Update thread
Select messages from
# through # Forum FAQ
[/[Print]\]

Close Combat Series -> Rhineland '45

#1: Update thread Author: PeteLocation: Nijmegen, Netherlands PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 8:20 pm
    —
Hey guys,

It's been a while since our last update on the progress of the Rhineland mod. After the release of the Ortona I took some time off of modding and then went on reading reports and background information on the Rhineland Campaign. Perhaps interesting to point out here is that there was a huge difference in the nature of the two campaigns Veritable and Grenade. The British moved on cautiously, with limited objectives and huge artillery preparations. The Americans dashed across the Rhineland plains with great audacity, in some instances perhaps even recklessly. It worked well because the Germans had depleted the defenses in the south in favour of the defenses in the north where the British and Canadians were assaulting. There was no armour to stop the Americans. At some occasions however there were some German armour counter-attacks that collided head on with the American armoured onslaught. For the Germans these seemed like big battles (and in some reports they are making a big deal out of it). To the Americans they were merely a temporary halt of the offensive in that particular sector. Left and right of the battle they just drove on.

Concerning the mod, we are still in the stage of determining what battle groups to create. I am considering to incorporate armour in the British BG's and create separate armoured BG's for the US units. Being peculiar about battle locations I am twisting Buck's arm to redraw some of the maps he made and create a couple of new ones at the expense of already finished maps.
Apart from that, Buck is going to follow a college level course that will reduce the time he can spend on this project. We are making progress but it is going to be a bit slower. No ETA! Mind you, those 64 maps also have to be coded...

Cheers

Pete

#2: Re: Update thread Author: BungarraLocation: Murchison region, West Australia PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:37 pm
    —
Can you recommend some reading on this please Pete

#3: Re: Update thread Author: PeteLocation: Nijmegen, Netherlands PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:38 pm
    —
Hey Bungarra, yes I can :
For narratives from the Allied perspective check these links:
http://www.ibiblio.org/hyperwar/USA/USA-E-Last/index.html#index
http://www.history.army.mil/books/wwii/Siegfried/Siegfried%20Line/siegfried-fm.htm

Some general links:
http://www.canadiansoldiers.com/history/campaigns/northwesteurope/rhineland.htm
http://www.xixcorps.nl/index.htm
http://www.royaltankregiment.com/9_RTR/tech/reichswald/Reichswald%20Report.htm

On Sturmpanzer.com look for nara FMS reports such as B152, B215, B368, B051, B739, B830 to name but a few.

Books:
Battle of the Reichswald by Peter Elstob
The Battle for the Rhineland by R.W. Thompson
Plus a variety of German books of which I find Heinz Bosch' "Der Zweite Weltkrieg zwischen Rhein und Maas" invaluable. It focuses in detail on actions by German paratroopers.

On Youtube search for "Krieg am Niederrhein" .

Enjoy!

#4: Re: Update thread Author: Gunsche PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:18 pm
    —
Hi Pete,
Any news to report?
Curious to know how things are going for you and Im quite looking forward to playing this unusal subject.  Wink

#5: Re: Update thread Author: PeteLocation: Nijmegen, Netherlands PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 11:50 am
    —
Hey Gunsche,

The news is that there is little news to report! Buck has redrawn a number of maps and we are reconsidering the locations of several others. The Hochwald layback for instance is now covered by 2 maps. We are considering removing one in favour of a map of Udem ridge. The reason that we are still debating map locations is that Veritable and Blockbuster alone could be covered by 64 maps because of the many battle sites and that it takes time to determine the significance of these battles and then translate into a well balanced stratmap. Apart from that, as mentioned before, Buck's time is mostly spend on his studies while I am taking it slow myself. I am not in a hurry  Wink

#6: Re: Update thread Author: Gunsche PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 3:19 pm
    —
Ah, ok.
I know the feeling about the maps, had the same issue with the maps for my mod for LSA.
Removed the Valburg map only to discovered it was infact a lot more important than it was so I had to add it back  Laughing

#7: Re: Update thread Author: PeteLocation: Nijmegen, Netherlands PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 8:25 pm
    —
Update: we are looking for help on how to create a stratmap for this mod in LSA. Considering that there is no stratmap tool available as is for CC5 everything has to be done manually. A daunting task and checking the LSA workbook I feel completely overwhelmed. No idea how what to next. Buck's time is still being spent on his studies so that we need someone who has experience with creating a new stratmap for LSA to explain us how we should do this (and the btd's etc.). We are not looking for someone to do this for us.

#8: Re: Update thread Author: platoon_michaelLocation: Right behind you PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 8:38 pm
    —
Have a look at Mafi's BED9

It can help with the BTD's and also the strategic map.
I think your still gonna have to enter the hot points manually.

You can also have a look at Strat Map Editor and see if that helps in any way.

Good luck.
Its a daunting task but not impossible.

#9: Re: Update thread Author: TejszdLocation: Canada PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 3:19 am
    —
You could make the strat map for CC5 and convert/move it to LSA....

#10: Re: Update thread Author: PeteLocation: Nijmegen, Netherlands PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 11:28 am
    —
Thanks guys, I didnot realize that some of these tools existed. Also didnot realize that the stratmap editor for CC5 would handle the LSA stratmap. Does it actually work with 64 maps?

#11: Re: Update thread Author: DAK_Legion PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 3:08 pm
    —
Idea...

You can make a new strat with old strattool...

First make 44 areas and export all coordenates in a txt..stratoolcontain this option

After you make a strat with 20  maps and export coordenates

Fusion firstly and second stratmap

Rename the second stratmapareas and number of arrows

#12: Re: Update thread Author: ke_mechial PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 5:08 pm
    —
Any updates guys?

#13: Re: Update thread Author: PeteLocation: Nijmegen, Netherlands PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 7:41 pm
    —
Yes, I can give you an update: Buck is coding the maps. I am working on creating battles and the forcepools. Once all maps have been coded we will have a go at the stratmap. Data are working so far and I have been playing battles on the LSA maps. We are trying to get this finalized in 6 months.

#14: Re: Update thread Author: Schmal_Turm PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 9:56 pm
    —
Thanks for the update Pete. Really looking forward to this one. Especially on one of the newer games where you can move reserve units into maps without leaving them.

#15: Re: Update thread Author: tripwireLocation: Florida - USA PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 1:41 am
    —
Yes, thank you for the update, Pete.  Looks like I'm gonna have 'ta buy LSA for this one.  Smile

#16: Re: Update thread Author: Ivan_Zaitzev PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 2:15 am
    —
Yes, this mod is getting amazing! It's great that you are doing it for LSA. Will you make use of the ability to blow bridges?

#17: Re: Update thread Author: TejszdLocation: Canada PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 4:05 am
    —
Thanks for the update Pete!

LSA is a good foundation for CC mods, just wish it was as easy to move CC5 mods to as TLD/WAR but for net new it should be fine....

#18: Re: Update thread Author: ke_mechial PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 7:54 am
    —
Yeah, that means we will have to buy LSA  Very Happy ... But it will be certainly worth it... Thanks guys for your efforts, modding is what makes Close Combat ...

#19: Re: Update thread Author: PeteLocation: Nijmegen, Netherlands PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 7:05 pm
    —
I am hoping it's gonna be good. As of yet I have no plans to enable blowing up bridges though or enable assault crossings as both options would not be required for this mod. There will be maps with bridges but those maps are Rhine bridge maps on the right side of the stratmap. Those maps will be your targets as the Allied player.

#20: Re: Update thread Author: PeteLocation: Nijmegen, Netherlands PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 2:53 pm
    —
There is room in the mod for the SturmTiger if anyone can provide me with a decent vehicle graphic. I am also looking for a vehicle graphic of the Hetzer. I only got one in winter camo grey...

Thanks

#21: Re: Update thread Author: tripwireLocation: Florida - USA PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 6:26 pm
    —
Here's a fantastic model and various photos in the attached archive:

Last edited by tripwire on Fri Jan 02, 2015 11:08 pm; edited 1 time in total

#22: Re: Update thread Author: PeteLocation: Nijmegen, Netherlands PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 8:25 pm
    —
Hi Tripwire, thanks for the reply but I am looking for an in-game vehicle graph. I am sure there must be a mod that has already featured the SturmTiger. Can anyone point me in the direction? Same for the Hetzer.
Thanks,

#23: Re: Update thread Author: ke_mechial PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 8:40 pm
    —
I remember while playing, Operation Market Garden mod of TLD, I came across Sturmtiger and Ferdinand. It possibly features Hetzer, too. And just for Hetzer, WAR original or VetBoB mods could be used I suppose. By the way, in the matrix forum I saw a post from 2012 which informs people about the upcoming mod, did you really include Pershing tank? :)

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3062372

Last edited by ke_mechial on Fri Jan 02, 2015 8:49 pm; edited 1 time in total

#24: Re: Update thread Author: Ivan_Zaitzev PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 8:47 pm
    —
I only have line drawings of the Sturmtiger top view, maybe you could try and paint them.

As for the Hetzer, could you use this?

EDIT: Found one for the Sturmtiger but it's not a very good resolution:
http://militarymodels.co.nz/wp-content/uploads/PPA5096.jpg
http://www.panzerfux.de/panzerfux_e/prodpic/1-35-Camo-Mask-for-Sturmtiger-J-s-Work-PPA-5096_b_0.JPG

#25: Re: Update thread Author: Buck_ComptonLocation: Netherlands PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 10:32 pm
    —
Hey guys,

Thanks for your interest in our project. I added a picture of the newest map I have made for the mod its a town Erkelenz just behind the rur river. It was a major crossroads an communication center in the German defense. This town gave acces to the routes to Mönchen-Gladbach and Venlo. I'm now on about 75% of the coding work. When that is done I will get to work on a stratmap and detailing of the maps.

@ke_mechial: Yes it is true that I posted that. Pete and I have discussed this subject. How things are looking right now I fear it wont be included into the mod as the Pershing tank doesn't seem to be used in combat operations noth of the line Aachen - Cologne.

Cheers Buck

Erkelenz.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.54 MB
 Viewed:  493 Time(s)

Erkelenz.jpg

#26: Re: Update thread Author: tripwireLocation: Florida - USA PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 11:08 pm
    —
Beautiful map, Buck!  I really love your map work.

#27: Re: Update thread Author: ke_mechial PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 8:14 am
    —
@Buck_Compton:

Nice map! hope to play on it soon...

Yeah, for the sake of historical realism, pershing no problem....

#28: Re: Update thread Author: ke_mechial PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 6:31 pm
    —
ke_mechial wrote (View Post):
I remember while playing, Operation Market Garden mod of TLD, I came across Sturmtiger and Ferdinand. It possibly features Hetzer, too. And just for Hetzer, WAR original or VetBoB mods could be used I suppose. By the way, in the matrix forum I saw a post from 2012 which informs people about the upcoming mod, did you really include Pershing tank? :)

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3062372

Sorry, was confused, not "Operation Market Garden mod of TLD", A Bridge too Far mod for WAR Smile

#29: Re: Update thread Author: TejszdLocation: Canada PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 8:18 pm
    —
The map looks great Buck_Compton!

#30: Re: Update thread Author: PeteLocation: Nijmegen, Netherlands PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 10:17 pm
    —
Turns out that Buck already had a very nice vehicle graph of the SturmTiger. The Hetzer image I found in Firefox's 1946 mod is also very useful but I am going try the image found by Ivan_Zaitzev too.
Thanks guys.

#31: Re: Update thread Author: TejszdLocation: Canada PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 10:37 pm
    —
New toys for the boys in the mod!!!

#32: Re: Update thread Author: PeteLocation: Nijmegen, Netherlands PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 11:45 pm
    —
I think it's worth mentioning that the Sturmtiger actually saw combat in front of Udem and was at the time attached to the 115th Pz.Gr.Division.

#33: Re: Update thread Author: Gunsche PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 11:50 pm
    —
Pete, there is a Hetzer in GJS 4.4 for CC5 (although unused in the game).
Auhm, to be a nitpick: the tank destoyer in question isn't officialy called 'Hetzer', it's actually Jagdpanzer 38(t).
Hetzer was a project name/code name for a new TD based on the future E-10 standard panzer body.  :wink:

Just curious, how does your vehicles look like? Anything like GJS? Those are my absolute favourites ;)

Btw, any idea how long the Sturm Tigers stayed with the 15.PzGr?

#34: Re: Update thread Author: PeteLocation: Nijmegen, Netherlands PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 12:09 am
    —
I have got now 2 or 3 versions of the Jagdpanzer 38(t) (i was avoiding that name because I don't like typing it) , including the one from WAR. I have not yet compared them with the GJS vehicles.
I don't have all the info on the Sturmtigers yet. I know there were 6 of them and some or most of them had to be blown up by the Germans because they became immobilized in the mud... (What do you expect from a 68 metric ton vehicle) . I think I will just include them in the 115th PzGrDivision battle group.

#35: Re: Update thread Author: pvt_GruntLocation: Melbourne, Australia PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 5:29 am
    —
Perhaps instead of blowing up bridges as a feature you could add a "Blowing up SturmTigers" feature.  Razz

#36: Re: Update thread Author: Gunsche PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 9:34 am
    —
May I ?    :wink:

The picture is a bit zoomed in, open the picture and you get the right scale. And it looks better  Wink

Tanks.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  37.32 KB
 Viewed:  342 Time(s)

Tanks.jpg

#37: Re: Update thread Author: TejszdLocation: Canada PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 6:59 pm
    —
Those look good Gunsche!

Now if only Atomic/Matrix had kept the CC3/COI zoomed in feature we could actually play with tanks at that size (if in a city/forest/etc., as out in the open you want to see as far away as possible)....

#38: Re: Update thread Author: Drizzt PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 5:14 pm
    —
to Buck Compton: very detailed map. It's excellent. Only seems to me a bit too dark, but maybe it's just an impression (I speak about the brightness, the colors choice it's very good for me). I'm very interested about this 1945 western front mod (the first about this timeline in the western front).
After have finished this mod, can I suggest to port the Scheldt mod to TLD or LSA? Like Ortona, seems to me a real gem, but I have abandoned CC5 for various gameplay reasons.
Thanks for your constant work (Buck and Pete).

Drizzt

#39: Re: Update thread Author: Buck_ComptonLocation: Netherlands PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 6:21 pm
    —
Hello Dirzzt,

Thanks for your post it is always nice to hear that people are interested in our projects. Regarding the brightness I do not believe that colors would a bit darker especially at the end of the winter. Everything changed in one big mud pool. About porting the Scheldt, yes Peter and I have been discussing about it. It is on our list doing that. But we have a couple more projects on our list we would like to do. The same will obviously go for Ortona.

Cheers Buck and thank you again.

#40: Re: Update thread Author: Ivan_Zaitzev PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 9:46 pm
    —
One minor criticism, the chimney shadows should be over the roofs.

#41: Re: Update thread Author: Buck_ComptonLocation: Netherlands PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 11:37 pm
    —
Hahaha yes thats true missed that one thanks

#42: Re: Update thread Author: ke_mechial PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 8:42 pm
    —
Speaking of maps, I see four road barricades.  (Very nice idea by the way and realistic) I am asking because just curious and no idea about doing maps, How is it coded? Will it be crushable like a boccage by tank or demolishable by fire or act like a constant obstacle?

#43: Re: Update thread Author: PeteLocation: Nijmegen, Netherlands PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 9:54 pm
    —
Should be coded as crushable. Probably into wood rubble.

#44: Re: Update thread Author: Buck_ComptonLocation: Netherlands PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 8:06 pm
    —
Hello Guys,

Today I found some time to code the last two remaining maps. With that done we are just one more step closer to finishing this project. I do need to refine and standardize all the details.  

I've also started working on a stratmap a sample of which is shown in this post, I hope you like it. But this part of the project is still far from done as we still need to discuss some connections and the map needs to be coded.

Cheers,

Buck

Stratmap nieuw 2015.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.24 MB
 Viewed:  564 Time(s)

Stratmap nieuw 2015.jpg

#45: Re: Update thread Author: ScnelleMeyer PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 8:33 pm
    —
I like it Buck! - You are an artist.
The dirty map/paper-texture is cool, but I think even the towns, roads and rivers should be covered in the same texture as well.

Really looking forward to this one!

#46: Re: Update thread Author: TejszdLocation: Canada PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 3:30 am
    —
Very nice looking start map Buck!

#47: Re: Update thread Author: ke_mechial PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 3:45 pm
    —
It is awesome to hear again about the project, thanks for the update, stratmap looks really nice...

#48: Re: Update thread Author: Buck_ComptonLocation: Netherlands PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2015 8:52 pm
    —
Thank you guys. It is a paintstaking job. Each minor error is a reason for a crash with which i'm battling right now.

#49: Re: Update thread Author: tripwireLocation: Florida - USA PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2015 3:14 pm
    —
The strat map is just completely incredible!!!  That is some beautiful work, Buck.

Thank you for all of your efforts!

#50: Re: Update thread Author: kwenistonLocation: Netherlands PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 2:25 pm
    —
Just read the updates on this, very much looking forward to this mod. GL Buck and Pete, great work so far!

Just have a few spelling comments on the stratmap, if it is possible to edit: Leverkussen->Leverkusen Smile, Jullich->Jülich, Nederkruchten->Nederkrüchten, Huckelhoven->Hückelhoven, Niederkruchten->Niederkrüchten, Dulken->Dülken,

#51: Re: Update thread Author: DoktorPajLocation: Norrköping PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 10:21 pm
    —
Beautiful stratmap!

#52: Re: Update thread Author: ke_mechial PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 7:01 pm
    —
Came to my mind after reading Tripwire's post in Scheldt topic but wanted to mention in the right topic. Any updates since June guys?

#53: Re: Update thread Author: PeteLocation: Nijmegen, Netherlands PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 6:02 pm
    —
Erm yes, I thought I'd never see the day of me pushing Buck to finishing something but I am waiting for a stratmap with which I can continue working on btd's, campaigns, battles and operations. Apart from that there is a lot of fine tuning to do before we can go into the h2h test playing phase. I still don't completely understand the forcepool system. It does not do what I want.
I am hoping to get this done before the end of the year but putting an eta on paper equals jinxing the project after which all sorts of things will start going wrong. So no ETA.

#54: Re: Update thread Author: Gunsche PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 9:08 pm
    —
What is the problem with the forcepool?
The reinforcements?

#55: Re: Update thread Author: PeteLocation: Nijmegen, Netherlands PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2015 4:13 pm
    —
We have now got a working strategic map so that we are able to create test battles for every single map. There are still a ton of things to do though.

#56: Re: Update thread Author: TejszdLocation: Canada PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2015 4:41 pm
    —
Thanks for the update Pete!

#57: Re: Update thread Author: ke_mechial PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2015 7:18 pm
    —
That sounds great!

#58: Re: Update thread Author: tripwireLocation: Florida - USA PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 1:53 pm
    —
That is great news, Pete!!  Thank you for giving us this update.  Cheers!!

#59: Re: Update thread Author: PeteLocation: Nijmegen, Netherlands PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 9:42 pm
    —
Having fun placing vl's and using authentic German topographical names where possible. I mean, can you say "Muehlenfleuth" ?  Twisted Evil On the plus side, anyone in here probably knows what a "Bierkeller" is and if he does not he should visit one as soon as possible.

#60: Re: Update thread Author: tripwireLocation: Florida - USA PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 3:33 am
    —
Zwei bier, bitte.  Smile

#61: Re: Update thread Author: ke_mechial PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 5:19 pm
    —
One reason I had learned german was my job, second Close combat series...Smile

#62: Re: Update thread Author: PeteLocation: Nijmegen, Netherlands PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 6:13 pm
    —
One reason I had learned german was my job, second Close combat series...Smile

And the manual of your German car Wink

#63: Re: Update thread Author: PeteLocation: Nijmegen, Netherlands PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 6:36 pm
    —
By the way, we are using the GSGS series of topographical maps. They show a wealth of details and have been invaluable in the map making process and for VL positioning.

http://contentdm.lib.byu.edu/cdm/search/collection/GermanyMaps
https://archive.org/details/gazetteertoams1202unit

#64: Re: Update thread Author: PeteLocation: Nijmegen, Netherlands PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 7:48 pm
    —
Buck asked me to post an update, assuming you'd be hungry for news I guess. Having placed VL's and when testing maps I noticed the lack of cover on the one hand and the abundance of long LOS on the other hand due to the spread of trees in wooded areas. Often the wooded areas feel more like a tundra than anything else and I am quite dissatisfied with this aspect of the maps so I have sent Buck back to the drawing board and coding. Essentially we are going through our usual healthy discussions about what we need for a playable mod. Then there are other things on the maps that need touching up that Buck has started working on. I like the maps though, they are as historically accurate as possible within the limitations of the game and they offer a welcome change in style and I am certain that when the LOS issue is resolved they will be great to play on.
There is also the lack of cover in buildings: LOS into the middle of buildings is quite annoying and I am not sure what we are doing wrong. Same for spottability of units in buildings but I suspect that the AI has deliberately been given an advantage there. I will have to examine if changes within the elements file can resolve these issues.
Unfortunately the mod is not CTD free and I am not yet sure if these are the usual bugs or not. Needs further testing and comparing. Data files are updated when needed. Datawise I currently don't see any major obstacles that could unnecessarily delay the release of the mod . The one limiting factor is the amount of free time we are willing to spend on this project.
ETA (dare I say it) early Feb 2016.

#65: Re: Update thread Author: ScnelleMeyer PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 8:41 pm
    —
You said it Pete! Very brave indeed.
Nice update, you guys are really modding for perfection:D
Solid research and testing, historical maps used, maps made partly in a 3D program and the screens show the maps have that darkish -45 feeling over them.
It will be great when finished!

#66: Re: Update thread Author: ke_mechial PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 9:24 pm
    —
Thanks for the update Pete. I will gladly wait until all the issues are resolved, even past the Feb 2016. You and Buck created  this mod and it is nice that you do not release it until you feel satisfied about it. Thanks again for your dedication and good luck on finishing!...

#67: Re: Update thread Author: tripwireLocation: Florida - USA PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 1:08 pm
    —
Thank you, Pete (and Buck), for this info update.  ScnelleMeyer said it all very well.... especially the mood that you guys have created with that dark '45 feeling of the maps.  Keep the faith, guys!!

#68: Re: Update thread Author: TejszdLocation: Canada PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 3:21 pm
    —
Thank you for the update Pete and for the effort you and Buck are putting into this mod!!!

#69: Re: Update thread Author: PeteLocation: Nijmegen, Netherlands PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 7:04 pm
    —
I changed something in the data last weekend and since then it won't even load. It crashes at 'loading....' after doubleclicking the exe. Is this data related? I believe I changed everything back so I don't understand why this crash occurs.
Ideas anyone?

#70: Re: Update thread Author: ke_mechial PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 9:44 pm
    —
Pete wrote (View Post):
I changed something in the data last weekend and since then it won't even load. It crashes at 'loading....' after doubleclicking the exe. Is this data related? I believe I changed everything back so I don't understand why this crash occurs.
Ideas anyone?

My modding career was just editing an sfx file for my own appetit, I had then got two types of errors, loading crash and crash with error message.
I had fixed it, and the cause was the weapon indices binding the sound file number and weapons. I think it was out of index range.

By the way, GitHub is really awesome for version control and going back and forth. There are a few simple commands and that simple, I can help. And I hope you fix the issue, since southerland got his hard-drive crashed and lost his rising strom maps, community is not ready for another loss Smile

Last edited by ke_mechial on Wed Nov 18, 2015 9:50 pm; edited 1 time in total

#71: Re: Update thread Author: ScnelleMeyer PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 9:49 pm
    —
My suggestion: Start with a new, empty mod-folder and add file by file from the crashing folder. - checking function by starting game after each is added.
When crash occurs you will know that is the file causing it.

#72: Re: Update thread Author: tripwireLocation: Florida - USA PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 2:23 pm
    —
As a former Quality Control Tech... ScnelleMeyer's method has my hearty endorsement.  Wink

#73: Re: Update thread Author: PeteLocation: Nijmegen, Netherlands PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 6:41 pm
    —
I am bit puzzled about this error because I have rarely seen it before. Iirc data errors do not cause a crash until loading the battle. Minor data errors are indeed reported in a pop up window upon game start up but will not cause a crash as far as I know. Could be sounds or graphics.

#74: Re: Update thread Author: PeteLocation: Nijmegen, Netherlands PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 8:55 pm
    —
And I hope you fix the issue, since southerland got his hard-drive crashed and lost his rising strom maps, community is not ready for another loss Smile

You neednot worry about that because I have most of my work files in the Cloud  Smile

#75: Re: Update thread Author: PeteLocation: Nijmegen, Netherlands PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 9:40 pm
    —
Ok, found the error. Was in data after all:  new team referred to a new vehicle in the last line of the vehicles.txt but the total number of lines in the vehicles.txt had not been updated so that it could not find a matching vehicle.

#76: Re: Update thread Author: ScnelleMeyer PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 12:18 am
    —
Nice find Pete. Glad to see you nailed it.

So small a mistake, yet hard and frustrating to deal with.

#77: Re: Update thread Author: PeteLocation: Nijmegen, Netherlands PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 7:38 pm
    —
Apart from btd's and sounds I had updated only 3 files and at first thought it was the forcepools (or rather a new unit in the forcepools) but changing back to the previous version didnot make a difference. The next file I checked was the Alsteams. Comparing the last 2 versions I quickly found the error. Finding differences between file versions is easy: I open both files in excel and then open a third worksheet where I insert a formula to deduct the values of 1 file from the other file. Changes will show up as values other than 0.

#78: Re: Update thread Author: PeteLocation: Nijmegen, Netherlands PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 7:42 pm
    —
Also, dissatisfied as I was with the lack of protection for infantry in LSA I compared the elements of CC5 with LSA and found that LSA elements have significantly lower cover values. I am now using CC5 values and infantry is much harder to kill now.

#79: Re: Update thread Author: TejszdLocation: Canada PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 2:37 am
    —
I remember reading that the formulas in LSA were changed from previous CC games which meant the data needed to be adjusted. Maybe it was adjusted too much? Or applied to other data?

Edit: found this comment from Steve, unfortunately it doesn't tell what was affected or by how much....

"As for list of changes, no, I did not keep a list of everything I tweaked.

Why had two main reasons:

1) To make the cover and protection values work properly with the weapon penetration values
2) to standardize the movement rates
."

#80: Re: Update thread Author: PeteLocation: Nijmegen, Netherlands PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 7:21 pm
    —
I remember Steve's comment but I had not expected the differences to big so big. I might not retain the CC5 values though because artillery now is far less effective. I am going to have to find a better balance.

#81: Re: Update thread Author: PeteLocation: Nijmegen, Netherlands PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 3:52 pm
    —
Update:
We have just announced the mod in progress over at Matrix forums too. We are hoping to release a beta in February.
We made a lot of progress since the last update. What is stopping us from launching now is, well, the GC i not finished yet Wink   and there are a ton of little things that need to be looked at. Basically, it is playable but with some crashes and a weird freeze that sometimes occurs during gameplay. Might be elements file related though.

What we need now is to find out how we create the installer. Who can help out with that?

#82: Re: Update thread Author: ScnelleMeyer PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 4:24 pm
    —
Thanks for the good news Pete and Buck!
Good job guys.

Did you take a look at Bernd's Modinstaller for LSA - Its self-explanatory with an example included in the download.

#83: Re: Update thread Author: TejszdLocation: Canada PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 9:00 pm
    —
Awesome news Buck/Pete!!!

I have used Bernd's installer for Bloody Omaha and Meuse for TLD, if you any questions I'll try to answer them.

Thank you Bernd for the install creator for Matrix CC releases as it along with /D mod directory feature added by Matrix make it simple for mods to be installed and allow multiple mods to be installed without the risk of getting a corrupted installation!!!

#84: Re: Update thread Author: Gunsche PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 9:32 pm
    —
I think mooxe also can help you with the installer.

Btw, any chance that we get to see a screenshot or two?  Very Happy

#85: Re: Update thread Author: pvt_GruntLocation: Melbourne, Australia PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 9:13 am
    —
Pete wrote (View Post):

Basically, it is playable but with some crashes and a weird freeze that sometimes occurs during gameplay. Might be elements file related though.

If you worked for Matrix that would be good enough!  Embarassed

#86: Re: Update thread Author: ke_mechial PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 8:15 pm
    —
You could release a beta even without a GC, I wouldn't mind Smile

#87: Re: Update thread Author: PeteLocation: Nijmegen, Netherlands PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 10:20 pm
    —
Buck_Compton says I have to create a GC first Wink .
Patience is a virtue my friend  Smile

#88: Re: Update thread Author: PeteLocation: Nijmegen, Netherlands PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 10:21 pm
    —
ScnelleMeyer wrote (View Post):
Thanks for the good news Pete and Buck!
Good job guys.

Did you take a look at Bernd's Modinstaller for LSA - Its self-explanatory with an example included in the download.

Thanks, I will check that out.

#89: Re: Update thread Author: Buck_ComptonLocation: Netherlands PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 10:30 pm
    —
Pete wrote (View Post):

What would a decent full mod be without a GC??

#90: Re: Update thread Author: ke_mechial PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 6:01 pm
    —
Buck_Compton wrote (View Post):
Pete wrote (View Post):

I just meant to say, I am so curious and eager to see, how new maps are, new BGs, uniforms, weapons, GUI of the new mod. The mod also portraits an  era of WW2 untouched by other mods.
Of course, We all know GC is vital to every mod and admire the efforts of pete and you.

#91: Re: Update thread Author: Buck_ComptonLocation: Netherlands PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 7:38 pm
    —
Buck_Compton wrote (View Post):
Pete wrote (View Post):

I just meant to say, I am so curious and eager to see, how new maps are, new BGs, uniforms, weapons, GUI of the new mod. The mod also portraits an  era of WW2 untouched by other mods.
Of course, We all know GC is vital to every mod and admire the efforts of pete and you.

Hahaha I was just messing with you guys. I understand you guys are eager to see what we made. But I believe it will be worthwhile waiting for it!

Cheers Buck

#92: Re: Update thread Author: tripwireLocation: Florida - USA PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 11:24 pm
    —
Yes, most certainly!!  From your past efforts.... I know it will be greatly worthwhile.  Thanks for the update Buck and Pete!

#93: Re: Update thread Author: PeteLocation: Nijmegen, Netherlands PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 2:01 am
    —
We were finally able to test h2h tonight. For some reason in the multiplayer screen my internal ip is displayed and not my external ip and Gameranger won't allow me to select the modified exe. Buck has the same problems. This stopped us from testing h2h for some time.
Anyway, first test battle resulted in a 00:00 crash. No airstrike used. I don't recall what causes the 00.00 crash though. Expert opinion anyone?

#94: Re: Update thread Author: ke_mechial PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 12:42 am
    —
It is good news you have started testing. Very Happy

Pete wrote (View Post):
We were finally able to test h2h tonight. For some reason in the multiplayer screen my internal ip is displayed and not my external ip and Gameranger won't allow me to select the modified exe. Buck has the same problems. This stopped us from testing h2h for some time.
Anyway, first test battle resulted in a 00:00 crash. No airstrike used. I don't recall what causes the 00.00 crash though. Expert opinion anyone?

I am not an expert, but why don't you use the standard exe and check if Gameranger error persists? If yes, then it is the router or network, not the modification to .exe.
Are you testing H2H in single battle or campaign mode?

#95: Re: Update thread Author: Buck_ComptonLocation: Netherlands PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 3:02 am
    —
It is good news you have started testing. Very Happy

I am not an expert, but why don't you use the standard exe and check if Gameranger error persists? If yes, then it is the router or network, not the modification to .exe.
Are you testing H2H in single battle or campaign mode?

We tried that allready. I've spoken with Mooxe about this error. GR only seems to accept an original copy of the game. Seemingly it wont accept any sort of modded version of CC:LSA. I even tried Rhineland with the original exe but that doesn't fix our issue.

Cheers Buck

#96: Re: Update thread Author: TejszdLocation: Canada PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 6:44 am
    —
Hi Pete,

I do not think anyone has pinned down what causes the 0:00 crash. I believe it is still happens in all versions of CC since 5. The only good thing is it is rare, how often is it occurring to you guys?

#97: Re: Update thread Author: PeteLocation: Nijmegen, Netherlands PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 2:17 am
    —
Thanks Tejszd, I thought the issue had been addressed in a patch of one of the newer games but I was probably dreaming.
So far we played 1 battle but also tested movement on the stratmap and that seems to be going fine. More testing h2h will follow soon ofcourse.

#98: Re: Update thread Author: ke_mechial PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 5:04 pm
    —
any updates guys?

#99: Re: Update thread Author: PeteLocation: Nijmegen, Netherlands PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 11:04 pm
    —
Funny you should ask. Just yesterday Buck and I had a chat about the mod. I have not done anything for months because I am (temporarily) fed up with the mod. It needs work on the forcepools and forcepool reinforcements. H2h play went without issues though.

#100: Re: Update thread Author: Gunsche PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 11:56 pm
    —
Release a beta, the forcepools can be patched with a quick fix when you guys finish them Wink

#101: Re: Update thread Author: ke_mechial PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 12:08 pm
    —
Pete wrote (View Post):
Funny you should ask. Just yesterday Buck and I had a chat about the mod. I have not done anything for months because I am (temporarily) fed up with the mod. It needs work on the forcepools and forcepool reinforcements. H2h play went without issues though.

Thanks for feedback. It is good news H2H went without issues. I agree with Gunsche, we would really be glad to see a Beta!!! Smile

#102: Re: Update thread Author: PeteLocation: Nijmegen, Netherlands PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 1:26 am
    —
I posted map previews on our FB page: https://www.facebook.com/buckandpete/ .
I thinking about releasing a beta without having finished forcepools and campaign so bear with me.

#103: Re: Update thread Author: southern_land PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 9:21 am
    —
Looks great

#104: Re: Update thread Author: PeteLocation: Nijmegen, Netherlands PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 1:37 pm
    —
Update: added mapnames to the previews.
Also posted a download link on the page.

#105: Re: Update thread Author: ke_mechial PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 3:32 pm
    —
Thanks Pete!

I downloaded and started playing it right away. Nice Theme Song and GUI is definitely very good and dedicated.

Just as feedback. I noticed some weapon graphics are not correct. For example main gun of the M36 Tank Destroyer.

#106: Re: Update thread Author: PeteLocation: Nijmegen, Netherlands PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 9:02 pm
    —
I hope you enjoy the mod.

Just as feedback. I noticed some weapon graphics are not correct. For example main gun of the M36 Tank Destroyer.

Feel free to post your comments here. I am sure you will find a number of things  that I have been too lazy to update...

#107: Re: Update thread Author: ke_mechial PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 1:24 am
    —
Thanks Pete.

I tried campaign screen last night. Unit Icons and background map were really professional and I loved it. It is even better than stock version.

Just one thing, the vehicle graphics seemed smaller to me than other mods. I think that was a design choice, they look good scaled compared to buildings, but it could be nice, to include bigger graphics from other mods or stock game and make optional as a submod maybe.

#108: Re: Update thread Author: PeteLocation: Nijmegen, Netherlands PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 10:11 pm
    —
Thanks Pete.

I tried campaign screen last night. Unit Icons and background map were really professional and I loved it. It is even better than stock version.
. Thanks, and I'd have to agree with you on that. Excellent work on Buck's part.

About the vehicle graphs: some may be smaller, like the SturmTiger, but all graphs were either already in the file or have been imported from other mods. The M36 TD is a scaled down version of the one in GtC iirc.

What do you think of gameplay and maps?

#109: Re: Update thread Author: PeteLocation: Nijmegen, Netherlands PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 6:01 pm
    —
The download link to the beta files has been renewed. I have now uploaded file packs of all files so that you do not have to download file by file. Sorry, I didnot realize that before. https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0BzWUdzxLCMxMaEx3OG0xc05SMjA&usp=sharing

The beta will be upgraded to a final version after I finish the data of our small intermediate mod project on the Dieppe raid.

#110: Re: Update thread Author: ScnelleMeyer PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 7:30 pm
    —
This mod is ALL great work and shows true dedication in all aspects of its creation.
I think its your finest mod to date.

Every owner of LSA should get this one and go play multiplayer!

Thanks for sharing the beta with everyone Pete and Buck!

#111: Re: Update thread Author: TejszdLocation: Canada PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 4:28 am
    —
Pete wrote (View Post):
The download link to the beta files has been renewed. I have now uploaded file packs of all files so that you do not have to download file by file. Sorry, I didnot realize that before. https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0BzWUdzxLCMxMaEx3OG0xc05SMjA&usp=sharing

The beta will be upgraded to a final version after I finish the data of our small intermediate mod project on the Dieppe raid.

Thanks Pete, that will make it much easier!!!

#112: Re: Update thread Author: tripwireLocation: Florida - USA PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 6:29 pm
    —
Well.... it looks like I will purchase LSA to allow me to examine Pete and Buck's gorgeous new work.  I know that it will be worthwhile owing to the excellence of the Ortona and Scheldt mods.

... it's just a hit on my retirement budget.

#113: Re: Update thread Author: mick_xe5 PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 3:17 pm
    —
Use the link upper right to add the Rhineland 45 .rars to your own Drive acct then download from there.

#114: Re: Update thread Author: mooxe PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 1:45 am
    —
I can do the installer if you'd like.

#115: Re: Update thread Author: PeteLocation: Nijmegen, Netherlands PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2016 3:17 pm
    —
Hi Mooxe, thanks for the offer. In order to encourage people to play this mod there should indeed be an installer. I know I could have asked you but I thought I'd give it a try myself . Somehow many of my plans just don't seem to materialize though Very Happy  .
Is the google drive link posted in my previous message enough to get you started with?

#116: Re: Update thread Author: Schmal_Turm PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 6:40 am
    —
What happened with the installer?

I was really looking forward to this one.

#117: Re: Update thread Author: PeteLocation: Nijmegen, Netherlands PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 4:38 pm
    —
Were you not able to do a manual install?

#118: Re: Update thread Author: Schmal_Turm PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 8:40 pm
    —
After some amount of trouble I was able to get it downloaded from your site, and then got the folders extracted to my laptop. Then when I try to get the game to start there is a broken connection or something.

I'm not very good at figuring these things out.

#119: Re: Update thread Author: Schmal_Turm PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 3:39 am
    —
I tried to install this again last night. I thought if I installed it into the LSA folder then that would do it. I was wrong.

Can anybody help me out?

#120: Re: Update thread Author: salhexe PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 12:01 am
    —
I tried to create a foldel in LSA installation as other mods but dont work.
I dont remember exactly what I can do for start the game.

Appunti02.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  110.1 KB
 Viewed:  13150 Time(s)

Appunti02.jpg

#121: Re: Update thread Author: PeteLocation: Nijmegen, Netherlands PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 12:17 am
    —
Ok, I get that message too sometimes. Clicking again starts the application. Buck_Compton does not get the error which is why I thought it was only on my pc.
Anyway, I will pick up working on the mod again and try and make an installer.

#122: Re: Update thread Author: PeteLocation: Nijmegen, Netherlands PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 2:06 pm
    —
I recall having seen a sort of tutorial on creating an installer. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

#123: Re: Update thread Author: ScnelleMeyer PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 3:12 pm
    —
The readme from Bernd's modinstaller explains it quite clearly Pete. It thats the installer you are using?

ModInstallerReadme.zip
 Description:
readme

Download
 Filename:  ModInstallerReadme.zip
 Filesize:  1.14 KB
 Downloaded:  476 Time(s)

#124: Re: Update thread Author: PeteLocation: Nijmegen, Netherlands PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 5:51 pm
    —
I am not using anything at the moment. Did not know where to start.
I searched for 'installer' but got too many search results. But now I found it.
Thanks!

#125: Re: Update thread Author: ScnelleMeyer PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 7:17 pm
    —
No problem buddy!

#126: Re: Update thread Author: PeteLocation: Nijmegen, Netherlands PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 1:17 pm
    —
Ok, I have been trying to create an installer file for the Rhineland beta using the LSA Modinstaller tool but I keep getting an error message:
"Error on line 141 in D:\'locationpath'\modinstaller.iss : Column 49:
"Identifier expected"
"Compile aborted".

What I did:
Download and extract the LSA Modinstaller as it says in the read me. Then I copied and pasted the following folders in the LSA Modinstaller\mod directory: Data , Graphics, LocalFX, Maps, Videos. I created new icons with the same name as in the directory \edits . I didnot change 1 image in that folder. I edited the .ini file and edited the Readme.txt. Then I ran "Buildmod.cmd.
I don't know what else I am supposed to do but I am surprised to find no instructions on what to do with the CCE.exe and the CCResourceDLL.dll.
Who can help me out?

#127: Re: Update thread Author: PeteLocation: Nijmegen, Netherlands PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 9:21 pm
    —
Found the solution: The install.ini must not contain spaces or apostrophes in the mod name. This is not mentioned in the readme.

Close Combat Series -> Rhineland '45

output generated using printer-friendly topic mod. All times are GMT

Page 1 of 1