Welcome to Close Combat Series
  Login or Register Home  ·  Downloads  ·  Forums  ·  Combat Camera  ·  Help  

Survey
Do incapacitations count as a soldier's kills?

Yes
No

Results
Polls

Votes 1179
Comments: 1

Shout Box!!

Only registered users can shout. Please login or create an account.

Main Menu
Articles & News  
    Help
    Player`s News
    Site News
    Multiplayer
    Terrain Challenge
    Boot Camp
Community  
    Forums
    Downloads
    Combat Camera
    MOOXE @ Youtube
    Statistics
Members  
    Private Messages
    Your Account
    Logout

Donations
Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
12/18/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
11/08/2021

Anonymous - $15.00
04/09/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
04/05/2021

Anonymous - $20.00
02/20/2021

Anonymous - $10.00
12/29/2020

Anonymous - $1.00
11/06/2020

ZAPPI4 - $20.00
10/10/2020

Find our site useful? Make a small donation to show your support.

Search for at
Close Combat Series Advanced Search

Author
Raylen52

Rep: 0.6

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2021 5:37 pm Post subject: Which CC game has best AI? (including mods) Reply with quote

As the title says.
1. Which game of the Close Combat series has the best AI?
2. Are there any mods which enhance the AI?
3. Is the AI much different between the games in this series?

I'm new to this series and I have read comments that the AI is underwhelming on the attacking side and ok on the defense.
I know there are the "Revival" mods on Mod DB for the LSA, PITF and GTC which decrese the size of the maps which in turn increases the performance of the AI but it is not a direct upgrade to the AI.

southern_land

Rep: 155.2
votes: 14

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2022 5:15 am Post subject: Re: Which CC game has best AI? (including mods) Reply with quote

CC3 or COI  smaller maps generally lead to a more aggressive AI  The Fin mod and real Romainians are hard to win - mostly through being outnumbered, outclassed and outgunned

FreeKing

Rep: 26.9
votes: 4

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2022 8:49 pm Post subject: Re: Which CC game has best AI? (including mods) Reply with quote

Raylen52 wrote (View Post):
As the title says.
1. Which game of the Close Combat series has the best AI?
2. Are there any mods which enhance the AI?
3. Is the AI much different between the games in this series?

I'm new to this series and I have read comments that the AI is underwhelming on the attacking side and ok on the defense.
I know there are the "Revival" mods on Mod DB for the LSA, PITF and GTC which decrese the size of the maps which in turn increases the performance of the AI but it is not a direct upgrade to the AI.

To answer your first question: you're not wrong there. The AI is underwhelming... when you don't change around some options and mod it a little bit.

To answer questions 2 and 3:

I've been studying the AI of the series for a year or two now. Aside from observations of the AI on smaller maps, I've made some recent discoveries that dramatically increase the performance of the AI. With a simple change of a setting, the AI performs much better, and you can use the larger stock maps if that's your preference without a drop in the AI's performance.

Go here: http://www.closecombatseries.net/CCS/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=12333

Make the DIFFLEVEL change as noted in that topic, then change the BGroups data. Together, those two changes will give you a drastically better single player experience. That said, it's your preference, meaning whichever game in the series you feel like buying and playing, have at it. In my testing so far, with the DIFFLEVEL and BGroups changes, I haven't noticed a difference in AI between games in the series, aside from Modern Tactics being too aggressive in some situations, though I wouldn't recommend Modern Tactics as your first game in the series. I recommend getting it last if you intend on having the entire series, it's more of a specialized release in the series that was developed from a training tool developed from the Close Combat engine for the Marine Corps.

Note that the AI is never going to compare to multiplayer with other human players, but with the changes I've mentioned it's a single player experience far and beyond what the stock game will give you.

If you tell me which games in the series you own, and don't want to make the BGroups changes yourself with one of the data workbooks used for modding, I'd be happy to send you a modified BGroups file for your game. I can attach it here, or feel free to PM me.

mooxe

Rep: 221.1
votes: 25

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2022 2:12 am Post subject: Re: Which CC game has best AI? (including mods) Reply with quote

southern_land wrote (View Post):
CC3 or COI  smaller maps generally lead to a more aggressive AI  The Fin mod and real Romainians are hard to win - mostly through being outnumbered, outclassed and outgunned

They are all pretty much the same, dumb. The smaller the map, the more perceived intelligence it has.

Join Discord for technical support and online games.

Raylen52

Rep: 0.6

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2022 10:52 pm Post subject: Re: Which CC game has best AI? (including mods) Reply with quote

Thank you very much FreeKing. Sorry for late reply but I was busy lately.

Currently I have only CC3 The Russian Front from GOG.
If I understand correctly original CC games have difficulty level already set to 3 unlike re-releases so I don't have to change the registry entries. I don't know what BGroups file is or where it is located but if CC3 had it I would be happy if you could attach it here.

Post new topicReply to topic printer-friendly view Close Combat Series Forum Index -> The Mess

Jump to: