a lot , I really dislike having empty slots! Fun mod so far

rom7

Rep: 46.7
votes: 1

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 5:48 pm Post subject: Re: Combat Operations Mod (COM) PiTF Edition, V1.3.1 RELEASE Reply with quote

Excellent mod. Keep it up, mate

papa_whisky

Rep: 42.2
votes: 4

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 2:04 am Post subject: Re: Combat Operations Mod (COM) PiTF Edition, V1.3.1 RELEASE Reply with quote

Long ranges extending beyond the map should not be a cause for the game to crash

Slaughter

Rep: 0.1

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 10:17 am Post subject: Re: Combat Operations Mod (COM) PiTF Edition, V1.4 RELEASED! Reply with quote

Curious if this mod still works. I know its old but when I load up the game i just hear music and have a black screen.

alienzombie101

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 4:26 am Post subject: Re: Combat Operations Mod (COM) PiTF Edition, V1.4 RELEASED! Reply with quote

Should be. Just did a test myself after checking I had the latest patches. How'd you install it?

Stilletto_Rebel

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 3:38 am Post subject: Re: Combat Operations Mod (COM) PiTF Edition, V1.4 RELEASED! Reply with quote

Hi, I'm also having issues to get this mod to load.

So far I have downloaded JSGME, created a folder called MODS, in which I have created a folder called DATA/BASE/<modded>.  Full path is:

H:\Game DLC\steamapps\common\Close Combat  Panthers in the Fog\MODS\DATA\BASE

I have then (as per instructions on Matrix forum) created a shortcut of the CCE.exe file and put this in the Mods folder. I have then changed the path of this shortcut to:  "H:\Game DLC\steamapps\common\Close Combat  Panthers in the Fog\CCE.exe" /D MOD  but it's still not working (or at least I don't know what I need to do next to start it in the mod).

Please could you advise?

alienzombie101

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 5:16 am Post subject: Re: Combat Operations Mod (COM) PiTF Edition, V1.4 RELEASED! Reply with quote

Seems like you did just fine to me. I don't use JSGME myself, so I cant say whether or not you followed the instructions correctly, but I did take the mod data and put it into a folder in my PiTF directory.

...Panthers in the Fog/PiTF_COMv14/DATA/BASE etc.

Then I put a shortcut on my desktop with /D PiTF_COMv14. I use the physical disk copy from Matrix Games, not the steam version, but the general method should be the same. A good way to tell if the mod is running or not is to start the game with that shortcut and play a battle. Check the US team names. If the infantry teams are called Able Team and Baker Team the mod is running and you're good to go.

Enjoy, bud

Stilletto_Rebel

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 7:35 am Post subject: Re: Combat Operations Mod (COM) PiTF Edition, V1.4 RELEASED! Reply with quote

Excellent, thank you; got it working.  :)

If you ever fancy a H2H using the mod, let me know.  Smile

alienzombie101

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 4:32 pm Post subject: Re: Combat Operations Mod (COM) PiTF Edition, V1.4 RELEASED! Reply with quote

Definitely up for it. As a note, though, I'll be uploading v1.5 of the mod later today. I cleaned up a few things, corrected them. For instance, I got the blast radius for the 8cm mortar HE round wrong, so it was ridiculously deadly. The elements file (terrain) was screwed up, too, I had some weird values in there that made it unrealistically deadly, that sort of thing. Stay tuned.

Once the new version is up, I'm definitely game for H2H.

alienzombie101

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 7:11 pm Post subject: Re: Combat Operations Mod (COM) PiTF Edition, V1.5 RELEASED! Reply with quote

Okay, I've got the latest version in. I fixed a few quirks due to the game engine and how it interacts with the files, a couple little clean ups and small corrections. Other than that, I've removed the changes I made to the terrain elements (cover and stuff), because I found that the stock values work well with what I've got right now for v1.5.

I've got some news, too. I made changes in the battlegroups that give better morale, more aggression, etc. to make the AI in PiTF a little bit better. Well, I'll also be working on a small map mod fro PiTF until I can find finish my conversion of Battle of the Scheldt to tLD format. After that's done, I'll continue the small maps mod for PiTF to have an environment the AI can actually perform at its optimum in.

Until then, enjoy the new version of the mod!

Post new topicReply to topic printer-friendly view Close Combat Series Forum Index -> Close Combat Panthers in the Fog

Jump to: