Welcome to Close Combat Series
  Login or Register Home  ·  Downloads  ·  Forums  ·  Combat Camera  ·  Help  

Survey
Do incapacitations count as a soldier's kills?

Yes
No

Results
Polls

Votes 1179
Comments: 1

Shout Box!!

Only registered users can shout. Please login or create an account.

Main Menu
Articles & News  
    Help
    Player`s News
    Site News
    Multiplayer
    Terrain Challenge
    Boot Camp
Community  
    Forums
    Downloads
    Combat Camera
    MOOXE @ Youtube
    Statistics
Members  
    Private Messages
    Your Account
    Logout

Donations
Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
12/18/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
11/08/2021

Anonymous - $15.00
04/09/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
04/05/2021

Anonymous - $20.00
02/20/2021

Anonymous - $10.00
12/29/2020

Anonymous - $1.00
11/06/2020

ZAPPI4 - $20.00
10/10/2020

Find our site useful? Make a small donation to show your support.

Search for at
Close Combat Series Advanced Search

Author
Bungarra

Rep: 137.3
votes: 5

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 12:56 pm Post subject: Rail Guns... do they work? or do we worry? Reply with quote

Rail guns.... Hypersonic missles.... All in the news lately... all seemingly aimed at the U.S and her allies..

But do we really need to be concerned.....

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-01-03/the-railgun-explained-and-what-it-means-for-us-china-relations/10683526

You know if you don't live it.... You can't give it.

dj

Rep: 157.1
votes: 9

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 8:12 pm Post subject: Re: Rail Guns... do they work? or do we worry? Reply with quote

Getting sticker shock on how much the defense suppliers think they can price gouge for rail gun tech.    It does seem like it could be viable threat but accuracy seems problematic and waaay too expensive.  Phyric victory.  
The Krauts had amazing tech in WW2 and effective for breaking morale of opponents.  But not nearly as effective as massed air power or stealth subs.  I remember WW2 telling me how rattled he was by big Kraut guns aimed at invasion craft in Italy.  He could barely talk about it still was traumatized decades later.

JFFulcrum

Rep: 77.5

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 7:28 am Post subject: Re: Rail Guns... do they work? or do we worry? Reply with quote

The common artillery already had experimental systems with 100+ km ranges. It was proved, that without correction in flight precision will be awful, due to atmosphere inconsistency and complex shape of Earth itself (including gravitational differences). So range will not be an advantage. Low weight, high speed and the lack of explosion warhead (which cannot survive plasma-level temperatures in rail) of projectile means that effective destruction potential is very limited, despite firing rate. It`s like during 1983 KAL007 flight shootdown, when Soviet fighter first tried to down Jumbo with autocannon, but AP shells only pierced thru unarmored plane hull with no clear effect, and only missile hit explosion done the job.

johnsilver

Rep: 61.3
votes: 4

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:32 pm Post subject: Re: Rail Guns... do they work? or do we worry? Reply with quote

dj wrote (View Post):
Getting sticker shock on how much the defense suppliers think they can price gouge for rail gun tech.    It does seem like it could be viable threat but accuracy seems problematic and waaay too expensive.  Phyric victory.  
The Krauts had amazing tech in WW2 and effective for breaking morale of opponents.  But not nearly as effective as massed air power or stealth subs.  I remember WW2 telling me how rattled he was by big Kraut guns aimed at invasion craft in Italy.  He could barely talk about it still was traumatized decades later.

Imagine being in the near proximity of a railgun shell going off would leave a lasting memory, just like surviving a blasting from heavy cruisers or battleship bombardment inland.

Seeing Leopold when it was at Aberdeen years back (no idea if it still is) and how massive the rail gun actually was/is. It's no wonder that gun terrified allied soldiers at the Anzio beach head.

dj

Rep: 157.1
votes: 9

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 3:33 am Post subject: Re: Rail Guns... do they work? or do we worry? Reply with quote

Yes he was invasion craft captain, they were getting picked off by the rail guns.  He was in my father's band.  Must have been terrifying, the Germans were ready and waiting.  

Must have been this one "The Gun that Held 50,000 Men Hostage".  

http://www.unmuseum.org/anzio_annie.htm

johnsilver

Rep: 61.3
votes: 4

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 2:26 pm Post subject: Re: Rail Guns... do they work? or do we worry? Reply with quote

That's it and nice site linked to also  Smile

Aberdeen is history now. Used to have literally hundreds of AFV's from WW1 to post 'Nam era Patton armored museum is a goner also and various tanks all spread out. Crying shame. Some of the examples at those places were/are 1 of a kind left. Why this country cannot honor it's past and preserve it is beyond me.

Post new topicReply to topic printer-friendly view Close Combat Series Forum Index -> The Mess

Jump to: