Welcome to Close Combat Series
  Login or Register Home  ·  Downloads  ·  Forums  ·  Combat Camera  ·  Help  

Survey
Do incapacitations count as a soldier's kills?

Yes
No

Results
Polls

Votes 1179
Comments: 1

Shout Box!!

Only registered users can shout. Please login or create an account.

Main Menu
Articles & News  
    Help
    Player`s News
    Site News
    Multiplayer
    Terrain Challenge
    Boot Camp
Community  
    Forums
    Downloads
    Combat Camera
    MOOXE @ Youtube
    Statistics
Members  
    Private Messages
    Your Account
    Logout

Donations
Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
12/18/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
11/08/2021

Anonymous - $15.00
04/09/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
04/05/2021

Anonymous - $20.00
02/20/2021

Anonymous - $10.00
12/29/2020

Anonymous - $1.00
11/06/2020

ZAPPI4 - $20.00
10/10/2020

Find our site useful? Make a small donation to show your support.

Search for at
Close Combat Series Advanced Search

Author
benvandumpelen

Rep: 4.4

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2020 9:24 pm Post subject: How to make Grille and howitzers to fire indirectly? Reply with quote

how do I edit that my Grille, 7,5cm inf gesch.18, etc, to fire indirectly? Like Schnelleschneider was going to do. I edited the weapon in weapons file (put HE and SM to indirect fire, kept HEAT on direct fire). But in combat they don't work like mortars..they seem to work as normal....

All help welcome. Is there still somebody here?

Ben

ScnelleMeyer

Rep: 190.3
votes: 18

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2020 10:00 pm Post subject: Re: How to make Grille and howitzers to fire indirectly? Reply with quote

Hey benvandumpelen, I will hook you up with the files like I wrote you in the PM.

Then you will be able to look at the data files and see how I did it.
Thing is a gun can be either 1. Direct or 2. Indirect - Not both at the same time.
The way I solved this was to add another gun to the indirect self propelled guns for firing direct. Setting range limitations on both the direct and indirect guns to control what gun is firing at what distance.

For GUNS - Infantry guns and other artillery its not possible to give them 2 guns as for the vehicles, so guns can either be indirect fire only, or direct fire only.

Pete

Rep: 118.1
votes: 12

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2020 10:09 pm Post subject: Re: How to make Grille and howitzers to fire indirectly? Reply with quote

You can't use different types of fire for different types of ammo for the same gun. It's either all indirect or all direct in my experience with modding other versions of the game.
Having SP artillery fire indirectly is mostly avoided in modding and indeed the stock games, since it would give the player an unfair advantage, being able to fire heavy weapons at targets all over the map.
Forward Observers are mimicked by giving them direct fire artillery. This requires them to acquire a clear line of sight on the target.

Dulce Bellum Inexpertis
(War is delightful to those who have no experience of it.)
Our facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/buckandpete/
Our website: https://themodsection.net/

benvandumpelen

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2020 3:38 pm Post subject: Re: How to make Grille and howitzers to fire indirectly? Reply with quote

Thank you so much Scellemeyer and Pete,

I tried to give different ammo different fire directions, that was my mistake apparently!

Good point with the heavy fire all over the map....I just hoped to give both sides an advantage Smile Scellemeyer also said that reload times for example are quite long for 15cm..
I just thought, what a waste of ordenance, all these artillery used in direct fire (getting destroyed like flies), while designed (and mainly used) for indirect fire...but I can get the point of that it is basically artillery units that accidently are caught up in a frontline situation and then making the best of it in direct contact with the enemy..

Maybe only modding the Grille to indirect and the M8 HMC?

ScnelleMeyer

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2020 3:57 pm Post subject: Re: How to make Grille and howitzers to fire indirectly? Reply with quote

Allright, I found the data with the indirect values edited in for the Grille and M8 HMC.
There are probably some other edits in this data as well, but if you just cut out or look at the relevant lines you should be good to go.

Good luck

Edit: the zip is now attached.

PITF indirect fire data.zip
 Description:
Indirect fire data solution

Download
 Filename:  PITF indirect fire data.zip
 Filesize:  341.05 KB
 Downloaded:  321 Time(s)

benvandumpelen

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2020 5:50 pm Post subject: Re: How to make Grille and howitzers to fire indirectly? Reply with quote

Thank you Scnellemeyer!

I had it working, but just with one weapon doing indirect firing. I just forgot to make the weapon type to 'mortar' in the weapons.txt (and the at the fire direction per ammo type) and then it worked. Your double weapon is more elegant of course

benvandumpelen

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2020 5:52 pm Post subject: Re: How to make Grille and howitzers to fire indirectly? Reply with quote

Scnellemeyer,

Somebody commented that making these weapons fire indirectly gives you too much firepower (anywhere you want), what do you think?

At least Grille and M8 HMC to indirect firing might balance it out a bit?

ScnelleMeyer

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2020 8:14 pm Post subject: Re: How to make Grille and howitzers to fire indirectly? Reply with quote

I think they are a fun addition, but I normally dont bring more than one of them to battle at a time. However I dont find them to overpowering, but mind you I reduced effectiveness of HE, by tuning the terrain protection values up and some tuning of weapons data for HE as well. A bonus of this kind of mod is that the AI plays them pretty well.
So I see this as with all other modding - its very individual what you like your game to be like.

Post new topicReply to topic printer-friendly view Close Combat Series Forum Index -> Close Combat Panthers in the Fog

Jump to: