Welcome to Close Combat Series
  Login or Register Home  ·  Downloads  ·  Forums  ·  Combat Camera  ·  Help  

Survey
Do incapacitations count as a soldier's kills?

Yes
No

Results
Polls

Votes 1213
Comments: 1

Shout Box!!

Only registered users can shout. Please login or create an account.

Main Menu
Articles & News  
    Help
    Player`s News
    Site News
    Multiplayer
    Terrain Challenge
    Boot Camp
Community  
    Forums
    Downloads
    Combat Camera
    MOOXE @ Youtube
    Statistics
Members  
    Private Messages
    Your Account
    Logout

Donations
Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
12/18/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
11/08/2021

Anonymous - $15.00
04/09/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
04/05/2021

Anonymous - $20.00
02/20/2021

Anonymous - $10.00
12/29/2020

Anonymous - $1.00
11/06/2020

ZAPPI4 - $20.00
10/10/2020

Find our site useful? Make a small donation to show your support.

Search for at
Close Combat Series Advanced Search

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
 Author
Pzt_Kanov

Rep: 14.2
votes: 9

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2022 5:32 pm Post subject: Re: Sharing tips for creating new vehicles. Reply with quote

I think the real secret to maintain detail is to convert the images you get from top down 3D models to SVG vectorized files, use Inkscape to do this to the png image taken in full size then reduce to required size, convert to TGA (with GIMP or photoshop) and test in game.

If you look at the tank files from CC3 you will see they have so much detail even at small sizes. Also some are like flipped sideways, for example the Tiger has the bow MG on the opposite side. Very weird, if you change it back the tilt effect and shadow effect on the image is different so I don't know if it was a bug or a decision to leave it as that (and why?) but nobody complained back then or at least I don't remember.

Pzt_Kanov

Rep: 14.2
votes: 9

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2023 7:42 pm Post subject: Re: Sharing tips for creating new vehicles. Reply with quote

found this nice blog post about vehicle creation for a hex based game, and even what seems a camouflage plug in for photoshop. Surely it can make painting vehicles much less tedious.

https://www.wargamedesignstudio.com/2016/10/07/vehicle-graphics-for-maleme-crete-and-beyond/

ScnelleMeyer

Rep: 191.3
votes: 18

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2023 8:31 pm Post subject: Re: Sharing tips for creating new vehicles. Reply with quote

I tried that PS plugin on my CS6 edition, but could not get it to work..

sample

Rep: 59.6
votes: 4

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2023 12:43 pm Post subject: Re: Sharing tips for creating new vehicles. Reply with quote

Pzt_Kanov wrote (View Post):
I think the real secret to maintain detail is to convert the images you get from top down 3D models to SVG vectorized files, use Inkscape to do this to the png image taken in full size then reduce to required size, convert to TGA (with GIMP or photoshop) and test in game.

If you look at the tank files from CC3 you will see they have so much detail even at small sizes. Also some are like flipped sideways, for example the Tiger has the bow MG on the opposite side. Very weird, if you change it back the tilt effect and shadow effect on the image is different so I don't know if it was a bug or a decision to leave it as that (and why?) but nobody complained back then or at least I don't remember.

Hello everyone,

I did run some tests using a drawing of a Marder vehicle found on internet with the following results:
- marderII-big is the original file, with unaltered size or graphic corrections
- marder II scale down, is the result of using the scale down function in Photoshop (version 24.3.0) applied directly to marderII-big file, using the size of Marder III vehicle from CC3, zoomed mode for reference. No graphic corrections were applied.
- The marder-II 8bit version is the result of the following procedure: the original file (marderII-big) was exported as .png with the option 'Smaler File 8-bit' checked, without altering the size of it; after the export, the resulting file was resized using the same Marder III vehicle from CC3, zoomed mode. Once again, no graphic correction were applied. For me at least there are far more details preserved using this method vs the first one.

My guess is, as 8bit graphic was probably the norm during '95 ~ '96, at least when the first CC version came out, the developers designed the vehicles and guns using this standard, and later switched to 16bit or 32bit.

best regards
\m/

export 8bit.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  562.37 KB
 Viewed:  1294 Time(s)

export 8bit.jpg

marder-II 8bit version.gif
 Description:
 Filesize:  3.32 KB

marder-II 8bit version.gif

marder-II scale down.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  17.01 KB

marder-II scale down.jpg

marderII-big.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  35.55 KB

marderII-big.jpg

Post new topicReply to topic printer-friendly view Close Combat Series Forum Index -> Modding Workshop
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Jump to: