Welcome to Close Combat Series
  Login or Register Home  ·  Downloads  ·  Forums  ·  Combat Camera  ·  Help  

Survey
Do incapacitations count as a soldier's kills?

Yes
No

Results
Polls

Votes 1179
Comments: 1

Shout Box!!

Only registered users can shout. Please login or create an account.

Main Menu
Articles & News  
    Help
    Player`s News
    Site News
    Multiplayer
    Terrain Challenge
    Boot Camp
Community  
    Forums
    Downloads
    Combat Camera
    MOOXE @ Youtube
    Statistics
Members  
    Private Messages
    Your Account
    Logout

Donations
Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
12/18/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
11/08/2021

Anonymous - $15.00
04/09/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
04/05/2021

Anonymous - $20.00
02/20/2021

Anonymous - $10.00
12/29/2020

Anonymous - $1.00
11/06/2020

ZAPPI4 - $20.00
10/10/2020

Find our site useful? Make a small donation to show your support.

Search for at
Close Combat Series Advanced Search

Author
RowdyRuckus

Rep: 0.1

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 7:24 pm Post subject: How to use snipers in CC? Reply with quote

I've played all the CC titles save Marines at one point or another over the years and probably have about a hundred hours of multiplayer H2H between Invasion Normandy, CCIII, and Arnhem.  One thing I've never figured out is how the heck I'm supposed to use snipers.  

They seem to do extremely limited damage, dont appear to have any particular psychological effect, and get spotted and die pretty immediately.  I've always just removed them from battlegroups because it's hard to justify taking one over an MG team or additional rifle squad.  Is there some hidden utility to them I'm not aware of or are they just not a well-balanced part of the game?

Apologies if this is the wrong place to post this.  All the other boards looked totally inactive and I wanted this to be seen.

JFFulcrum

Rep: 77.5

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 7:39 pm Post subject: Re: How to use snipers in CC? Reply with quote

Quote:
Snipers are deadly long range shooters who work alone . They are more accurate at long range, are more likely to target enemy leaders, and are more likely to kill, but they have a low rate of fire . Snipers are easily suppressed once they are discovered and cannot be expected to survive a shoot-out with the enemy . Remember that the talent of a sniper is not in the amount of enemies he kills directly; by targeting officers and suppressing enemy troops at long range, he can sap enemy morale and reduce their efficiency. Snipers cannot capture terrain or Victory Locations.

That`s from PITF manual. I.e. sniper is chance to kill leader of opposite squad and lower their morale.

Also, when you have a choice only from low-morale troops (like german Osttruppen) sniper is a way to strengthen morale of your own troops.

BTW, there are  examples of good performance from snipers.

Digs

Rep: 56.7
votes: 5

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:10 pm Post subject: Re: How to use snipers in CC? Reply with quote

Use snipers as spotters inside victory locations where high ground is limited, as they can't capture area's. Have some other units in the same location away from the capture point, in ambush mode. As the enemy is approaches, pull your sniper out to safety, and hopefully the enemy will be caught unaware.

Antony_nz

Rep: 83.9
votes: 6

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 11:46 am Post subject: Re: How to use snipers in CC? Reply with quote

If you are a player who occasionally deploys a team for it to be destroyed or broken without it having made any kills and therefore not contributed to the fight in a meaningful way, then consider bringing a sniper instead.
I don't know how well you all play but generally, if my sniper has made more than 4 kills then I'm more than happy having brought him. Not to mention the other ways a sniper may affect the battle.

In my experience, my snipers usually do well during very chaotic battles where my opponent is too preoccupied with the firefights to notice the odd rare sniper shot.
He will often target team leaders, essentially fucking the team if he manages to kill them. He also causes panic among the enemy and causes them to stay down.

I make sure I have a good line of sight and unless the shots are too good to miss, I only order a shot occasionally. After the shot is fired I will immediately order the man to a ceasefire (Set to ambush or defend).
After the shot is fired i might asses the situation and decide if the opponent noticed the shot. Scout out if they are reacting to it.
Consider retreating the sniper.
If you are chatty consider asking your opponent if he noticed the snipers or how it affected him. Probably best to do this after a battle. Especially if it competitive.
Retreating the sniper to another location can be dangerous but if you leave it to late, it will only make doing it more difficult.
If the enemy is well aware of the sniper and is actively suppressing the sniper then he is in deep trouble.

As I said, the best I have ever done with snipers have been during really chaotic battles where the enemy is attacking and due to distractions or dumb luck I manage to pick off lots of guys and my opponent somehow never manages to deal with it.

Maybe deploy the sniper to the side and let the enemy move forward so it's like you are behind enemy lines. Move up and try to get a kill in a place where the opponent's guard is down. Some times an enemy mortar team will evidently spot him from a million miles away and you are screwed but occasionally you get lucky. You might just inflict devastating damage on one spot or maybe he can terrorize troops that are already broken or retreating to safety.

http://talesofclosecombat.blogspot.co.nz/
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website GameRanger Account

vobbnobb

Rep: 73
votes: 6

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 12:34 am Post subject: Re: How to use snipers in CC? Reply with quote

Use them like mg teams in multistory buildings overlooking large opening like fields or looking down a road and paths where troops cross.

My WW2 CC Series TimeLine
http://tinyurl.com/n2vrec5

qwaqwe

Rep: 36.1

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:19 pm Post subject: Re: How to use snipers in CC? Reply with quote

But it's a unique

s.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  164.33 KB
 Viewed:  6226 Time(s)

s.png

southern_land

Rep: 155.2
votes: 14

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 1:08 pm Post subject: Re: How to use snipers in CC? Reply with quote

I use them against field guns, AT guns and morters

asdf2k

Rep: 12.9
votes: 1

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2020 9:51 pm Post subject: Re: How to use snipers in CC? Reply with quote

You'd think they're most effective early on when you hide them near a spot where lots of enemies come by to pick them off, but that never works. They'll just miss most of their shots and die quickly. I've had the best success when I saved them for later when the heavy fighting is over and everyone is low on ammo, and players begin moving their depleted teams around the map. At that point it's quite safe to move around and come close enough to get a good shot.

Jatke

Rep: 69.7
votes: 7

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2020 12:01 am Post subject: Re: How to use snipers in CC? Reply with quote

Rule #1 - never order a sniper to fire. Place them well behind your front line, leave them on Defend and let them do their thing.

General rule d'thumb de guerre - Leave all your infantry teams on Defend. Theyll take shots with a higher kill probability and rack up more enemy casualties than if you micro-manage their targeting.  Plus they'll stay unspotted (hence un-fired upon) longer. Ordering a team to fire means they'll be spotted almost instantaneously. If you're trigger finger is too twitchy to keep from the Fire command, save it for your vehicles. They'll also take higher probability shots than you will, but player-directed vehicular firepower is often both necessary and prudent. Plus you rarely have to worry about vehicles needing to remain unspotted, AT guns excepted of course. If the vehicle can see the target, 95% of the time the target can see the vehicle.

Post new topicReply to topic printer-friendly view Close Combat Series Forum Index -> The Mess

Jump to: