TLD Kharkov Mod bugs report and suggestions
Select messages from
# through # Forum FAQ
[/[Print]\]

Close Combat Series -> Kharkov

#1: TLD Kharkov Mod bugs report and suggestions Author: Drizzt PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 8:13 pm
    —
Report here bugs you have found and/or suggestions.
Please remember that I was the only tester and, even if the mod seems to me already solid, basically it’s like a beta and maybe there are bugs that I don’t have found.
Moreover, there are also (few) bugs properly of TLD (and of course the classic installation/configuration problems that from time to time can happen).
Anyway after your reports I will try to understand if it’s a mod bug or another kind of problem.

Here some things to keep in mind testing my mod:

- To avoid occasional crash follow the hints in the readme file under “Single Player” section: some of them cannot be avoided because they regard the original game, but they are rare and anyway occasional; some others can be eliminated with the windows compatibility mode (of course don’t report occasional crash that are in the readme file list).

- Remember that v 2.1 is not save game compatible with v 2.0: don’t report errors/bugs if you find them continuing old campaigns/ops after have patched the mod.

- In campaign settings I have used “0” and “100” values for the score system: I’m not sure that they can be used so let me know if you have crash problems at the end of the fifth day of the grand campaign (report it also if you play with the mod not patched to v 2.1).

Just because this mod it’s basically a beta I want encourage you all to report constant game crash if you find any of them. If you want help, if/when you find constant crash, try to remove starting 15 units one by one (player and opponent) trying to play each time to find the unit that causes the crash: often the cause of a constant game crash are the bad settings of a single unit (especially guns and tanks).
Anyway, more in general, report the campaign/operation day, the map, and the battlegroups involved. I would also know if there were many wrecks due to previous battles on the map involved in the game crash (I remember an old CC5 bug about this fact, but seems to me to remember that it wasn’t a constant crash).

Finally, testing the mod please take care also these two things:

- the possibility to cross bridges with medium and heavy tanks (if they can't cross, it's a bug): I have already corrected two bridges for v 2.1, let me know if you find some others problems of this kind.
- Victory location names: considering the maps I have used, if you have suggestions about some "historical" generic and/or specific Vls names to augment the variety of them in the maps I will change some of them.

Drizzt

Last edited by Drizzt on Wed Nov 06, 2013 12:24 pm; edited 2 times in total

#2: Re: TLD Kharkov Mod bugs report and suggestions Author: Dima PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 8:50 pm
    —
I will be the first:

There wasn't 122mm mortar - it was 120mm Smile

#3: Re: TLD Kharkov Mod bugs report and suggestions Author: salhexe PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 9:23 am
    —
Installed

I chose to Soviet elite vs german recruit, (I think is the most playable), never act, full info and always obey on, time 15 min, force morale on.
Starting GC moviment as in image and no deploy barrage or airstrike, the game crash during loading the first battle (belgorod), after tried 4 times, the map load, this no happens if I dont move anything or assign arty or airstrike.
No problems playing as german.

#4: Re: TLD Kharkov Mod bugs report and suggestions Author: Drizzt PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 10:06 am
    —
to Salhexe: I have tried what you have said but no crash problems for me (5 times consecutively with strong support on Bgs and the movements done as in the picture, than belgorod battle without problems). It doesn't seems a mod problem: you have done some others movements that I don't see in the picture?
I have tried with elite vs recruit, but I suggest to you to play line vs line because some TLD org options are, in my opinion, too much not balanced with elite vs recruit (see readme).

Edit: I have also tried movements without arty/air support: no problems again. I was thinking that hardware not particularly recent (so not particularly powerfull) can cause more crash especially in grand campaigns (because full of Bgs and maps), and especially in the first turn of them: it happens also to me in past.
Another thing: the patch (for org game) you have installed is the last (see readme)? It must be the 5.50.14b (you can find it on this site).

to Dima: thanks, In the next weeks I will build a quick patch with all (in my opinion possible) things suggested in this thread.

Drizzt

Last edited by Drizzt on Mon Oct 14, 2013 10:48 am; edited 1 time in total

#5: Re: TLD Kharkov Mod bugs report and suggestions Author: salhexe PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 10:47 am
    —
Thx
yes I moved all the line also tank div, Yes this is not a mod problem and I use xp pro.
In future i think to developed an soviet vetmod (not german becouse here G are powerfull) .
First battle is ok and german ai is hard. Very good

#6: Re: TLD Kharkov Mod bugs report and suggestions Author: Drizzt PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 10:55 am
    —
to Salexe: glad you have resolved. Germans are not more strong than russians: see force strength bar info (is the bar in command screen) in the readme file. Moreover, 9 russian divisions can reinforce, all others (german and russians) not (again, readme file).
I write this things only as info: of course you are totally free to do your vetmod, but I really suggest you all to play this mod with the balance that I have set.

Drizzt

#7: Re: TLD Kharkov Mod bugs report and suggestions Author: Drizzt PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 5:05 pm
    —
I have found a bug that appears with win7: to exit from soldier screen after have selected only a 10 men squad causes game crash, but if (always in soldier screen) you select a “normal” (no more than 7 men) team, exit, then enter again, you can now select every team you want for the exit from soldier screen without crash problems.
If you have win7, I suggest to you all to set for the CCE.exe file the winXP SP3 compatibility: do it eliminate the bug that I have described now, and also eliminate the “exiting bug” (in the readme of the mod I have described it: game sometime crash when you exit from the game).

Drizzt

Edit: weird, also setting the compatibility with win7 (using already win7) can help to eliminate these two bugs.

#8: Re: TLD Kharkov Mod bugs report and suggestions Author: MG422 PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 1:50 am
    —
First of all thanks for your work it is great to see cc back on the Eastern Front.

Two issues I have are related to crashing.  I have windows 7 with 64 bit and reset cc.exe file to windows xp sp3 compatibility mode.  I still had the issue.  I have other mods installed for TLD and do not recall having the issue before.  Also saw the error code 18. Looked it up on Matrix forums in TLD and they said the same thing as you did.  Will continue to see what will work.  Saw maybe turning off AV program helps.  Will try and let you know.  It happens sporadically.

Other issue and impacts gameplay is I am unable to add artillery to a unit on the strategic map.  I can add air support and mortars but not artillery.  Seen this happen before with other cc games (I have them all except for CCMT).  But able to get it added to a unit.  Let me know if you have any suggestions.

Thanks again, you did a nice job!

#9: Re: TLD Kharkov Mod bugs report and suggestions Author: MG422 PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 2:30 am
    —
I believe the issue with crashing could be due to the antivirus program by disabling mine it seemed to work fine.

Also realize that you do not allow artillery on all maps.  What is good program for opening tga files?

#10: Re: TLD Kharkov Mod bugs report and suggestions Author: Drizzt PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 5:44 am
    —
Hi mg422, glad you like the mod: a good freeware program  to open tga files it's IrfanView (good because it's a light program). To have artillery support available only in some maps it's normal: every mod I think has been set in this way, and of course the original game. To set a total support is not good for gameplay and strategy (in the mod artillery support replace original naval support).

Drizzt

Edit: remember that you have 3 turns per day to use all the support, but anyway yes, sometime, it can also happen that you can't use it all because the number of battles on supported maps in a day can be lesser than the artillery support available in a day (for example in a small operation with limited number of maps available, and more in general it can depend to movements chosen by you and the IA).

#11: Re: TLD Kharkov Mod bugs report and suggestions Author: Pzt_KanovLocation: México PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 4:33 pm
    —
Great mod, what I feel very different is that you start with almost all of your forces already on the strat map. It feels weird playing with full german squads this time of 10 men. I love the maps.

Any ways, I've too experienced the odd crash but have yet to find a cause.

#12: Re: TLD Kharkov Mod bugs report and suggestions Author: Drizzt PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 8:00 pm
    —
Hi Pzt Kanov and thanks again for the feedback. Yes, german ten men squads are uncommon in CC: I like how battles are with them (I mean the fight against ten men russian squads).
About the number of Bgs immediately on the ground: 2nd battle of kharkov it’s really big so needs many Bgs to cover all front; moreover, I have tried to preserve the salient to be reconquered by germans too fast refilling it of russian Bgs.
To be honest, besides the crash bugs explained in this thread and in the readme file, I don’t have odd crash: with more details maybe I can help you.
A small advice (for all): it’s better to wait the first patch before play the grand campaign: I’m not sure that will be 100% savegame compatible. Anyway I will set future patches to be fully savegame compatible (and I will release not savegame compatible things, if any, in the last patch in some moths time from now).

Drizzt

#13: Re: TLD Kharkov Mod bugs report and suggestions Author: southern_land PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 4:32 am
    —
yeah I'm really enjoying the big squads... blood everywhere   LOL

#14: Re: TLD Kharkov Mod bugs report and suggestions Author: nikin PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 9:38 am
    —
Fantastic. I thought that can not make a mod worse than BoB. I was wrong.

#15: Re: TLD Kharkov Mod bugs report and suggestions Author: Drizzt PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 12:11 pm
    —
Nikin, don’t expect to have seen the worst, there is always something more worse (and of course the opposite). Don’t forget it again, it's a simple rule.
I like BoB, please don’t use it in a “negative way” in this thread (not because I like it, but because it’s anyway the wrong place).
Of course, fire as you prefer on my mod: I have asked to Dima to work with me because I perfectly know that the mod can be really improved (I have asked his help in this forum: it’s easy to verify it).

Drizzt

#16: Re: TLD Kharkov Mod bugs report and suggestions Author: southern_land PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 8:59 pm
    —
Had a double CTD on the attached GC

It's a German offensive from the left side of the strat map

#17: Re: TLD Kharkov Mod bugs report and suggestions Author: Drizzt PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 9:23 pm
    —
Thanks for the save Southernland: when exactly game crash? I can enter in the battle without problem: I must fight? You suggest it's better to lose or to win to see the bug crash? I need more details, thanks in advance: very usefull the save because in this way I'm totally sure if something happens also to me or not.
A small advice (that interests all): my stratmap.txt has been a little bit improved (in the last post of "TLD Kharkov Mod Download" thread there is a regularly updated list of the changes made by me for the first patch), so there is a possibility, even if very small, that I don't have this bug due to these changes. Of course this is valid only if the bug crash happens entering in the first map available for the battle (Bogodukhov: 36/14 Pz vs 227 Rifle): I await more details.

Drizzt

#18: Re: TLD Kharkov Mod bugs report and suggestions Author: southern_land PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 1:02 am
    —
5-10 seconds in both times, though just played through perfectly now

#19: Re: TLD Kharkov Mod bugs report and suggestions Author: Drizzt PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 8:45 am
    —
Glad to see it's not a constant crash Southernland.
Anyway, I have played the battle three times: first time I have finished it (no CTD); second time only 5 minutes covering all the map with my troops in the best possible way (no CTD); third time I have used all the teams in forcepools that don't were in the starting 15 teams for both sides (5 minutes of battle: no CTD). All seems ok.

Drizzt

#20: Re: TLD Kharkov Mod bugs report and suggestions Author: Drizzt PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:50 pm
    —
Hi to all, when you test the mod, as well as possible bugs , please take care also these two things:

- the possibility to cross bridges with medium and heavy tanks (if they can't cross, it's a bug): I have already corrected two bridges for v 2.1, let me know if you find some others problems of this kind.
- Victory location names: considering the maps I have used, if you have suggestions about some "historical" generic and/or specific Vls names to augment the variety of them in the maps I will change some of them.
About Vls I have also this question: I suspect that almost all Vls that I have named “Fortress” are instead orthodox churches but I’m not sure (see the squared shape big buildings): someone can confirm?

Drizzt

#21: Re: TLD Kharkov Mod bugs report and suggestions Author: southern_land PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 4:05 am
    —
yeah orthodox churches...the domes on the roofs aren't that obvious

#22: Re: TLD Kharkov Mod bugs report and suggestions Author: Drizzt PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 12:50 pm
    —
Thanks Southerland, I will correct. I have never seen an Orthodox Church (probably only in some films without give to them much attention): some days ago I have seen in the web the particular shape of some of them and I have understood my mistake. Anyway there is a map that has particularly brought me to wrong: the big squared building in Dovzhyk map probably isn’t a church.

Drizzt

#23: Re: TLD Kharkov Mod bugs report and suggestions Author: Drizzt PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 12:53 am
    —
After almost three campaign days of battles I can say that v 2.1 it’s very stable despite the many changes in Data: I have had only one crash due to chronometer bug (and I have finished many battles with the time run out): it’s the first crash due to chronometer bug after 25 consecutive time run out end battles without the bug (v 2.0 included).
I have also had a classic crash at the end of the first battle of the first day of grand campaign (only one time): this bug was present also in CC5 (see readme file) and can happens also at the end of the first battle after every movement phase (but this one it’s more rare towards first turn of the first day bug crash).
In conclusion all seems very solid. I have also corrected some other things like a roof in Volchansk map, minor issues in some txt map files (like two more bridges), some victory location names, ,minor issues in Data and the T-34 tank gun (the F-34, very important correction): the mistake is that I had used the T-34 rush made tank gun that has a very bad range towards the original T-34 tank gun.
In one week or so I will build patch v 2.2 (deleting v 2.1 and quick fix links) if nobody have nothing important to report. I have had a lot of fun in these tests: tests without problems and very good close combat. I’m playing with russians and after the first day of battles I have lost 1300 men (incapacitated+dead), 20 guns, 18 vehicles and 44 tanks, german IA has lost 1100 men, 16 guns, 26 vehicles, and 33 tanks: I have paid every centimeter conquered.

About the feeling with Data reworked for realism, german tanks speaking in general are more strong than in v 2.0 (it's good, russian already have numerical superiority, even if it's about men, not tanks): KV-1 are monsters no more but remain (in my opinion) the best tanks, and T-34 tanks with the corrected tank gun are better (they seemed really weak with the wrong tank gun). About infantry, the difference it’s exactly as I wanted it and imagined it.

Drizzt

#24: Re: TLD Kharkov Mod bugs report and suggestions Author: Drizzt PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:39 pm
    —
Hi to all, here some things to keep in mind testing my mod:

- To avoid occasional crash follow the hints in the readme file under “Single Player” section: some of them cannot be avoided because they regard the original game, but they are rare and anyway occasional; some others can be eliminated with the windows compatibility mode (of course don’t report occasional crash that are in the readme file list).

- Remember that v 2.1 is not save game compatible with v 2.0: don’t report errors/bugs if you find them continuing old campaigns/ops after have patched the mod.

- In campaign settings I have used “0” and “100” values for the score system: I’m not sure that they can be used so let me know if you have crash problems at the end of the fifth day of the grand campaign (report it also if you play with the mod not patched to v 2.1).

Just because this mod it’s basically a beta I want encourage you all to report constant game crash if you find any of them. If you want help, if/when you find constant crash, try to remove starting 15 units one by one (player and opponent) trying to play each time to find the unit that causes the crash: often the cause of a constant game crash are the bad settings of a single unit (especially guns and tanks).
Anyway, more in general, report the campaign/operation day, the map, and the battlegroups involved. I would also know if there were many wrecks due to previous battles on the map involved in the game crash (I remember an old CC5 bug about this fact, but seems to me to remember that it wasn’t a constant crash).

Drizzt

#25: Re: TLD Kharkov Mod bugs report and suggestions Author: stienerLocation: Gibsons B.C. canada PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 1:54 am
    —
where can i find this mod for TLD??? is not here at CCS that i can see........

#26: Re: TLD Kharkov Mod bugs report and suggestions Author: Drizzt PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 9:13 am
    —
to Steiner: in this forum (Kharkov forum), see the first post in "TLD Kharkov Mod Download" thread: you can find the download links for the full mod, a patch, and a quick fix after the patch.
When I will release a new patch you will find it always there.

Drizzt

#27: Re: TLD Kharkov Mod bugs report and suggestions Author: johnsilverLocation: Florida PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 2:13 pm
    —
Beginning to note a nasty habit. Last time it occurred on the Myrne map and it involves the CTD at the end of the scenario during campaign play.

Seems once the CTD, or COD occurs the 1st time during the particular campaign this one is prone to having it occur again and again (to me at least) until this campaign is removed and all traces of it have been cleansed from the WAR folder and then reinstalled. Have noticed this before on 1 other campaign that enjoyed and was somewhat incompatible with the latest patch, Nomada FF BOB mod and this was the only way to continue his latest version after a CTD from a save, as you would get these multiple times afterward and have noticed 3 CTD so far now the last 2 days in the 2.1 version on Kharkov mod.

Played the mod dozens of times under 2.0 just fine, it was odd that the bug has chosen so late a time to show itself and my WAR is patched properly with a legal copy (just adding that of course) and even reinstalled the game 6-8 months ago.

Just mentioning this in case anyone has tried anything else to defeat that nasty CTD bug that has followed every CC game the last several years and even earlier titles.

#28: Re: TLD Kharkov Mod bugs report and suggestions Author: Drizzt PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 3:01 pm
    —
Thanks for reporting Johnsilver. I have heard about this bug many times in past: it seems a weird kind of "installation corrupted" bug. About CC5, I have never used modswap and similar things, I had every CC5 mods manually installed in separate folders ready to start each of them in any moment: doing in this way I have never had this "installation corrupted" bug. I know, Kharkov don't use modswap, but maybe you have used it for others mods recently?
Anyway, should not be a mod problem, but there is a thing to keep in mind: I have never tested my mod with WAR, I have only tried if every campaigns/ops worked with it (WAR and TLD mods have been declared full compatible, but different .exe files remain anyway different .exe files: I mean that it's a big difference even if they are compatible and I can only hope that really they work in the same way).
A question: have you have deleted all the folders, even if empty folders, before reinstall all? If not, I suggest to you to do it and reinstall all.
Another thing: have you conserved the Kharkov campaign saved file? If yes, after re-installation all it works in the right way?

Drizzt

#29: Re: TLD Kharkov Mod bugs report and suggestions Author: johnsilverLocation: Florida PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 4:37 am
    —
Hi Drzzt,

No, not played any other mods since started playing with this one of yours originally. No plugins with the Manger, etc..

Will go back and just reinstall again and check to make sure nothing is left empty from original install. Admit I wasn't careful there.. Could have done that, but don't think so. Would be nice if it was that simple.

On the save file. Yes, that I saved.

Thanks,

JS

#30: Re: TLD Kharkov Mod bugs report and suggestions Author: Drizzt PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 10:20 am
    —
Thanks Johnsilver, your report will be really useful for me especially considering you play WAR.

One specification about installation corrupted bugs: the period to consider it's from when you have installed WAR to when the bug happens. In this case should be from 6-8 months ago (in your previous post I can read it) to few days ago (when bug has happened): in this period you haven't use plugins and others similar things on WAR?

About my hint it has helped some users in past so I hope that can help also you (I mean that it's a "tested" hint: consider it good for all CC version).

About the save files: In my previous post I have forgotten to mention that it's good at the end of every entire turn, in debrief screen before next movement phase, to save the current campaign (I mean a new save). Players can continue with the old and use the new as backup. Long time ago (about CC5), I have heard of some people that complaint about corrupted save files: they were really few and to be honest it never happens to me, but from CC5 I always create the backup save files so I suggest you (and to all) to create them.

Drizzt

#31: Re: TLD Kharkov Mod bugs report and suggestions Author: johnsilverLocation: Florida PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 6:21 pm
    —
Quote:
in this period you haven't use plugins and others similar things on WAR?

Sorry Drzzt, read your original post wrong on that. yes, in the last 6 months I have played other WAR mods via the plugin manager, just not since beginning to play yours that only started a little over a month ago.

Quote:
In my previous post I have forgotten to mention that it's good at the end of every entire turn, in debrief screen before next movement phase, to save the current campaign (I mean a new save).

Thanks for that. I already do that. It has been one of the "tried my own way" work arounds to stop that particular bug. It seems that very often when a turn, or campaign crashes on a save it becomes corrupted, therefore I double save each turn, one name I write over every time until a crash and a numerical, sequenced number.

Thanks for the hints. One way or the other this bug will finally get squashed for good.

Edit:

Just going to make the post change additions here:

After complete uninstall/install. making sure everything was gone and playing 8-10 turns today? No crashes thus far. Hoping it stays that way.

Forgot to mention one thing however earlier. The Myrne crash, or think it was that one was on a "clean" or 1st time map was playing that time around campaign play. Might be mistaken on the map, but 1 of the crashes was on an Axis attack, 1st time played where was clearly winning on an attack 1st time played.

#32: Re: TLD Kharkov Mod bugs report and suggestions Author: Schmal_Turm PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 10:05 pm
    —
Drizzt,

I am not saying that it is a big problem but I am trying to figure out how a T-26 can survive 6 rounds from my Stug and then return fire knocking it out?

Anyway, I have played your mod for a number of days now, on day 18 now of the campaign, and every so often there is a crash. Since the game doesn't get corrupted I am not too concerned with that. Very enjoyable, although I think the Katyushas are a little too quick to respond, and from what I have read maybe a little too accurate. To me they have become the most feared weapon the Russians have and I always seek to destroy them whenever I can find them. They are especially fearsome when trying to come out out that little area allowed on the attack. I think the larger area allowed with PitF is much easier to work with. Very well done.

#33: Re: TLD Kharkov Mod bugs report and suggestions Author: Drizzt PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 11:24 pm
    —
Hi Schmal_Turm, thanks for reporting. I really need reports because literally seems that I can’t have serious crash problems (and for me also occasional bug crash are very, very rare). I have of course also appreciated the compliments even if I don’t reply to them.

I’m at the end of May 16 and I’m playing with russians: both sides have lost more than 5000 men each one (german IA has lost something like 130 tanks and me something like 150). Some german infantry regiments have been hit hard and encircled: they are nearly depleted. Two of my tank brigades are near to be depleted and the 6th Army panzer divisions are again in a good situation: from 17th May will arrive 5 panzer battlegroups and 3 recon-PJ battlegroups... A lot of fun.

About your crash problems: have you have followed the hints in the readme file and the hints that I have given to John silver in my previous posts (they will be in the next readme file)?
Or: you are playing a v 2.0 campaign with v 2.1 version installed? They are not save game compatible. A specification for all: when I speak about v 2.1 I mean patch 2.1 plus quick fix 2: both things together.
Finally, there is of course a possible problem that I prefer don’t debate because I can’t physically check users computers: I’m speaking about the “health” of operative systems (for example, in my opinion, a clean windows register and a defragged hard disk can help to avoid installation corrupted bugs due to a continuative use of CC plugins; anyway the variances are thousands… so I prefer don’t debate about this argument).

About T-26: it should really be perfect (v 2.1). After Stalingrad mod comparison work I am confident about this fact.
The “mathematic” way that Data uses in the game I think it has been linked with a “mathematic calculation of probability work” made by programmers: in my opinion it’s fundamental because it’s the mathematic way to simulate the fortune: I think that the T-26 you have encountered has simply “won the lottery”. T-26 tanks I use in my campaign are normally weaker than german tanks (so the general feeling I have with them it’s good).
About katyusha I will take a look: about it my work comparison has been done with Der Kessel mod.

Let me know if my hints can’t resolve your crash problems (of course if it’s a problem of v2.0 - v2.1 compatibility it’s not possible to resolve it) and in this case I need a deep description: when and how it crash? There are always only some maps and/or battlegroups involved? Etc.

Thanks again for reporting, I hope you will resolve crash problems soon.

Drizzt

Edit: I have read only now new John Silver info, glad to know that all seem to work for now. About "first time map battle" possible crash: I will keep attention about this kind of battles, but for sure for now it never has happened to me. Thanks for the report John Silver.

#34: Re: TLD Kharkov Mod bugs report and suggestions Author: johnsilverLocation: Florida PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 7:09 pm
    —
Hi Drzzt,

I can confirm the Katyusha's that Schmal_Turm mentions. I target them myself as soon as a scenario opens, or look for them initially to see if one is present. Have seen them knock out Stug's numerous times, if not disable/damage them and have learned to at the very least keep AT guns spaced VERY far apart so don't lose 2 at one time the kill radius is so wide.

The 3.7cm gun you fixed for the Axis was well done. it no longer targets medium-heavy Russian tanks, only the light tanks and armored cars, plus infantry. Have seen it refuse to target a T34 that was parked next to it, sideways even..

Has anyone else noticed the 12cm mortar constantly getting lost in a cycle of "wrong facing" after firing a couple of rounds, then you have to go back to the unit, set it to "defend", then reset the target again in order to fix it? It's the same with the captured 12cmR team.

Nearly finished with the Axis campaign and no more crashes. Russians seem to have a never ending supply of armor. finally got one unit down to some Matilda 2's.

#35: Re: TLD Kharkov Mod bugs report and suggestions Author: Schmal_Turm PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 7:27 pm
    —
Yes, I too have noticed the tendency of the 120mm mortar with the inability to fire because of what you described johnsilver. Since you have figured out a "fix" which is the same one I figured would work then at least I can use that one.

I figured out a possible scenario as to why so many shots on the T26 were no good: The first two hit the running gear and the next 4 shots were from a factory using forced laborers who sabotaged the AP rounds.

#36: Re: TLD Kharkov Mod bugs report and suggestions Author: Drizzt PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 8:53 pm
    —
To John Silver: I can modify a little bit the accuracy of Katyusha but I have a question: when you say that one of them have destroyed two guns well distanced from each other, you mean with exactly the same shot? If yes I think it’s another kind of issue to correct. Katyusha fires many shots in few time: its arc of fire is (reasonably) wide and this is not an error (for what I know), it can destroy distanced guns with multiple shots.

About russian number or tanks: it’s similar to number of german tanks. Indeed, germans have some more tanks (but the surplus are light tanks). Tank brigades can’t reinforce, only 9 rifle divisions can do it.

Wrong facing issue: I have already written about them in the readme of v 2.2 (next version: you don’t have it). In my thread “need hints about modding TLD” (modding workshop) I have mentioned it some time ago and I have already changed the fire angle of heavy mortars to front arc (instead front only): this thing has a little bit improved the situation but not resolved it.
Arty guns (coded with indirect fire in my mod) have exactly the same problem.
I begin to think that it’s an org game engine issue-bug (no mortars and indirect fire guns are coded in vehicles.txt file in the org game). Anyway it’s a very secondary thing, even if I agree that it’s annoying.

To Schmal_Turm: I have checked T-26 just to be sure: it’s perfect. You used Stug40 F right? I ask because StugIII C and StugIII E, as in Stalingrad mod, don’t have AP ammo.

Drizzt

#37: Re: TLD Kharkov Mod bugs report and suggestions Author: johnsilverLocation: Florida PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 11:58 pm
    —
Hi Drzzt,

I am kind of used to playing vs super powerful werfrahmen (spelling) and Katyusha's. The various BOB mods all have those Werfrahmen in them (most) and they are as bad, plus wide of range coming in as those "stalin organs" do. Some other players may be more wanting of removal. The 12cm mortars bother me more to tell you the truth. Spread of fire for the katyusha's, and they seem to fire 6-8 at a time is massive. I no longer put 2 AT guns closer than 250' together if at all possible.

Schmal_Turm:

Get a 3.7cm "door knocker for those light tanks, armored cars and Katyusha's, plus even the AA trucks. They will fit in many buildings and take out those light tanks and trucks pretty fast. FWIW? The 7.5 artillery will also fit in many buildings, but it will generally only fire at the Katyusha, AA truck and troops.

#38: Re: TLD Kharkov Mod bugs report and suggestions Author: Drizzt PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 1:01 pm
    —
Hi John Silver, I have asked in another thread help about two aspects of katyusha, but, even without more info, I can say immediately that I have checked some fonts and checked katyusha towards wurfgerat 40 in the mod data: accuracy it’s very low for both (good thing) so my doubts are about which one it’s more accurate (but I repeat that both have already very, very low accuracy). Finally, blast value seems perfect.

About rounds speed of fire: wurfgerat is set to 10 and Katyusha to 1 (very fast): I have asked in another thread a good value to use for the Katyusha (wurfgerat value come from Stalingrad mod: should be perfect).

About number rounds of Katyusha: in the mod is set to 16, in real life I have found that can be from a minimum of 14 to a maximum of 48 so I don’t think to modify it.

Drizzt

Edit: wurgerat isn't in stalingrad mod (it's in Der kessel mod), so I have asked help for both rocket launchers.

Last edited by Drizzt on Tue Nov 12, 2013 5:53 pm; edited 1 time in total

#39: Re: TLD Kharkov Mod bugs report and suggestions Author: Schmal_Turm PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 3:15 pm
    —
Drizzt: Since I know you are a stickler for accuracy I am letting you know that the Pz. IV Aust. D, when you click on the main gun it shows "FREE" whatever that is supposed to mean.

johnsilver: I will take your advice. It will give me a good excuse to use the obsolete 37s since they are easily hidden in buildings.

#40: Re: TLD Kharkov Mod bugs report and suggestions Author: Drizzt PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 3:51 pm
    —
to Schmal_Turm: I continue to think that you play a v 2.0 campaign with v 2.1 patch or maybe the problem is an installation problem that I don't know (you never reply if one of my hint works or not), but the fact is that I can read the Pz IV D main gun name: 7.5cm kwk37 and I don't have almost touched data working for v 2.2.
For v 2.1 version, data have been reworked very, very deeply: "FREE" are data entries ready to be used by other weapons/vehicles (in future, if/when necessary).

Drizzt

Edit: I don't remember exactly if it was about Pz IVD, but there is also the possibility that you are right but only if you are playing a v 2.0 campaign with v 2.0 data: I mean that I remember to have corrected this problem for v 2.1.
For all: please, don't report errors found playing with v 2.0 data.

#41: Re: TLD Kharkov Mod bugs report and suggestions Author: johnsilverLocation: Florida PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 4:21 pm
    —
Drzzt,

PLEASE don't set it to 48, that is am thinking what the Sherman Calliope has in one of the BoB mods and it guarantee kills even a Jagd Panther 1st time fires that barrage and 5 minutes later is rearmed again with rockets. The loading times for Werfrahmen in various BOB mods (going from memory) varies with experience. As recall combat experience was around 1 per 30 minutes, to Experienced at seemed like 1 volley per 10-15 minutes if that helps, would have to open up the weapons data in some of the mods to check for sure.

Have not even used them in this campaign, the things are just too powerful in experience in BoB mods and the 12cm/R, or a pair of 8cm mortars are usually enough as support.

Schmal_Turm,

Yeah, That 3.7 will take out those armored cars and trucks all the way across a map with a clear LOS, they are amazing and fire/reload super fast. Give them a decent building, a leader close by and let 'em go, just don't order them to fire, they will pick up targets on their own.

#42: Re: TLD Kharkov Mod bugs report and suggestions Author: Drizzt PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 4:38 pm
    —
to John silver: no, don't worry I don't want set it to 48, I have only reported the maximum value I have found. Now (as in both v 2.0 and v 2.1) is set to 16 and it will remain in this way (maybe I can set it to 14 that is the minimum, but for sure no more than 16).
The reload I think is good: only one shot-charge in 15 minutes, maybe two if you fire immediately in the first seconds. I understand and I agree with you that they are too powerful to be used extensively. The speed of fire that I have mentioned in my previous post it's the temporal distance of the 16 rounds (from each other) fired by one shot-charge.

Drizzt

#43: Re: TLD Kharkov Mod bugs report and suggestions Author: platoon_michaelLocation: Right behind you PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 8:10 pm
    —
The # of rounds for the Calliope in WAR is set at 60 and I can tell you this is way too much.

That is what Matrix set it to,Not me

#44: Re: TLD Kharkov Mod bugs report and suggestions Author: johnsilverLocation: Florida PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:45 pm
    —
Nobody is blaming you for anything Michael. I remember you went as far as pulling the bloody werfrahmen out for the Axis one time. Giving the Allies 2-3 (forget exact number) might have been kind of a balancing way for the superior armor the Germans mostly had, but thanks for letting me know the exact amount was 60. I might turn that down some next time play your and TT's excellent campaign.

Have you gone through this one yet? it's been a royal blast going back on the Eastern front and with NICE 9-10 man infantry teams. The last patch (2.1) fixed some bugs and think Drzzt may be close on 2.2???

Drzzt,

Thanks for not allowing them multiple attacks also. i use "15 minute" scenarios in my game play. It's going to be fast & Dirty Wink

#45: Re: TLD Kharkov Mod bugs report and suggestions Author: Drizzt PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 12:23 am
    —
to John Silver: v.2.2 is basically the version that will be definitive for a long time after testing on v 2.1. To be honest  I have corrected only minor things even if they are many, especially about maps files. Also Panzerjager minen team correction will be in v 2.2 (thanks to you). In no more than two weeks I think to release it (all seems very stable). Data of v 2.2 will be also converted for CC5 version of the mod.
Of course I will continue to correct errors and minor issues if I will find any, but no more quick release will be available after the release of v 2.2.
You can consider v 2.1 like the "real" v 2.0 version: v 2.0 data was full of errors due to some "assembly mistakes", and I had also forgotten to insert my old data work (about data in v 2.0 not only T-26 was wrong, but also many other things).
Thanks again for testing the mod.

Drizzt

#46: Re: TLD Kharkov Mod bugs report and suggestions Author: johnsilverLocation: Florida PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 12:52 am
    —
Thank you for the fine mod Drzzt.

So.. The HE will get changed for the Panzerjager teams. I guess the charge itself has been changed in weapons data. That is the only weapon that was changed. The minen? By that, I mean the only infantry weapon changed for AT. The grenade bundle was set correctly?

probably wasting your time and don't make a special post to answer this.. Will probably have opened the data before you post back here as still haven't looked at yours yet for this mod.

Oh... 1 more thing was going to ask.. The units with 3 man Spahr.. You think they need another man or 2? It's like.. They make contact.. Then die..

#47: Re: TLD Kharkov Mod bugs report and suggestions Author: Drizzt PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 9:17 am
    —
To John Silver: for panzerjager (minen) team I have corrected the tellermine ammo in soldier data: tellermine in weapons data it’s good, but ammo I had set in soldier data was wrong, and set the wrong type ammo often it’s like set no ammo (they had totally useless) because many weapons, in weapons data, are coded to use only some kinds of ammo.
I have also added heat ammo (always in soldier data) for the schiessbecher: now it’s good against tanks.
Granat bundle it’s perfect, I have checked it.
About spahtrupp team: yes, I know that it's weak, but I have think to it as an "offhanded" recon team that must not engage the enemy waiting other troops before attack. It’s a choice that I like: recon-PJ Bgs have already their strong recon team.

Drizzt

#48: Re: TLD Kharkov Mod bugs report and suggestions Author: Dima PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 9:42 am
    —
Quote:
I have also added heat ammo (always in soldier data) for the schiessbecher: now it’s good against tanks

schiessbechers were not really available in May 1942.

#49: Re: TLD Kharkov Mod bugs report and suggestions Author: Drizzt PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 9:51 am
    —
Dima, when you say "really" you mean that there were few of them, or that they were totally not available?
For them I have only found that they have been introduced in 1942.

Drizzt

#50: Re: TLD Kharkov Mod bugs report and suggestions Author: Dima PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 9:53 am
    —
Drizzt wrote (View Post):
Dima, when you say "really" you mean that there were few of them, or that they were totally not available?
For them I have only found that they have been introduced in 1942.

yes, very few in numbers for both cups and grenades - the first use en masse was in Stalingrad.

#51: Re: TLD Kharkov Mod bugs report and suggestions Author: Drizzt PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 9:58 am
    —
Sorry Dima but I'm not sure what to do: you write "en masse" about Stalingrad, so again I ask to you if use few of them in kharkov is good or not.

Drizzt

#52: Re: TLD Kharkov Mod bugs report and suggestions Author: Dima PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:04 am
    —
Sorry Dima but I'm not sure what to do: you write "en masse" about Stalingrad, so again I ask to you if use few of them in kharkov is good or not.

they were available in little numbers by May - not sure the frontline units had them though.
so it's up to you

#53: Re: TLD Kharkov Mod bugs report and suggestions Author: Drizzt PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:14 am
    —
Excellent Dima: I will reduce them to 1 (from 2) for the panzegrenadiere and I will remove them from some of the teams in infantry divisions.

Drizzt

#54: Re: TLD Kharkov Mod bugs report and suggestions Author: TejszdLocation: Canada PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 9:21 pm
    —
A small issue with a roof on the map Volchansk;

#55: Re: TLD Kharkov Mod bugs report and suggestions Author: Drizzt PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 9:37 pm
    —
Thanks for reporting Tejszd, I have already corrected it for v 2.2 (I have spoken about it in page 2 of this thread).

Drizzt

#56: Re: TLD Kharkov Mod bugs report and suggestions Author: TejszdLocation: Canada PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 9:46 pm
    —
Sorry I missed it on page 2 Drizzt!

I have put a post in the Matrix TLD forum about your mod and forum here at Close Combat Series; http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3466930

#57: Re: TLD Kharkov Mod bugs report and suggestions Author: Drizzt PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 3:33 pm
    —
Thanks Tejszd, more testers are surely welcome.
Do you remember that recently (in another thread) we have spoken about the possibility to extract cc5.exe info for the TLD stratmap.txt file using BED9 tool? I don't have found this option (and nor a similar one): do you know how to do it with BED9 (as seems to me to have understood)?

Drizzt

#58: Re: TLD Kharkov Mod bugs report and suggestions Author: TejszdLocation: Canada PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 11:30 pm
    —
There is a few tools that can allow to get at CC5 data

1) Stratmap Munger = strat map data

#59: Re: TLD Kharkov Mod bugs report and suggestions Author: TejszdLocation: Canada PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 11:33 pm
    —
2) RtBTool Extract From EXE = pulls CC5 uniform colors and support information

Last edited by Tejszd on Thu Nov 14, 2013 11:51 pm; edited 1 time in total

#60: Re: TLD Kharkov Mod bugs report and suggestions Author: TejszdLocation: Canada PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 11:45 pm
    —
3) RtBTool Screen Patching = allows you to edit/view strat areas/data

Last edited by Tejszd on Thu Nov 14, 2013 11:54 pm; edited 1 time in total

#61: Re: TLD Kharkov Mod bugs report and suggestions Author: TejszdLocation: Canada PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 11:49 pm
    —
BTD-Editor v1.09 will not work for CC5 as it requires stratmap.txt (WAR/TLD & LSA are listed as tested) but it does allow to create/edit/view strat areas/data.

#62: Re: TLD Kharkov Mod bugs report and suggestions Author: Drizzt PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 12:13 am
    —
Many thanks for this full info Tejszd: About it I can say that I know the various options of rtb tool, and BED9 works exactly as I imagined; what I don't knew it's the stratmap munger tool: where can I find it? It's not the old stratedit tool right?

Drizzt

#63: Re: TLD Kharkov Mod bugs report and suggestions Author: TejszdLocation: Canada PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 1:26 am
    —
Yes, the actual file name for Stratmap Munger is StratEdit5.exe....

#64: Re: TLD Kharkov Mod bugs report and suggestions Author: johnsilverLocation: Florida PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 6:32 am
    —
Finished the Axis campaign on the 15th @ 11 AM, really nice time playing it. Used your vet for Axis and green for Ruskie settings as recommended. Will wait for version 2.2 to switch sides since am pretty sure that one will take longer and have feeling it's maybe coming out soon Drizzt?

Absolutely no more crashes after doing all those repairs.

#65: Re: TLD Kharkov Mod bugs report and suggestions Author: Drizzt PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 12:15 pm
    —
To John Silver: excellent that you have had no more crash problems. With “15th” you mean 15th day (26 May 1942) not 15 May right? You have obtained a total victory? (I ask for the score system I have set: even if I can’t know your progress in every single day I’m anyway curious).
For the truth, I have recommended line vs line but your settings are anyway good: the main difference with line vs line it’s the number of teams lost by both sides after have been forced to disband (especially about encircled BGs): they are rules of the org game and more high difficulty level means more teams lost.
For now v 2.2 it’s fully savegame compatible with v 2.1, but some map adjustments are not present in the savegame files: the game save map elements changes for next battles (example: hills full of shellholes due to mortar support) so a correction like a tree element added where there was a shadow tree painted it’s not visible in savegame files. Having said that, only 2-3 Btd files have been deeply reworked and this fact has only caused a “weird deployment” in the first battle (only the first) in already contested (if any) maps (of course only the maps with the btd file modified). Also changes in data are fully compatible: in the savegame only all 15 starting teams already present are not totally covered by the changes (you can change them in forcepools or wait that the game replaced them). Anyway, if you prefer to wait for a more “clean” campaign I understand: I think to release v 2.2 in two weeks or so.

To Tejszd: Ok, to be honest I have used stratedit many years ago (2004 or 2005: seems to me a geological era ago, I was yet at university) so I don’t remember all its options and I need to reinstall it in an old OS (32 bit) to make it work properly. Anyway, in the main folder I can see two dos .exe files named “strat” and “BTDEdit” (the second one for BTD files) and their respective links to run under windows: I mean that I don’t have “StratEdit5”.exe file in main folder: maybe it’s a more new version? If yes, where can I find it?

Drizzt

#66: Re: TLD Kharkov Mod bugs report and suggestions Author: johnsilverLocation: Florida PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 12:14 am
    —
My mistake on the wrong settings Drizzt, thought read here (or somewhere) to use those Vet/green.

I already deleted the Save files, except the last 2 and will gladly send them if you like. They are 2 different maps, both Russian supply hexes if you want them, you are very welcome to them and can see the date as the 15th of may.. i rarely used any armor (other than tanks/Stugs with AP shot) and was heavy with AT guns throughout.

A couple of the early-on-the-front-lines infantry units took a beating and wouldn't have lasted a whole lot longer at that pace.

Thanks for the great info the campaign and mod will be compatible with version 2.2. Not nearly as good attacking entire maps as partials/full blown assaults of course, but will go ahead and get started now.

#67: Re: TLD Kharkov Mod bugs report and suggestions Author: Drizzt PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 10:14 am
    —
Thanks for the offer John Silver, but on 15th may I have arrived me too (in past my first tests have been done with germans): I thought you had finished it on 26th May, on 15th may it's sure a total victory. You have won only with 6th Army BGs: very good.
I'm playing with russians and I can say that, even if the germans are more weak (until 17th May), they have more big supply depots than russians, some of them in maps strategically important because near to all russian supply routes.
As I have said in another post I'm not a good player because I'm on 17th May and german reinforcements have arrived: I have also lost Izyum map "without fault" because I have set the possibility that Bgs, in movement phase, can be redirected due to chaotic orders (or misunderstarding about them): this possibility it's of 10% from May 15th (to 28th) for the soviets, and it's of 5% from May 17th (to 28th) for the germans.
A small advice: be sure that IA has at least the same amount of your number of tanks when there are tank BGs vs tank BGs (command panzer III don't count beause it's without the main tank gun).

Drizzt

#68: Re: TLD Kharkov Mod bugs report and suggestions Author: johnsilverLocation: Florida PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 3:49 am
    —
It's ok Drizzit, i'm not very good either on full fledged attack moves, unless can have room to deploy guns/support units with full effect and starting with a tiny section is very hard with me for at least 1 turn and lose many units. I was almost thrown off the map vs the AI on one of the 1st turns it was so bad already here with the Russians.

After my 1st go around with the Axis? I don't think it was a bad idea to play vet/green. it increased units for the russians and decreased for the germans, making it more difficult for them. Am quite sure playing line/line this time around the russians will have less and the germans more this time, which is fine. Have played other mod campaigns which recommended those settings to even out odds and they generally work out fine.

Will say this.. It took me the entire 15th to clear out the bottom (lower) 5 maps, one of the R/H side supply maps and STILL fighting over the rest. Been an awful long time since played any mod/game at all CC related with the Russians and forgot virtually everything related to their equipment. One thing to go up against it, but another using it and remembering how to best use it's attributes to one's advantage. It's costing me dearly with the get back acquainted with curve.

I can see this campaign ending as it did historically.. or worse.. HAHA

#69: Re: TLD Kharkov Mod bugs report and suggestions Author: salhexe PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 2:33 pm
    —
I agree with Johnsilver, Playing russian elite vs german recruit its very fun and hard and I think it's a fair compromise for the historical reality.

I consider this setting as a vetmod, a really good job.

I started the GC with the new version, I had no problems except those with heavy mortar and the guns that "wrong facing" after shooting.

#70: Re: TLD Kharkov Mod bugs report and suggestions Author: Drizzt PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 5:45 pm
    —
To John Silver: I’m glad you are enjoying also using russians. After have created a breach in the first defensive line all will be more simple for russians because IA don’t have the capacity to think to a second defensive line more narrow and it will resist in every map to the last men: this conduct can be smart in the maps that can cut off human player supplies, but it’s not good if applied in every map and russians before the 17th may will have all their Bgs on the ground. Having said this, for sure will not be easy to win: Sometime I have been thrown off from some maps me too (not almost, but literally: german panzer vs russian infantry).
About difficulty level: I have tried another time just to be sure (sometime programmers codify some settings despite users settings but seems not in this case): just because I don’t have set different number of units in forcepools difficulty level, also in the game consequently this thing doesn’t happen (no different number of units with different difficulty levels). Anyway some crucial (and also minor) aspects like number of teams lost after forced to disband are for sure covered by difficulty level (they are org game issues/options).

To Salexe: About “wrong facing issue” I have already speaking about it in this thread: it seems an org game issue (with org game issue I mean: an issue that programmers don’t have taken in consideration because it doesn’t exist in the org game, so arty guns/heavy mortars indirect fire attitude it’s not properly “wrong”, it’s just not taken in consideration and it works as it works).
About difficulty level: the only merit I can take it’s that my work seems solid and “cleaned”, but I don’t have any kind of merit about the IA (I have set it in the right way, without “tricks”). Maybe programmers, on the contrary than in CC5, have set IA smarter considering difficulty levels? Personally I doubt about a thing like this, but if you see all this difference.. Who knows? Maybe it’s really in this way.
About number of teams I have already explained (see “to John Silver” in this post) that I don’t have modified the number of teams towards difficulty levels. Anyway I’m glad you have fun with the mod.

Drizzt

Edit: another thing about IA: towards org game, I have set it in a more aggressive way in campaign.txt file.

#71: Re: TLD Kharkov Mod bugs report and suggestions Author: johnsilverLocation: Florida PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 11:46 pm
    —
The wrong facing issue for the heavy mortars is much more far in between once you finally get a team to "Seen Battle" and really good once "experienced" It's survivability, as those teams are like guns and easier to spot than smaller mortars.

Thought would throw this in.. Had a 2 man German flamethrower team sneak behind Russian lines somehow and toast a AT gun of mine (76.2), kill off the crew and the Command unit that was there before finally dispatched those 2....

#72: Re: TLD Kharkov Mod bugs report and suggestions Author: TejszdLocation: Canada PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 2:38 am
    —
Stratedit works on Windows 7 64bit....

#73: Re: TLD Kharkov Mod bugs report and suggestions Author: Drizzt PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:45 am
    —
To John Silver: thanks for reporting, seemed to me also to have noticed this thing but I’m not sure that is only a problem of survivability: maybe the “bugged” aspect and the survivability aspect exist both (anyway I’m not sure).
About flamethrower teams yes.. they have surprised me also: sometime they seem “stealthy” like snipers. There is nothing in settings that I have changed for this result, maybe they were covered behind bush map elements or something similar.

To Tejszd: I’m sure you have reason, I will never discover it because even if the error message give me the hint to check OS version (32 bit - 64 bit), it’s very probable that the problem it’s the absence of the very old Microsoft java virtual machine: I have installed it in my old netbook with XP and I will not install it under win 7.

Drizzt

#74: Re: TLD Kharkov Mod bugs report and suggestions Author: johnsilverLocation: Florida PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 5:27 pm
    —
Hi Drizzt,

Something negative finally. It's something could change on my end easy enough with the the super easy number swap in "Campaign" from "1" to "0", but these deployed units showing up in all those previously taken (Axis supply units) spread all over the map is really getting to me. I (as the Russians now) have a choice of have "partisan" German units that I have cut off and defeated, only to show up at supply units have taken and left behind lines un guarded, or use those same Russian units to spear head a Russian attack.

I have now gone back,retaken those same hexes, guarded them and have virtually no units left to attack with. There are still several more German supply hexes spread over the map and they redeploy at some not on the corners/bottom.

I understand the campaign and how it historically was fought/ended and am happy to go about it's inclusion, was going to "run myself dry" by attacking to exhaustion, but not by having my supply lines cut off, which was obvious. Not as bone headed as Stalin, or his General staff.

Think cutting off a few of those hexes, or making them useable for supplying fuel only and not deploy only would work.

I looked at the campaign data and YES it is set properly to "0", but HAVE noticed a unit *actually come back* after being cut off which should not happen when it's set to that. Now.. I don't mind that at all anyway and have played Michael/TT/Selhexe's Vetmod like that several times, it's more fun that way, but WILL mention it to you.

#75: Re: TLD Kharkov Mod bugs report and suggestions Author: Drizzt PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 7:28 pm
    —
Hi John Silver, it’s all intentional and there are two reasons: the technical reason is that some of the advanced big depots assure the return of many advanced german Bgs (I have set a maximum distance of 3 maps to preserve the historical deployment: Bgs far more than 3 maps from big depots will never return after disband so in create scenario I have “studied” the best solution for this).
The second reason it’s that germans in this way have exactly the advantage that I wanted. Remember that they have many less troops than russians: in a fight 15 teams vs 15 teams, as in CC, normally they are superior, but in a long and exhausting campaign they will lose for sure if they don't "close the game" in a reasonable time. When I say "close the game" I mean to conquer the most part of the stratmap arriving to fight only in big russian depot maps.
The only “regret” it’s that some of these advanced big depots are not in border maps and the reason for this it’s the technical reason already explained.
Yes, playing with russians, you need to let some good Bgs in the maps with these advanced german big depots: russians before 17th May have all Bgs on the ground so it’s not an impossible task.

I’m sorry, but I don’t understand what you wanted to change from 1 to 0: seems to me to have understood that it’s already to 0 (at the end of your post) so for you already right, but I don’t understand which is the option you refer.
Anyway, speaking in general, cut off Bgs forced to disband can come back: org manual says that they will lose 50% of their infantry and all vehicles and tanks, but only if they were also totally unsupplied when forced to disband. If supplied (supplied = with some fuel yet, about ammo I’m not sure), even if cut off (cut off = no possibility of retreat) they will lose less units than when unsupplied (see org manual for all the details). Finally, there is an option in campaign.txt file that can be set to obtain that Bgs never come back after disbanded (but of course I don’t have set it in this way).

Drizzt

#76: Re: TLD Kharkov Mod bugs report and suggestions Author: johnsilverLocation: Florida PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 3:55 am
    —
Quote:
I’m sorry, but I don’t understand what you wanted to change from 1 to 0:

My fault on that Drizzit. I started the post above, then decided to open the Capaign.txt while was typing it out real quick and saw it was at "0" instead of at "1" as had thought was going to find it set at.

Thanks on explaining another that ALWAYS forget on.. How supply plays into what units whom are cut off and annihilated come back as. I *thought* when they were out of fuel? They were gone, but that isn't so it seems? Really need to go over some of this, remembered that when they are in "red", or low they lost a bunch of equipment.

Quote:
Finally, there is an option in campaign.txt file that can be set to obtain that Bgs never come back after disbanded (but of course I don’t have set it in this way).

probably just didn't go down far enough, or up. I went straight to Recycle Disbanded BGs section.. I will find it though. 1 of the areas (campaign data) have played with a lot.

#77: Re: TLD Kharkov Mod bugs report and suggestions Author: Drizzt PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 9:36 am
    —
Hi John Silver, "Recycle Disbanded BGs" it's exactly the option I refered at the end of my last post, I can assure you that has always been set to 1 (1 = return next day): few minutes ago I have checked the .rar of the full v 2.0 and the quick fix 2 to be totally sure (I have checked also patch v 2.1 but there isn't campaign.txt file in this patch).

Drizzt

#78: Re: TLD Kharkov Mod bugs report and suggestions Author: johnsilverLocation: Florida PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 5:48 pm
    —
Hi Drizzt,

Am getting confused now on this end. Haven't changed anything in the campaign.txt document as of yet, just went over some of the data, but the one we are mentioning and i referred above is set to "0" in WAR.

Here are both BG's retreat on rout and Recycle disbanded units copy/pasted:

Quote:
# Recycle Disbanded BGs (0 = Never come back, 1 = Return next day)
# Locked BGs (0 = unlocked, 1 = locked) Locked = player can not choose teams
# BGs retreat on rout (0 = disband on rout, 1 = retreat on rout)

I will send, or paste the entire txt if want, but I have not changed anything yet, just been surprised (mildly) by some of the settings changes, such as this one:

Quote:
# Allies suprised (on moves on turn 1) (0 = no, 1 = yes)
# Axis suprised (on moves on turn 1) (0 = no, 1 = yes)

A initial Russian attack and they are surprised?

Not attacking you here, so please don't misunderstand me. Some of the settings as compared to other campaigns is just a little different.

#79: Re: TLD Kharkov Mod bugs report and suggestions Author: Drizzt PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 6:41 pm
    —
Hi John Silver, I invite you to extract campaign.txt file from the .rar: recycled Bgs option is set to 1 (not to 0), and the surprised Bgs options have been set exactly to the opposite of what I can read in your last post. Please verify.

Drizzt

#80: Re: TLD Kharkov Mod bugs report and suggestions Author: johnsilverLocation: Florida PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 9:54 pm
    —
Oh my... Drizzt.. I apologize 100 times ..

Looked several times to what was gong on.. Thought about it and finally realized was opening the Data/base/campaign.txt file for the *STOCK* game earlier instead of your campaign that's inside the Kharkov folder...

Man am so sorry.. You are indeed entirely correct on the settings and everything is perfectly fine.. No idea what was thinking and knew better than that on my end...

Quote:
# Recycle Disbanded BGs (0 = Never come back, 1 = Return next day)
# Locked BGs (0 = unlocked, 1 = locked) Locked = player can not choose teams
# BGs retreat on rout (0 = disband on rout, 1 = retreat on rout)
# Number of days after arrival that Allied AB BGs are automatically in supply
# Number of days after arrival that Axis AB BGs are automatically in supply
# Allies suprised (on moves on turn 1) (0 = no, 1 = yes)
# Axis suprised (on moves on turn 1) (0 = no, 1 = yes)

Anyway... Settings are (as you said all along) absolutely perfect and I humbly apologize (again) for confusing you and myself with all of this.

On the 16th in the campaign and the Germans are in dire need of those reinforcements. The Russian non Guards armored units are in fairly sad shape also. 1 is down to *4* tanks.

#81: Re: TLD Kharkov Mod bugs report and suggestions Author: Drizzt PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 11:18 pm
    —
Hi John Silver, don’t worry it can happens. I’m glad that all works fine and to check the .rar files has been a matter of only one minute.
Some tank brigades are more weak than others because they have a balanced number of light and medium/heavy tanks. Some other tank brigades have more medium/heavy tanks than light tanks, and the two strong guards tank brigades are to a very similar level of german panzer battlegroups.
Anyway, there is a main difference between german light tanks and russian light tanks: almost all russian light tanks have a 45mm tank gun (40mm Valentine tank) so they can be a threat against every german tank, but they remain of course weak considering their armor: this fact means that some russian tank brigades need a different battlefield approach (more careful) against german panzer battlegroups.

Drizzt

#82: Re: TLD Kharkov Mod bugs report and suggestions Author: johnsilverLocation: Florida PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 11:57 pm
    —
Hi Drizzt,

Something have noticed regarding especially the Matilda's.. They are seemingly better than T34's for some reason vs, like Pz3's, including the J1's and H's and don't think it really should be? Not complaining, as 1 unit in particular that has many of them has few T34's and have begun using those Matilda's extensively now vs the German tanks.

#83: Re: TLD Kharkov Mod bugs report and suggestions Author: Drizzt PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 12:41 am
    —
About Matilda tank technical aspects I can’t use the word “perfect” because I don’t had a Stalingrad mod comparison at my disposal, anyway working on it I had interlocked the info of two CC5 mods with web info that I had found: the final result should be good.
About my feeling with Matilda tanks I have found them more weak than T-34 because I have lost them more quickly. Chuguev map is a wrecks desert: 13rd tank brigade now use artillery guns instead tanks against a german panzer Bg that has lost half of its tanks and 2/3 of its vehicles (on Chuguev map there are the same Bgs from May 12).
Another thing about Matilda tank: recently I have corrected its (graphic) turret position and rotation for v 2.2.

Drizzt

#84: Re: TLD Kharkov Mod bugs report and suggestions Author: johnsilverLocation: Florida PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 3:04 am
    —
The Matildas it seems so far do turn and move faster than the T34. that must be what your 2.2 has fixed. The gun have also noticed has the "green kill circle" on aiming shots. I will check sometimes, even when don't target tanks to see if the guns have a decent kill shot. The 40mm 2lbd'er seems to have a better chance, even at longer range on frontal shots at the fore mentioned J1's and 3H's, if only because the reload time seems faster.

Just thought would mention this.

#85: Re: TLD Kharkov Mod bugs report and suggestions Author: Drizzt PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 11:00 am
    —
Thanks for reporting: the main tank gun come from Der Kessel mod comparison (Valentine and Matilda tanks have the same tank gun), anyway I will take a look to all the things you have mentioned.

Drizzt

#86: Re: TLD Kharkov Mod bugs report and suggestions Author: johnsilverLocation: Florida PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 4:30 pm
    —
Hi Drizzit,

Not attempting to get you yourself to reinvent the wheel here on your excellent mod here. Many of the AI players probably wouldn't have tinkered with the 3.7 Pak enough  to figure it out earlier and i enjoy playing around with obsolete equipment anyway sometimes, for instance those matilda's and especially the T60's and Pz1 and 2's when was using the germans, so find weird things like that.. It happens and will stop posting them here even if you wish.

FWIW? I have had a couple of T60's make it to nearly 100 infantry kills so far and DID have a Pz2 that made it that far before was finally destroyed while playing the germans. Still have a surviving T60 with 68 Infantry kills, 4 medals that includes 3 for the main 20mm gunner.

I consider THAT Cavalry unit attached to, with all the BA10's, 60+ Cavalry units 10T34's the best overall russian unit. Weird huh?

#87: Re: TLD Kharkov Mod bugs report and suggestions Author: Drizzt PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 10:05 pm
    —
Don’t worry, no problem for me. In mod data I have checked Matilda and T-34 speed and acceleration: about speed T-34 is rightly faster; instead, about acceleration I had set it identical for both: maybe I can decrease Matilda acceleration.

About tank guns, always in mod data, I have verified that T-34 tank gun it’s really more powerful than 2 pounder tank gun, and also its range is really better. Only HE shells have a similar power (both rightly weak about mm penetration), but AP shells (that against tanks are the main shells) are really different (in favour of T-34).

Drizzt

#88: Re: TLD Kharkov Mod bugs report and suggestions Author: johnsilverLocation: Florida PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 2:12 am
    —
Quote:
I have tried another time just to be sure (sometime programmers codify some settings despite users settings but seems not in this case): just because I don’t have set different number of units in forcepools difficulty level, also in the game consequently this thing doesn’t happen (no different number of units with different difficulty levels).

Hi Drizzt,

Got another one.

Possibly leave an option, as Selhexe does with his various mods by making forcepool changes possible by changing number of units available in Veteran/Green/line etc.. Seems they are the same in that post if I understand it right and as of nearly completing the 15th as the Russians? Have managed to encircle/destroy enough German units to cut off enough of them to make sure they are hurting and out of fuel when they come back, or are in weak shape by now and it will be some time before the reinforcements for them arrive.

Yes.. There is 1 of the german units running around behind lines, but the armor is lacking on even the 2 strongest German armored divisions. Possibly making the skill level "active" is a help? I do not know how to go about that, my use of some of the data is not that high, unless it's posted here, or am pointed to the required tools.

#89: Re: TLD Kharkov Mod bugs report and suggestions Author: Drizzt PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 2:44 am
    —
Hi John Silver, in the quote of your last post I have realized that I had forgotten a key word to understand the real sense of my quoted phrase: "I have tried TO VERIFY another time etc etc.". I know exactly how to obtain different number of teams in different difficulty levels: don't do it it's my choice. Having said this, if Salexe have will to do this kind of work (and you want use it) for me of course it's totally ok, but personally I will not change my decision about fixed forcepools.

About "skill level active" I don't undestand what you refer (I'm sorry), and to be honest I'm not sure to have fully understood the general sense of that phrase ("armor is lacking on even"... you mean their number? You mean a constant decrease of the number of tanks in the two panzer division you have mentioned?).

Drizzt

#90: Re: TLD Kharkov Mod bugs report and suggestions Author: johnsilverLocation: Florida PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 8:46 pm
    —
Hi Drizzt,

The veteran/line/recruit adjusts number of units on the map for battle groups is what I was describing. IOW? A BG would have far less units available if set at "veteran" than say at "green".

have this one over on the 16th for all practical purposes. Going to wait and see if Germans can push back russians any with the reinforcements that will arrive in 2 more turns, but don't see any hope of it. Most of the german BG's have been hard hit, much worse than the Russian ones in campaign here.

Finally took a hard look at the weapons.txt and reminded me that the 2.8cm "squeeze bore" gun on some half tracks for the german wouldn't even fire on anything light tank wise for myself, short of BA-10 and 20 AC's.

The 10.5cm and up heavy artillery is nasty for both sides with those not requiring a direct LOS. If target a "general fire area" and have an LOS with one? They still fire wide patterns, it's only if they have a target and a direct LOS do those heavy guns fire a narrow pattern it seems. Tried that multiple times to confirm and with ML-20 and ML-30 guns up to "Experienced" in experience.

#91: Re: TLD Kharkov Mod bugs report and suggestions Author: johnsilverLocation: Florida PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 7:59 am
    —
Last issue think on this campaign Drizzt.

Had the no FP crash for the Germans, that is a nasty bug have found on a few other mods. Some others have suggested going back to the start of the previous day in a campaign and starting it from that point, but I have had mixed results with that tactic. Generally restarting is the only way to get rid of it for good.

Have had several CTD's near the end of scenarios and it *was* on maps littered with wrecks.

The no force pool error was for the 191/71st German and occurred on the 18th at 3pm, was pretty much playing on many of the same maps for the last couple of days when new units arrived, except for several German units that were roaming behind the lines and was chasing down, but there were 15+ wrecks and literally hundreds of mortar holes on some of the maps was having crash issues with before the no FP bug.

FWIW, my WAR is patched to the latest and playing this campaign was a royal blast from both sides.. A job very well done and hope that one day again you take on another project akin to this Smile

#92: Re: TLD Kharkov Mod bugs report and suggestions Author: Drizzt PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 10:24 am
    —
Hi John Silver,

About difficulty level I understand your point of view that it’s probably the point of view of the users majority, but I will not change my decision because seems to me to “cheat” towards the “historical balance” that I have created.

About 2.8cm AT gun: it’s a weak gun so it’s normal that it has many black targets. I’m not sure what you have reported about it: you mean that it never shots when used by IA? Or that it shots too much and hopeless against medium/heavy tanks? Or something different?

About artillery guns indirect fire: it’s a game limitation; we can’t use the precision of a direct fire when arty guns have a clear shot so a modder must do a choice. Personally, as “experiment”, I have set direct fire for the secondary shells, but I have seen that the game engine don’t change the kind of shells in the game and it uses the secondary shells (with direct fire) only after have depleted the indirect fire shells.

Old wrecks CTD: I hoped that it had been fixed… I don’t have it in Chuguev map in my campaign (this map it’s full of wrecks, I’m on 17th may). The bug occurred because  game engine try to place wrecks at random from previous battle results, but more wrecks are on the terrain, more possibilities exist that it try to place them in a map point where there is already a wreck and this is the why the game crashes. Anyway the wrecks bug it’s not a constant crash bug.

Forcepools bug: I’m really disappointed about the existence of this kind of bug because I have never seen it in past: of course a BG with empty forcepool should fight with its last starting teams remained and after this it must be considered destroyed (it must return no more).  Some questions:
Why are you sure that it’s a bug about empty forcepools? You have an error message?
Seems to me to understand that you have resolved using a previous save game file: have you have encountered no more BGs with empty forcepools after have continued with the previous savegame file?
Last thing: you speak about other mods, but the dynamics of this bug it’s more similar to an original game bug: have you ever encountered BGs with empty forcepools in org TLD (and other CC org game)?
I also suspect that can be a “mathematic issue” bug during the game engine calculation of number of teams lost in forcepools after that a BG is forced to disband in relation with the number 0 already present in many/all forcepools teams (due to the various battles that have depleted the BG).

About future projects: yes, I’m working on an improved version of one of my favourites CC5 mods. I mean that I’m porting it to TLD and fixing/improving various (usually minor) issues about Data, graphic etc. Moreover, Campaign and Ops will be not identical thanks to the new possibilities that TLD game engine offers. Anyway, when will be ready, I don’t know if I will be able to release it: it will depend to the mod author and I have never contacted him in past (and I don’t see his posts here from a long time).

Drizzt

#93: Re: TLD Kharkov Mod bugs report and suggestions Author: johnsilverLocation: Florida PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 6:21 pm
    —
Quote:
Why are you sure that it’s a bug about empty forcepools? You have an error message?

Hi Drizzt,

It's a bug that when you click on a unit, like on the strat map, it shows the opposing unit as having no forces available to oppose you in the forthcoming battle. It always crashes the game. Not wanting to be negative about anyone here who ever put the time into a campaign/mod, but the only one ever had an issue with, was a mod for WAR (not by Platoon Michael, nor TT's) that was not for prior patch of WAR and it had this happen a LOT, the Nomada FF version that was fairly good otherwise.

For what it's worth? The other way forgot to sometimes get around this crazy bug and sometimes works and also DID this time? Exit the game.. Clean out everything.. Let it sit overnight (sounds crazy).. Boot cold.. Go back and just hope the particular unit isn't on the map and the map where the particular unit "was" shows up with the "battle already fought" icon, which generally means that in this case the 191/71st is history.. I hope and isn't going to become a ghost division...

After trying.. And trying...And TRYING to complete FF's campaign so many times over the course of months a few years back? I fought to find ways around that bug. The ones have been listin above are all ones ran into, as well as things tried, but this is the only 2 have seen it in Drizzt. What causes it? I dunno. i actually contacted Nomada about it and he told me (finally) that he wasn't interested in CC anymore, not going to do anything about it and that it was all patch related after he dug into it some.

Hope this helps, rather than gives you headaches.

#94: Re: TLD Kharkov Mod bugs report and suggestions Author: Drizzt PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 7:25 pm
    —
Thanks for the full info John Silver. I have checked forcepools and BGs  data files: all seems perfect so I hope that the BG will not become a ghost division (let me know what will happens: ghost divisions normally mean errors in data settings).

There is a thing that is not clear: it happens when you click on a unit in stratmap? But in this case it's a secondary thing: the real problem is if it crashes when it's the time to fight with the BG involved.
Anyway, I need more info: can you attach the savegame file involved in one of you post?

Drizzt

#95: Re: TLD Kharkov Mod bugs report and suggestions Author: johnsilverLocation: Florida PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 12:57 am
    —
Quote:
There is a thing that is not clear: it happens when you click on a unit in stratmap? But in this case it's a secondary thing: the real problem is if it crashes when it's the time to fight with the BG involved.

As someone (me) who has seen this no forcepool error before? Yes, it definitely will. As soon as I hit "execute", finished my 1st battle,, went to the next and saw a division, or BG that thought was long gone on the map as an opponent? I immediately clicked that group, saw it had -0- units in it's force poop (the fore mentioned 191/71st) and didn't go any further, but exited the game and started my usual ways to 'fix" the campaign rather than play that next scenario, which would crash the game and campaign from prior experience with that type of bug on the old Nomada campaign.

After my explained ways of cleaning (clean out everything, files, other saves except 2 previous etc.. Cold boot hours later) that SAME save showed the exact same map WITHOUT the 191/71st even ON the strat map AND the "battle finished" ICON. I truly, truly think this is one of the funkiest bugs/things have ever encountered in a game in my 30 years of playing games on computers.

As for the save? Yeah. I still have it you want it, No problem, will describe map and all for sure. Offered before to send any if it will help and even play the thing again, it was a blast.

#96: Re: TLD Kharkov Mod bugs report and suggestions Author: Drizzt PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 2:06 am
    —
Ok John Silver, now I have fully understood what has happened. If you have resolved using the same savegame file I don't need the savegame file, and just because you have used the same savegame file I'm enough sure that it's not a mod problem: data setting problems will never resolve by themself, even more so in the same savegame file.  
Speaking about pure conjecture: I can suppose that many savegame files have.. "mess up what the game engine remembers about previous turns and/or mixed the provisional memory about them" (sorry for this strange definition: I hope it's anyway clear what I want to say). I remember a bug due to the high number of savegame files in CC5. Anyway it's only a conjecture.

Drizzt

#97: Re: TLD Kharkov Mod bugs report and suggestions Author: johnsilverLocation: Florida PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 3:00 am
    —
Quote:
data setting problems will never resolve by themself, even more so in the same savegame file.  

I know, that is what is so weird to me and confusing and I just can't understand what is going on with everything. HOW can something (a unit) just go *poof* like that in a save file that crashes a game like that in a file? This time, with you here willing to work with it it seems even I wish it would have stayed crashed, the last time it stayed crashed, and no offense to Nomada, who has moved on to other things, he just didn't want to fool around with it much anymore and of course have long since deleted those files and I was forced to try and figure out those other tactics described above to work around it.

I'll take a screenshot *if* it ever happens again with it and post it. Also? Think may have mentioned it to Michael here.. Not sure? he floats around this topic on occasion.

As for the high number of saves? Yes.. I save after every turn even and have heard that before. could be an issue, same with the high number of wrecks, damage to the maps which is a well known issue and was probably the reason on those later game playing as Russian CTD's, or am pretty certain. Last turn played I am SURE there was a 100 (or more) 12cm craters and 8-10 buildings destroyed by cannon fire, it was a total mess, plus tank hulks everywhere.

#98: Re: TLD Kharkov Mod bugs report and suggestions Author: Drizzt PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 5:37 pm
    —
Hi to all, how works (in my mod) for you the red ring in map overview (it’s the red ring that identify map position in the small stratmap when you are on map screen)?
For Kharkov mod I have been obliged to correct every red ring map coordinates manually because in bed9 tool and paintshop pro coordinates seemed perfect, but in the game they were wrong of something like 20-25 pixel of length and 4-8 pixel of height. Very strange.. it seemed something like a 16:9 issue that affects only exclusively map overview coordinates (all others coordinates were perfect).
Now I have the same problem with the mod conversion I’m working on, so before to do another manual correction I’m curious how Kharkov red ring coordinates (that I have set) are visualized in other user monitors. Take as example only small maps, Kharkov city maps are probably the best to check (they are the more recognizable in the small stratmap): their red ring positions are right or wrong for you?

Of course, if someone knows a solution/explanation about the problem I have described I’m glad to hear it.

Drizzt

#99: Re: TLD Kharkov Mod bugs report and suggestions Author: johnsilverLocation: Florida PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 11:22 pm
    —
Modified suggestions for Kharkov mod Drizzt,

I'd like to see the slider where can make opposition from Vet/green change oppositional composition. 2nd time through as Germans, it has became more apparent that *1st* priority is to look and see if the Russian armored unit has a Katyusha on the map, and if so? Eliminate it at all costs. Once those are gone, the rest is not as bad.

The number of forces, historical as it is, for game balance.. If allowed to be adjusted via the slider vs the AI would give the Russians a much better chance, especially after all those reinforcements arrive on the 17th for the Germans.. My2c there, or at least 2x the 6-8 amount of Katyusha the AI has per some armored units, or stick 2 on the map per unit for the AI.

Am going to "go around again" and look for more, this is just one of those mods that thoroughly enjoy and rarely see. Don't take my comments the wrong way Drizzt.

#100: Re: TLD Kharkov Mod bugs report and suggestions Author: tigercubLocation: charters towers PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 4:31 pm
    —
just a few things....I like what I see so far good work thanks for making....

I noted that you have 122mm field gun with HT rounds pretty sure they did not have them!

and that its HE was a bit low not effective for it size!

to many large guns ..rockets and so on.

but very happy to see the Russian front ...

Tigercub

#101: Re: TLD Kharkov Mod bugs report and suggestions Author: johnsilverLocation: Florida PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 9:17 pm
    —
Quote:
I noted that you have 122mm field gun with HT rounds pretty sure they did not have them!

Think Drizzt kind of made up for this with only making the field guns worthwhile vs armor when they automatically pick up armor/target them on their own and *not* when you target them yourselves if you tested them yourselves. They will have the "spread" effect on fire, even when they have a clear/light tan LOS line and don't seem to do much towards armor and of course are generally targeted themselves then.

As for the amount of hits required for tanks, I don't think it's that bad. The 10.5's for instance have counted over 10 on a KV before a kill on one occasion and that is hits.

The power of artillery explosions (lost tanks) Katysusha blasts (lost tanks) and especially? Those werfrahman blasts that have fairly "tight" areas of fire and more effective than the Katyusha's are (to me) far worse than the artillery and **not** complaining at all about those, as just refuse to deploy the werfrahman as Germans and would like to see the Russians use more Katyusha's when playing against the AI.

#102: Re: TLD Kharkov Mod bugs report and suggestions Author: Dima PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 11:03 pm
    —
Quote:

of course they didn't.

Quote:

yes, same problem as with UK 95mm - cast iron shells Smile.

#103: Re: TLD Kharkov Mod bugs report and suggestions Author: Drizzt PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 12:13 am
    —
To John Silver: I take your post in the right way don’t worry. Suggestions are totally welcomed and about this argument, simply, I have already explained that I prefer don’t change the balance that I have created.

To Tigercub: about number of heavy guns and rocket launchers please see my reply to John Silver above (in this post).

To Tigercub and Dima: about heat shells of 122mm guns yes, I know that they don’t were available: as I have said in another post I have done an “experiment” to obtain both direct and indirect fire used by heavy guns including them (and to see if the game engine changed from one to another or not): unfortunately, it was impossible to set both kind of fire in one kind of ammo (in this case both in HE). I'm not sure if to eliminate heat shells for them or not (for the fact that they simulate direct fire): I will decide... (and another thing: I’m not 100% sure but also the 10.5cm german heavy gun probably need a correction: in this case the correction should be to use AP shells instead heat shells for the direct fire).

Drizzt

#104: Re: TLD Kharkov Mod bugs report and suggestions Author: TejszdLocation: Canada PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 7:31 pm
    —
To John Silver: I take your post in the right way don’t worry. Suggestions are totally welcomed and about this argument, simply, I have already explained that I prefer don’t change the balance that I have created.

By using the difficulty slider to later the forces you are not taking away the historically accurate Line Vs Line you have created but are making one side or the other easier or harder, using quantity, type of units, morale, etc. that you choose, to balance the game better between unequal opponents (human or AI).

#105: Re: TLD Kharkov Mod bugs report and suggestions Author: Drizzt PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 8:10 pm
    —
To Tejszd: of course I know it, it’s my choice don't do this kind of work. I consider it like "to cheat", it's only my point of view: I really don't like the different difficulty levels (I have never used them and I have never used vetmods).

Drizzt

#106: Re: TLD Kharkov Mod bugs report and suggestions Author: johnsilverLocation: Florida PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 4:56 am
    —
To Tejszd: of course I know it, it’s my choice don't do this kind of work. I consider it like "to cheat", it's only my point of view: I really don't like the different difficulty levels (I have never used them and I have never used vetmods).

Drizzt

We continue going over this Drizzt and it is indeed your mod. Not complaining.. It's a lot of fune, but you posted above: "I consider it like "to cheat" and playing, well like in my case and am sure 99% of the others who vary the opponents strength against the AI is not a cheat as we make it as hard as we can, hence the various vetmods available.

Some of the mods which DO allow setting the player as vet, AI to green will severely cripple the actual player. There are some BOB mods like this as examples.

Running through games with no opposition is no fun, making them difficult is.

#107: Re: TLD Kharkov Mod bugs report and suggestions Author: Drizzt PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 9:37 am
    —
to John Silver: yes, to play with no opposition is not good, it's a matter concerning the IA: many many games have an IA ridiculous (for example big productions like total war games have a really, really bad IA towards their badget: no real diplomacy, money cheat, and "strange" moves on the battlefield if I remember well). IA it's a serious question than need many, many time for a real fine development (almost always, software houses don't do this kind of work, it's more easy "to cheat"), but this thing has nothing to do with CC forcepools. Forcepools must have a (plausible) historical balance in my opinion and they will remain in this way. Anyway some org game options that make TLD more hard to play are already present moving the difficulty strength bar.

Drizzt

#108: Re: TLD Kharkov Mod bugs report and suggestions Author: MG422 PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 5:21 pm
    —
Drizzt,

Much thanks again for creating such a great mod.  Also for fixing and responding to some of the issues that members have made.

Also thanks to John Silver for all of his feedback on it as well.

I noticed when I downloaded the 2.2 file yesterday it showed up as file type of .man and not as a .rar (eventhough it shows up as this on the link).  I just got two windows 8.1 lap tops and dont believe it is a win 8.1 thing.  Last night, I was able to change the extension to .rar and the file looks correct I haven't installed it yet). I do not know if you want to let people know or change the extension on the file to .rar.  

Plan to begin playing it next week.  If I see anything else, I will let you know.

#109: Re: TLD Kharkov Mod bugs report and suggestions Author: FMJ PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 5:36 pm
    —
Hi mg422,

you just need "7zip" to use the man file, its a pretty good program, free as well. Simple to install 7zip, then just right click on the 'man' file to extract.
http://www.7-zip.org/

Hi Drizzt, thanks for all your efforts on this, getting ready to start a new campaign and looking forward to playing.

I wonder if its best to play as grmns or ruskies first? Cheers

#110: Re: TLD Kharkov Mod bugs report and suggestions Author: johnsilverLocation: Florida PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 7:46 pm
    —
Quote:
I noticed when I downloaded the 2.2 file yesterday it showed up as file type of .man and not as a .rar (eventhough it shows up as this on the link).

Hi MG422 and welcome to the discussion.

Drizzt made a fine mod with his Kharkov one here.

You will need the 2.0 full version, then install the 2.2 patch onto it as well.

Kharkov download

It's not hard to do and his read me included, as well in that discussion page tells how. it fixes some bugs. Main 2.0 file was around 350mb as recall.

Have fun, I have gone thru this thing 3 times (or on 3rd) and having a blast.

JS

#111: Re: TLD Kharkov Mod bugs report and suggestions Author: Drizzt PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 8:45 pm
    —
to mg422: I have used winrar to compress the files (I'm sure: I have checked it now): are you sure to have winrar properly installed? I don't have win8, anyway I have fixed it one time to one of my friends and seems to me enough similar to win7 (I have seen it only 15 minutes). Try to unistall and reinstall winrar if you have it already installed.

to FMJ: I don't have preferences but probably to play with russians it's a bit more difficult.

Drizzt

#112: Re: TLD Kharkov Mod bugs report and suggestions Author: Schmal_Turm PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 8:22 pm
    —
Drizzt,

Decided to try something different and play the operation "Battle of Kharkov" and when I got to the Borovaia map as I was nearing the end of the time it crashed two times in succession. I was able to replay it with no damage and then the third time it played through even though I did nothing different.

#113: Re: TLD Kharkov Mod bugs report and suggestions Author: johnsilverLocation: Florida PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 4:15 am
    —
The more I play this, the more it is enjoyable and have to get around the weaknesses of each side, or use the strengths. The German mechanized infantry units that don't have the Stug F, the units that have at best the captured 76AT gun. German armored units missing the F2.

The Infantry (German) are still weak vs armor with the latest patch. I have managed to damage armor now, but that is all with the tellermine equipped AT teams.

The KV1(E) is the "King" of the battlefield. Hope that a 75mm will pick it up, have an artillery piece on the map, a 88mm equipped unit, or multiple F2's, because that thing is nearly impervious.

#114: Re: TLD Kharkov Mod bugs report and suggestions Author: Drizzt PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 4:41 pm
    —
to John Silver: about AT infantry soldiers I can only say that this time all it has set in the right way. At short distance they are strong/medium (about power against tanks), at medium and long distance they are weak/very weak (and seems to me right: no panzershreck or panzerfaust in 1942). Only soldiers with mines are very strange for me: it seems to me that they never (or rarely? I hope rarely) use mines.

Drizzt

#115: Re: TLD Kharkov Mod bugs report and suggestions Author: Aetius PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 3:38 pm
    —
I'm Playing the Kharkov 2.2 mod as the soviets Vs AI on WAR.

Everything works but i've had frequent crashes just before or after battles kicking me out of WAR, i could allways resume if i started WAR again and resume the campaign.
I was really getting into the mod and amazed on the agressive German AI, i' ve played several days into the grand campaign now and right after a battle the game crashed, everytime i want to open the saved grand campaign WAR freezes.

I've tried "changing sides" using the save game editor but the problem remains.

Does anyone know a program that opens saved games for editing?

Thanks in advance

#116: Re: TLD Kharkov Mod bugs report and suggestions Author: johnsilverLocation: Florida PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 6:13 pm
    —
Apologies for playing "Too Late the hero" here (good Michael Caine war flick BTW), but I learned long ago to make dbl backups, like "B1, B2 etc.. Then always redo something like "stop" as a save point when ending a battle for that terrible issue occurs you just described, because it's an ultimate game crasher unless you go back to another game point and retry.

You are using the 4.50.15b patch? Just making sure. I had a handful of minor CTD issues with this mod, but nothing major where couldn't get back to it and finish the same battle again with WAR and that patch.

#117: Re: TLD Kharkov Mod bugs report and suggestions Author: Drizzt PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 8:24 pm
    —
to Aetius: what John Silver explains is right. I also suggest to you, as I say in the readme file, to uninstall WAR and my mod (conserving savegame files) and to reinstall all (be sure to delete all related folders even if empty before to reinstall all): maybe it's an installation corrupted problem and in this way you can resolve the problem.

Drizzt

#118: Re: TLD Kharkov Mod bugs report and suggestions Author: Aetius PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 7:17 am
    —
You 're right i've should have backupped my game, but i didn't (sadly enough).
Been playing CC for more than 10 years now, i should know better by now  Embarassed

@Drizzt,

I don't think a full reinstall will solve the problem, i can play the Kharkov mod but it just freezes when opening the saved game of the grand campaign i was playing, so i guess it's only the saved game file that's corrupted.

Thanks for making such a challeging mod Vs AI, i really enjoy playing the mod.

I'll have no other option than to start a new GC.

#119: Re: TLD Kharkov Mod bugs report and suggestions Author: Drizzt PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 9:22 am
    —
to Aetius: remember only that the kind of corrupted installation I have in mind involve only (or in major part) the savegame files and to try to reinstall, deleting before all empty folders, it's a matter of five minutes. Anyway as you prefer.

Another thing: I have said that what John Silver has explained is right, but to be honest with you I must also say that I have never had this kind of problems (corrupted savegame and/or installation). When I say never, I really mean never (never with CC5 and its mods, never with TLD/WAR and its mods), and I think it's because I never use modswap and similar things.

I only remember a similar problem many, many years ago after have used modswap (or a similar thing) just to try to see how it worked, than I have used it no more. I know that you haven't used modswap to install my mod, I speak about a continuative usage of modswap (and similar things) that can create problems also after the installation (also manual) of a mod, and also if you haven't used it after the installation of a mod (but before yes).

Drizzt

#120: Re: TLD Kharkov Mod bugs report and suggestions Author: johnsilverLocation: Florida PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 3:05 pm
    —
Hey Drizzt,

Think when had those crash issues bad that it was on the 2.0 version and had to wipe out everything folder wise. I went back and linked pages, just on page2 of this topic here:

crash link

Campaign went smooth after that I thought, other than normal CTD issues all have sometimes. It wasn't the "hard" error that sometimes get from using the wrong patch for a campaign or anything.

#121: Re: TLD Kharkov Mod bugs report and suggestions Author: Aetius PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 12:36 pm
    —
I've uninstalled the kharkov mod and WAR, deleted all remaining folders, reinstalled WAR + 4.50.15b patch and installed the kharkov mod + 2.2 patch but the problem with the saved game remains.

I'm going to start a new GC and report if i have any more CTD's and/or if CTD's are less frequent.

#122: Re: TLD Kharkov Mod bugs report and suggestions Author: Drizzt PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 12:57 pm
    —
to Aetius: ok, good to know: sometime it's a corrupted intallation, sometime it's only the savegame file.
The savegame file it's about a campaign started with v 2.2 of the mod right? If you want I will take a look to your savegame file (if you want, attach it in one of your post and I will download it).

Drizzt

#123: Re: TLD Kharkov Mod bugs report and suggestions Author: Aetius PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 3:09 pm
    —
Hi Drizzt,

corrupted saved campaign in attach (i had to zip it to attach).

Yes, the campaign was started after i've installed V2.2.

Thanks for taking a look at it.

Aetius

#124: Re: TLD Kharkov Mod bugs report and suggestions Author: Drizzt PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 4:21 pm
    —
to Aetius: it works for me, but for a reason that I don't know I'm obliged to wait 20-22 seconds to enter in the stratmap: in these seconds the game seems "freezed" but fortunately it's not.
It seems that WAR .exe file demands more hardware resources than TLD (in past, with an old hardware, I have had similar problems with CC5 stratmaps full of battlegroups during movement phase and some crash problems depended also from these hardware issues), or maybe the savegame it's really in a certain sense corrupted, and it demands more resources but anyway it works: I suggest to you to wait at least 1-2 minutes and to see if the game enters, at the end, in stratmap: remember that the movement phase it's a crucial phase about "hardware resources and CC number of battlegroups issue" and if you will be able to fight the first battle of the day (returning to debrief screen without crash) the game should be "stabilize" by itself.

I hope can help (try also .exe windows OS compatibility if the freeze will not ends).

Drizzt

#125: Re: TLD Kharkov Mod bugs report and suggestions Author: johnsilverLocation: Florida PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 4:34 pm
    —
Some of the last turn, or movement phases do seemingly take *forever* in WAR and that's not just the Kharkov mod, but some of the BOB mods also Drizzt. Nothing low end in my desktop either, but it takes 1 minute plus sometimes for the engine to calculate the moves before moving.

SAME thing when loading  the game that is by chance a new day mission that includes a movement mission. Sometimes after hitting "next" the game you could think it has frozen possibly and that is something in WAR only to me, just the Mods.

#126: Re: TLD Kharkov Mod bugs report and suggestions Author: Aetius PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 4:51 pm
    —
Thanks for the tip Drizzt, it works now  Very Happy .
Had to wait at least a minute before the game continued, but it did.

I've played a lot of other mods on WAR but this is the first time i've noticed this behaviour.

thanks again for the help and making a fun and challenging mod.

#127: Re: TLD Kharkov Mod bugs report and suggestions Author: Drizzt PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 5:15 pm
    —
to John Silver: I don't understand the "low end" english language expression in the phrase you have used it, but I think to have understood the general sense: personally, I think that some CC exe files have not been well optimized (exe not optimized= sometime it demands resources that it don't need) but I'm not sure.
It's also possible that these exe files have not been well optimized only about certain specific situations and or when/mods have been set in a certain way. This kind of problems can be resolved only with a "personal WAR version" of the mod (if really in TLD these problems never happen) after have found what it causes the problems: it will not be easy.. for example, also very secondary things like the length of weapons names (vehicles names etc.) can be, potentially, responsible of instability problems (considering also a hypothetical difference between TLD exe and WAR exe)
What you mean with BoB mods? I thought BoB = Battle of Berlin. If you explain me which mods you mean I will try to search similarities between my mod and these mods.

Drizzt

#128: Re: TLD Kharkov Mod bugs report and suggestions Author: johnsilverLocation: Florida PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 7:33 pm
    —
Hey Drizzt,

When I post "BOB" to me, it means Battle Of The Bulge, or WAR.

I see this delay numerous times in well designed mods by good mod makers. TT, Platoon Michael. The vetmod for WAR between days have seen it DRAG sometimes when a movement phase where the AI is making multiple moves in the early stages of a campaign.

By "not low end" I meant my PC. I build all of mine. Mine is a 6 core AMD built a little over a year ago with AMD 7750 graphics and 16gb ram.

#129: Re: TLD Kharkov Mod bugs report and suggestions Author: Oberschutze PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 3:13 am
    —
Hi folks,

Every time I click 'play', I get this error message, and the game subsequently crashes. Any ideas?

All of the mod files appear to be in the right spot. I'm not really sure what I did wrong. I did a clean install of TLD. I did not update. I installed the mod, and then this...

#130: Re: TLD Kharkov Mod bugs report and suggestions Author: Drizzt PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 10:57 am
    —
Hi Oberschutze, I have never seen this kind of error, anyway it really seems an istallation issue. Uninstall all, then install TLD and TLD last patch 5.50.14b, after this install TLD Kharkov mod using the auto installer.
Only one thing it's not clear, you say "I did not update": if you mean no original game patch installed, you must update TLD to the last patch (as I have just said up here).

Drizzt

Edit, another thing: after uninstall and before reinstalling, delete all org game folders remained (if any) even if they are empty (and also the main folder).

Close Combat Series -> Kharkov

output generated using printer-friendly topic mod. All times are GMT

Page 1 of 1