Welcome to Close Combat Series
  Login or Register Home  ·  Downloads  ·  Forums  ·  Combat Camera  ·  Help  

Survey
Do incapacitations count as a soldier's kills?

Yes
No

Results
Polls

Votes 1179
Comments: 1

Shout Box!!

Only registered users can shout. Please login or create an account.

Main Menu
Articles & News  
    Help
    Player`s News
    Site News
    Multiplayer
    Terrain Challenge
    Boot Camp
Community  
    Forums
    Downloads
    Combat Camera
    MOOXE @ Youtube
    Statistics
Members  
    Private Messages
    Your Account
    Logout

Donations
Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
12/18/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
11/08/2021

Anonymous - $15.00
04/09/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
04/05/2021

Anonymous - $20.00
02/20/2021

Anonymous - $10.00
12/29/2020

Anonymous - $1.00
11/06/2020

ZAPPI4 - $20.00
10/10/2020

Find our site useful? Make a small donation to show your support.

Search for at
Close Combat Series Advanced Search

Goto page 1, 2  Next
 Author
GMAK

Rep: 26.9

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:53 pm Post subject: CC release on GOG Reply with quote

I'm not sure if I'm on the good forum but I want to point to everybody around here that cc3 and cc4 and other cc have been release on GOG.com and work well.

https://www.gog.com/promo/20180206_launch_promo_close_combat

"Where's the king?"

gravyface

Rep: 0.7

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:14 pm Post subject: Re: CC release on GOG Reply with quote

GMAK wrote (View Post):
I'm not sure if I'm on the good forum but I want to point to everybody around here that cc3 and cc4 and other cc have been release on GOG.com and work well.

https://www.gog.com/promo/20180206_launch_promo_close_combat  

Yup, ordered the bundle.  Wish that LSA was on there; guess Matrix Games is still milking that premium price tag over there.

mooxe

Rep: 221.1
votes: 25

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:17 pm Post subject: Re: CC release on GOG Reply with quote

Are they all digital download? I am curious to know who GOG is selling the originals through. All the originals are hosted here for free.

dj

Rep: 157.1
votes: 9

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:53 am Post subject: Re: CC release on GOG Reply with quote

Yes good question Mooxe, who gets the royalty fees.  Don't think Slitherine / Matrix own the original series.  No Mac OS version of CC2 available.  Maybe someone can get source code for rewrite of CC2, it might be faster than waiting for next release.

mick_xe5

Rep: 19.4
votes: 5

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 6:04 am Post subject: Re: CC release on GOG Reply with quote

The source code for CC2 is MIA.

GMAK

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 6:47 am Post subject: Re: CC release on GOG Reply with quote

mooxe wrote (View Post):
Are they all digital download? I am curious to know who GOG is selling the originals through. All the originals are hosted here for free.

Yes, unlimited digital download.

"Where's the king?"

mooxe

Rep: 221.1
votes: 25

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:45 am Post subject: Re: CC release on GOG Reply with quote

Gravy.... Let us know if CC3 works properly. Right now the original CC3 crashes when you exit it.

ScnelleMeyer

Rep: 190.3
votes: 18

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 3:54 pm Post subject: Re: CC release on GOG Reply with quote

Well, I tried the GOG CC3 on W7 and scroll speed is NOT fixed.

GMAK

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:49 pm Post subject: Re: CC release on GOG Reply with quote

ScnelleMeyer wrote (View Post):
Well, I tried the GOG CC3 on W7 and scroll speed is NOT fixed.

But this is true, the scroll speed is not fixed.

"Where's the king?"

Gerwin

Rep: 31.1

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:59 pm Post subject: Re: CC release on GOG Reply with quote

I had a look at the CC3.exe in the recent GoG release. I compared it with an original CC3.exe v3.0b with a no-CD patch applied that I made in 2003 (See http://members.quicknet.nl/lm.broers/download.htm, which was cloned from the no-CD patch for the unpatched game ). The result is: No byte differences found, files are 100% equal.

dj

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 6:01 pm Post subject: Re: CC release on GOG Reply with quote

CC2 works fairly good on Windows 7.  Videos have poor resolution and scrolling is also not working properly.  But overall not bad, worth the $5.   It's been a long time since I could get either Mac OS or Windows version working.

Hank

Rep: 1.3

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:15 pm Post subject: Re: CC release on GOG Reply with quote

CC3 works on Windows 10. I haven't played a Campaign yet. I modded with Real Red.

Iain_Slitherine

Rep: 0.3

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 5:12 pm Post subject: Re: CC release on GOG Reply with quote

Hi,

your site has just been brought to my attention. I'm trying to find the right person to contact. I'm glad to see there is still an appetite for these classic games.

My name is Iain McNeil from Slitherine / Matrix Games.

We own the Close Combat brand, IP, and all releases related to Close Combat. That includes all the old games which are currently being hosted on this site illegally. I'd like to have them removed. Please let me know who I should be dealing with. It is a breach of copyright.

We worked with GOG to bring these classic games back. They have been adapted with GoG's help to run on new operating system so work much better than the original versions.

The revenue from the release of the old games is helping fund the creation of the next game, The Bloody First, which is entering Alpha testing in the next few weeks. We plan to release it later this year. We look forwards to getting the game to you and getting your feedback. Be sure to sign up for the beta test when it becomes available.

Thanks!

dj

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 5:33 am Post subject: Re: CC release on GOG Reply with quote

Hi Ian,

If Sliterine owns the rights for all the classic original series....is there any way you can get the original source code?  

Reason why I ask is that I thought you can take the original code and modernize with new code and graphics.  CC2 by far had the best AI.  I like what I saw with TBF...  however the original CC2 was best in the entire series as far as competitive AI gameplay .  Some people thought the source code was unusable or lost?  Happy to play the GOG game for now, but would prefer to purchase modern version while preserving the original integrity of game and the stronger AI.

Iain_Slitherine

Rep: 0.3

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:32 am Post subject: Re: CC release on GOG Reply with quote

Unfortunately all the source code was lost before we took it over. The team have spent a lot of time on the AI in the Bloody First so this and route finding are the two bug bears we know players really care about and are getting the most attention.

Can you direct me to the owner/moderator of this site?

Thanks!

dj

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:56 am Post subject: Re: CC release on GOG Reply with quote

Keith Z from Atomic Games or one of the developers (Eric?) probably has the source code.  They probably did not want to part with it but I know someone must have it.  CC2 was by far the best game in the entire series for AI gameplay.  The AI got worse with each release after that.  Route finding is related to the hapless AI, both vehicles and soldier movements are aimless most of the time.  

Re: Bloody First, it would be more realistic and easier to produce if kept as 2D.  When moving to 3D, the scale accuracy and realism suffers.  And the CC2 style soldier monitor was cleaner and more simple to manage.  

This is a community site mostly for modding fans  The downloads of original versions are useless here, that's why I ordered on GOG and likely will order another.  Any chance to fix the scrolling?
The moderators are listed below.

Gerwin

Rep: 31.1

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:33 pm Post subject: Re: CC release on GOG Reply with quote

Iain_Slitherine wrote (View Post):
We worked with GOG to bring these classic games back. They have been adapted with GoG's help to run on new operating system so work much better than the original versions.

Like I Said before, Close Combat III is completely unmodified except for No-CD patching (Identical to what I prepared in 2003). No game improvement there at all. All little bugs have thus been retained. Anything specific in that regard for the other Close Combat games on GoG? The GoG forum has Tech Support posts coming in daily.
I would not complain normally, but since you mentioned "work much better", I have to ask...

Zep

Rep: 51.1

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:06 am Post subject: Re: CC release on GOG Reply with quote

Where is close combat 5 Evil or Very Mad

Tejszd

Rep: 133.6
votes: 19

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:21 am Post subject: Re: CC release on GOG Reply with quote

Sounds like something to avoid unless you Win7 or older and even then the Matrix releases at least made some bug fixes and had some new features....

Seems a money grab for those who do not know better. But it is shorted sighted as some new players will try these old versions due to the cheap cost but will have problems and avoid all the Matrix release including the Bloody First....

dj

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 6:00 pm Post subject: Re: CC release on GOG Reply with quote

I thought Keith from Atomic or his lead developer Eric had the code?  Vaguely recall him posting on the old CSO site that the code was too old to use.  Now there are many developer software tools on the market that can be used for old code or conversions.  Or even just modifying and updating the old code, that too might work.

LSA was absolutely horrible, way worse that than original CC2.  Cross of Iron doesn't even work any more on Windows 7, always crashes and that too was not really any better than original CC3.

Don't mind paying $5 for slightly updated GOG version...at least it works (barely).  But paying $30+ for the "rewrites"?  that regressed the game and completely useless AI was waste of my $.

mick_xe5 wrote (View Post):
The source code for CC2 is MIA.

Post new topicReply to topic printer-friendly view Close Combat Series Forum Index -> The Mess
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Jump to: