Welcome to Close Combat Series
  Login or Register Home  ·  Downloads  ·  Forums  ·  Combat Camera  ·  Help  

Survey
Do incapacitations count as a soldier's kills?

Yes
No

Results
Polls

Votes 1212
Comments: 1

Shout Box!!

Only registered users can shout. Please login or create an account.

Main Menu
Articles & News  
    Help
    Player`s News
    Site News
    Multiplayer
    Terrain Challenge
    Boot Camp
Community  
    Forums
    Downloads
    Combat Camera
    MOOXE @ Youtube
    Statistics
Members  
    Private Messages
    Your Account
    Logout

Donations
Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
12/18/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
11/08/2021

Anonymous - $15.00
04/09/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
04/05/2021

Anonymous - $20.00
02/20/2021

Anonymous - $10.00
12/29/2020

Anonymous - $1.00
11/06/2020

ZAPPI4 - $20.00
10/10/2020

Find our site useful? Make a small donation to show your support.

Search for at
Close Combat Series Advanced Search

Author
Bel8910

Rep: 80.7
votes: 5

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 1:19 am Post subject: American Civil War- Battle for Kentucky (A GTC Mod) Reply with quote

This mod will only appeal to a few people in and around the CC world.  In developing the mod, my goal was to modify every piece of the game (data files, graphic files, localfx).  I did intensive research on the weapons of the era as well as the battle itself in developing this game.  Most everything is accurate; what is not is intentional (the building of a "Contraband" regiment for instance.  No US Colored Troops were at the Battle of Perryville).  I believe I made a mod that is historically accurate as far as the graphics, sounds and data go.  I have cavalry; I have artillery; I have bugle calls; and I have uniforms.  The only limiting factor was the game engine of CC is not designed for 19th Century warfare.  

Close Combat: Civil War
The Battle of Kentucky

Background:
In 1862, the Army of the Mississippi (Confederate States of America), under General Braxton Bragg, moved into Kentucky with the purpose of swinging this vital border state over the Confederate side in the war.  I Corpse, under MGEN McCook, met Bragg's forces outside the town of Perryville, Kentucky.  The Union lines initially held, counterattacked, but were eventually driven off by the Rebel Army.  As dusk was approaching, more Union forces began to threaten Bragg's left flank forcing, him to withdraw. The battle lasted only a day. Bragg continued to withdraw, leaving Kentucky, ending the Kentucky offensive and swinging the state to the Union position.  Tactically, Bragg won the battle.  The Union Army, though, won the strategic victory.

Summary of Mod:

Forces:  3rd Division (9, 17, 28 Brigades)/I Corps of the Army of Ohio vs. Left Wing (1, 2, 3, 4 Brigades) of the Army of the Mississippi

Graphics:

Title graphic

Choose Side Graphics: General Buell on flag of the USA; General Bragg on the Rebel Battle Flag

Updated screen backgrounds to a more "Blue/Gray" scheme in keeping with the common Civil War description of the Union (Blue) and Rebel (Gray) Armies

Map graphics reflecting the batteground in and around Perryville, KY.  (Additional playable maps for Alternate History Battles)

Game/Screen gadgets reflecting the era (Cannon for Naval Barrage, Siege Mortar for Mortars, Wagon for Supplies) (---Not historically accurate for the battle, but Balloon for Air)

STRPATCHES: USA Flag for I Corps and Brigades (9, 17, 2Cool, State Flags for Union Regiments (Ohio, Michigan, Illinois, Indiana and Wisconsin), 4th Cavalry Flag.  CSA Flag for the Army of the Mississippi, the Rebel Battle Flag (Stars and Bars) for Brigades (1, 2, 3, 4), State Flags for Rebel Regiments (Tennessee, Georgia and Texas).  

SEUNITICONS: Standard NATO infantry and cavalry icons but with State/Brigade/Corps/Army flags affixed

STRBGICONS: Icons reflecting type of unit (Brigade, Infantry, Artillery, Cavalry) with regimental flags and unit name

SOMEDALS: Only the Medal of Honor and single Silver Star (USA) are historically accurate. Other medals existed (DSC, BS), but not at the merit reflected in the game.  The Combat Infantry Badge and Purple Heart are fabricated as is each of the Confederate medals.

INBRANKS: Accurate ranks and structures for each Army

Union Infantry (Pvt to Maj)               Blue rank on blue uniform (kepi caps Pvt to Cap, Cav cap for Maj, sashes for rank idenfication)

Senior Union Infantry (1SGT to BGEN)       Blue rank on blue uniform (kepi caps for enlisted and Captains, Cav cap for Majors to Generals, sashes for rank identification)
               Mixed of Infantry, Special Services and Artillery staff teams

Union Artillery (Pvt to Maj)        Red rank on blue uniforms, red pants and hat
(Including Ordnance Branch)

Union Sharpshooters/Special Services Green rank on blue uniforms
(Engineers, Medical, etc)

Union Cavalry (Pvt to Maj) Yellow rank on blue uniforms

Union Zouve Units (Pvt to Maj) Red rank on blue uniforms ("Special" team, not at the Battle of Perryville)

Union Indiana Units (Gray uniform) Blue rank on gray uniforms ("Special" team, not at the Battle of Perryville)

Union Marines (Pvt to Maj) Red Marine rank on blue uniforms ("Special" team, not at the Battle of Perryville)

Union Navy (OS to R.Adm) White rank on black uniforms ("Special" team, not at the Battle of Perryville)

Union Contraband Units Blue rank on blue uniforms with red pants ("Special" team, not at the Battle of Perryville)

Confederate Infantry (Pvt to Maj) Blue rank on gray uniforms (kepi caps PVT to Colonel, Cav Caps for Generals and above, sashes for rank identification, ranks on the sleeves)

Senior Confederate (1SGT to BGEN) Mix of Infantry, Artillery and Cavalry teams staff teams

Confederate Artillery Red rank on gray uniforms

Confederate Cavalry Yellow rank on gray uniforms

Confederate VMI units Blue rank on blue uniforms ("Special" team, not at the Battle of Perrysville)

Confederate Zouve units Red rank on gray uniforms ("Special" team, not at the Battle of Perrysville)

Tank/Gun/Shadow Graphics:

Colors graphics 4 person Color Flag team (truck); Union Colors, Confederate State and Battle Flag; Regimental Flags

Cavalry graphics Horse graphics (Union and Confederate mounts; Mounted USA General)

Limber graphics

HQ wagon graphics

Cannon: 6-pdr James Rifle, 10-inch Parrott Rifle, 12-pdr Napoleon, 3-inch Ordnance, 6-pdr Smooth Bore Brass, 6-pdr Smooth Bore Iron

Soldier Graphics

Union Infantry Blue on Blue, Officers blue on lt blue, Flag Officers, black on light blue
Union Zouve Red on Blue
Indiana Special Gray on Gray
Union Artillery Red on Blue, red caps
Union Cavalry Blue on Yellow, yellow caps
Union Marines Blue on White
Union Navy Black on White
Union Contraband Blue on Red, blue caps for enlisted; standard uniform for officers (since the officers were all Caucasian)

Rebel Infantry Gray on Gray or Gray on buff
Rebel Zouve Red on Blue
Rebel VMI        Gray on Gray, officers blue on lt blue
Rebel Artillery Gray on Red, red caps
Rebel Cavalry Yellow on Gray, yellow caps

Data Changes:

Union Infantry Approx 100 soldiers per Company, broken into 3 platoons and 2 sections.  3-5 Companies per regiment
Each company includes 2-3 Platoon Leaders, 1 Company Cmdr, 1 Company Sgt, 1 Color Sgt, 1 Colors team, 2 Musicians (coded as leader)

Each Regiment includes Regimental Commander, Mounted Commander, 3 Companies of Engineers, 1 Color Sgt, 1 Union Colors team, 2 Musicians, cassions and HQ wagons, Associated Staff (Aide-de-Camp, Medical Services, Quartermaster)

1 Special Artillery Team (Ohio) Gatling gun with cassion and Artillery Pioneers (9 Brigade only)

Divisional Commander

Union Cavalry 3 Companies Mounted, 1 Dismounted, 1 Cavalry Artillery Battery
Platoon leaders, dismounted infantry and mounts
Company Commander, dismounted infantry and skrimishers, mount and cassion

Cavalry battery including 2 guns and cassions

Cavalry units also have 2nd U.S. Sharpshooters attached

Union Artillery 12-lbr Napoleans, 10-Inch Parrot Rifles, 6-pdr James Rifles, 4-inch coehorn mortars, 13-inch siege mortars, cassions including Section leaders (Platoon Leaders), Battery Commander (Co. Cmdr), and Artillery Pioneers (infantry) (mortars not playable except for US Navy)

Union Zouve Units

Union Indiana in Gray uniforms

Union Contrabands in blue and red uniforms

Confederate Infantry Approx 100 soldiers per Company, broken into 2-3 platoons and 2 sections. 3-5 Companies per regiment.  
Each company includes 2-3 Platoon Leaders, 1 Company Cmdr, 1 Company Sgt, 1 Color Sgt, 1 Colors team, 2 Musicians
Each Regiment includes Regimental Commander, Skirmishers, 1 Color Sgt, 1 Union Colors team, 2 Musicians, cassions and HQ wagons, Associated Staff (Aide-de-Camp), Divisional Commander

Confederate Cavalry 3 Companies Mounted, 1 Dismounted

Confederate Artillery 12-lbr Napoleans, 3-in Ordnance Rifles, 10-Inch Parrot Rifles, 4-inch coehorn mortars, 13-inch siege mortars, cassions including Section Leaders (Platoon Leaders), Battery Commander (Co. Cmdr), and Artillery Pioneers (infantry)

Confederate Zouve Units

Confederate VMI in blue uniforms

Lessons Learned:

As stated in the opening, the Close Combat engine/AI is not designed for 19th Century warfare, i.e., companies and regiments formed into a single or double battle line, meeting the enemy on open ground.  When using normal line infantry I maintained a line or double line as much as practical given terrain and responses to the enemy.  The AI fought the battles using 20th tactics as designed by the AI.  At first, the battles went my way because in a line formation I was able to more easily flank and isolate the AI.  As the games progressed (in campaign mode) the AI began to "learn".  Sacrificing his skirmishers (a ten man recon team), it would probe my lines for weak areas or to draw me off.  Upon penetrating my lines, the AI then would focus its forces in that area.  When drawing me off, I would react by "swinging" my forces around to protect the weakened areas.  This would put the AI in position to flank my main forces, or to cut off my reserves.  It made for some interesting battles.  

The only part of the game play that frustrated me as far as 19th vs 20th Century tactics was with 'my' armies.  I would order then forward, say through a wheat field, and the would stop at the designated spot.  But, after a few shots, they immediately went to seek cover.  Sometimes, the soldiers would run all the way back to the original start spot.  Other times, they would overrun the spot, "charging" the enemy in ones and twos, getting cut down right away.  I had to keep them moving in "double march" (sprint) to maintain lines, and positions.  This, of course, wore my soldiers down quicker.

That is my mod of GTC.

If you are interested, PM me or contact me through the CC Facebook pages.

Cheers and good hunting.

UO0001.jpg
 Description:
Editor Screen
 Filesize:  346.82 KB
 Viewed:  14043 Time(s)

UO0001.jpg

UO0002.jpg
 Description:
Main Screen
 Filesize:  319.29 KB
 Viewed:  14043 Time(s)

UO0002.jpg

Tejszd

Rep: 133.6
votes: 19

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 1:50 am Post subject: Re: American Civil War- Battle for Kentucky (A GTC Mod) Reply with quote

Way to try something new!

dj

Rep: 157.5
votes: 9

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 3:32 am Post subject: Re: American Civil War- Battle for Kentucky (A GTC Mod) Reply with quote

Thanks Bel, looks good.  I hope you can figure out how to tweak the AI to make it better?  Maybe smaller maps?  Not many new mods for GTC, look forward to seeing more screenshots when available.

Bel8910

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 12:24 pm Post subject: Re: American Civil War- Battle for Kentucky (A GTC Mod) Reply with quote

DJ, PM me here and I can send you a link to download.

Tejszd, thank you.  I will post more pictures later.  I am using some smaller maps for this game. The AI is aggressive, especially in the smaller maps.  It makes for some exciting battles.  This is especially true because in making the weapons, I lowered the accuracy and jam numbers to be realistic.  I get many more melees now and that situation is usually 50-50, if the numbers are the same.  I usually end up sending a platoon over to support during a melee, or a commander.  If a I send a commander, they are usually killed.  If a send a platoon, it ends with a breach in the lines!

CW Union Infantry.jpg
 Description:
Union Infantry Company
 Filesize:  221.55 KB
 Viewed:  14007 Time(s)

CW Union Infantry.jpg

CW Confederate Infantry.jpg
 Description:
Confederate Infantry Company
 Filesize:  217.06 KB
 Viewed:  14007 Time(s)

CW Confederate Infantry.jpg

CW Battlefield Muzzle Smoke (day) (3).jpg
 Description:
typical battle
 Filesize:  332.66 KB
 Viewed:  14008 Time(s)

CW Battlefield Muzzle Smoke (day) (3).jpg

pvt_Grunt

Rep: 99.7

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:26 am Post subject: Re: American Civil War- Battle for Kentucky (A GTC Mod) Reply with quote

Very Good!

Zep

Rep: 51.1

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:40 pm Post subject: Re: American Civil War- Battle for Kentucky (A GTC Mod) Reply with quote

+1

Bel8910

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:47 pm Post subject: ATTENTION: American Civil War- Battle for Kentucky Reply with quote

for those who want this mod of GTC, here is the link....if it doesn't work, let me know.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/16psya8stCEpZeMUM5Z4orFvynOzBZ4dq/view?usp=sharing

Regards,
Bel8910

READ ME:

Simple RAR format...unzip to your Matrix Games folder.  Back up a copy of your current GTC.  Move Battle of Kentucky folders into your GTC folders.

Zep

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 9:14 pm Post subject: Re: American Civil War- Battle for Kentucky (A GTC Mod) Reply with quote

Thank you very much Very Happy

Bel8910

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:04 pm Post subject: Re: American Civil War- Battle for Kentucky (A GTC Mod) Reply with quote

updated data files.

I realized that my data files (AI, AX and Units) were a mess, so I cleaned them up.

DATA.zip
 Description:
Data files

Download
 Filename:  DATA.zip
 Filesize:  622.52 KB
 Downloaded:  750 Time(s)

Zep

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:27 pm Post subject: Re: American Civil War- Battle for Kentucky (A GTC Mod) Reply with quote

Again, Thank you for your work! Very Happy

Post new topicReply to topic printer-friendly view Close Combat Series Forum Index -> The Mess -> Custom Scenarios

Jump to: