It Never Snows In September: A mod for Last Stand Arnhem
Select messages from
# through # Forum FAQ
[/[Print]\]

Close Combat Series -> Close Combat Last Stand Arnhem

#1: It Never Snows In September: A mod for Last Stand Arnhem Author: Gunsche PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 7:45 am
    —
Yepp, it's september and Operation Market Garden began five days ( and a couple of years  Wink ) ago.
I had originally planned to post this on the 17th, but a few misstakes were discovered and had to be corrected and some new things were added (more about that further in the post), but here goes:
"It Never Snows In September" is a mod for Close Combat: Last Stand Arnhem. It changes much of the stock game, but I wouldn't call it a total conversion. The goal of this project is to make the game more historical accurate, add more variety and flavour to make the game even more fun to play!

The work is based on the mod karlmortar began working on back in 2010 (you can find his forum thread some where in this forum section). I signed up to help him last year and we made quite some progress until this summer. He told me that he unfortunatly didn't
have time to continue modding (damn real life!) so Im alone on this now.

The things that have been done so far with the mod:
All necessary data has almost been completed, there are some changes in the vehicle and team files to be made aswell as some historcial changes in the Force fool file.
Team and soldier file is based on Dima and Nikin's GJS TRSM mod for TLD (with permission of course) and vehicle and weapons are based on Cathartes GJS mod for LSA ( also with permission). The reson for this is that the TRSM teams are awesome and that the GJS data works better than what we had first.
With our old data Panthers, for example, could shoot at Shermans for several minutes; their DIRECT hits doing nothing to harm the tank.
Now we are seeing 1-shots  Wink

Here are a few changes and explanations for some of the contents in this mod:
Dutch medals, new german unit types and ranksymbols and new battlegroups.
On the battle groups:
Axis:
KG Walther = KG Dreyer :KG Walther was formed early in the battle, and just as quick almost destroyed. The commanding officer was replaced with paratrooper officer colonel von Hoffmann and the KG counter attacked the corridor on 22nd of september. Under its's command was 107th Panzer brigade, but it seems to be the only unit being part of the KG at the time. I (we) removed KG Walther and replaced it with KG Dreyer, an infantry combat formation from the 85.ID with elements of the Herman Göring division school and FJ battalion Finzel.
Under KG Chill command.

StuG Abt 280 = KG Huber : Arrived from Denmark to help clearing out Oosterbeek. Was split up to beef up the other KGs. Changed into KG Huber, formed of the 59th ID's 1035th Regiment, a few PaKs and Jagdpanthers. Also under the command of KG Chill.

s.Pz Abt 506  = KG Henke : When the 'abteilung' arrived it was immediatly split into 2 parts. 2nd Coy went to the 9.SS to help clear out Oosterbeek, the  3rd Coy went to the 10.SS to help defend Elst. The 1st Coy didn't get to Arnhem, it was sent to Aachen to fight the americans. The 506th have been replaced with KG Henke, a force of all kinds of training units and reserves. Later gets reinforced by training panzers from the Herman Göring division school.

Festung MG Btl.42  = Sperrverband Harzer : Part of the hastly formed blocking force south of the Arnhem bridge, formed from various forces like sailors, coastal and fortress MG battalions. Decided to make it 'bigger'by turning it into the entire blocking force (except for III/Landstorm Nederland)

KG 712  = FJ Rgt.6  : The only combat unit formed from this division was KG Zauber, which fought south of Best on the other side of the river. In other words: outside the GC map! Replaced with FJ Regiment 6 von der Heydte, the famous parachute regiment  under the command of Freiherr von der Heydte, famous for it's battles i Normandy. Reinforced by paratrooper battalion Finzel.

Pz Kp 244  = KG von Allwörden  : Only fought as a complete unit during their engagement. Lost a couple of their flame tanks due to having no infantry support. The Coy was split up, each platoon being assigned to a KG. Pz Coy 224 now only appear as reinforcements with other KGs. Removed this unit and replaced it with KG von Allwörden, the 9.SS Tank hunter battalion. Equipped with
2 Jagdpanzer IV and a 75mm PaK it formed the northen part of the defences to Arnhem. Gets reinforced by sailors.

KG Chill  = FJ Btl.Ewald : 85th ID with absorbed parts of the 84th and 89th ID. This unit fought to the west of operation 'Market Garden', but KG Chill functioned as a administrative unit for the forces located ion the western side in the airborne corridor at Eindohven. Replaced KG Chill with FJ Rgt. Ewald,a parachute unit you get early inte battle around Eindhoven.

Allied
Princess Irene Bde = 7th Bn the King's Own Schottish Borderers / 1st AL Bde = I do not wish to insult or downplay the role of the dutch soldiers fighting in the allied armies, but the Princess Irene didn't see any action at all during Market Garden apart from with guarding the Grave bridge and tend to some german POWs. I changed this unit to the 7th british airlanding battalion instead.

Stay tuned for more, because the next time you will get a look at the new vehicles and guns!
And sorry for the wall of text Razz

Last edited by Gunsche on Sat Oct 12, 2013 9:53 am; edited 4 times in total

New BGs.JPG
 Description:
New battlegroups
 Filesize:  24.88 KB
 Viewed:  41301 Time(s)

New BGs.JPG

Dutch medals.JPG
 Description:
Dutch medals
 Filesize:  3.82 KB

Dutch medals.JPG

ALLIES.JPG
 Description:
Allies uniforms and ranks
 Filesize:  43.39 KB

ALLIES.JPG

AXIS.JPG
 Description:
German uniforms and ranks. No pictures means that the just look like ordinary SS,Heer or FJ.
 Filesize:  215.85 KB

AXIS.JPG

Main Screen.jpg
 Description:
Main Screen
 Filesize:  495.39 KB
 Viewed:  713 Time(s)

Main Screen.jpg

#2: Re: CC LSA: A Bridge Too Far Author: Sapa PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 8:01 am
    —
Great work! Looking forward to it  Very Happy

Thankyou!

#3: Re: CC LSA: A Bridge Too Far Author: Gunsche PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 8:18 am
    —
Im happy to oblige. Wink

By the way, can anyone help me with the polish and dutch rank insignias?
Are they the correct ones or are they too modern?

Oh, and one more thing, what do you guys want most?
Too keep the Heer tank destroyer rank/uniforms or let me change them into SS panzer recon?
I was thinking since I don't have a spot for SS tank destroyers, I could just cheat and let Heer tank destroyers look like regular panzer crews too, and make a spot for SS panzer recon (replacing the white piping on their rank symbols with yellow).
There aren't that many Heer tank destroyers, but two full BG's of SS panzer recon.

#4: Re: CC LSA: A Bridge Too Far Author: TejszdLocation: Canada PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 5:01 pm
    —
Can't wait to give a test. Thank you for putting in the effort!

#5: Re: CC LSA: A Bridge Too Far Author: squadleader_idLocation: Soerabaja PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 12:46 pm
    —
Wow! Looking great!
Great attention to detail...and very nice work and research on historical ranks and uniforms!
Looking forward to this one!

#6: Re: CC LSA: A Bridge Too Far Author: Gunsche PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 3:00 pm
    —
If there is one thing I like, then it's detail  :wink:

A small update for today:
Finally got my self to fix some alignment issues of turrets, shadows and hulls on some of the vehicles. Also did some correction in the vehicle file ( no more open-top halftracks 'tanking' dozens of genades and turrets swinging around instantly  Surprised  ) and improved some of the old, selfmade (and ugly) tank textures. Will post more about them this weekend.

By the way, any input on if you want to keep the Heer tank destroyer crews or change them for SS panzer recon?

Wow, a bit late but I saw an error in the german ranks/uniforms pic.
For the heer td crew description = the sturmartillerie of course belonged to the ARTILLERY, not the infantry!

#7: Re: CC LSA: A Bridge Too Far Author: Dima PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 4:43 pm
    —
Quote:
For the heer td crew description = the sturmartillerie of course belonged to the ARTILLERY, not the infantry!

it depends on formation, f.e. StuG crews in PzJAbt or PzAbt would have Rosa-waffenfarbe and uniform could range from infantry to panzer crew uniform with everything in between.

#8: Re: CC LSA: A Bridge Too Far Author: Gunsche PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 5:25 pm
    —
There are two Heer formations with StuG III ( a 3rd  unit being Fallschirmjäger and a fourth with the 10.SS)
1 is a StuG Abteilung (280.StuG Abteilung with 7 StuG IIIG and 3 StuH42) and the other is a s.Pz.Jagd-Abteilung (s.PzJagd-Abteilung.559 with 4 Jagdpanthers and at least 10 StuG IIIG).
The 559 is a bit interesting as it had both StuG III and Jadpanthers.

Code:
uniform could range from infantry to panzer crew uniform with everything in between

True, for example: the commander of 280.StuG Abteilung (Major Kurt Kühme) wears a sturmartilleri panzer-wrap(greyish) with red-piped heer insignias, while another member of that unit wears a plain heer uniform.

Hmmm...I am in a bit of a pickle here, what uniform to give my td crews?
Giving all heer td crews regular panzer uniforms would perhaps be the best after all?

#9: Re: CC LSA: A Bridge Too Far Author: Dima PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 6:02 pm
    —
Quote:
There are two Heer formations with StuG III ( a 3rd  unit being Fallschirmjäger and a fourth with the 10.SS)
1 is a StuG Abteilung (280.StuG Abteilung with 7 StuG IIIG and 3 StuH42) and the other is a s.Pz.Jagd-Abteilung (s.PzJagd-Abteilung.559 with 4 Jagdpanthers and at least 10 StuG IIIG).

crews from 10.SS-PzD should have rosa waffenfarbe as they belonged to Panzere. Uniform - panzer crew.
crews from 280.StugAbt should have hochrot waffenfarbe as they belonged to SturmArtilerie. Uniform - StuG jackets.
crews from sPzJA.559 should have rosa waffenfarbe as they belonged to Panzerjagere. Uniform - StuG jackets or panzer crew uniform.
not sure about FJ-StuG-Brigade, but probably hochrot as well.

Quote:
The 559 is a bit interesting as it had both StuG III and Jadpanthers.

that was pretty common to have different type of AVF in same formation in late war.

#10: Re: CC LSA: A Bridge Too Far Author: Gunsche PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 6:24 pm
    —
What I have read and seen about FJ StuG crews are that they wear regular Luftwaffe ranks.
Thank you Dima for clarifying this mess  Wink

#11: Re: CC LSA: A Bridge Too Far Author: 0202243 PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 6:25 pm
    —
looks very nice  Cool

#12: Re: A Bridge Too Far: A mod for Last Stand Arnhem Author: DAK_Legion PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 5:04 pm
    —
Please read this........

http://www.moddb.com/mods/a-bridge-too-far-mod-10-to-lsa/downloads/a-bridge-too-far-mod-10

#13: Re: A Bridge Too Far: A mod for Last Stand Arnhem Author: Gunsche PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 9:21 pm
    —
Oh, damn! Forgot FireFox's mod for LSA, I only remembered the CC5 one.
No problem, I will change the name of the mod as soon as I figure out a new one.
Thanks for pointing that one out, DAK :wink:

How about "It Never Snows In September"? Wink

#14: Re: It Never Snows In September: A mod for Last Stand Arnhem Author: Dima PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 10:17 pm
    —
Rox!

#15: Re: It Never Snows In September: A mod for Last Stand Arnhem Author: Gunsche PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 8:37 am
    —
For now the name of this mod is 'It Never Snows In September' until further notice.

And now a look at some of the new contentes on the vehicular aspect of this mod!

In the attached image you can see some of the new combat vehicles (and an old one, just to show what we were doing with the old graphics  Wink  ).
You will recognise some of the vehicle graphics, like the Cromwell and the modified JagdPz IV, and they come from GJS 4.4 for CC5, but most of the graphics are built on the stock LSA ones. I have been trying to make them look like the real-life ones, but its hard as 1 pixel sometimes is too big but you can't make it smaller.

Back to the image. you will notice two trucks and a car. The hell you may think, I know that many players doesn't want to see jeeps and trucks in CC but we wanted to add them just to get some ad-hoc feeling for the germans.
For example: when Gräbner made his dash across the Arnhem Bridge he had alot of his infantry mounted in his halftracks, the rest in trucks. Many of these trucks were reinforced with sandfilled barrels, sheets of metall and sandbags in order to provide soem protection for the passangers. It even seems that civilan trucks and even a garbage truck (!) was used in the attack.

And the truck with the 20mm FlaK is a bit of, how should I put it, the artist's interpetation?
Information on KG Krafft mentions light flak guns and these were either towed or selfpropelled ( most likely an missunderstanding of motorized=towed, I think)

You might notice an rather odd shadow for the Kübel, but no worries, Im going to fix it.

Challenger A30 is basicly an extended Cromwell hull (with thinner frontal armour) and a large turret with a 17-pdr gun.  It can be found with the Welsh Guards ( Only 2-3 of them, they didn't recive any replacements A30 since they were phased out for the Sherman Firefly).

Not on picture are:
Sherman III
Stuart III
US Recce Jeep w/50.cal
2cm Polsten AA Gun (mobile)
Sherman II
Wasp Mk.II carrier
Humber Mk IIIA
Humber IV (+ plus a captured Humber used by KG Gräbner)
10.5cm LG 40 Recoiless gun
12cm GrW42 mortar
PzKpfw III Ausf N
3.7cm FlaK 43 (mobile)
2cm FlaK 38 (stationary)
PzKpfw IV Ausf G
7.62cm IKH 290 (r) Infantry gun

New Vehicles.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  42.37 KB
 Viewed:  41022 Time(s)

New Vehicles.JPG

#16: Re: It Never Snows In September: A mod for Last Stand Arnhem Author: Nomada_Firefox PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 9:28 am
    —
I have not problems if you name the mod equal to my mod but obviously it would be worse for you and a problem for players. But at the end, I took the name from the film.

Quote:
I had originally planned to post this on the 17th,

This is funny, the unique way for release a mod in a exact date is to think the date when you finish the mod. But the chances from release it are very few, at least viewed from my old experience making mods.

#17: Re: It Never Snows In September: A mod for Last Stand Arnhem Author: Dima PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 10:29 am
    —
Quote:
Back to the image. you will notice two trucks and a car. The hell you may think, I know that many players doesn't want to see jeeps and trucks in CC but we wanted to add them just to get some ad-hoc feeling for the germans.
For example: when Gräbner made his dash across the Arnhem Bridge he had alot of his infantry mounted in his halftracks, the rest in trucks. Many of these trucks were reinforced with sandfilled barrels, sheets of metall and sandbags in order to provide soem protection for the passangers. It even seems that civilan trucks and even a garbage truck (!) was used in the attack.

bad idea IMO.

#18: Re: It Never Snows In September: A mod for Last Stand Arnhem Author: Gunsche PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 3:08 pm
    —
Quote:
I have not problems if you name the mod equal to my mod but obviously it would be worse for you and a problem for players. But at the end, I took the name from the film.

Thanks Nomada, you're right about the confusion of two mods with the same name!
I'll stick with It never Snows now.

Quote:
This is funny, the unique way for release a mod in a exact date is to think the date when you finish the mod. But the chances from release it are very few, at least viewed from my old experience making mods.

Yeah, but it's fun to be unique some times  Wink
I just wanted to finish a few things so I could include it in the news update/announcement but I got sidetracked. How ever, the work on the final product might be over by christmas (wink, wink, nudge, nudge).

Quote:
bad idea IMO.

It already was in real-life. But I'll keep the 'poor mans's APCs' there for now and after release; players can gather their opinions and post them.
If majority wants to get rid of them, so be it.
I'm not impossible  :wink:

Notice the three 'I's  Razz

#19: Re: It Never Snows In September: A mod for Last Stand Arnhem Author: Gunsche PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:31 am
    —
Update on the past weekend and yesterdays work:
Finished tinkering with the weapons and vehicle file (some values were tweeked, for example too strong armour on the B2) and finished the last on the graphics department for the vehicles and guns, however there is still a problem with the FlaK 88's turret being not centered on it's base.

Added two new british units :
Crusader AA Mk.II ( Mobile anti-aircraft for armoured formations, Guards AD and the 8th armoured brigade attached to the 43rd Wessex ID)
ML 4.3-inch Heavy Mortar (infantry divisions only)

Have also been revising the FPools file (again!) and the british 50th Northumbrian and the 43rd Wessex infantry divisions are 100% completed (I only need pictures for the brigade commanders).

Up next is the BGs' from the Guards Armoured Division!

#20: Re: It Never Snows In September: A mod for Last Stand Arnhem Author: Gunsche PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 9:57 am
    —
Have finished all allied battlegroups, including their reinforcements.

Going to change some of the germans forcepools as some of the bgs are missing some start units and some reinforcements units.
Also messing around with the menus and main screen. A new main screen can be found in the first post in this thread.

#21: Re: It Never Snows In September: A mod for Last Stand Arnhem Author: Gunnar PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 7:23 pm
    —
Thanks for your efforts!

I am really looking forward to play the mod.

#22: Re: It Never Snows In September: A mod for Last Stand Arnhem Author: tedy28 PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 9:23 pm
    —
Polish airborn have only grey berts

#23: Re: It Never Snows In September: A mod for Last Stand Arnhem Author: Cathartes PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 12:04 am
    —
Gunsche, take note that some of the data from GJS-LSA was left unfinished--for units and weapons not used in the final BGs and FPs.

Looking good!

#24: Re: It Never Snows In September: A mod for Last Stand Arnhem Author: southern_land PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 4:07 am
    —
hey if you want to replace any maps I have some that weren't used in the game... only you'll need to code them Very Happy

#25: Re: It Never Snows In September: A mod for Last Stand Arnhem Author: Gunsche PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 4:58 pm
    —
tedy28, you are right of course.
Although the sometimes look black, they are indeed grey.
I didn't change Matrix's stock polish paras, so they still have grey berrets.

Cathartes, have noticed but thanks for telling m8.  :wink:

southern_land, what maps would they be? Any chance for an Hartenstein hotel or Nijmegen bridge north map?  Cool
Altough I don't know how to code atm, Im pretty sure that with time I can learn, Mafi has a pretty good tutorial for it I think.
I would love to remove some maps for example Oss and add some more important ones.

#26: Re: It Never Snows In September: A mod for Last Stand Arnhem Author: southern_land PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 3:36 am
    —
there's quite a few  some are based loosely on old cc2 maps, some are based on Buck Compton's maps and some are original

Duivels Berg.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  442.1 KB
 Viewed:  423 Time(s)

Duivels Berg.jpg

Duivels Berg copy.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  373.85 KB
 Viewed:  415 Time(s)

Duivels Berg copy.jpg

canal 01.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  236.03 KB
 Viewed:  409 Time(s)

canal 01.jpg

tulip feilds EXT.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  214.55 KB
 Viewed:  470 Time(s)

tulip feilds EXT.jpg

#27: Re: It Never Snows In September: A mod for Last Stand Arnhem Author: southern_land PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 3:39 am
    —
and some more

Ilikedikes INT.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.73 MB
 Viewed:  375 Time(s)

Ilikedikes INT.jpg

farm EXT.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  124.25 KB
 Viewed:  393 Time(s)

farm EXT.jpg

Elst Approach copy.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  211.58 KB
 Viewed:  403 Time(s)

Elst Approach copy.jpg

#28: Re: It Never Snows In September: A mod for Last Stand Arnhem Author: southern_land PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 3:46 am
    —
and others

Map300.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  217.66 KB
 Viewed:  550 Time(s)

Map300.jpg

Map231 EXT.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  297.27 KB
 Viewed:  386 Time(s)

Map231 EXT.jpg

Map230.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  115.15 KB
 Viewed:  388 Time(s)

Map230.jpg

LZ-Z copy.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  119.3 KB
 Viewed:  391 Time(s)

LZ-Z copy.jpg

Lochtenburg and Koevering EXT.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  181.96 KB
 Viewed:  390 Time(s)

Lochtenburg and Koevering EXT.jpg

#29: Re: It Never Snows In September: A mod for Last Stand Arnhem Author: southern_land PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 3:50 am
    —
yep, you guess ed it... more

nebengebauder.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  151.36 KB
 Viewed:  384 Time(s)

nebengebauder.jpg

Map320 EXT.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  233.07 KB
 Viewed:  398 Time(s)

Map320 EXT.jpg

Map312.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  114.62 KB
 Viewed:  389 Time(s)

Map312.jpg

Map310.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  181.76 KB
 Viewed:  339 Time(s)

Map310.jpg

Map302.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  123.51 KB
 Viewed:  575 Time(s)

Map302.jpg

#30: Re: It Never Snows In September: A mod for Last Stand Arnhem Author: southern_land PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 3:58 am
    —
More

outside veghel.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  202.88 KB
 Viewed:  349 Time(s)

outside veghel.jpg

Oosterbeek - hartenstein.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  282.28 KB
 Viewed:  351 Time(s)

Oosterbeek - hartenstein.jpg

OosnjmhemWoolst.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  208.56 KB
 Viewed:  499 Time(s)

OosnjmhemWoolst.jpg

Netherland.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  982.19 KB
 Viewed:  378 Time(s)

Netherland.jpg

#31: Re: It Never Snows In September: A mod for Last Stand Arnhem Author: southern_land PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 4:00 am
    —
One day I should post all of my unused maps....

last OMG batch

tulip feilds EXT.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  214.55 KB
 Viewed:  421 Time(s)

tulip feilds EXT.jpg

test 2 copy.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  112.68 KB

test 2 copy.jpg

#32: Re: It Never Snows In September: A mod for Last Stand Arnhem Author: Gunsche PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 5:41 am
    —
mmmmm....oh, ops. Better stop drooling, im short circuiting my keyboard!

They look awesome but there is a problem: which to pick!
I need to do a check on how many maps I can remove from the original, then I'll try to see where I can place your maps on the strat map.
At the moment, I can say that the Koevering map at least is a must. There is space enough to plop it in between St.Oedenrode and Veghel.
I'll PM you when I have made up my mind.

A warning though, my PMs are behaving a bit strange as my mails get stuck in the outbox for days (some time a whole week) before the leave.

#33: Re: It Never Snows In September: A mod for Last Stand Arnhem Author: TejszdLocation: Canada PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 6:25 am
    —
Awesome maps as usual Southerland!

#34: Re: It Never Snows In September: A mod for Last Stand Arnhem Author: Buck_ComptonLocation: Netherlands PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 6:42 pm
    —
Hey,

Seems like an interesting project to me!

@Southern_Lland cool to see some of my maps 'translated' to your vision of map making!

Cheers Buck

#35: Re: It Never Snows In September: A mod for Last Stand Arnhem Author: Gunsche PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 8:35 pm
    —
I hope the results will be as interesting!

Having an excellent oppertunity here to add more flavour, I'll have a go at replacing 7 exsisting map.
Ravenstein, Oss, Nederwetten, Helmond, Schaarsbergen, Valburg and Heteren will be substituted by:

Elst Approach, Duivelsberg (Devil's Mountain/Hill?), Lochtenburg/Koevering, Best (town), West Oosterbeek, LZ-Z and Veghel.

Current Best map will be called Best Road Bridge, Veghel will be Veghel Bridge.

I have attached a new stratmap that will show the planed changes.

Of course, all this will only happen IF I learn to code maps, so hope for the best!

New Strat map.jpg
 Description:
Rough estimate of the new strat map areas. Black areas are removed maps and some extras to make the map look more "stream lined". Red lines are the new map areas.rnrnBlack arrows shows the road connections.rnrn
 Filesize:  1.23 MB
 Viewed:  422 Time(s)

New Strat map.jpg

#36: Re: It Never Snows In September: A mod for Last Stand Arnhem Author: Gunsche PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 9:15 pm
    —
It's been a while since the last update, but that doesn't mean that I have been idle!

Map coding was suprisignly easy to learn due to Mafi's awesome easy to use CC5 map tool and I have already completed four maps:
Lent
Koevering and Lochtenburg
Elst Approach
Hill 75.9 (Devil's Hill)

Remaining is:
Renkum Heath LZ-Z
Best Town
West Oosterbeek
Veghel Town

Also to do is the changes to the stratmap, I have completed most of it however some changes to the stratarrows/road connections remains.

And for some extra flavour for the german force: the MP.739(i).
It's a captured italian Beretta 1938B submachinegun and can be found in the hands of the Landesschützen.
Saw a picture of a few Landesschützen armed with this gun in the Kampfraum Arnheim book and though; sure, why not?  Wink

#37: Re: It Never Snows In September: A mod for Last Stand Arnhem Author: TejszdLocation: Canada PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 10:19 pm
    —
Thanks for the update!

#38: Re: It Never Snows In September: A mod for Last Stand Arnhem Author: Dima PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 11:00 pm
    —
Quote:
And for some extra flavour for the german force: the MP.739(i).
It's a captured italian Beretta 1938B submachinegun and can be found in the hands of the Landesschützen.
Saw a picture of a few Landesschützen armed with this gun in the Kampfraum Arnheim book and though; sure, why not?  Wink

that was no a captured SMG but a standard issue since late 1944 in replace of MP.40.

#39: Re: It Never Snows In September: A mod for Last Stand Arnhem Author: Gunsche PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 8:59 pm
    —
Yeah "captured" is a not the right word.
The germans ended up with a large stock of Italian weapons after the disarmament of the Italian army in 1943 and yeah, why not use them?  Wink

#40: Re: It Never Snows In September: A mod for Last Stand Arnhem Author: Gunsche PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 7:54 am
    —
It's been a busy as hell pair of months but the maps are finally done!
They seems  to run smothly, but I'll will have to test them more throughly later as now Im trying to get the modified stratmap to work.
There is a problem with the arrows for the road connections, but hopefully I or someone can help me solve this problem.
Take a look in the Modding Workshop for details if you're intersted.

Edit:
The problem has been solved and the modified stratmap is working. There are a few cosmetic changes to be done, but they will have to wait for now.
Next up will be redoing the german BGs  Wink

#41: Re: It Never Snows In September: A mod for Last Stand Arnhem Author: DoktorPajLocation: Norrköping PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 11:07 pm
    —
Nice! It's a great job you've been doing, thanks for keeping it up!

#42: Re: It Never Snows In September: A mod for Last Stand Arnhem Author: dj PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 2:07 am
    —
Yes awesome...thanks Gunsche.  I was disappointed in LSA more than any other of the rewrites.  Very interested in your mod, looks more similar to original CC2 game.

#43: Re: It Never Snows In September: A mod for Last Stand Arnhem Author: Sapa PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 6:55 am
    —
Good work! looking forward to it  Very Happy

#44: Re: It Never Snows In September: A mod for Last Stand Arnhem Author: Gunsche PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 12:30 pm
    —
Anyone else feeing that the american LZ/DZs are a bit empty? They really don't look like landing or drop zones.

This looks alot better in this picture (my opinion)  :mrgreen:

Well, now Im off to celebrate chrismtas, we swedes celebrate on the 24th of december  Wink

Wyler LZ T WACO.JPG
 Description:
Wyler LZ T
 Filesize:  790.02 KB
 Viewed:  535 Time(s)

Wyler LZ T WACO.JPG

#45: Re: It Never Snows In September: A mod for Last Stand Arnhem Author: Gunsche PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 11:46 am
    —
Because I was too much of a scrub I forgot that Valburg (east of Elst) should be left in the mod. The 43rd Wessex division used it to flank the german defenses in Elst and I of course want the players to have the ability to flank Elst as well.
But the get Valburg back in the game, Velp had to go.
The empty area left from Velp (and Schaarsbergen) have now been incorpetared into the neighboring map areas (see the screen shots).
Also, changed Gemert (Eindhoven sector) so that you can go to Son. My argument is that the 107 Panzer brigade needs a staging area which to attack Son and Veghel from and somwhere to get suppiles from and retreat to since the 107 is far to important to be disbanded that easily.

And now something thats actually new.
Taking a second look on the 50th infantry division, I have decided to remove the 231st and 151st brigades. The 69th Brigade moved up the highway to Nijmegen and was cut in half by the 107 panzer on the 25th while the 151 was "just" guarding the right flank of the Eindhoven sector, not seeing any action at all.
The 231st did see action on the 17th while clearing the flanks left behind the Irish guards as the moved up to Valkenswaard. On the 18th they moved into the village to take up defensive positions as the Irish resumed their advance. They would stay there a couple of days until moving up with the 151st brigade to defend the right flank.
Essentialy, these two brigades didn't do anything inside the mod area of operations.

Now they have been replaced with the 3rd battalion / 508th PIR and the 131st lorried infantry brigade (along with the 5/Inniskillen Dragoon Guards and the 8/Hussars) of the 7th armoured division. They were sent to the 50th ID to help opening the corridor again as the 231 and 151 were too far away and  busy guarding the flank.

The 508th PIR bg has been converted into the 2nd battalion 508th PIR.

BGs.JPG
 Description:
107 Panzer Brigade just there to show what their emblem might have looke like acording to photographs of unit vehicles in the netherlands 1944.
 Filesize:  16.23 KB
 Viewed:  466 Time(s)

BGs.JPG

Stratmap 4.2GW.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  302.9 KB
 Viewed:  410 Time(s)

Stratmap 4.2GW.JPG

#46: Re: It Never Snows In September: A mod for Last Stand Arnhem Author: stienerLocation: Gibsons B.C. canada PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 8:18 am
    —
wow, looks good. i like LSA and its options but the stock LSA GC could have been better. looking forward to this mod  Very Happy

#47: Re: It Never Snows In September: A mod for Last Stand Arnhem Author: Gunsche PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 9:45 pm
    —
Thanks!
I know you shouldn't state an ETA for a project, but I am aiming to finishing this during september 2014, but there are so many small things that needs to be done and when you have finished off a couple of them; then you find more stuff to do!  
The german forcefpool for example is being remade for the 3rd time now!  Shocked
And not to mention that I want to redo the entire stratmap as Matrixs' stock one looks rather boring and simple, but Im lacking a bit in the artist deparment  Rolling Eyes

#48: Re: It Never Snows In September: A mod for Last Stand Arnhem Author: stienerLocation: Gibsons B.C. canada PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 10:17 pm
    —
september... sounds good to me...LOL
ive read "it never snows in september" numerous times. great book on the campaign, lots of good info.
im hoping your adding some A/T capability's to the german forcepool. the stock game seems to be a bit lacking in that dept. i tried to convince matrix steve that the germans didnt use rocks to stop the allied armour.  Cool  
german assault teams in arnhem would be a nice addition too.  Smile  
also...perhaps some more MG ammo for the premier german troops, such as the SS.

thanks again for your efforts.

#49: Re: It Never Snows In September: A mod for Last Stand Arnhem Author: TejszdLocation: Canada PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 10:52 pm
    —
Gunsche wrote (View Post):
And not to mention that I want to redo the entire stratmap as Matrixs' stock one looks rather boring and simple, but Im lacking a bit in the artist deparment  Rolling Eyes

Ya, creating a new strat map is tough. You want something that looks good but even after doing that you have to break into all its pieces.... Been trying to put something together for Meuse 1940 to go from 44 to 64 maps now for a bit (I'll put a preview in the Meuse mod thread)....

#50: Re: It Never Snows In September: A mod for Last Stand Arnhem Author: Gunsche PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 11:47 am
    —
Tejszd, it would be awesome if there were templates to use and just puzzle together a stratmap, but no such luck.
Good luck with the stratmap for Meuse, Im certain you will finish it with flying colours  Wink

stiener, the AT issue of the axis BGs was one of the major things bugging too, but not to worry! Plenty of panzerfäuste 60s(correct plural for Panzerfaust?), even fausts to some secondline troops. Howerver, the dutch SS won't see any of them, best they got are grenadebundles, 2cm flak and 3,7cm PaK.

MG ammo was also an issue, my impression is that german soldiers would bring as much MG ammo as possible, 450 rounds sounds very low as the MG42 eats it all up very quickly, rendering the MG group useless pretty early in a battle.
MGs will also be plenty, in KG von Allwörden some squads will even have two of them! (Read personal account of SS-Corporal Alfred Ziegler in It Never Sonows In September by Robert Kershaw)  Wink

#51: Re: It Never Snows In September: A mod for Last Stand Arnhem Author: Gunsche PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 10:36 am
    —
Phew, it's almost been a month already? Time flies when you have fun  Laughing

The lack of updates however doesn't mean that I haven't been making progress!
I do belive Im quite finished with the maps and stratmap, did some changes to the Son Heath map by adding a few gliders and parachutes on the ground to simulate the extreme west side of the DZ/LZ (I always wanted the LZ/DZ maps to actually look like ones!)

Have been fiddeling with the reinforcements for the allied airborne BGs, the 101st and 82nd recives recce troops upon contact with XXX Corps, to be lather beefed up/exchanged for sherman/cromwell tanks . Even the poles gets reinforcements now in the form of two recce troops from 2nd Household cavalry regiment.

And of course I have been poking through the german team and forcepool files, more about that later.

But now to something important, something thats been "debated" on the forum a couple of times.  im talking about the gaphic "cards" for the units. Matrix uses the "NATO" style cards and the original CC series uses "cartoon" ones while mod makers usually takes original wartime photographs.

What am I to pick? The easiest would be to just use the NATO ones and it's very simple to make new ones.
It is highly unlikly Im doing the original close combat ones.
Im currently in favour for war time photos, I have quite a few from the Market Garden timeframe that goes well into the mod but ome times I have to comprimise, one example being the Tiger 2 as there is no OMG picture of one that hasn't been destroyed.

So what do you all think? Throw your opinions at me, folks  Cool

Unit Cards.JPG
 Description:
Which one do you prefer?
 Filesize:  10.67 KB
 Viewed:  13790 Time(s)

Unit Cards.JPG

Son LZ DZ.JPG
 Description:
Modified Son Heath
 Filesize:  96.92 KB
 Viewed:  405 Time(s)

Son LZ DZ.JPG

#52: Re: It Never Snows In September: A mod for Last Stand Arnhem Author: ManoiLocation: Brussels PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 3:22 pm
    —
I vote for the war times photos Wink

#53: Re: It Never Snows In September: A mod for Last Stand Arnhem Author: Sapa PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 4:18 pm
    —
Me too Very Happy

#54: Re: It Never Snows In September: A mod for Last Stand Arnhem Author: platoon_michaelLocation: Right behind you PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 12:07 am
    —
War Time Please

#55: Re: It Never Snows In September: A mod for Last Stand Arnhem Author: WhiteHorse PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 11:00 am
    —
War Time Please too. Very Happy

#56: Re: It Never Snows In September: A mod for Last Stand Arnhem Author: Amgot PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 4:54 pm
    —
Am I the only one who favor NATO style cards? I feel they make it much easier to make out which units you've selected than photos on the unit selection screen..

(by the way, I don't enjoy the "pure" NATO symbols that many wargames use, but I do enjoy those "contour" ones used in CC games since TLD - like the PG Zugführer one pictured above in Gunsche's post)

#57: Re: It Never Snows In September: A mod for Last Stand Arnhem Author: Dima PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 5:51 pm
    —
Quote:
Am I the only one who favor NATO style cards? I feel they make it much easier to make out which units you've selected than photos on the unit selection screen..

what we did for BfC was WW2 photos in BG screen but NATO symbols for quick identification in during battle Smile.

#58: Re: It Never Snows In September: A mod for Last Stand Arnhem Author: Gunsche PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 6:43 pm
    —
Right, forgot that combo!
Its a very good one as the real photos are very hard to make out when they are that small.

What do you think will be the best?

Also, any reason regular CC5 didn't have the german rank of corporal in the game? Obergefreiter (=over/1st corporal?) is in but not regular corporal. Time to change that, right?

GSUnit.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  2.18 KB
 Viewed:  13681 Time(s)

GSUnit.JPG

Corp'.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  17.81 KB
 Viewed:  379 Time(s)

Corp'.JPG

#59: Re: It Never Snows In September: A mod for Last Stand Arnhem Author: dj PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 4:12 am
    —
Definitely war time photos for icons.  Any rough estimate for mod completion?   The reason why I ask is that CCS website potentially might get shut down in a few months and I doubt we can depend on Matrix or Slitherine to host files.  Mooxe should give us heads up but our time might be limited.  Thanks again for all your work on this mod.

#60: Re: It Never Snows In September: A mod for Last Stand Arnhem Author: Gunsche PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 1:10 pm
    —
Thanks, dj!
I think war time photos is what most players wants, but thats my estimate and Im sticking with it  Wink

At the moment I have these things to take care of before a releas or public beta:

Unit pics

Fix some errors in the screen graphics (particulary the main screen and command screen)

Redo german teams
Redo german focepools

Fix dutch SS medal  (yes there is a medal for the german collaborating dutch men)

Fix some battles, operations and the campaigns. (Historical corrections, get the new maps in etc etc)

Ingame sounds ( have no clue to use, wanted to use realistic sounds but Im not getting any good results. NO WAY im using stock LSA sounds!)

A new intro video ( Why not?  Wink  )

And lastly reedo the Hill 75.9 map's tree shadows as they were far to dense/dark in comparison to the other shadows on the map.

So I might be done by.....say ... late spring/early summer?

Can't tell for sure, but after a while of slacking im stepping up the game folks.

Hopefully I can post an update on what has been done in the weeks since the last.

#61: Re: It Never Snows In September: A mod for Last Stand Arnhem Author: DoktorPajLocation: Norrköping PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 2:34 pm
    —
The Dutch SS medal you mentioned, is that the The Mussert Cross?

#62: Re: It Never Snows In September: A mod for Last Stand Arnhem Author: Gunsche PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 3:30 pm
    —
Spot on! With swords for combatants.
Im trying to figure out how high to value this award.
Is it equal to the 2nd or1st class of the Iron cross or a German cross?

#63: Re: It Never Snows In September: A mod for Last Stand Arnhem Author: DoktorPajLocation: Norrköping PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 4:58 pm
    —
I'm not sure, according to ww2awards.com

"The Mussert Cross was instituted in 1942 by the Nationaal Socialistische Beweging (NSB) – National Socialist Movement of Antoon Mussert as a decoration for merit and bravery to be awarded to NSB members in German service. The decoration knows from origin two variations, one with and one without swords, for military and civilians. The civilian version without swords is not known to have been produced.
The decoration was made of three parts and was enamelled and in gilt. The outer edge of the cross is made with black enamel with between that, parts of red enamel. A separate white enamel disk has been soldered on both sides of the medal. On the front the disk Bears the swastika with over that a wolf hook. Under that you can find oak leaves. The disk on the other side carries the text MUSSERT 1941 in the middle and on the edge the text HOU EN TROU and oak leaves. Text and decoration is in gold. The ribbon shows the colours blue-white-orange-white-blue. It was not permitted to wear the decoration on the German uniform."

I think you could put it in place of Iron Cross First class, but I'm not sure.
I've been messing around with photoshop for some time, doing various little things such as ranks graphics, weapons and medals. I tried to make a usable version of The Mussert Cross by downsizing the picture of it from ww2awards.com and then cleaning up it a bit, what do you think about it? Uploading it as .jpg since tga files can be troublesome to preview.

postimage

#64: Re: It Never Snows In September: A mod for Last Stand Arnhem Author: Gunsche PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 5:16 pm
    —
Looks awesome, mind if I use it? I'll put your name in the credits  Wink

#65: Re: It Never Snows In September: A mod for Last Stand Arnhem Author: DoktorPajLocation: Norrköping PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:40 pm
    —
Sure, that's why I made it! I removed part of the background to make it blend in better in the soldier stats menu. The Mussert Cross

Let me know if you need anything else you need in the line of medals or ranks graphics, I might be able to help out.

#66: Re: It Never Snows In September: A mod for Last Stand Arnhem Author: Gunsche PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:48 pm
    —
Would it be possible to ask for the german panzer badge (Panzerkampfabzeichen) and the luftwaffe ground assault badge (Erdkampfabzeichen der Luftwaffe)?

#67: Re: It Never Snows In September: A mod for Last Stand Arnhem Author: DoktorPajLocation: Norrköping PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:26 pm
    —
Here's the Tank Combat Badge on blue background to make it easier to see on the screen Tank Combat Badge

And here with parts of the background cut away so that it looks better on Soldiers Screen Tank Combat Badge v2

I'll get back to you tomorrow or the day after that with the  Luftwaffe ground assault badge.

#68: Re: It Never Snows In September: A mod for Last Stand Arnhem Author: dj PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 6:02 am
    —
Re: new intro video...maybe you can edit CC2 videos from daily briefings?  The resolution is top notch, I alway liked those videos.

#69: Re: It Never Snows In September: A mod for Last Stand Arnhem Author: Gunsche PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 6:10 am
    —
Most of the footage will come from those clips. But there are aslo a few clips on the operation thats available on the internet that I intend to use. Im also thinking about maybe mixing in pictures in the video, not quite sure how to mix it yet.

#70: Re: It Never Snows In September: A mod for Last Stand Arnhem Author: DoktorPajLocation: Norrköping PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 12:34 am
    —
Hi Gunsche, I've been having some problems with the Luftwaffe Ground assault badge but I think I've got it now. What do you think? And what about the Tank Combat Badge?

Luftwaffe Ground Assault Badge full background

Luftwaffe Ground Assault Badge cut background

#71: Re: It Never Snows In September: A mod for Last Stand Arnhem Author: Gunsche PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 6:23 am
    —
They both look good.  Very Happy
I have put them in the game and will try to get some soldiers to be awarded them, just to check how they turn out ingame.

#72: Re: It Never Snows In September: A mod for Last Stand Arnhem Author: Gunsche PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 1:09 pm
    —
I can see the end of the tunnel now, and the finish of this project.

It's almost been a month since the last update, and of course things have been done during that time!

The german team file and the forcepool files are finally done!
Some extra new units were added while some were removed.
Amongs the new arrivals we can see the StuG III Ausf D with a shortbarreled 75mm gun. This assault gun belongs to the Hermann Göring Divison training batallion that happened to be in the Enidhoven vicinity at the time of the allied invasion and will support KG Dreyer in their attempts to cut the allied airborne corridor to Nijmegen.

Also new is the Sd.Kfz 251/3 which is a radio/platoon commander halftrack.

The Sd.Kfz 251/7 is a halftrack found in the armoured engineer batallions.

Some changes were made to the medals of the Axis.
The woundbadge for all axis forces is now black, indicating 3rd class. Stock CC5 and LSA had them bronze/gold for some reason.

Introducing is alos the panzer, general assault badge and the Luftwaffe ground assault badge.

The panzer badge will be awarded to all armoured crew members and panzergrenadiers (including SS) instead of the Infantry assault badge.

Same goes for the Luftwaffe ground assault badge, but its only awarded to lufwaffe soldiers and gunners.

General assault badge will be awarded to non-mechanized/motorized troops, including men from the Kriegsmarine.

As for the dutch SS soldier, they no longer get the Iron Cross 1st class but the Dutch SS medal for bravery (better known as the Mussert Cross).

So, whats left you wonder?

-Well, first of I have to finish doing the campaings.
There will be two grand campaigns (one for allied player and one for axis player, will explain upon release), Eindhoven, Nijmegen and Arnhem sector campaigns.
Currently im having no quick battles or Operations and Im not planing on doing any.

-Then there is the sounds for the mod. Everything from gunfire to background sounds.

-There are some minor graphical adjustments to be made in the different screens.

-And lastly the big issue: all the unit pics.
This will take quite some time to do.

And after all that I have to test the stuff, don't want you to try to play a broken mod  Laughing

Update.JPG
 Description:
Some of the new stuff
 Filesize:  62.8 KB
 Viewed:  502 Time(s)

Update.JPG

#73: Re: It Never Snows In September: A mod for Last Stand Arnhem Author: Dima PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 1:39 pm
    —
I'd suggest adding 2.8cm to some of 251/7 Smile.

#74: Re: It Never Snows In September: A mod for Last Stand Arnhem Author: SebRays PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 5:33 pm
    —
Hope a Beta version will be out soon. Smile

#75: Re: It Never Snows In September: A mod for Last Stand Arnhem Author: Pzt_KanovLocation: México PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 6:03 pm
    —
Great work on the medals and ranks.

#76: Re: It Never Snows In September: A mod for Last Stand Arnhem Author: dj PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 4:17 am
    —
Yea good job Gunsche.  Looking forward to the mod.

#77: Re: It Never Snows In September: A mod for Last Stand Arnhem Author: TejszdLocation: Canada PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 6:01 am
    —
Thank you for the update! Looks good and looking forward to playing the mod....

#78: Re: It Never Snows In September: A mod for Last Stand Arnhem Author: Gunsche PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 8:58 pm
    —
Thanks guys, Beta is on the way but there are still some things to do.
The campaigns are done as are the unit pics for all allied units.
Left is pictures for the german units (which is a pain in the ass to find, finding pictures of for example kriegsmarine gunners/sailors in ground combat role is almost impossible to find), sounds and of course testing. I have begun playing through the allied grand campaign while updating the game with new sounds and graphics as it doesn't mess with the save file.

Question is if I just should settle with doing a test play or two and then release the beta and later "patch" the mod with the last sounds and pictures?

#79: Re: It Never Snows In September: A mod for Last Stand Arnhem Author: SebRays PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 11:59 am
    —
In fact, if you release a beta version, it will allow you to detect all possible bugs that you have not seen yet. Because constantly having your noses stuck on a project you end up losing sight of the small details, this is normal. In addition, it will allow you to have more time to focus on the essentials and also probe the community on the opinion of your Mod.  Razz

#80: Re: It Never Snows In September: A mod for Last Stand Arnhem Author: SebRays PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 7:43 pm
    —
By the way, did you manage to find a way to get a "Major" when selecting squad like "Company HQ" and "Platoon HQ" because I checked and the rank is indeed in the "GameGadg.gdg" file and there are even sounds in "*. sfx" files.

#81: Re: It Never Snows In September: A mod for Last Stand Arnhem Author: SebRays PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 4:35 pm
    —
Hello, anybody here ??

#82: Re: It Never Snows In September: A mod for Last Stand Arnhem Author: DoktorPajLocation: Norrköping PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 4:49 pm
    —
SebRays wrote (View Post):
By the way, did you manage to find a way to get a "Major" when selecting squad like "Company HQ" and "Platoon HQ" because I checked and the rank is indeed in the "GameGadg.gdg" file and there are even sounds in "*. sfx" files.

I don't think there is a way to do implement the major as it is now, I've never seen a major used in any of the CC games I've played (except in COI). But you could edit the game to use a major's rank graphic and voice file instead of captain, but that wouldn't really be the same, and the voice file for "The Major has been wounded" (file no. 0032) will not be used in the game.
This could be done quite easily in LSA, WAR or TLD since they use several possible nation files. This way you could have one separate nation with these minor edits and only use it for company command squads.

#83: Re: It Never Snows In September: A mod for Last Stand Arnhem Author: DoktorPajLocation: Norrköping PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 1:18 am
    —
How's it going?

#84: Re: It Never Snows In September: A mod for Last Stand Arnhem Author: Gunsche PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:44 am
    —
Sorry for the slow reply, but you know: the weather is wonderfull, the birds are singing etc etc  (not to mention 30+ celcius indoors!)
Laughing

Progress has been slow during the summer but not halted.
Those damned unit card pics for the germans are coming along at an painfully slow pace.
At the moment I have put that aside to work on the vehicle wrecks as many are the ugly stock ones and some are missing for the new vehicles which will cause crasches if that particular vehicle wreck was ment to be present on the battlefield.

When that is done Im thinking of releasing a beta for you all to test while I finish the small things.
Any god idea where I can upload it? Unzipped its about 1,62 GB.

#85: Re: It Never Snows In September: A mod for Last Stand Arnhem Author: dj PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 2:29 pm
    —
Mooxe should be able to get that set-up for you.  Good stuff...any new screen shots?

#86: Re: It Never Snows In September: A mod for Last Stand Arnhem Author: Gunsche PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 8:39 pm
    —
Quote:
Good stuff...any new screen shots?

I get the feeling, dj!  Wink
Sadly I have nothing to show for yet, maybe some ingame screens of the new maps?
Or screens from a test campaign playing as the allies?

#87: Re: It Never Snows In September: A mod for Last Stand Arnhem Author: Ivan_Zaitzev PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 10:43 pm
    —
Would love to see the new maps.

#88: Re: It Never Snows In September: A mod for Last Stand Arnhem Author: Gunsche PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 7:17 am
    —
Alrighty then, here is the first map: LZ-Z Renkum Heath
Map by southerland, coding and tree planting by me.

The scenario: A company from KGr Krafft has located one of the LZs and is attempting to delay the allied advance.

(This battle ain't in the GC as KGr Krafft is busy at Wolfheze. The company who did attack the LZ didn't stay very long and fell back to Krafft due to fear of being encircled)

Last edited by Gunsche on Sun Jul 27, 2014 7:37 am; edited 1 time in total

1.JPG
 Description:
Getting across the road to try to set up a havy MG team. British starts to lay down mortar fire.
 Filesize:  178.23 KB
 Viewed:  531 Time(s)

1.JPG

2.JPG
 Description:
A couple of Para teams are still on the LZ and they are desperately trying to get of it. My mortars and MG are doing their magic.
 Filesize:  173.37 KB
 Viewed:  432 Time(s)

2.JPG

#89: Re: It Never Snows In September: A mod for Last Stand Arnhem Author: Gunsche PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 7:29 am
    —
Continue from the previous post

4.JPG
 Description:
Two scout teams finds a pesky mortar section. In a minute the mortars are silenced.
 Filesize:  169.86 KB
 Viewed:  413 Time(s)

4.JPG

5.JPG
 Description:
Grenadiers are moving up to some of the northern field landed gliders.
 Filesize:  167.58 KB
 Viewed:  476 Time(s)

5.JPG

#90: Re: It Never Snows In September: A mod for Last Stand Arnhem Author: Gunsche PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 7:33 am
    —

6.JPG
 Description:
Moving on the road is suicidal. My men try to crawl by the side of the road but several of them gets killed by a Vickers further down the field to the south.
 Filesize:  167.92 KB
 Viewed:  450 Time(s)

6.JPG

7.JPG
 Description:
Accurate MG and rifle fire coming from this area.
 Filesize:  170.21 KB
 Viewed:  403 Time(s)

7.JPG

#91: Re: It Never Snows In September: A mod for Last Stand Arnhem Author: Gunsche PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 7:36 am
    —

The battle is over and my troops made very little progress. Most of the time they were suppressed by the enemy MG fire. The british could shoot pretty much where he wanted to: the map is flat after all and there is very little cover.

But thats how a landing zone is supposed to look like  Wink

Next map coming soon.

8.JPG
 Description:
Battle is over!
 Filesize:  67.13 KB
 Viewed:  444 Time(s)

8.JPG

#92: Re: It Never Snows In September: A mod for Last Stand Arnhem Author: Gunsche PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 7:18 am
    —
Small update.

KGr Reinhold's Pz IVs were removed and they recived 2 StuG IIIGs. The Panzer IVs will later show up as reinforcements.
This is so simulate the ferry crossing operations the 10.SS were conducting at the Pannerden. They could only send 1 tank across at a time.  

I did a check on the mortars as I felt they were too accurate. Their acuraccy rating were set to 252 (50%?) resulting in pretty tight clusters of explosions around the enemy with devastating results. They have now been lowered to 33 and tested.
Check the attached images ( in wrong order ofc) to see the results.

400m.JPG
 Description:
Twice the range, just blindfire. Very few shells lands in the green area where I put the FIRE command dots. Red circles shows two concentrations of detonations about 30-40 meters from the green area. Note the yellow zones.
 Filesize:  221.83 KB
 Viewed:  427 Time(s)

400m.JPG

200m.JPG
 Description:
Range to target is 200meters (minimum range for the medium mortars). Firing with 4 3-inch and 4 2-inch mortars. Results are pretty clear: at close ranges the mortars are still pretty accurate.
 Filesize:  82.91 KB
 Viewed:  407 Time(s)

200m.JPG

#93: Re: It Never Snows In September: A mod for Last Stand Arnhem Author: dj PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 4:37 am
    —
Thanks Gunsche.  Are you using smaller maps similar size as original CC2?  Actually I would prefer smaller maps - hope that can improve AI gameplay, similar to original CC2. Plus it should save a bit of time for creating the maps.  How is the Strategic map looking?  Keep it up...we are all looking forward to this mod!

#94: Re: It Never Snows In September: A mod for Last Stand Arnhem Author: Gunsche PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 7:21 am
    —
The new maps are of varying sizes. Some of them are remakes of the original CC2 maps, so they are pretty small compared to some of the LSA maps.

Please observe: I have NOT made any of these maps. I have only planted trees and coded them.
All graphical-wise work was mady by southerland.

Last edited by Gunsche on Mon Aug 11, 2014 7:27 am; edited 1 time in total

Koevering.JPG
 Description:
The assembly point for 502 PIR in the Eindhoven sector. rnIt's also a place where the german player may try to cut the corridor.
 Filesize:  541.48 KB

Koevering.JPG

Elst Approach.JPG
 Description:
Just before the Elst map. Just to give the germans more of a chance of stalling the allies.
 Filesize:  598.61 KB
 Viewed:  407 Time(s)

Elst Approach.JPG

Devils Hill Hill 75.JPG
 Description:
North of the Groesbeek LZs.rnCalled the Devil's Hill
 Filesize:  512.7 KB
 Viewed:  393 Time(s)

Devils Hill Hill 75.JPG

Best Town.JPG
 Description:
The Best area has been split in two. Now there is Best Town and Best Bridge.
 Filesize:  1.16 MB
 Viewed:  434 Time(s)

Best Town.JPG

#95: Re: It Never Snows In September: A mod for Last Stand Arnhem Author: Gunsche PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 7:26 am
    —
Post 2

Renkum Heath LZ Z.JPG
 Description:
You have already seen it but I did modify it further by adding some more trees for cover.
 Filesize:  617.32 KB
 Viewed:  395 Time(s)

Renkum Heath LZ Z.JPG

West Oosterbeek.JPG
 Description:
Another map to make the british Oosterbeek perimiter bigger when they get encircled by KG von Tettau from the west and the II.SS Pz Korps from the east.
 Filesize:  535.66 KB
 Viewed:  417 Time(s)

West Oosterbeek.JPG

Veghel Town.JPG
 Description:
Just a map infront of the Veghel bridge. Will see battles later in the campaign as the germans try to cut the corridor.
 Filesize:  495.68 KB
 Viewed:  356 Time(s)

Veghel Town.JPG

Lent.JPG
 Description:
The first village across the Nijmegen bridge, also the only map which the Waal crossing map is connected to.
 Filesize:  336.45 KB
 Viewed:  339 Time(s)

Lent.JPG

#96: Re: It Never Snows In September: A mod for Last Stand Arnhem Author: TejszdLocation: Canada PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 7:34 am
    —
Thanks for the previews!

#97: Re: It Never Snows In September: A mod for Last Stand Arnhem Author: dj PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 5:58 pm
    —
Good idea, no need to reinvent the wheel, might as well re-use CC2 maps.  I thought they looked a lot smaller than LSA maps.

#98: Re: It Never Snows In September: A mod for Last Stand Arnhem Author: Sapa PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 5:36 am
    —
Great work!

Looking forward to those small maps  Smile

/Mats

#99: Re: It Never Snows In September: A mod for Last Stand Arnhem Author: stienerLocation: Gibsons B.C. canada PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 6:59 pm
    —
looking good!!! cant wait for the mod  Very Happy

#100: Re: It Never Snows In September: A mod for Last Stand Arnhem Author: Gunsche PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 11:33 am
    —
Good news people! Very Happy
Beta is currently being uploaded, only 3hrs to go.... Evil or Very Mad

#101: Re: It Never Snows In September: A mod for Last Stand Arnhem Author: platoon_michaelLocation: Right behind you PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 2:48 pm
    —
Gunsche wrote (View Post):
Good news people! Very Happy
Beta is currently being uploaded, only 3hrs to go.... Evil or Very Mad

Awesome!
I will definitely play this.

#102: Re: It Never Snows In September: A mod for Last Stand Arnhem Author: Gunsche PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 3:55 pm
    —
Bad news. I have everything uploaded except the maps. I had just 8mins to go when the upload terminated. I can't bloody belive it!
2,5 hours wait to waste. Shocked
I'll try again with the maps tomorrow. Sorry lads.

When I get everything up I will start a new thread where I will explain how to install the mod and what settings to use.
Players will also be able to post their feedback there.

#103: Re: It Never Snows In September: A mod for Last Stand Arnhem Author: Gunsche PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 9:18 pm
    —
Beta now available here:
http://www.closecombatseries.net/CCS/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=10625

#104: Re: It Never Snows In September: A mod for Last Stand Arnhem Author: dj PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 7:28 pm
    —
Much appreciated Gunsche!

#105: Re: It Never Snows In September: A mod for Last Stand Arnhem Author: Sapa PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 2:56 pm
    —
I have a smaller version of the Valkensward map made by Schrecken if you want it?. It helps the AI attack it seems...and stops the "running around drinking tea"  Very Happy

Its about 7mb, if you want it were could i send it?

/Mats

walken.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  349.73 KB
 Viewed:  493 Time(s)

walken.jpg

Close Combat Series -> Close Combat Last Stand Arnhem

output generated using printer-friendly topic mod. All times are GMT

Page 1 of 1