Welcome to Close Combat Series
  Login or Register Home  ·  Downloads  ·  Forums  ·  Combat Camera  ·  Help  

Survey
Do incapacitations count as a soldier's kills?

Yes
No

Results
Polls

Votes 1180
Comments: 1

Shout Box!!

Only registered users can shout. Please login or create an account.

Main Menu
Articles & News  
    Help
    Player`s News
    Site News
    Multiplayer
    Terrain Challenge
    Boot Camp
Community  
    Forums
    Downloads
    Combat Camera
    MOOXE @ Youtube
    Statistics
Members  
    Private Messages
    Your Account
    Logout

Donations
Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
12/18/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
11/08/2021

Anonymous - $15.00
04/09/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
04/05/2021

Anonymous - $20.00
02/20/2021

Anonymous - $10.00
12/29/2020

Anonymous - $1.00
11/06/2020

ZAPPI4 - $20.00
10/10/2020

Find our site useful? Make a small donation to show your support.

Search for at
Close Combat Series Advanced Search

Author
FreeKing

Rep: 26.9
votes: 4

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 2:54 am Post subject: [RELEASE] GtC Small Map Mod Reply with quote

Okay, guys. You know the drill. Follow the link and reap the rewards of an AI brought back to its roots on small maps and victory location placement that suits good gameplay against it.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/lav9z8b5ul4bwnn/FK%20Small%20Maps%20GtC%20v1.0.zip?dl=0

EDIT: And as was the case with the PitF maps, removing the FPools file from DATA/BASE will yield just as good a result as without it. It's really a matter of preference, but you'll get MUCH more intense battles out of the higher amounts of units. It's a hell of a fight.

Red

Rep: 39.8

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 5:11 pm Post subject: Re: [RELEASE] GtC Small Map Mod Reply with quote

Many thanks!

GeneralSauce

Rep: 39.3

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 5:21 am Post subject: Re: [RELEASE] GtC Small Map Mod Reply with quote

Good work!

reconscout

Rep: 60.5

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:54 pm Post subject: Re: [RELEASE] GtC Small Map Mod Reply with quote

Thank you so much

that which does not kill you makes you stronger

molotovb

Rep: 0.1

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2021 12:02 am Post subject: Re: [RELEASE] GtC Small Map Mod Reply with quote

Thank you very much, sir! GTC has a bunch of potential, and I think your mod is a huge step forward.

Loving the smaller maps, but the max unit allowance makes the game very unwieldly for me - the monotony of placing that many half-teams for every mission wears on me. To control that number of teams in real time makes the game start to feel like a Starcraft kind of click fest. I just don't have time to make interesting tactical decisions for dozens of units.

That said, I think the default unit limits are super restrictive. I'd like to bump the team units up to full squads like the classic CC games, which I think I know how to do. I'd also like to find some sort of comfortable middle ground between the default team limits and the completely unrestricted team limits in your mod. Is this something I can do with a couple of number changes in the DATA text files?

Thanks so much for your help and your mod!

Bendit

Rep: 9.5
votes: 1

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2023 2:47 am Post subject: Re: [RELEASE] GtC Small Map Mod Reply with quote

Excited and grateful to see you bringing your ideas to GtC, FreeKing. Unfortunately I think your dropbox link in the first post might be dead.  Sad

dj

Rep: 157.1
votes: 9

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2023 3:29 am Post subject: Re: [RELEASE] GtC Small Map Mod Reply with quote

Yes not working unfortunately.  However thanks for this, totally agree smaller maps like CC2 or CC3 were way better for AI gameplay.

Bendit

Rep: 9.5
votes: 1

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2023 1:05 am Post subject: Re: [RELEASE] GtC Small Map Mod Reply with quote

Good news. Hopefully FreeKing will be back, but in the meantime it looks like he's uploaded this mod to Moddb.
https://www.moddb.com/mods/revival-mod

Jatke

Rep: 69.7
votes: 7

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2023 1:16 pm Post subject: In lieu of smaller maps Reply with quote

While CC's grand campaigns are the big draw, I find maximum AI aggression is in single untimed battles without FM -- a fight to the last man. However the fixed map VLs with their entry/exits are designed for ops and camps and theyre fixed positions make them stale after a while. So I keep an alternate BTD folder in /Maps for use in single battles and use mafi's BTD editor to shuffle and edit VLs.

For single battle .btds all entry/exits get deleted because the AI tends to ignore 1pt VLs, plus they're unnecessary. Without any, deployment reverts to CC2/3 style with the Allies on left map third, Axis on the right third and the middle third neutral. Without any VLs at all, you can play a battle but the game will crash at the end. However, for single battles I use one 1pt Allied [-3] and one Axis [-4] reinforcement entry area per map.

The other VLs get concentrated in one area of the map and the AI will deploy and act accordingly, effectively mimicking a small map by focusing the action on the area with VLs. Replacing VL names with a period [.] obscures that VLs value to the player introducing a level of uncertainty to any victory calculations. Your VL total is always in doubt when 2 & 3pt VLs look the same. The AI will always sees the VL value in the .btd. Using fewer VLs generally improves AI performance.

Test VL edits with SEE ENEMY on. Step and repeat until you get the desired AI behavior. Save the .btd and game file in the same folder for future use. Since the .btd is scenario specific any special instructions can be noted in the .btd briefing text.

Std ops and camps can be played untimed, w/o FM, last man too using the house rule that the attacking BG must disband if it doesnt take the entire map in any single battle. Nail biting fun when the AI's last unit is the final boss determining whether your few surviving soldiers will achieve total victory or disband in defeat.

Post new topicReply to topic printer-friendly view Close Combat Series Forum Index -> Close Combat Gateway to Caen

Jump to: