Welcome to Close Combat Series
  Login or Register Home  ·  Downloads  ·  Forums  ·  Combat Camera  ·  Help  

Survey
Do incapacitations count as a soldier's kills?

Yes
No

Results
Polls

Votes 1179
Comments: 1

Shout Box!!

Only registered users can shout. Please login or create an account.

Main Menu
Articles & News  
    Help
    Player`s News
    Site News
    Multiplayer
    Terrain Challenge
    Boot Camp
Community  
    Forums
    Downloads
    Combat Camera
    MOOXE @ Youtube
    Statistics
Members  
    Private Messages
    Your Account
    Logout

Donations
Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
12/18/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
11/08/2021

Anonymous - $15.00
04/09/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
04/05/2021

Anonymous - $20.00
02/20/2021

Anonymous - $10.00
12/29/2020

Anonymous - $1.00
11/06/2020

ZAPPI4 - $20.00
10/10/2020

Find our site useful? Make a small donation to show your support.

Search for at
Close Combat Series Advanced Search

Author
FreeKing

Rep: 26.9
votes: 4

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2020 4:59 pm Post subject: Getting Mods Running on the Steam Versions Reply with quote

I was talking to MOOXE in Discord yesterday, and he requested that I put up a post about getting mods running on the steam versions of the re-releases. It's a simple process, but it does require you know a little bit about moving around in program files and such. Even if you don't know much about it, I'll walk you through it. The main thing here is to get Steam to work with the D/ switch in the game's launch options in the library, or a shortcut on your desktop, so you don't have to replace any stock files.

The first thing you're going to do is verify your game's local files, bring everything up to its most up to date and making sure there are no corrupted files. If you're inclined, a reinstall would do the trick, too. MOOXE had mentioned that the method I'm about to show you was working fine, until a patch had been installed on the Steam version of LSA. Basically, what happened is that the patch had overwritten any changes he'd made, so I want to make sure that before you do this that you have a clean install or verified files for the game.

If you don't know how to verify your game's files, get Steam open and go to the Library. Once there, find the game you want to use a mod with and right-click on it. In the list that pops up, go to Properties. A new window opens with three tabs along the top - General, Updates and Local Files. Go to Local Files. There, you'll find a button called "Verify Integrity of Game Files...". Click that and you're good. Steam will now check the game's files and make sure they're all what they need to be, and anything missing or modified is added or replaced by the stock file.

Now that the game is all good to go, it's time to get it ready for using the D/ switch and running mods. This will work on any of the steam releases, except for Cross of Iron, which comes with ModSwap, anyway, so there's no need to do anything to it in terms of using mods.

- Go to the game's main directory. I'll be using Panthers in the Fog as an example. This is the location for me: D:\Steam\steamapps\common\Close Combat  Panthers in the Fog

- Find CCE.exe and autorun.exe.

- Make a copy of both and put them somewhere as a backup. I usually just make a BACKUP folder in the game's directory and put the copies in there.

- Now, delete autorun.exe and rename CCE.exe to autorun.exe. Steam starts the game via autorun.exe, and renaming CCE.exe is easier than going into Steam and changing config files to run a different file.

- That's it. You're done. Put your mod's folder in there, and use the D/ switch, as usual. You can do it by using a shortcut on your desktop or by using the game's launch options in your Steam library.

If you don't know how to do launch options, right-click on the game in the steam library and go to properties. Under the General tab, there's a button called "Launch Options...". Click that and put the D/ switch in there. It work the same way as the physical disc/digital download version of Matrix/Slitherine, just via the Steam UI, rather than making a shortcut to the game's main executable.

Let me know if you guys have any issues. I'll do what I can to help you out.

-FreeKing

Berger

Rep: 28.4

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2020 9:34 pm Post subject: Re: Getting Mods Running on the Steam Versions Reply with quote

This Firefox's manual install works for GJS and Rhineland

https://firefoxccmods.com/wp/download/close-combat-lsa-gold-juno-sword-steam-manual-install/

dj

Rep: 157.1
votes: 9

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2020 7:07 am Post subject: Re: Getting Mods Running on the Steam Versions Reply with quote

Anyone have any luck getting Mods running on the GOG.com version of games?  I remember reading a thread about that while ago don't think anyone figured out how to do that?

https://www.gog.com/game/close_combat_3_the_russian_front
mods such as Real Red for CC3 with the auto-installer .exe might be easier I would assume

FreeKing

Rep: 26.9

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2020 9:35 pm Post subject: Re: Getting Mods Running on the Steam Versions Reply with quote

dj wrote (View Post):

Anyone have any luck getting Mods running on the GOG.com version of games?  I remember reading a thread about that while ago don't think anyone figured out how to do that?

https://www.gog.com/game/close_combat_3_the_russian_front
mods such as Real Red for CC3 with the auto-installer .exe might be easier I would assume

I had some luck on CC5, anyway. Because the GOG version has the latest .exe, but no requirement for a CD, some old CC5 mods won't work on it, because the mod uses the older .exe that requires a CD to run. You can use the data and maps and such, but uniform colors and such that are inside the CC5 .exe won't work on the GOG version if the mod uses the older version of it.

I know it's not CC3, but maybe it points you in the right direction to someone who would know better than I do about that game.

Rektopus

Rep: 0.2

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 9:28 pm Post subject: Re: Getting Mods Running on the Steam Versions Reply with quote

Hi,

I'm new to the forums, I'm having a blast playing the old CC games again. I bought Last Stand Arnhem and Cross of Iron on Steam.
I finished the 2 grand campaigns in Cross of Iron and I would like to try some mods now.
You mentioned that Cross of Iron comes with ModSwap? can you elaborate on that, please? How does this work with Steam?

I will try to install a mod on Last Stand Arnhem using your guide this weekend.
Thanks.

Berger

Rep: 28.4

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 7:13 pm Post subject: Re: Getting Mods Running on the Steam Versions Reply with quote

https://firefoxccmods.com/wp/download/close-combat-lsa-gold-juno-sword-steam-manual-install/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9PuU22z0GLw

mooxe

Rep: 221.1
votes: 25

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2021 10:08 pm Post subject: Re: Getting Mods Running on the Steam Versions Reply with quote

I have figured out how to create installers to avoid manual or plugin install.

LSA mods GJS and Rhineland45 both have an auto installer that works for Steam/GOG/Matrix versions.

Steam released a tiny update for TLD which solves the problems encountered, the auto installers work again for TLD now.

Post new topicReply to topic printer-friendly view Close Combat Series Forum Index -> The Mess -> Tech Support

Jump to: