Welcome to Close Combat Series
  Login or Register Home  ·  Downloads  ·  Forums  ·  Combat Camera  ·  Help  

Survey
Do incapacitations count as a soldier's kills?

Yes
No

Results
Polls

Votes 1180
Comments: 1

Shout Box!!

Only registered users can shout. Please login or create an account.

Main Menu
Articles & News  
    Help
    Player`s News
    Site News
    Multiplayer
    Terrain Challenge
    Boot Camp
Community  
    Forums
    Downloads
    Combat Camera
    MOOXE @ Youtube
    Statistics
Members  
    Private Messages
    Your Account
    Logout

Donations
Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
12/18/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
11/08/2021

Anonymous - $15.00
04/09/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
04/05/2021

Anonymous - $20.00
02/20/2021

Anonymous - $10.00
12/29/2020

Anonymous - $1.00
11/06/2020

ZAPPI4 - $20.00
10/10/2020

Find our site useful? Make a small donation to show your support.

Search for at
Close Combat Series Advanced Search

Author
Bungarra

Rep: 137.3
votes: 5

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 1:46 am Post subject: USS San Diego 1918 Mystery sinking investigated Reply with quote

A hundred years ago, a mysterious explosion hit the only major U.S. warship to sink during World War I. Now the Navy believes it has the answer to what doomed the USS San Diego: An underwater mine set by a German submarine cruising in waters just miles from New York City.

Read more at: https://phys.org/news/2018-12-scientists-scour-wwi-shipwreck-military.html#jCp

You know if you don't live it.... You can't give it.

reconscout

Rep: 60.5

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 11:18 pm Post subject: Re: USS San Diego 1918 Mystery sinking investigated Reply with quote

makes sense

that which does not kill you makes you stronger

dj

Rep: 157.1
votes: 9

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 4:35 am Post subject: Re: USS San Diego 1918 Mystery sinking investigated Reply with quote

Yes the Germans were very crafty learning how to mine ports and shipping lanes.   Surprised to hear we lost ship in home waters in WWI by the Germans.  Didn't think they travelled that far in WWI.  They must have had cargo ship trailing them to re-fuel.

JFFulcrum

Rep: 77.5

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 10:36 am Post subject: Re: USS San Diego 1918 Mystery sinking investigated Reply with quote

I`m still prefer version of internal explosion...there was many powder-related disasters that time: just France lost at least five battleships, Japan lost 'Mikasa', Russia lost 'Imperatritsa Mariya', Italy lost 'Leonardo da Vinci' and 'Benedetto Brin', Britain lost numerous battleships, including 'HMS Bulwark'. Most of that losses was blamed by seamines &wartime saboutages; the truth was just lack of scientific knowledge about powder chemistry in stacking for long time. The structure of damages was also very different and left space for several explanations.

JFFulcrum

Rep: 77.5

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 10:40 am Post subject: Re: USS San Diego 1918 Mystery sinking investigated Reply with quote

BTW, the loss of infamous 'USS Maine' was also blamed to spanish torpedo.

Post new topicReply to topic printer-friendly view Close Combat Series Forum Index -> The Mess

Jump to: