Welcome to Close Combat Series
  Login or Register Home  ·  Downloads  ·  Forums  ·  Combat Camera  ·  Help  

Survey
Do incapacitations count as a soldier's kills?

Yes
No

Results
Polls

Votes 1180
Comments: 1

Shout Box!!

Only registered users can shout. Please login or create an account.

Main Menu
Articles & News  
    Help
    Player`s News
    Site News
    Multiplayer
    Terrain Challenge
    Boot Camp
Community  
    Forums
    Downloads
    Combat Camera
    MOOXE @ Youtube
    Statistics
Members  
    Private Messages
    Your Account
    Logout

Donations
Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
12/18/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
11/08/2021

Anonymous - $15.00
04/09/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
04/05/2021

Anonymous - $20.00
02/20/2021

Anonymous - $10.00
12/29/2020

Anonymous - $1.00
11/06/2020

ZAPPI4 - $20.00
10/10/2020

Find our site useful? Make a small donation to show your support.

Search for at
Close Combat Series Advanced Search

Author
Aetius

Rep: 89.2
votes: 4

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 5:20 pm Post subject: great fun playing the mod Reply with quote

It was over a year ago since i last played cc and recently decided to give the rhineland mod a go.
Great mod, surprisingly well balanced.
UI, maps, stratmap, data all very well done.

This mod has me hooked to cc again.
Just wanted to say thanks for making this mod and reminding an old cc player what a great game it still is.

Pete

Rep: 118.1
votes: 12

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 9:39 am Post subject: Re: great fun playing the mod Reply with quote

Thank you Aetius , I appreciate your comments! I agree with you that a mod can bring people back to playing the game again as it happend to me more than once.
I am glad you find it balanced even though it is only a beta and the battle groups need work. Some FJ battle groups are too strong for instance. Historically there was no balance to speak off  Very Happy
Feel free to post suggestions in the beta release thread.

Dulce Bellum Inexpertis
(War is delightful to those who have no experience of it.)
Our facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/buckandpete/
Our website: https://themodsection.net/

Uberdave

Rep: 26.9

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 7:48 am Post subject: Re: great fun playing the mod Reply with quote

Hear, hear!

I'm writing up some new 'reviews' of recent mods I've played, Rhineland being one of them. I'll post more later.

Berger

Rep: 28.4

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2021 5:50 pm Post subject: Re: great fun playing the mod Reply with quote

I also find this mod very fun and I recommend it.

I played several H2H campaigns as a German and I have to say that he is a sort of Kobayashi Maru*, that is, the triumph for the Germans is to ensure that the defeat is not overwhelming. If the allied plays his cards right, he can end with a total victory.

The fact that the disbanded groups do not return adds depth to the strategic level. You must be very careful with your movements.

My tips for playing as German:

Wait in the back for the ally. If you place the troops in front of him he will wipe out you.

In the current version snipers are worthless except to spot, it is better to use LMG.

At the beginning of the campaign try to establish lines in narrow strips, for example Tetelrath - Erkelenz - Grevenbroich, and take advantage of natural obstacles such as rivers. Block the bridges.

Use armored bgs to fill gaps or recover vls, not German infantry because allied bgs are faster (especially if they have high cohesion).

Use sturmtiger as indirect fire. Only against armor if you don't have anything else.

Check your ammo and save bullets, German infantry often run out of bullets (and you must scavenge weapons from fallen allies).

Merge weak infantry groups and borrow armor.

Always have an escape route to avoid encirclements.

If you can, pick a second-rank team (eg grenadiertrupp) and place away from the main fight. The team will gain some experience (useful for future battles, when you ran out of good infantry).

My tips for playing as an ally:

Do not despair because the Germans hold on to the ground. There are impregnable maps that you will have to flank (and thus force the German to retreat to avoid encirclement and cutted supply line). For example, open fields of Erkelenz are terrible with their concealed 88 destroying allied tanks at 600 meters, to conquer Erkelenz you would have to attack from Tetelrath.

Check carefully your schedule of reinforcements, you will have a lot of fresh divisions at your disposal with huge firepower.

You have crocs, they destroy everything, but their worst enemy are muddy fields.

The A26 is the only airstrike that does damage in my opinion, the other planes are weak (even the typhoon). It is better to immobilize the jagdpanther with an artillery barrage than to use an airstrike.

The Germans have few reserves and will not be able to cover the north and south, if they offer a lot of resistance in the north against the British, then attack from the south with the Americans (or vice versa).

Be careful with the FJs but hit the volksgrenadier BG.

At some point the Germans will ran out of armor or AT guns or command teams. Strike hard then but remember there will never be a shortage of panzerschrecks.

* https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kobayashi_Maru

Berger

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2021 9:09 pm Post subject: Re: great fun playing the mod Reply with quote

Useful info for Rhineland players:

Maps don't show all defensive minefields.

7.5 PaK can't pierce front armor of Crocodile and Sherman M4A3E2.

Mitchell is the most powerful airstrike, can destroy everything (for example, a Jagdpanther). Rest of airplanes are better employed against infantry and vehicles.

Sherman can't damage frontal Panthers at distances longer than 200 m.

Mortar optimal accuracy at 175 m. Minimum range 45 m for medium mortar, 75 for heavy.

2cm flak: only German gun capable to place inside building.

Sturmtiger: Minimum range 80 m, reloading time 90 seconds.

Some high buildings dont show floor number.

Some allied players find a bit confusing the entry points in the maps, so i recommend you to check the maps in the battles already available in the mod and use the scenario editor to create battles to check the rest of the maps.

Berger

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2022 11:04 pm Post subject: Re: great fun playing the mod Reply with quote

Surviving the entire campaign until the last day without being destroyed is the axis goal IMO. I prefer as strategy a fighting withdrawal to the Rhine, forming 3-maps defensive lines in narrow areas in bottom stratmap. First Huckelhoven-Erkelenz-Grevenbroich, second Tetelrath-Erkelenz-Grevenbroich, third Haus Kaen-Krefeld-Uerdingen. Defend the lines as long as possible, then retreat to the next line.

In Erkelenz place Panthers BG always, and place a second Panther BG in rearguard to rest and rotate panthers. Also deploy rookie and second rate units (for example, LW infantry) with the panthers because they will win experience. Allied should flank from Grevenbroich or Tetelrath (best allied option because you enter directly in the city).

As german you can decide to send all armor BGs to deal with the americans (Pros: you can neutralize the shermans, hampering US advance - Cons: danger of British and Canadian BGs advancing freely -> 7.5 PaK can't destroy Crocodiles, Crocs need 88s).

Theres impassible maps, but theres maps where German Infantry BGs can't make a proper defence (for example, Venlo Airfield or Moyland Forest).

Check carefully the allied entry points because you can take advantage and set up deadly ambushes that will result in allied BG disbandment. Also you can disband an allied BG that advances too deep, you can isolate it and cut his supply line. (Pros: if you disband enough BGs you can level off the allied advantage - Cons: if you pursuit a reckless disbandment strategy you can lose too much precious equipment).

You can create scenarios to study the maps and their entry points.

His tanks will be impeded in time to get the exit VL? Can i hold one more turn the map or it's time to leave now? Mud can be the answer

If youre the allied player, keep in mind that every impassable map has his circumvention: Krauts can be entrenched in Blejenbeek Castle but if you enter Weeze from Goch, germans will abandon the castle or face encirclement. Goch Approach map is a hard nut but it's easy to crack once the allied has captured the Goch Approach VL in the Bedburg-Hau and Goch maps.

Post new topicReply to topic printer-friendly view Close Combat Series Forum Index -> Mods by Buck and Pete -> Rhineland '45

Jump to: