Welcome to Close Combat Series
  Login or Register Home  ·  Downloads  ·  Forums  ·  Combat Camera  ·  Help  

Survey
Do incapacitations count as a soldier's kills?

Yes
No

Results
Polls

Votes 1179
Comments: 1

Shout Box!!

Only registered users can shout. Please login or create an account.

Main Menu
Articles & News  
    Help
    Player`s News
    Site News
    Multiplayer
    Terrain Challenge
    Boot Camp
Community  
    Forums
    Downloads
    Combat Camera
    MOOXE @ Youtube
    Statistics
Members  
    Private Messages
    Your Account
    Logout

Donations
Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
12/18/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
11/08/2021

Anonymous - $15.00
04/09/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
04/05/2021

Anonymous - $20.00
02/20/2021

Anonymous - $10.00
12/29/2020

Anonymous - $1.00
11/06/2020

ZAPPI4 - $20.00
10/10/2020

Find our site useful? Make a small donation to show your support.

Search for at
Close Combat Series Advanced Search

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Author
ScnelleMeyer

Rep: 190.3
votes: 18

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 4:02 am Post subject: Re: Afghan mod and CCMT UI update Reply with quote

Good to hear Zep! - I am trying to improve as I go forward, so all feedback is good.

Zep

Rep: 51.1

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 9:35 am Post subject: Re: Afghan mod and CCMT UI update Reply with quote

Cool. Cool Thank you for your work! Very Happy

ScnelleMeyer

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2016 11:40 pm Post subject: Re: Afghan mod and CCMT UI update Reply with quote

Total remake of all in-game graphics for CCMT Soviet-Afghan mod.

Team panels.png
 Description:
All text labels edited
 Filesize:  840.4 KB
 Viewed:  12694 Time(s)

Team panels.png

Re-make of ingame graphics.png
 Description:
Battle start
 Filesize:  809.96 KB
 Viewed:  12694 Time(s)

Re-make of ingame graphics.png

ScnelleMeyer

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 5:38 am Post subject: Re: Afghan mod and CCMT UI update Reply with quote

Still working on the Afghanistan mod - vehicles and a bit of icon testing these days, as I got fed up by editing team data.

For the vehicles I am going for paint schemes as close as I can get them to what was used in Afghan at the time. In the pic is a test with coloured team icons and an updated BRDM-2. Its scaled at 10pix pr meter and turned out to be awfully long... - It was based on a 3D model and measurements from Wikipedia... so I will see how larger vehicles in the mod turn out before adjusting it.
- I could need some feedback on the camo patterns and vehicles - good and bad. - 2 versions of each is because I tried to put in some fading and weathering to see how that would turn out.

Collection and icon test.png
 Description:
Camo vehicles
 Filesize:  32.99 KB
 Viewed:  12559 Time(s)

Collection and icon test.png

ke_mechial

Rep: 89.1
votes: 2

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 2:33 pm Post subject: Re: Afghan mod and CCMT UI update Reply with quote

ScnelleMeyer wrote (View Post):
DRA (Democratic Republic of Afghanistan) Icons.

What does people think about this style of team icons?

I like them more. They look more realistic. I think this style was first implemented in CC: TLD. I had liked it then.

I also liked the color schemes of the in-game vehicles. Excellent!  Very Happy

ScnelleMeyer

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:24 pm Post subject: Re: Afghan mod and CCMT UI update Reply with quote

Thanks for the feedback ke_mechial!

-Those who speak shall be heard!
Quote: Myself Smile

ScnelleMeyer

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 6:39 pm Post subject: Re: Afghan mod and CCMT UI update Reply with quote

For me its probably best to start out with really small maps - Here I just just snapped a quite random Google image of some place in Afghanistan. Drawing very roughly over the image - It doesnt have to be accurate at all - I am not trying to copy some real life place. Just having fun and seeing where it leads.

Google map overdraw AFA.jpg
 Description:
Random mapping
 Filesize:  1.05 MB
 Viewed:  9580 Time(s)

Google map overdraw AFA.jpg

Pzt_Kanov

Rep: 14.2
votes: 9

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2019 3:46 am Post subject: Re: Afghan mod and CCMT UI update Reply with quote

Looking good!

ScnelleMeyer

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2019 7:34 pm Post subject: Re: Afghan mod and CCMT UI update Reply with quote

Thanks Kanov.

I have worked some more on it. - Trying to find a good workflow between 2D and 3D programs.
Also testiing what textures work best together and what parametres to use for the different layers etc..

Feedback welcome - Especially tips for improvement.

3d work.png
 Description:
Blender for shadows rendering
 Filesize:  1.78 MB
 Viewed:  9507 Time(s)

3d work.png

Google map overdraw AFA v4.jpg
 Description:
WIP
 Filesize:  1.41 MB
 Viewed:  9507 Time(s)

Google map overdraw AFA v4.jpg

JFFulcrum

Rep: 77.5

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 5:51 pm Post subject: Re: Afghan mod and CCMT UI update Reply with quote

Quote:
MainScreen CCMT Afganistan.jpg

On this photo some soldiers are in non-uniform shoes. That was a popular 'field legend', that sportswear gives better chances to survive in case of step on landmine. Guess that landmines didn't actually cared about your footwear...

ScnelleMeyer

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 10:13 pm Post subject: Re: Afghan mod and CCMT UI update Reply with quote

Were you in Afghan with the Soviet Spetznas during the 80's and picked up the "legend" over there JFFulcrum?

JFFulcrum

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 9:54 am Post subject: Re: Afghan mod and CCMT UI update Reply with quote

No, i`m was too young that times, but listened those who came from that war (unlike many others...most of my age treated them as loosers, who cannot avoid the conscription). Actually, you cannot outrun the mine - Chinese 'type 69' landmine, mostly used against soviet troops there, had trigger with 1/200 second performance - blast was immediate after step on.

ScnelleMeyer

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 1:07 pm Post subject: Re: Afghan mod and CCMT UI update Reply with quote

Must have been interesting to be able to speak to those veterans JFFulcrum. However I find it very unlikely that the training standards in the VDV and Spetznas was so low that they wasnt tought about how anti-personell mines and detonators work.
In the Soviet times this would probably be something covered during basic training for any recruit.

A much more logical and plausible explanation for wearing sports shoes is the fact that the regular issued boots was found to be too heavy, warm and unsuitable for the conditions and terrain encountered in Afghanistan.

JFFulcrum

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 5:24 pm Post subject: Re: Afghan mod and CCMT UI update Reply with quote

The legend had real roots from WWII/GPW experience, when German S-mines actually HAD 4.5s delay after triggering - worthy amount of time to run away (or at least reduce damage received). And WWII-era studying was notable part of training.

Considering quality of outfit - yes, that was an issue, but unlikely such cheap, Indian-made sport shoes was suitable for rough, rocky Afghan land. Take a look at their opponents - unlikely you will find mujahid in such 'sneakers' - mostly that was a half-open, mid-sole shoes. Spetsnaz quickly starts to mimic enemy`s tactic and assets, especially during and after 'Caravan wars' since 83, so they will use same shoes instead. Some sources cite that Polish-made sportwear was used for a time by GRU, but most preferred by soldiers was an 'experimental' soviet-made polyurethane-sole boots.

Also, when talking about GRU Spetsnaz in Afghanistan, often loose some key factors:

- That was their first real war involvement (VDV also had limited after-WWII experience, mostly related to actions in Hungary and Czechoslovakia)
- They was mostly a selected, yes, but conscripts, with just a year of service
- For Afghan campaign, Spetsnaz participated from 15th dedicated brigade. Such brigades was 'cadre' units, created with intention to form a irregular resistance on enemy occupied territories in case of massive invasion.  For Afghan campaign, brigade was quickly equipped using reserves draft and attached units from other formations.

So, at least for first years of war, their level was not so great, and legend had enough space in soldier`s minds.

Badger22

Rep: 0.4

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 4:10 pm Post subject: Re: Afghan mod and CCMT UI update Reply with quote

Didn't the GRU also do some "fun stuff" in Africa before? In Angola, Mozambique, Ethiopia? And I'm fairly sure the Soviet VDV were involved in Ethiopia in the 70s as well.

JFFulcrum

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 9:21 pm Post subject: Re: Afghan mod and CCMT UI update Reply with quote

Badger22 wrote (View Post):
Didn't the GRU also do some "fun stuff" in Africa before? In Angola, Mozambique, Ethiopia? And I'm fairly sure the Soviet VDV were involved in Ethiopia in the 70s as well.

That`s popular mistake in Soviet studies. Support for 'friendly' regimes, by military advisors and regular units, was not GRU (4th 'upravlenie'/directorate) area, but other Soviet General Staff part, 10th 'upravlenie'/directorate, GU MVS. Legend about VDV deployment in Ethiopia comes from first chief military advisor in country, VDV general P.Chaplygin, and from fact that some VDV equipment was donated to Ethiopia military. For example, when pro-Somalian forces captured several soviet soldiers and officers in 1978, nearly all of them was from rear support - drivers, radio operators, medics, even finance staff (all of them was later executed in Somalia). Most battlefiled duties was done by Cuban forces.

The only regular Soviet units directly involved was from Navy - especially in Ethiopia (during conflict with Eritrea secession, including amphibious assault at Massawa and several clashes in sea with Eritrean fleet) and in Angola (where Soviet ships was a target for South Africa frogmens and, still unconfirmed, the only underwater fight between soviet and SA combat divers had place).

Badger22

Rep: 0.4

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 2:12 pm Post subject: Re: Afghan mod and CCMT UI update Reply with quote

Oh, thanks, that's awesome, sources on this topic are murky at best, even in Russian. But well, much of it must still be under the seal of secrecy, so we mere mortals won't know before a couple decades, if that is ever declassified some day!
But yeah, after some extra research, the BMD/ASU-ùounted air assault unit was Cuban, and only used Soviet kit.

JFFulcrum

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 5:22 pm Post subject: Re: Afghan mod and CCMT UI update Reply with quote

Quote:
But well, much of it must still be under the seal of secrecy, so we mere mortals won't know before a couple decades, if that is ever declassified some day!

Right now Russia returned to Africa, with mirages of russian soldiers seems to be everywhere, according to US. This may outcome in greater secrecy, to conceal current operations, but may lead to some leaks and whistleblowing about past, useful for information war.

stratweg

Rep: 35.9
votes: 2

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2023 7:22 pm Post subject: Re: Afghan mod and CCMT UI update Reply with quote

Nice work scnelleMeyer

If you need a user to test your Afghan mod, I am ready Wink

ScnelleMeyer

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2023 7:55 pm Post subject: Re: Afghan mod and CCMT UI update Reply with quote

Thanks, but it needs more work Stratweg.

Post new topicReply to topic printer-friendly view Close Combat Series Forum Index -> Close Combat Modern Tactics
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Jump to: